• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Forgive me if I am delayed with all of these updates, playing Real Life™ right now is eating up my time. As for N3ON, that's nice to know.

Also, writing up the arguments right as I speak. Apparently the ones I've listed are apparently good enough, ether that or people are just ignoring it, but still it's getting written up. I'll add the argument onto the OP later on.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why was I left out of the Supporter's List? I even gave a reason. (-_-)
I support Takamaru because I really want to see a Samurai-esque fighter in Smash, and particularly any interesting tricks that Sakurai gives him in his moveset. Well, is this enough?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I support him because something about makes him standout way more than the other Japanese exclusive characters. It's just that the overall design and his "backstory" established what type of moveset he would have and in Smash and how different he would be from characters like Link and Marth personality-wise.

Hong

The Strongest
I actually really liked Nazo no Murasame Jo. I am hoping the move for more retro characters can make this possible.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm not a fan of more sword users, but think Takamaru would be the most unique way to go.

Katanas aren't swords. They're a way of life :shades:

But yeah, Takamaru's got potential to be so much more than that, and it excites me! Shurikens... :happysheep: :happysheep:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Add me to the supporters list!

He is the best retro character!

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I support Takamaru because samurai are awesome, and I actually think he has the potential to be a fairly unique fighter.Not sure if this is enough or not.

Also, having actually legally played Nazo no Murasamejo, I can say it's really fun. But also really, really, hard.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
There isn't really a problem with sword users to begin with. The weapon of choice does not deteriorate a character, but rather the character themselves. The character is the one that judges how a character should play, not the weapon.

I will also say that people do exaggerate how many sword users we have. Technically speaking we have a total of 7 as of Brawl out of 39, 8 if you want to count Roy too. Even then, they are pretty distinctive enough that it's a pretty mild pet peeve.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Why my username isn't in the supporter list is beyond me. Takamaru is easily one of the most interesting character out of the retro choices.

We may have sword users in Smash, but we don't have any katana users. Takamaru using a katana is enough to give him a unique moveset, since katanas are different from the more European-like swords Link, Marth and Ike use.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Now that my #1 retro pick, Balloon Fighter, is unfortunately pretty much deconfirmed, I'm behind Takamaru as the next retro character. I've always supported him in addition to BF, but now I'm throwing my weight behind him. Murasame Castle is a cult classic in Japan, and I'm not against Japan-only characters as long as we get our Western favorites as well.

The fact that Takamaru uses a two-handed sword is more important than the fact that he uses a katana. The use of two-handed swords differs greatly from that of their one-handed cousins, which should go far in differentiating Takamaru from the current cast of sword-wielders. The only character so far who uses a two-handed sword is Ike, and even then it's debatable whether he's wielding a two-handed sword with one hand or a one-handed sword with two, as its shape suggests a one-handed purpose, and Altina held it in one hand (with Alondite in the other) in Fire Emblem; matters are further confused by Ike shifting his grip for certain attacks in Brawl. Simplified, it doesn't really matter because Ike holds his sword both ways. Every other character uses their swords single-handedly for the most part, or dual-wields in Pit's case. Takamaru could be the first character to use a sword exclusively two-handedly.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm just wondering, Habanero...why did we need to explain why we were supporters?

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
I'm curious as to what you guys think we will get design wise for Takamaru, something more like the Samurai Warriors design, something more like the classic Famicon design, or will we get a redesign like Pit got?

*Is also in full support of Takamaru*

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm pretty sure he'll be a lot closer to his Captain Rainbow version than Samurai Warriors 3.

And to be frank, I like the cartoonier/kiddy proportions to the seriousbeans Samurai Warriors 3 version.

And this needs to be an alt costume as well.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Nah, I think I'd hate it if he were a cartoony character as opposed to a mostly-serious badass Samurai character. It just goes against everything I want from him as a serious rep of Asian-style culture.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Nah, I think I'd hate it if he were a cartoony character as opposed to a mostly-serious badass Samurai character. It just goes against everything I want from him as a serious rep of Asian-style culture.

Just let him keep his nosebleed when among women. :D I hear that's something he had in Captain Rainbow. And that Japanese gag always makes me laugh.

This would have to be for story purposes only. Unless they somehow make a taunt out of it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Just let him keep his nosebleed when among women. :D I hear that's something he had in Captain Rainbow. And that Japanese gag always makes me laugh.

This would have to be for story purposes only. Unless they somehow make a taunt out of it.

Oh yeah, I definitely think he should have that. If they have to edit for blood or whatever, that's fine, but something around Peach, Palutenta, WFT, ZSS etc. would be the absolute best.

Morbi

Scavenger
He is probably one of the better retro characters. I do not really like retro characters though. In all honesty I wouldn't mind if they took out Ice Climbers, Game and Watch, or R.O.B. I just don't have the necessary attachment to these characters. I was not even aware of their existence until SSB.

I don't really dig that he was only in one Japan exclusive game. I mean that isn't much of a resume. On the other hand people seem to want him for whatever reason. Maybe I am the only one that didn't play the Japan exclusive retro game... the point I am trying to make is that I think he is unwarranted. I mean unless they reboot his series what is even the point? Nintendo isn't doing so hot. They already revealed Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Megaman. All are heavy hitters. They will want to be careful when choosing characters to promote. Takamaru isn't going to promote anything. I mean I guess people that played his retro Japan exclusive title 20 years ago would be pretty excited.

I mean there are better choices, but there are certainly worse choices. I can see it happening. I mean who expected R.O.B in Brawl or IC/GW in Melee? Takamaru is already expected. So I think his chances are good. At the very least I could pound on all of the Takamaru mains.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
He is probably one of the better retro characters. I do not really like retro characters though. In all honesty I wouldn't mind if they took out Ice Climbers, Game and Watch, or R.O.B. I just don't have the necessary attachment to these characters. I was not even aware of their existence until SSB.
To be honest, I also didn't know most characters when I started playing SSB, but that's what makes them interesting in my opinion.
Yes, they are old characters, but they all have unique movesets, offer different ways to play and also represent Nintendo's past.

Aside from possible cameos, I think Smash Bros. is the best way to keep these characters on the spotlight. It's part of this series' charm.

I don't really dig that he was only in one Japan exclusive game. I mean that isn't much of a resume. On the other hand people seem to want him for whatever reason. Maybe I am the only one that didn't play the Japan exclusive retro game... the point I am trying to make is that I think he is unwarranted. I mean unless they reboot his series what is even the point? Nintendo isn't doing so hot. They already revealed Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Megaman. All are heavy hitters. They will want to be careful when choosing characters to promote. Takamaru isn't going to promote anything. I mean I guess people that played his retro Japan exclusive title 20 years ago would be pretty excited.
I never played his game either and only knew about him and his game in Brawl, since Takamaru appeared as a sticker and there was also a song taken directly from that game. He's also made cameos in Nintendo Land and Samurai Warriors 3, both are recent titles and given this character more exposure outside of Japan.

Also, characters in Smash aren't there for marketing purposes, mind that.

I also haven't played all games the Smash characters comes from, but that doesn't stop me from liking the characters and playing as them. If the character causes a good impression on the players, such players may end up liking him, regardless of whether or not they've played their games.

I never played Wii Fit nor Animal Crossing, but I think the Wii Fit Trainer and the Villager look interesting to play as, judging from the trailers and the Developer Direct with Sakurai. Like I said, and Sakurai also stated that, first impressions are important.

If Takamaru is revealed and people get excited and wonder how will he play and such, it's a sign that Takamaru is a good character for the roster. The fact that he's a samurai is a big plus, since he would bring something new to the game.

I mean there are better choices, but there are certainly worse choices. I can see it happening. I mean who expected R.O.B in Brawl or IC/GW in Melee? Takamaru is already expected. So I think his chances are good. At the very least I could pound on all of the Takamaru mains.
R.O.B., the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch were all unexpected. Wii Fit Trainer was also unexpected.

However, that won't stop them from being interesting characters. Sakurai has stated that he plans to bring some of those forgotten Nintendo characters back into the spotlight and also stated that, being the director of the Super Smash Bros. series, he was in a good position to do that.

Taken this in account, Takamaru's chances are good enough to be considered as a likely candidate for the new game.

Morbi

Scavenger
To be honest, I also didn't know most characters when I started playing SSB, but that's what makes them interesting in my opinion.
Yes, they are old characters, but they all have unique movesets, offer different ways to play and also represent Nintendo's past.

Aside from possible cameos, I think Smash Bros. is the best way to keep these characters on the spotlight. It's part of this series' charm.

I never played his game either and only knew about him and his game in Brawl, since Takamaru appeared as a sticker and there was also a song taken directly from that game. He's also made cameos in Nintendo Land and Samurai Warriors 3, both are recent titles and given this character more exposure outside of Japan.

Also, characters in Smash aren't there for marketing purposes, mind that.

I also haven't played all games the Smash characters comes from, but that doesn't stop me from liking the characters and playing as them. If the character causes a good impression on the players, such players may end up liking him, regardless of whether or not they've played their games.

I never played Wii Fit nor Animal Crossing, but I think the Wii Fit Trainer and the Villager look interesting to play as, judging from the trailers and the Developer Direct with Sakurai. Like I said, and Sakurai also stated that, first impressions are important.

If Takamaru is revealed and people get excited and wonder how will he play and such, it's a sign that Takamaru is a good character for the roster. The fact that he's a samurai is a big plus, since he would bring something new to the game.

R.O.B., the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch were all unexpected. Wii Fit Trainer was also unexpected.

However, that won't stop them from being interesting characters. Sakurai has stated that he plans to bring some of those forgotten Nintendo characters back into the spotlight and also stated that, being the director of the Super Smash Bros. series, he was in a good position to do that.

Taken this in account, Takamaru's chances are good enough to be considered as a likely candidate for the new game.

Yeah. I was tired last night. I was being really hypocritical for some reason. I never knew of the Fire Emblem series when Melee launched. I stilled loved Marth/Roy. I knew of Metroid's existence; however, I never actually played the game. Same with Ness and Captain Falcon in the first game. So I don't really know why anything would be different with Takamaru. Now that I have gotten a little sleep I think he is a way better idea than I gave him credit for. The original post also sounded really cool. I loved Captain Falcon in Melee for his speed. He was one of my co-mains. I definitely change my mind. I would be interested to see what they do for him.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Would be awesome if Takamaru got into Sm4sh and then got a series revival, like Kid Icarus. Would be awesome to see what Nintendo could do with a samurai game. Yeah, awesome.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm pretty sure he'll be a lot closer to his Captain Rainbow version than Samurai Warriors 3.

Yknow, I just though of something, Shin. What if they decided to use the Captain Rainbow version of Little Mac instead? That would be great, right? :troll:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yknow, I just though of something, Shin. What if they decided to use the Captain Rainbow version of Little Mac instead? That would be great, right? :troll:
Touche, man. D:

Fine, let him be SW3 version. XD (Thogh to be honest, my very favorite version is that from his original game's boxart. I just adore oldsdchool anime designs) .

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Platinum Games (Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101) has stated that they would like to work on a reboot of Nazo no Murasamejo.... which I think Nintendo should take them up on. I think part of what helped Pit get his own franchise revival was his reveal with his redesign in the Brawl trailer, which would've helped Takamaru if they'd revealed him early like that also, but you could argue that Marth and Roy weren't in that position and still gathered enough attention to bring Fire Emblem westward. If Nintendo Land is any indication, this franchise is somewhat on their mind.

I wonder if Sakurai has pressure from anywhere to add specific characters.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Platinum Games (Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101) has stated that they would like to work on a reboot of Nazo no Murasamejo.... which I think Nintendo should take them up on. I think part of what helped Pit get his own franchise revival was his reveal with his redesign in the Brawl trailer, which would've helped Takamaru if they'd revealed him early like that also, but you could argue that Marth and Roy weren't in that position and still gathered enough attention to bring Fire Emblem westward. If Nintendo Land is any indication, this franchise is somewhat on their mind.

I wonder if Sakurai has pressure from anywhere to add specific characters.

It's at least been implied he had pressure from Gamefreak/IS respectively to add Lucario and Ike. Since both of those characters were incredibly well-received though, I don't expect pressure will be the reason they stay or go this time around.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I just started playing Nazo no Murasame Jo on my 3DS today. Was funnier than I thought really, and I had a fun 15 mins or so beating the first castle. Really has the same feel as the first Zelda, but I'd say this is funnier... But maybe that's just because it's hard to play the original Zelda now without thinking about ALttP.

Hoping for Takamaru in Sm4sh and hopefully a revival of his series.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I just started playing Nazo no Murasame Jo on my 3DS today. Was funnier than I thought really, and I had a fun 15 mins or so beating the first castle. Really has the same feel as the first Zelda, but I'd say this is funnier... But maybe that's just because it's hard to play the original Zelda now without thinking about ALttP.

Hoping for Takamaru in Sm4sh and hopefully a revival of his series.

Wait a sec; did we get an international release of MMC without my knowledge? :love:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Once again, I’m bored at work so I dreamed a potential intro trailer for Takamaru:

*Trailer starts with a traditional Kabuki curtain.* *The narration for the trailer is in Japanese but there are English subtitles at the bottom of the screen*

Narrator: This is the story, of a warrior that time forgot…

*Taiko drums swell and a traditional Kabuki “holler” is heard just as the curtain rises. *stage is lit by candles*

Narrator: Long, long ago… there were four brave warriors… *We suddenly see four shadows appear in a line but cannot distinctively tell who they are yet*

Narrator: The first of these warriors was a legendary hero *first shadow on the far left fades to reveal NES LoZ sprite of Link* renowned far and wide for his courage. *footage from various LoZ games shows in background* He ventured through dense forests, climbed tall mountains, and swam great oceans. He was greatly loved by the people… a true hero of time *upon saying this line, the NES sprite turns into SSB4 Link, raises the Master Sword, and then runs off screen*

Narrator: The second of these warriors was an armored huntswoman *second shadow fades to reveal NES Metroid spirte of Samus* blessed with agility far greater than that of mere mortals. *footage from various Metroid games shows in the background* A soldier of fortune but also a defender of the less fortunate… she traveled the stars battling evils beyond human comprehension. She struck fear in the hearts of her enemies… the greatest of bounty hunters. *upon saying this line, the NES sprite turns in SSB4 Samus, readies arm cannon, and then runs off screen*

Narrator: The third of these warriors was an angel… *third shadow fades to reveal NES Kid Icarus sprite of Pit* a “kid” some might say. *footage from Kid Icarus and KI: Uprising show in background* Saving the gods and the heavens as a mere boy, he went missing for decades before making his triumphant return by the will of the people who dearly missed him. Though young, this angel is known far and wide as the defender of the gods... and as great a warrior as any. *upon saying this line, the NES sprite turns in SSB4 Pit, does his “you cannot defeat me” pose, and then runs off screen*

Narrator: *fourth shadow fades to reveal Takamaru NES sprite standing alone* While these warriors went on to have adventures that would become the things of legend… *sprite suddenly fades into black and candles are blown out* the fourth stayed behind… Years passed and this warrior bided his time, *shows SSB4 Takamaru, sitting in meditation, eyes closed with his sword out in front of him but overall barely visible* honing his skills for the day that his expertise would be needed again… *camera slowly zooms in during this until it is close to Takamaru’s face* and that day… has COME! *Takamaru’s eyes suddenly open and multiple slash marks jet across the screen, accompanied by slashing sounds*

*SSB4 logo shows up, surrounded by fire and accompanied by a remix of the main theme from Nazo no Murasame Jo. Next screen shows Takamaru on his stage, appearing with his unique stage entrance, possibly saying something as he appears. Then it shows Link, Samus, and Pit charging in to attack him, only to have Takamaru lean in, push the handle of his sword up with his thumb, and then just right as he’s about to charge forward it says on the screen “TAKAMARU CONTINUES THE WARRIOR’S PATH” before doing some super slashy stuff. Then it shows him on various stages with various characters showing off his moveset. Takamaru’s shyness is referenced somehow by having him suddenly run away from *insert female character here.* Then it shows the SSB4 logo again before quickly fading out and the usual “coming in 2014.” Finally, the trailer ends with Takamaru standing alone, nodding with a look of satisfaction on his face, resheathing his sword, and then walking away from the camera as cherry blossoms fall in the foreground.*

Chauzu

Smash Ace
It doesn't appear that the game is on Virtual Console in Japan.
Well, it is. Got released like a week ago I think and I thought it would be fun to play the famous Takamaru's game. :p

I've finished 3 castles now and god it's hard. Even though I'm using save states regularly I have a hard time, haha. But an awesome game, now I'm a true Takamaru supporter. (He has climbed to my #1 want out of all realistic options).

Xigger

Smash Lord
Not that another opinion is needed after all these posts, but...

That thread title looks like it would break a web browser.

Takamaru has too much going for him. Top of many different traits: japan-exclusive, retro Nintendo game, and references in modern games akin to R.O.B. But his inclusion seems iffy if you take design into consideration; the balance between his character, the edo period he represents, and originality (franchise as well as design) makes him a high-risk choice.

I'm not alone am I? Whenever I see his different designs, retro artwork and captain rainbow and samurai warriors, the different styles make me think that he doesn't have a steady character. That idea is reinforced when I see people guessing his personality judging off of the time period and his cameos.

Overall, Takamaru reminds me of Pit's trophy in Melee; a basic touch up that worked for other retro characters that had... less character. And more charm. Maybe his design needs a similar franchise-revival-redesign that graced Pit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom