• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I thought it would be cool if Takamaru's recolors were based on the 4 Daimao (Aosame, Akasame, Ryokusame, and Momosame) to reflect Mysterious Murasame Castle more.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I thought it would be cool if Takamaru's recolors were based on the 4 Daimao (Aosame, Akasame, Ryokusame, and Momosame) to reflect Mysterious Murasame Castle more.
I like this idea, can't remember the colors but I think they were: Blue, Red, Pink, Purple?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
There you have it, ---. But why Koei make Ryokosame green in SW3 is beyond me. :/
Because the castle that Ryokosame ruled in was green, as such they wanted the character to fit into the motif better. The other lords also follow a similar pattern when it comes to the color theme.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hey guys! My Japanese partner who takes care of the Takamaru for Super Smash Bros. 4 decided to share some our ideas for the Murasame Castle reboot with Hideki Kamiya since he lives in Japan. He was on vacation in another region of Japan and decided to take the train to their headquarters. Hideki talked about how he loved our ideas and what plans they have for the game. They mentioned having to play Samurai Warriors 3 and Nazo no Muresame-jo to give themselves some inspiration. He also told Nura how he felt about the DmC video game, which he didn't like. From what Nura told me, he was a funny guy and his company (Platinum Games) has a great relationship with Nintendo. One thing that Nura forgot to add to the post (which he told me privately) is that if Takamaru was to be confirmed as a newcomer in the E3 2013 SSB4 trailer, they might have an idea of what design to use for Takamaru and become more motivated to work on the project after Bayonetta 2 is near completion.

What do you think, Habanero and fellow supporters?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Takamaru-for-Super-Smash-Bros-4/146093455484282

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Spreading the word is always a positive thing, but whether the first trailer will actually show Takamaru is another story. It's a perfectly plausible thing, but nothing is concrete at this point. All we can do is simply wait and see.

I still think that Platinum Studio's tackling a Nintendo IP would be interesting. It kind of reminds me of Rareware and how they handled the Donkey Kong games for a while.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Alright going to bump this thread with a few things, first off I spruced up the original post a little bit, mainly to fix the move set a tad.

Second:

Takamaru confirmed for FE:A DLC.
5102561_m.png

Third, it seems from what I've read, people are alright with the idea with Takamaru. I've heard comments about having a "real" Japanese character sounding appealing. I do have a feeling Takamaru could become a very well developed character if done right. In this day and age a character with great synergy is scarce, with only a few like Marth getting it right. I do have a feeling with the fluent movements, I can see Takamaru being a legit threat. Maybe with something akin to the magic series mechanic used by Lucario in Project M.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also let's just clarify for all two people that bother watching this thread, but the swordsman being dull argument does not work. Rather, it should be the character itself and whatever style can be offered to the table. Simply judging a character by the weapon they use is kind of shallow.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, people bring up sword wielders like they would somehow all have the same moveset or playstyle. Do they really think Takamaru/Shulk/Isaac/etc. would play anything like Link/Marth/Ike/Pit/MK/etc.?

Sometimes arguments against a character are ridiculous.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It might be from a cosmetic sort of way, but at the same time why aren't people moaning about the characters that use nothing but bare fists? There are a lot more characters that don't even use a weapon at all, shouldn't they be more dull?

But regardless, what is and isn't dull is a pretty suggestive matter. I fine Takamaru to be a fascinating character that blends flavors of both samurai and ninja, but some people might not. Ether way, no matter how flawed, an opinion is still and opinion.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
There's too many European swordsman moreso than sci-fi and Asian swordsman. making their argument invalid. :troll:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Really love this character and his game. I hope he gets into SSB4.

I want him more than I wantt Isaac now. :O (though the fact that Golden Sun DS kinda ruined the franchise for me also boosted up my liking for other characters, including Takamaru)

There has to be a drawback to being invisible, though. Otherwise what's the point of being visible? (That and there's always an arrow pointing at your location so I think it's going to be very redundant). Anyways, if they make it work, it'd be really cool as that is perhaps his 2nd most signature move after slicing and shuriken throwing.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Totally forgot about updating my Takamaru banner. I didn't add flames or feathers, bit I did get rid of the cherry blossoms, so hopefully that's more to your liking, oh great TC. ;)

If not... then feel free not to use it.

[collapse=Takamaru OP Banner]
[/collapse]

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The benefit of being invisible is simply an option of approaching. When completely invisible for roughly 10 seconds, the opponent won't have any clue on where Takamaru would strike, even going as far as hiding any name tag the player may have. To further encourage this style of play, the next attack would also do more damage in terms of knockback and damage. However for balance reasons, there would be a cool down period after using the invisibility cloak, and the effects of being invisible would be disrupted if attacked or preforming an attack.

For the record, this is actually a reference to Samurai Warriors 3 where Takamaru's Special Skill was pretty much what was described above. In other words turning invisible for about 10 seconds or until the next attack, with the next attack doing double damage.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
How would Takamaru compare and contrast to Link?
Well, first off Link is in general a more defensive character. He's slow and his recover is sketchy, but he sports above normal weight and a smorgasbord of different projectiles to zone with. Also he wears a green skirt tunic.

Takamaru meanwhile would be more offensive based, more designed to be aggressive and combo based. In general fast and light, more along the lines of Marth. But of course, he would be more fragile due to the lighter weight and sports slightly lower power.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Should Takamaru have access to projectiles? If so, would he be a better version of Marth? What weaknesses could you have that Marth does not?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Should Takamaru have access to projectiles? If so, would he be a better version of Marth? What weaknesses could you have that Marth does not?
He could use Ninja stars.

Marth would have an effective counter. Takamaru would not.

Marth could also be heavier and have better throws perhaps?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ninja stars, I thought he was a samurai.
I'm thinking that Takumaru would have a lot of power and very fast, the tip point of the sword would be where it does the least damage. The closer you are with the katana, the better damage and knockback there is. He could have the worst recovery for all that power and speed.

D

Deleted member

Ninja stars, I thought he was a samurai.
Someone needs to brush up on ol' Japanese history. Samurai used shuriken like ninja did.

And then we get to the in-game example of Murasame Castle where Takamaru used shuriken...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
But like Hanabero said, I think that's how Takamaru could work best like. Though now he needs to differ from Marth.
Well, as an experienced user of Marth, his style of play is designed to send the player into the air and essentially set them up for combos like the notorious Ken Combo. This is mainly contributed by his average falling speed and the tip sweetspot. While his ground game is alright in it's own right too, he excels in aerial combat and setting up said combat.

Takamaru would be a more ground based fighter, designed to instead pressure the opponent and punish stall. Having movement more akin to Fox, with high dash and falling speed. At least, that alone would make Takamaru have a different style of play from Marth.

D

Deleted member

Just an overglorified Link clone.
Anyone who says otherwise is deluding themselves. :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well to be fair, I wouldn't mind a different take on Link with an emphasis on speed. In fact it would make sense in context due to the whole Murasame and Zelda relationship.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I was thinking more along the lines of Fox/Wolf or Ness/Lucas. You know, some similarities but generally very different.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why am I getting a feeling that Golden is trolling this thread because of Habanero's dislike of Dr. Mario?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why am I getting a feeling that Golden is trolling this thread because of Habanero's dislike of Dr. Mario?
I think its more of Habanero's general crankiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom