• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to be Discontinued - May 20th, 2014

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I was really hoping to stall out my decision to buy a WiiU, but Nintendo took away the few reasons I still love to play Brawl and Mario Kart....

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Well they've gotta save money somehow, I suppose. At least it was fun while it lasted, aside from Brawl's lag, and it lived out for a long time. It was a good, fun run.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
That's pretty bad luck. I just got into playing project m online and this happens. It's like finding 100 dollars on the street, and then getting hit by a car.

Mattchu

Smash Lord
NNID
Mattchu64
3DS FC
4167-4642-2080
I play project m online almost every day...I hope smash 4 turns out good and i hope they bring the wave dash back!!

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
Sony did this too the PS2 when the PS3 came out, and Microsoft did this too the Xbox when the 360 came out.

Why is this a surprise to anyone?

Blazer.

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Blazerrrr
3DS FC
5370-1339-0866
At first, brawl was gonna be dead cuz it didn't have that much support. But now it will be dead period cuz of wifi being canceled. Unfortunate cuz I actually enjoyed the game.

Red(SP)

Smash Journeyman
You know, after a while, I actually wanted to protest this entire movement. But then, it occurred that I really don't give a flying ****. Every company does this so that they can save money and focus on what's relevant for the current generation. I'm going to miss the plentiful amount of service that I got from playing games like: Jump Ultimate Stars, any handheld Pokemon game that uses Wifi, Brawl/Project M, Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Strikers Charged and various others. I realize that there's netplay support for all the games I've literally mentioned, (besides Pokemon, at least to my knowledge) so I really don't have to stress over it. I'll just need to upgrade my PC and ISP value/rate and whatnot. Nintendo just wants people to purchase a Wii U, but I will not be dragged into the whole 'update' ordeal until I see something that absolutely makes me want to obtain a Wii U, or any next gen console to be honest. Bayonetta 2 looks promising, but I know better than most to purchase a console for only one game.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
The only game I'm sad for with this annoucement is Mario Kart Wii. But fortunately, MK8 will come out nearly around the corner, so it'll be a very small hiatus. However, good riddance for super laggy & limited Brawl. Didn't miss it back then, now, and won't care too much in the future. Because, local is better anyways.

Also, where did this came from? I gotta know.

Last edited:

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
oh noes!!! =( how am i going to keep smashing with my friends online :(

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
This is why I took the time to start a local P:M scene. And now I'm just going to invest in a Dolphin-net play setup.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I was really hoping to stall out my decision to buy a WiiU, but Nintendo took away the few reasons I still love to play Brawl and Mario Kart....
You know, after a while, I actually wanted to protest this entire movement. But then, it occurred that I really don't give a flying ****. Every company does this so that they can save money and focus on what's relevant for the current generation. I'm going to miss the plentiful amount of service that I got from playing games like: Jump Ultimate Stars, any handheld Pokemon game that uses Wifi, Brawl/Project M, Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Strikers Charged and various others. I realize that there's netplay support for all the games I've literally mentioned, (besides Pokemon, at least to my knowledge) so I really don't have to stress over it. I'll just need to upgrade my PC and ISP value/rate and whatnot. Nintendo just wants people to purchase a Wii U, but I will not be dragged into the whole 'update' ordeal until I see something that absolutely makes me want to obtain a Wii U, or any next gen console to be honest. Bayonetta 2 looks promising, but I know better than most to purchase a console for only one game.
Do it for two then. SSB4 and Bayonetta 2.

NeffJeff95

Smash Cadet
It is saddening :( I hope the team at project M can do something about this otherwise dolphin is the only way to go online. Here's to smash bros 4 online! I hope it improves...

GreenMunchkin

Smash Apprentice
The PMBR will find a way to rewrite the server address.
They will.
They, they will, Right?
RIGHT?

Last edited:

HeavySmashGuy

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavyBrawlsGuy
3DS FC
1977-1276-9162
They said that video-on-demand services are still going to be online, so I guess I can still watch Netflix. The Wii Shop and DSi shops are also going to still be online. I'm not sure about the Homebrew Browser, though.

Last edited:

MylesMad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MylesMad
3DS FC
4141-2408-3059
Inevitable. It's a damn shame, but it makes sense and was bound to happen. I don't know why everybody is going to miss online Brawl though - it sucked (for me anyway). I'm going to be sad to say goodbye to MKW's online services, but other than that, I'm glad they're allocating their resources to make Nintendo Network actually worthwhile. My body is ready.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
So in other words, you can't even fight people on your friend roster? What kind of crap is this?

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Oh okay, at first I thought this announcement was for 3DS as well and wondered why they would do that with SSB4 coming out. It's a shame since I never did clear 5th gen, but if it means that the next Smash will have worthwhile online then I'm all for it.

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
This almost makes me regret getting a 3DS. Definitely not getting a Wii U.

So, basically, what I have to fear is, they'll close down all their servers for previous titles after a year of their next new console's release.

Yeah, and if Nintendo didn't get the hint, people still are dedicated to their Wii and DS. Why is it so hard to love Nintendo with stupid ass decisions like this?

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
Sony did this too the PS2 when the PS3 came out, and Microsoft did this too the Xbox when the 360 came out.

Why is this a surprise to anyone?
...PS2 didn't really have any online functioning for the most part, and want to know the catch with Xbox? THEY WAITED FIVE YEARS.

NOT ONE YEAR AFTER THEIR FAILED CONSOLE'S RELEASE.

This is again, coming from a guy who hates Microsoft. I'm a Playstation/Nintendo guy. But how Microsoft handled it is A LOT better.

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
And one last thing, let me make it clear like I said on the petition.

Nintendo barely has the games to replace those online communities. There is nothing for the Super Sash community. There is nothing for the Mario Kart community on Wii U yet. There is nothing for the AC community on Wii U yet.

There's a ton of games that they need to update, and not everyone wants to drop how much on the failed system that's called the Wii U. Truth hurts. Nintendo is spitting on their already limited fanbase, and that's sad.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
So are they gonna do like a better online overhaul for titles like Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4? I wouldn't mind if they just copied their competitors and made sum kinda clone...

"Wii U Live" anyone? :smirk:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
This almost makes me regret getting a 3DS. Definitely not getting a Wii U.

So, basically, what I have to fear is, they'll close down all their servers for previous titles after a year of their next new console's release.

Yeah, and if Nintendo didn't get the hint, people still are dedicated to their Wii and DS. Why is it so hard to love Nintendo with stupid *** decisions like this?
You do realize this argument is riddled with flaws right? First off, it is a 1 1/2 years after the release. How would their somewhat premature cancellation of the servers affect you, a 3DS owner? Most of the Wii's online games were horrendous in terms of lag and lack many features that similar games had. The DS had a 10 year period of active servers. Is it a surprise they are closing that down? Anyway, fan servers can be created. There is a game on the Dreamcast(lost its name right now) that has active members still playing the game online and the Dreamcast closed its servers a while ago.
...PS2 didn't really have any online functioning for the most part, and want to know the catch with Xbox? THEY WAITED FIVE YEARS.

NOT ONE YEAR AFTER THEIR FAILED CONSOLE'S RELEASE.

This is again, coming from a guy who hates Microsoft. I'm a Playstation/Nintendo guy. But how Microsoft handled it is A LOT better.
Nintendo cut the GC a year after the Wii was first sold and no complaints over that. Same with the 64 and the GC. There is no point of keeping an old system when you trying to sell/push your new one out. That is counter-intuitive. Sometimes humans need a swift slap to the head to change their minds/perspective. Technology changes really fast as well, no point of keeping some crusty servers for a crusty system.
And one last thing, let me make it clear like I said on the petition.

Nintendo barely has the games to replace those online communities. There is nothing for the Super Sash community. There is nothing for the Mario Kart community on Wii U yet. There is nothing for the AC community on Wii U yet.

There's a ton of games that they need to update, and not everyone wants to drop how much on the failed system that's called the Wii U. Truth hurts. Nintendo is spitting on their already limited fanbase, and that's sad.
A new Mario Kart is coming out May 8th. The next Super Smash bros is coming at an unknown (probably late November) time this year. I don't think Nintendo is clueless or "spitting" on their fanbase. It may seem cruel and unjust they are not taking their fan's thoughts into account, but because of the floundering sales of the Wii U, they felt pressured to do this. In fact, if corporations listened to consumers (all the time) instead of promoting a new product, we would have really fast horses instead of mass produced cars (I have the Henry T Ford quote: “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”)). Anyway Nintendo will/should take this advice: “Failure is simply an opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.”
Henry Ford. PS: I am not really a Henry Ford follower, but I knew these 2 quotes should suffice for this argument.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
well, at least no one can complain about the wii mini not having online play...
It sucks they have to do this, but they need to bring people over to the next console somehow, but i don't care, i have my wii u, so im prepared for ssb4.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
WE INTERRUPT THIS PROGRAM FOR AN IMPORTANT NEWS BULLITEN!

I, Mega Bidoof, and a few other used here on Smashboards, will be opening up a petition to keep Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for Smash bros. Brawl! As laggy as it was, many people used Brawl's online play, and it should stay up!

It will be opened up later today, and I will say so when it is!

Last edited:

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
The only thing I'm going to miss from this is Mario Kart Wii. That game was awesome online!

Top Bottom