• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to be Discontinued - May 20th, 2014

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
In an unprecedented move, Nintendo announced yesterday that it will be terminating the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. The service provides online functionality to most Wii, DS and DSi software titles, including the likes of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii and all Pokémon titles on the Wii, DS and WiiWare.

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection was launched in November 2005 and is set to end on May 20th, 2014.

It's important to note that only software that runs on Nintendo Wi-Fi connection are impacted. This means that the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, and the very few Wii and DS games that didn't run on Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection are not affected and will run as normal. You can read the full list of games affected here.

Perhaps it's time to play that one last game of Mario Kart Wii, or if you want something a bit more, dare I say, smashing, try your luck finding some Brawl Wi-Fi over at the Arena!

Last edited by a moderator:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Was looking for an outlet to discuss this.

The article where I first read about this had a statement saying that they were doing this as part of an effort to focus on gearing up for online support of titles like Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. Guess it says something if they're allocating every last resource to online on Wii U/3DS.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, I heard about this news this morning. I only recently got back into the online Brawl scene, thanks to this website, and I have been busy lately and will be until April, so I have little time to make use of this. Anyone who wants to fight in Brawl, feel free to let me know!

And I also heard about them doing it in order to implement matchmaking into games like Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4. This is a good thing to me. I want them to start making use of the Wii U's online capabilities, and hopefully this is the start of it.

Regardless, it was a very nice nine and a half years for Nintendo WFC. It will be remembered!

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
this is why local play is important.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It was bound to happen eventually, since the Pokemon Global Link did get discontinued for the 5th generation Pokemon titles over a month ago.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
It was bound to happen eventually, since the Pokemon Global Link did get discontinued for the 5th generation Pokemon titles over a month ago.
Yeah, but no one expected it to be this soon. Most people thought it would be at least a few months after Smash 4 was released.

Personally I was shocked to hear this news.

JbrockPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JbrockPony
Well... it was a good run. Had my share of fun online while playing brawl to project M. Guess I'll be converting to Dolphin netplay soon.. >_>

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't really use Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection much nowadays. In fact, Pokemon White 2 was pretty much the last game that I've ever used the Wi-Fi Connection for, thanks to the Pokemon Dream World.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
the problem with that is there's no local tournaments in my area, i live in tampa.
But if imagine if no tournaments existed at all because of online only. it's crummy that it's going down but I mean at least there are alternatives. Also we have a pretty dedicated fanbase so I imagine at some point it could be restored (not by Nintendo of course).

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I don't really use Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection much nowadays. In fact, Pokemon White 2 was pretty much the last game that I've ever used the Wi-Fi Connection for, thanks to the Pokemon Dream World.
Yeah, can't say I've touched any NWFC game habitually in years. Certainly not at all since X/Y came out.

Still, I know others will miss it more deeply than I will until there's good replacements. Hell, the cynic in me makes me think maybe this is a ploy to get people to upgrade. It's gotta be the deciding factor for at least some people out there.

xXDarkRisingXx

Smash Apprentice
But if imagine if no tournaments existed at all because of online only. it's crummy that it's going down but I mean at least there are alternatives. Also we have a pretty dedicated fanbase so I imagine at some point it could be restored (not by Nintendo of course).
Hope so lol

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I wonder what this means for the Project M launcher updates via wifi.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I wonder what this means for the Project M launcher updates via wifi.
I wouldn't be shocked if they remove those versions.

I personally see this as Nintendo telling consumers they should get a Wii U and not treat it as some sort of upgrade.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Well, it was a good run. All good things must come to an end. It's kind of funny, Mario Kart DS kicked off the service, and Mario Kart 8 is coming out just a week after they pull the plug. It's coming full circle.

Perhaps I'll take May 19th off just to play Mario Kart Wii online one last time. Kind of like what Bungie did for Halo 2.

ShaDoW4408

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadow4408
3DS FC
3668-9102-9707
This is so sudden and i just joined this site not to long ago well i guess i better make the best of it while i can

Domo-dono

Smash Cadet
NNID
K3ptSecret
3DS FC
4425-2815-8686
I'm not gonna lie, I freaked when I first saw this. I thought this was going to affect Wii U and 3DS as well. I guess they're allocating funding towards Nintendo Network and trying to provide more incentive to purchase the newer consoles. No way to tell for sure though.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Aw...
On my birthday too... :crying:
Such a great part of my early life I must say. Mario Kart racing online was a blast, really.

Zach R.

Subtle
Not Mario Strikers.... Anything but that... =( my favorite competitive game of all time...

Satoru Iwata

Banned via Warnings
In an unprecedented move, Nintendo announced yesterday that it will be terminating the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. The service provides online functionality to most Wii, DS and DSi software titles, including the likes of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii and all Pokémon titles on the Wii, DS and WiiWare.

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection was launched in November 2005 and is set to end on May 20th, 2014.

It's important to note that only software that runs on Nintendo Wi-Fi connection are impacted. This means that the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, and the very few Wii and DS games that didn't run on Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection are not affected and will run as normal. You can read the full list of games affected here.

Perhaps it's time to play that one last game of Mario Kart Wii, or if you want something a bit more, dare I say, smashing, try your luck finding some Brawl Wi-Fi over at the Arena!
How can this be?

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I had a mini heart attack and then remembered it's not the same as Nintendo Network. Personally I don't play PM online because even the chance of lag irks me. Local play is how I love playing. Sucks for people who play online all the time. I'm curious what's going to happen to the online functionality in PM now. Is it going to be stripped? Same goes for launcher online capabilities.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but If the Wii can still use on demand services wouldn't that mean it's still able to use Wifi? (At least for PM launcher downloads and switching between full and wifi code sets)

Last edited:

Prim3MavericK

Smash Cadet
Perhaps they're making way for something else bigger and better? Trying to be optimistic about this. What does this mean for 3DS Smash4? Will Street Pass and stuff still work?

K.Louis

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2836-0421-0500
I was wondering this myself... It'd be a shame if they let us update P:M through the Wii, only to have the service rendered unusable shortly after.
IIRC the P:M updater doesn't use Nintendo Wifi, it just downloads and installs from a file at projectmgame.com just like the Wii web browser (which will still be working) so it's unaffected.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Perhaps they're making way for something else bigger and better? Trying to be optimistic about this. What does this mean for 3DS Smash4? Will Street Pass and stuff still work?
Nintendo WFC is just what Wii and DS used. Nintendo Network has been the online service for Wii U and 3DS, so all that stuff is unaffected.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Well hey, at least Nintendo cared enough to support online services for two years past the Wii and DS lifespan unlike how they just dropped support for them. Understandably though, the transition to the Wii U and to a lesser extent, 3DS, is much more needed. Here's to the Nintendo Network!

Might as well play a few sessions of online Mario Kart Wii for one last time. And **** online Brawl.

Top Bottom