• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to be Discontinued - May 20th, 2014

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Wi-fi practically the only reason why I played MKWii after unlocking nearly everything. And it's the main reason why I played Brawl almost regularly.

This stinks. At least the next Mario Kart is coming out not long after the shutdown, so I'll be able to enjoy that for now. But this makes me want the next Smash to come out even sooner.

This is pretty weak. You cut off the ability to play online--oh, but we can still buy your ****, right? Smooth move Nintendo. Not everyone has the money / want to pay for a console to enjoy your "too little too late" online functionality. First the removal of system ports and backwards comparability now this, and the customers suffer because y'all wanted to release a system (make that 2 now) with an identity crisis. Bull...****.

I'm still gonna get smash 4, but that's pretty much it. I'll get a second hand Wii U at the cheapest price possible. I got a red box and a Playstation 3 so I really don't care or need to support the product.

D

Deleted member

Why is this such a big deal? This means that the new Mario Kart and Smash Bros will have more servers to make use of. That can only be a good thing after Brawl's awful online play. Mario Kart Wii and Brawl were both great games, but the upcoming sequels seem far superior...if you really like those games so much then why not buy a Wii U so you can play them in their HD glory with improved online play? After all it's not like it's an expensive console.

BrownYoshi

Smash Rookie
I admit I used Wi-Fi a lot for Mario Kart Wii and Mario Strikers Charged. I will REALLY MISS playing those online.
I used it for Brawl and Pokemon Battle Revolution sometimes, but I won't miss those too much.
I have Excitebots: Trick Racing. Never played the online. I guess I better before I can't anymore.

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
another reason that WFC is ending is that we ALL dont know that gamespy, not owned by nintendo is running the nintendo WFC service, which was bought out by GLU mobile, a competitor who hates nintendo and wants to cut them off ASAP from the WFC service that they now own

for more, check out http://www.gamespy.com/bios/index.html
and if you look at brawl's netcode, you will find a gamespy url in there

smashbrosxwii.available.gs.nintendowifi.net
^this is one of the addresses brawl requests when connecting to WFC
and gs stands for gamespy

nintendo network, which the 3DS and wiiU use, ARE owned and run by nintendo internally unlick gamespy which the ds and wii used. NONE of the servers WFC run on are being distributed to nintendo wiiU titles whatsoever

Wait, would this affect Project M? Does it run on the Nintendo WFC or other severs?
project M does NOT modify the netcode, only the PSA and stages, and they use cheat godes out the wazuu to mod things the file patch doesnt cover

projectM uses nintendo WFC, and i dont think the PMBR will bother making a custom WFC server for projectM

it's time to invest a few thousand dollars on a dolphin-capable PC that runs brawl at 60fps, not 5 like my laptop and run that shiz over netpaly (a non WFC feature)

Last edited:

aOA

Smash Rookie
In an unprecedented move, Nintendo announced yesterday that it will be terminating the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. The service provides online functionality to most Wii, DS and DSi software titles, including the likes of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii and all Pokémon titles on the Wii, DS and WiiWare.

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection was launched in November 2005 and is set to end on May 20th, 2014.

It's important to note that only software that runs on Nintendo Wi-Fi connection are impacted. This means that the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, and the very few Wii and DS games that didn't run on Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection are not affected and will run as normal. You can read the full list of games affected here.

Perhaps it's time to play that one last game of Mario Kart Wii, or if you want something a bit more, dare I say, smashing, try your luck finding some Brawl Wi-Fi over at the Arena!
I don't play a lot of anything besides smash, but the online on brawl is the worst thing ever.

Proobie44

Smash Cadet
It's obvious this was supposed to happen but I believe I'm reiterating when I say as well way too soon. Time to use Project M online and suck at it.

Zoralth8745

Smash Rookie
They are ending Pokemon Battle Revolution Online Battles?
Awesome. Now I have no reason to get it. Thanks Nintendo. You just lost money.
Ending Smash Bros. Brawl Online?
Selling that game. No local friends play Smash.
(Unless Project M releases something awesome between now and then)
Mario Kart DS also ending?
Selling that too.

Nintendo... you are making me think seriously about going purely Sony.

BRE

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0361-7691-3919
Maybe the wii games will be able to connect through nintendo network through WiiU. Maybe?

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
Maybe the wii games will be able to connect through nintendo network through WiiU. Maybe?
no, because the connection params are hardcoded on the disc and not programmed to look for update data like 3DS and wiiU are
They are ending Pokemon Battle Revolution Online Battles?
Awesome. Now I have no reason to get it. Thanks Nintendo. You just lost money.
Ending Smash Bros. Brawl Online?
Selling that game. No local friends play Smash.
(Unless Project M releases something awesome between now and then)
Mario Kart DS also ending?
Selling that too.

Nintendo... you are making me think seriously about going purely Sony.
the PMBR does not care about online, main.dol will have to be modded (which codes and FPC cannot cover because of how the code works to load projectM) in order to host a backup server

Raychel

Smash Rookie
The only game I'm sad for with this annoucement is Mario Kart Wii. But fortunately, MK8 will come out nearly around the corner, so it'll be a very small hiatus. However, good riddance for super laggy & limited Brawl. Didn't miss it back then, now, and won't care too much in the future. Because, local is better anyways.

Also, where did this came from? I gotta know.

It's from americas next top model guys v. girls. ^^

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
Top Bottom