• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Hey, so, here's a question that I came up with while researching if there's any historical precedent for people actually ever using the reverse grip/mantis grip/Zatoichi grip (as I assumed, the disadvantages greatly outweight the advantages, so nope).

While it's normally assumed that Takamaru uses a traditional samurai sword grip, how would people feel if he was instead given an alternate sword style such as the reverse grip? In the NES game he seems to be constantly sheathing and drawing his blade, and this feat would actually be easier with a reverse grip which facilitates upward strokes.

Sure, it's more of an obvious Hollywood gimmick than an actual technique, but such a style could differentiate Takamaru a little more from the other sword users already in the game.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
In roughly 3 weeks, a legend will be reborn and rise from the ashes to take on the challenges of a new world full of wonder and chaos. Though, whether or not the world is ready for the samurai is another story.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
So, if Takamaru gets into Smash, how likely do you think it'd be for him to get a new game? I wonder if there's a place for a modern game starring Takamaru.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Soul Calibur 6 Guest: Takamaru! :awesome:

(That would be one of the best things ever)

EDIT: Accidentally typed five instead of six. Lol

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So, if Takamaru gets into Smash, how likely do you think it'd be for him to get a new game? I wonder if there's a place for a modern game starring Takamaru.
Considering Kamiya already wants to make another Takamaru game, I'd say chances were fairly decent. Surprised if anyone other than Sakurai or Platinum made it though.

And there are plenty of modern games starring samurai, ninjas, and other Japanese stuff, I just wonder how a Takamaru revival will differ itself.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The Legend of Zelda has a fun, exploratory format that Takamaru could do well to use as a base.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
And there are plenty of modern games starring samurai, ninjas, and other Japanese stuff, I just wonder how a Takamaru revival will differ itself.
Yeah, that's kind of my worry. A lot of those series have been established for quite awhile as well. Though, to be fair, I think Takamaru's unique in that he technically is fighting aliens, right?

I bet a few games down the line Takamaru's historically accurate character will have gotten redesigned so many times that he starts to look like

Don't make Takamaru angry. You won't like him when he's angry.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Considering Kamiya already wants to make another Takamaru game, I'd say chances were fairly decent. Surprised if anyone other than Sakurai or Platinum made it though.
I'd suggest both Sora Ltd. and Platinum Games developing the game, as in together. Naturally after everything is currently finished up like Bayonetta 2 and Super Smash Bros. Having Sakurai and Kamiya together on the same team... :troll:

Yeah, that's kind of my worry. A lot of those series have been established for quite awhile as well. Though, to be fair, I think Takamaru's unique in that he technically is fighting aliens, right?
Well actually, the alien thing has also been done in a Japanese setting in the game Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon, though a game that has taken it seriously hasn't been brought back since Nazo no Murasame Jo.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Heh. I'm now imagining a 3D game where Takamaru follows time-traveling aliens through a portal and ends up on the rooftops of Neo-Tokyo and has to hunt down aliens who are impersonating humans.
Ancient samurai + Future tech = A stupidly fun game with no shame. I'd play it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Soul Calibur 6 Guest: Takamaru! :awesome:

(That would be one of the best things ever)

EDIT: Accidentally typed five instead of six. Lol
*spits out water* Take note of this Namco Bandai, you'd sell many copies if this actually happened in the Wii U version of the game.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Smash 4 Takamaru needs to have a anime-ish style like Marth and Ike had in Brawl.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Smash 4 Takamaru needs to have a anime-ish style like Marth and Ike had in Brawl.
You want Takamaru to be fabulous? Well alright then, but just remember that nothing will exactly surpass Marth in that category. Though, there's also the irony of an "anime style" when the character in question comes from Japan. Which is actually interesting because it's one of the rare cases where a Nintendo character actually comes from a real world location instead of a fictional land like Hyrule or the Mushroom Kingdom.

I think that by this point, smashboards is fixed on the mindset that Takamaru will appear in Smash 4. He just HAS to! Right?
Well it's a good possibility, though there's no guarantees. A lot of characters are like that in general, so be confident but not stubborn. Still, it would be kind of odd if the character didn't show up, but at the same time we're not the designers of the game.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I was going to ask to be on the supporters list. there wasn't one. good thing I checked lol.

anyways, I could see this guy getting in. he would be a good addition to super smash bros.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Oh hey. I found an image of Takamaru's archnemesis.

Aliens vs. Takamaru

You can't tell me that wouldn't be awesome.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's probably mere coincidence.

By the way, the reason why there isn't a support listing is because the idea never cropped up, and it would of been a pointless thing to begin with. Very few people out there would actually do it, and it would seem kind of pointless. Besides, it's too late to make a supporting list now considering that the roster should of been finished by now.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Strange how Takamaru is among the most likely newcomers (if not, the single most likely) newcomers for Smash 4 to be confirmed within a few hours, yet there has not been a post in his support topic since May.

I feel extremely confident that all the Takamaru supporters will be celebrating in about eight hours from now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Only thing I'm wondering about is if Habanero will still act like his grumpy self if Takamaru gets confirmed? :smirk:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I feel confident that Takamaru will be revealed in the trailer.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Only thing I'm wondering about is if Habanero will still act like his grumpy self if Takamaru gets confirmed? :smirk:

Don't dream on it pal.

Anyway, I was wrong about the confirmation being revealed immediately. It doesn't mean I'm disappointed though, anything can still happen over the months. Just got to stay level headed for now and just to take whatever hope is left and use it as fire.

But after that reveal of Wii Fit Trainer, my confidence kind of died down.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Patience is a virtue. At least there will be Dojo-esque updates to look forward to on Miiverse, which should be start this week or next week because of the 2014 release period.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
To bring up a topic back from the dead, currently I have two things going on.

First up, the (very late) debut of the supporters list. The list, for those that don't know, is exactly what is sounds like. State your name and you'll become a supporter. But there is going to be a catch though: If you want to be a supporter you'll need to provided details as to why you want to support this character in detail. Simply saying "yes I'll do it" is not good enough.

Currently, it's just me, Habanero. If you want to support this character, please feel free to speak up. All names will be added to the OP.

Second, the argument section is being worked on. I already have a handful of arguments already brought up.

He's a sword user and that sucks
He's way too obscure
Being a Japanese only character will prevent him from entering
He's going to be a clone of Marth

I would answer these in detail, but I want to see if there is anything else that needs to be discussed before we get into the arguments. It doesn't hurt to be thorough.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To bring up a topic back from the dead, currently I have two things going on.

First up, the (very late) debut of the supporters list. The list, for those that don't know, is exactly what is sounds like. State your name and you'll become a supporter. But there is going to be a catch though: If you want to be a supporter you'll need to provided details as to why you want to support this character in detail. Simply saying "yes I'll do it" is not good enough.

Currently, it's just me, Habanero. If you want to support this character, please feel free to speak up. All names will be added to the OP.

Second, the argument section is being worked on. I already have a handful of arguments already brought up.

He's a sword user and that sucks
He's way too obscure
Being a Japanese only character will prevent him from entering
He's going to be a clone of Marth

I would answer these in detail, but I want to see if there is anything else that needs to be discussed before we get into the arguments. It doesn't hurt to be thorough.
I'm Opossum, and I support Takamaru because of the charmint Edo-era aesthetic, the unique style of sword play, the tons of other tricks he can do, because his name sounds cool, and because I would like to see his game someday localized and his series revived. Like that?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yes, that will do.

Also a bit of diversion from the topic for a second, but when this character get revealed expect the alternative interpretations to go into full throttle, just like what happened with the recently revealed Wii Fit Trainer and Villager. It might sound silly now, but watch as those "Marth's lesbian girlfriend" jokes become a reality.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I support Takamaru because I really want to see a Samurai-esque fighter in Smash, and particularly any interesting tricks that Sakurai gives him in his moveset. Well, is this enough?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why hasn't the supporter's list been updated? There's only two people there, and I would like to support Takamaru.
Eh, according to Habanero, you also need to provide a good reason as to why you support Takamaru. Only then will Habanero add your name to the list. (>_>)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hey! The topic is awake again!

I support Takamaru because:

-His name is awesome
-His Samurai-ness brings a unique aesthetic to Smash, and the fighting style has yet to be repped in any way.
-The MMC theme is awesome, and I want more of it.
-Takamaru himself is just incredibly badass.
-So much potential
-Better than other Retros by miles
-Dat topknot. Need I say more?

Takamaru for Smash 4!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd like to see Takamaru but I don't want to write an essay explaining why so keep me off the list. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom