• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
No, it's because he's upset that I don't see the glory of Dr. Mario and he's attempting to back stab in the shallowest way possible. It's kind of funny actually.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No, it's because he's upset that I don't see the glory of Dr. Mario and he's attempting to back stab in the shallowest way possible. It's kind of funny actually.
It's because you constantly bring it up and insult him.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Like Swampsaur said, it's because you being a **** to him at every turn. It's no surprise he's acting this way.

D

Deleted member

I couldn't really give a flying **** if you liked Doc or not.
It's the idea that somehow I'm an idiot for liking him and the concept that me defending Doc against anti-clone extemist pricks like you means he's my "husbandoo" or whatever.
And the whole idea that apparently, making Doc into a Wolf/Lucas is "impossible" for some bs excuse or another.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Habanero.

Is Takamaru your husbando or is it Pit?

Or are you cheating?!?!?

:troll:

Just come off your high horse for a bit. You'd have more fun!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Why can't we like Doc, *and* Takamaru? Doc was my secondary in Melee, and I always loved his look. I'd love having him back. Peace and love, Smashers!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why can't we like Doc, *and* Takamaru? Doc was my secondary in Melee, and I always loved his look. I'd love having him back. Peace and love, Smashers!
Peace is impossible in a fighting game. :troll:

On a serious note, there won't be peace as long as both sides are ready to shoot on sight. Then again, it's out of character for Habanero to make peace. lol

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Hey, we all that that one character we defend:
Golden has Doc
Chrono has Roy
Habanero has Takamaru
Diddy has Impa
N3ON has Isaac
BKupa666 has K.Rool

It's fine to have a little healthy debate but are insults really necessary? Just leave it at "I disagree" and move on Habanero. That conversation has long since expired.:glare:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Golden has Doc
Chrono has Roy
Habanero has Takamaru
Diddy has Impa
N3ON has Isaac
BKupa666 has K.Rool

It's fine to have a little healthy debate but are insults really necessary? Just leave it at "I disagree" and move on Habanero. That conversation has long since expired.:glare:
Argumentum ad hominem. That's what's called when, in an argument, someone insults others to defend his/her point. Clearly not the most intelligent way to argue.

That's all I have to say. By the way, this:

Frostwraith has Dark Pit

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And I have Ridley!

And Ivysaur...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I kind of defend ALL the characters, at least the ones I like, so...yeah. :( If they had a chance, I'd fight to the death for Banjo & Kazooie. One day...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Golden has Doc
Chrono has Roy
Habanero has Takamaru
Diddy has Impa
N3ON has Isaac
BKupa666 has K.Rool

Actually I think Golden has Waluigi and Chrono has Ridley. But the rest seems spot-on as far as I know. Oh, and I have Duck Hunt Dog. :awesome:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Actually I think Golden has Waluigi and Chrono has Ridley. But the rest seems spot-on as far as I know. Oh, and I have Duck Hunt Dog. :awesome:
I think Oasis covers Ridley more. I'm just going by who they seem to debate with people more about. I haven't really been in the Waluigi thread that much so I can't really comment on that but if you've seen the doc thread then you know I mean.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'll add one:
Ove has Adeliene. :troll:

Go to the Speculation Chart thread if you don't believe me.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm a guy, so no to both. I don't support characters over some sort of fetish.
So don't treat others like that.

Golden Rule boy. Golden Rule.
I support characters for the more genuine merits like gameplay.
Subjective. You may consider it more genuine but many others may not.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Subjective. You may consider it more genuine but many others may not.
So wait, you're saying that supporting how a character would play like in a fighting game is not a genuine reason?

I think I tend to defend Lloyd, Lip and Starfy. And to lesser extent Lyn.

Lots of names with L... (-lAl-)
Are your favorite characters Lucario, Link, and Luigi by any chance?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So wait, you're saying that supporting how a character would play like in a fighting game is not a genuine reason?
Nope. It is. I'm just saying that opinions towards playstyle are subjective and that they shouldn't be treated as the end all reason for why a character should or should not get in.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Pretty much. The MYM thread proved you can make a moveset for anything. People want characters. Not movesets.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pretty much. The MYM thread proved you can make a moveset for anything. People want characters. Not movesets.
He was asking me SmashChu. Not you.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I love how Swampy is here correcting all of you and is being totally right. :laugh:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Would it be not too out of character if he borrowed some techniques from Sakura Samurai, like the dashing for example?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
To represent Takamaru's ability to walk on water, I figured he'd have a sort of dashing Special anyhow. Thought it would be cool if it allowed him to dash, but also use any of his ground attacks (except his dash, Specials, and throws). BUT even if his attacks were designed with this in mind, that might still be broken, lol. Dashing off the edge with a Dsmash or whatever.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
This is reminding me TOO much of Ike's Quick Draw. lol
Still, it would make sense in context with the swift movement a samurai typical displays in media. If it works out as a dash attack that would work, though as a side B that wouldn't exactly bad. If it worked similar to Quick Draw form Project M, then that would be even better.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'll admit that I didn't read every post in this thread and that I don't particularly care much about Takamaru but what I CAN say is that I looked at some footage of him in Samurai Warriors 3 and I DID make an arbitrary specials moveset. So... Here we go again!

TAKAMARU
Up, Rising Crescent Blade
Jumps into the air with a curved sword slash, leaving a damaging trail that looks like a half-moon that fades away after two seconds.

Side, Shuriken
A charged projectile attack that launches when the button is released. While charging, Takamaru can still move around freely but can't attack.
-Tap: Throws a simple throwing star. Quick, weak, and falls from gravity at mid-range.
-Brief hold: Throws a fire-encased star. Slower, stronger, but burns out short-to-mid-range.
-Longer hold: Throws the windmill sword, a double-sided longknife that scythes through a long distance, hitting enemies repeatedly. Disappears after going far enough or after hitting enemies enough times.

Neutral, Iaijutsu
Iaijutsu is the samurai technique of attacking straight out of the sheathe in a smooth movement. When Neutral B is pressed, Takamaru stands his ground and sheathes his weapon until another button is pressed. The next attack depends on which direction and button is pressed.
A: Takamaru gracefully slashes horizontally out of the sheathe in the direction indicated. The slash will reflect projectiles back towards the direction of the slash.
-If pointing away from the direction Takamaru's facing, he instead does a short-ranged hilt smack that does low damage but seriously damages shields.
B: Takamaru slashes vertically out of the sheathe, sending a wave of damaging sparks out from the sheathe in a crescent wave in the direction indicated. If pointing away from the direction he's facing, Takamaru will hop backwards and keep his sword in the sheathe.

Down, Hidden Blade Technique
After a vulnerable moment of concentration, he turns "invisible" for a few seconds. While invisible, Takamaru still takes damage but can't be stunned or launched. Lasts either for three seconds or until he attacks. That attack, if it hits anyone, fills them with white energy and jolts them momentarily, enough time to attack one more time.

I'll be honest. I'd play this character! To me, it seems rather important for a samurai character to have the quick-unsheathing attack.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Lajustu actually sounds like an interesting concept from the stand point of being a versatile attack that can serve both offensive and defensive purposes. In general I like these specials more then the ones I've made (I'm a disgrace).

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'm actually super happy with it. In my mind, the quick attack out of the sheathe is THE Samurai technique, so even if Takamaru never did it in his game, it's something that he absolutely would have practiced if he was a learned swordsman. And heck, the actual technique was both used defensively and offensively and about waiting for the right moment... Anyway, i think it's a good move for a very prototypical samurai to have.

(That's actually a capital "i" in Iaijutsu, silly font. Also, I misspelled it in the first place, oops... I'll just edit that second "i" into it, and nobody will ever know.)

D

Deleted member

I always envisioned Takamaru as always having the sword sheathed until used. Kind of like Samurai Jack in that Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion game.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
But then you'd never see him running with his katana leveled at shoulder height! Like, uh, this Samurai Jack!

I always felt like the habitual returning of the blade to the scabbard as a rather silly thing... I feel like the quick-preemptive-strike kind of loses its point after the enemy's seen it. Also, repeatedly scraping against a scabbard would make the sword lose its point as well.

D

Deleted member

Not unless it was a magic sword (wielded by a foolish samurai warrior who stepped forth to oppose). :troll:

Now that I think of it, I don't remember a time in the series that Jack's sword got dull. I could be wrong, as it could have been in later seasons (which I don't recall much of).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Takamamu in real life. :troll:
No really, his dress, barring the colours, is really similar to Takamaru

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Real Takamaru's nose should bleed on that pic. Cause he's standing next to a woman and stuff. :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Real Takamaru's nose should bleed on that pic. Cause he's standing next to a woman and stuff. :troll:

He only preforms nosebleeds near beautiful women. Seriously, the women next to him is pretty ugly.

Anyway, some people may wonder about my concerns regarding to Shortie's poll and why Takamaru is very low. Well, I'm not really worried nor surprised. The character comes from a niche game made back in 1986 only for Japan, so naturally even less people are familiar with the character. But, it's actually kind of a blessing in disguise, since it will still give people a surprise factor to throw them off. Like the ninja under the blackened sky, Takamaru will strike out of no where. Not to mention that considering the context of the character, it's surprising he got that high up to begin with.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
He still seems like a pretty solid "wtf" character. I mean, honestly, has anyone here played his game? Japan really enjoys the time period that Takamaru's from, I could easily see the game makers wanting to include a Samurai character to represent Japan's history.

But yeah, I definitely would like to see him have his sword out for most of combat... it super does not make sense to resheathe your weapon after every strike. As far as I figure, there's literally no reason to do that in a real-life setting.
Oh, and it'd interfere with the moveset I made.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
He still seems like a pretty solid "wtf" character. I mean, honestly, has anyone here played his game? Japan really enjoys the time period that Takamaru's from, I could easily see the game makers wanting to include a Samurai character to represent Japan's history.
I've played his game. It really doesn't matter anyway whether anyone's played his game, thanks to Nintendo Land he's a character whose name is familiar to a large percentage of Wii U owners and a character who people are now suddenly aware of. The fact that he's contemporarily relevant means he's not a 'WTF' character in the slightest, Pit was more 'WTF' for Brawl than Takamaru would be for SSB4.

As for representing something, I'd like to think he'd simply be included to represent an obscure yet interesting game from Nintendo's past rather than Japanese history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom