• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Game of the Week -Star Fox Assault

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Welcome to the Nintendo Game of the Week Thread! In the NintenZone, we have a lot of dedicated threads, but I want to start something that will have a lot more variety and will get us out of our comfort zones. Each week, we'll be discussing, celebrating and critiquing Nintendo games. We'll have a new game every week, so check here every Saturday. We'll also make lists of people who have played each game and gather recommendations for you all. Hopefully this thread gets you to talk about games you're passionate about and gets you to try something new.

And now for a Q and A segment to help explain the rules.

Q: What's the purpose of this thread?
A: The thread's main purpose is to just talk about a featured game. We'll choose a game every week and talk about it. I'm also giving a bit of a personal challenge to try some games you haven't tried before. After all, someone's recommendations may cause you to want to try something!

Q: Wait challenge?
A: Yes, as a bit of fun, I'm challenging people to play games they haven't played yet. For example, if you haven't played Donkey Kong Country, and its the game of the week, I'd recommend trying it so you can join in the discussion. If this thread got you to try a game for the first time, I'll even bold your name in the game's post.

Q: What games are eligible?
A: Any Nintendo published or Nintendo partnered game is allowed. Games that aren't published by Nintendo can be discussed in the general gaming section.

Q: How are remakes handled?
A: Remakes will be treated the same as the game they were based on, even if there are new additions and radically different content. It will let us discuss the differences between the remakes and the original.

Q: I don't know what to say. What should I do?

A: Some great places to start would be talking about your first impressions, how your opinion has changed over time or your favorite or least favorite segments. If you haven't finished the game, maybe you could talk about what you played or where you got stuck. You could talk about music tracks, bosses, levels and even characters.

Q: What if I haven't played the game before?
A: You can still join in the discussion. You just won't be added to the confirmed players list.

Q: What about recommendations?
A: If you've played a game, we'd love you to give a recommendation if you think the game deserves them.

Q: Do we talk about Smash Bros?
A: You can talk about a game's connections to Smash Bros, but it's not really what the thread is about. Try to keep it focused on the game itself.

Q: What if I want to talk about a game after its week is over?
A: You can finish conversations that weren't finished, but try to post something about the new game as well.

Q: I have some games I'd like featured. How do I request them?
A: Shoot me a list in a private message. I may not get to them right away, but assuming they are eligible, they will get their day.

Q: I have some suggestions for how the thread is run. How do I suggest then?
A: Please PM them to me.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Alright everyone, let's get on with our first game!

Super Mario Galaxy

Game Summary: This is Mario's first 3D platformer adventure on the Wii. After Bowser kidnaps Peach and heads out to space, Mario follows suit and goes on a planet hopping, spherical adventure. The game is notable for introducing unique planetoids with their own gravity, allowing Mario to walk on all sides.

Initial Release: November 1st, 2007

Playable on...
  • Wii
  • Wii U
  • Switch (Through Super Mario 3D All Stars)
Notable Character Debuts:
  • Rosalina :ultrosalina:
  • Lumas

Current Metacritic Scores:
Critics: 97
Players: 9.1

Confirmed Players:
  • Swamp Sensei
  • LiveStudioAudiance
  • Janx_uwu
  • Megadoomer
  • Dan Quixote
  • Kind Sonnn Dededoo
  • Champion of Hyrule
  • Ninjahmos
  • Nirvanafan
  • KingofPhantoms

Recommended by:
  • Swamp Sensei
  • LiveStudioAudiance
  • Janx_uwu
  • Megadoomer
  • Dan Quixote
  • Kind Sonnn Dededoo
  • Champion of Hyrule
  • Ninjahmos
  • Nirvanafan
  • KingofPhantoms

Personally, I love Super Mario Galaxy and consider it one of the best games ever made. The game and level design is so incredibly unique and fun. The galaxies are all fun to explore. I love the Comet Observatory, Rosalina, the lumas and their whole story. And we can't forget the music! It's widely considered one of the best soundtracks of all time. Gusty Garden Galaxy alone puts in one of my favorites. I remember getting the game right before Christmas and loving it so much that I actually chose to play it instead of the games I actually got for Christmas. I played it all through winter break. I've gone through the game countless times. I adore this game. I wholly recommend it to anyone who loves video games.

I'll also start us off with a question? What's your favorite boss in Super Mario Galaxy? The Bowser fights are amazing, but I think my favorites are the oddballs of Major Burrows and Kamella. I also love Bowser Jr.'s boss fight. Baron Brr and Bugaboom are my least favorites.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Ooh, this sounds like it could be fun. I'll admit, I'm not sure how active I'll be (we're starting with a game I've never played), but I'd be willing to at least give some recommendations, if at all possible.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
SMG is the first 3D Mario title that really felt grand. 64 gave you an incredible sense of movement, and Sunshine allowed for some fun platforming, but Galaxy 1 was the first time it felt like a real adventure with how the level designed combined with stage theme. A lot of that was due to the color pallet and aesthetics which felt so distinct from so many previous franchise titles; giving certain levels an almost DKC level of mood to them. That it sports arguably the greatest OST's in mainline Mario history certainly didn't hurt.

The only real weakness to it (and its something I'll got into more detail about whenever Galaxy 2 is the game of the week) is that its got a minor identity crisis. It leans far more into the linear levels structured like obstacle courses and does them well, but it also still keeps some of the open settings like the two previous 3D games. and they rarely feel as strong. They're not bad by any stretch and there's some fun in exploration, its just they seem so outclassed by the more straightforward stages that some of the inertia of the whole experience is a bit lost.

Some of the motion control gimmick levels are a bit ho hum as well, but they're such a small part of the game that they don't really drag any playthroughs down.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Mario Galaxy is one of the most beautiful games Nintendo's ever made. At least to me. And there's a specific reason why.

I've always been obsessed with the outer reaches of videogames. Go to the edge of a map in any open-world game, or look as far into the background of a platformer as you can, and you see what I mean. Hardly textured mountains, low-poly villages, grey cities, even stuff like the JPEGs of Sonic Adventure 2 and Mario 64. Invisible walls are, weirdly, my comfort food.

And Super Mario Galaxy is the thesis of that. Every level offers a breathtaking view of space. You hear Mario's echo when he long jumps, you fly through the stars with nothing else in sight. You can't go to those other planets, stars, or suns off in the distance. You're not allowed to explore the rest of the Mushroom Kingdom outside of that first area. But knowing the rest of the world is there, seeing it, is more than enough.

I do wish Galaxy was a bit tougher though, like its sequel. I only return to it every few years or so for that reason.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ooh, this sounds like it could be fun. I'll admit, I'm not sure how active I'll be (we're starting with a game I've never played), but I'd be willing to at least give some recommendations, if at all possible.
Hey, now would be a good time to ask others what they think about Super Mario Galaxy. You can still participate.

SMG is the first 3D Mario title that really felt grand. 64 gave you an incredible sense of movement, and Sunshine allowed for some fun platforming, but Galaxy 1 was the first time it felt like a real adventure with how the level designed combined with stage theme. A lot of that was due to the color pallet and aesthetics which felt so distinct from so many previous franchise titles; giving certain levels an almost DKC level of mood to them. That it sports arguably the greatest OST's in mainline Mario history certainly didn't hurt.

The only real weakness to it (and its something I'll got into more detail about whenever Galaxy 2 is the game of the week) is that its got a minor identity crisis. It leans far more into the linear levels structured like obstacle courses and does them well, but it also still keeps some of the open settings like the two previous 3D games. and they rarely feel as strong. They're not bad by any stretch and there's some fun in exploration, its just they seem so outclassed by the more straightforward stages that some of the inertia of the whole experience is a bit lost.

Some of the motion control gimmick levels are a bit ho hum as well, but they're such a small part of the game that they don't really drag any playthroughs down.
Mario Galaxy is one of the most beautiful games Nintendo's ever made. At least to me. And there's a specific reason why.

I've always been obsessed with the outer reaches of videogames. Go to the edge of a map in any open-world game, or look as far into the background of a platformer as you can, and you see what I mean. Hardly textured mountains, low-poly villages, grey cities, even stuff like the JPEGs of Sonic Adventure 2 and Mario 64. Invisible walls are, weirdly, my comfort food.

And Super Mario Galaxy is the thesis of that. Every level offers a breathtaking view of space. You hear Mario's echo when he long jumps, you fly through the stars with nothing else in sight. You can't go to those other planets, stars, or suns off in the distance. You're not allowed to explore the rest of the Mushroom Kingdom outside of that first area. But knowing the rest of the world is there, seeing it, is more than enough.

I do wish Galaxy was a bit tougher though, like its sequel. I only return to it every few years or so for that reason.
I'm pretty sure I can put you both as confirmed players.

Would you both recommend Galaxy?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Most definitely. If you're a 3D Mario player very big on a range of movement options and large open worlds, you're not going to be as keen on it as something like Odyssey, but there's such tight focus with the level design and a wonderful overall feeling via the combination of music/aesthetics that you'll still get something out of it.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, in regards to Galaxy, which one do you like more? Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario Galaxy 2? Personally I love both, but I love the first one more. I love the Observatory and I think the whole thing has a more comfy tone.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Galaxy 1 is the better experience and Galaxy 2 is the better game. The former's aesthetics, light narrative with Rosalina, and slow evolution of the observatory makes it more emotionally impactful, while the latter's tighter gameplay, more focused gimmicks, and straightforward progress make it more distilled, almost arcade like fun.

The latter is stronger to me, (to the point of being my favorite 3D Mario) but that's largely because its gameplay appeals more to my taste than the hybrid the former goes for.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I know I played Super Mario Galaxy, though I can't remember if I beat it. I do recall it being the first 3D Mario game that I really got into, though - I never really got into Super Mario 64 for some reason (by the time that I got a Nintendo 64, Banjo-Kazooie and Ocarina of Time were out, and I didn't have a ton of disposable income as a kid), and for Super Mario Sunshine, I think the FLUDD felt like a gimmick to me. (though I should probably go back and play that)

Super Mario Galaxy is a game that I'd definitely recommend, and even hearing a bit of Gusty Garden Galaxy in the credits of the Mario movie felt almost magical to me.

As for boss fights, as I said, it's been a long time since I played the game, but the ones that I distinctly recall are the Bowser fights (especially the final one) and Bouldergeist.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Oh yeah, I forgot about bosses! Bouldergeist might be one of my favorite Mario fights in general - it's a concept that's been done to death with the floating head and hands slamming, but combined with the Boo Bomb swinging physics and faster attacks makes it probably the strongest contender of that boss genre. Though, like I pointed out earlier, Mario Galaxy is not a tough game, so really the only bosses I found to be challenging on my most recent playthrough were Bouldergeist and the final Bowser fight.

Galaxy 2 is not one I have revisited recently, mainly because it got skipped over for 3D All-Stars. I might play it on Dolphin maybe later this year. What I do remember about the game though is that it is much more challenging than the first game, as well as the levels are much brighter and more colorful. I don't remember the name, but the level with the treetops and everything was just pure bliss to me.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Honestly, the freedom of movement in controls and the twisting gravity in the first Galaxy game were probably the biggest factor in little preteen me being convinced at how beautiful video games could be as entertainment. How is it that even 15 years later, no other space game quite feels quite like floating around in Super Mario Galaxy?

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I think I feel differently than most people do in regards to Mario Galaxy.

I have tons of nostalgia with it as one of the first games I’ve ever played. The soundtrack, sound design and presentation is marvelous and an achievement in its own right. It’s a game that sticks with you long after you play it. I 100% completed the game and would reccomend it.

However I think it’s the weakest of the open world 3D Mario’s in terms of gameplay. I liked 64, Odyssey and even Sunshine more than it. Something in the platforming gameplay just doesn’t feel as strong or interesting to me, Mario can’t really chaotically leap around as much and can’t move as freely as those games which means the “easy to do hard to master” nature of traversal and platforming isn’t as present in this game. Those elements are honestly what made Mario for me and this game feels just a little weaker without them. Just simply moving isn’t fun like in other games.

Difficulty is also just… bad. The game is ridiculously easy but there are like ten or so stars that are extremely difficult without much of an in between. Don’t get me wrong, 64 and Sunshine have worse difficulty spikes and more frustrating stuff in them, but in Galaxy it’s weird because 95% of the game is very easy and some parts don’t even remotely resemble an interesting challenge.

None of those flaws are game breaking, Super Mario Galaxy is one of the greatest games of the 21st century and will forever hold that title. But every Mario game that has come before this one sets up a huge bar for it to clear and in my opinion I don’t think it quite reaches it. But where it did reach is higher than a lot of other games and I still love it.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, the freedom of movement in controls and the twisting gravity in the first Galaxy game were probably the biggest factor in little preteen me being convinced at how beautiful video games could be as entertainment. How is it that even 15 years later, no other space game quite feels quite like floating around in Super Mario Galaxy?
Galaxy is a lot of fun, played but never beat Galaxy 2 actually although I know a lot of people even prefer it over the first.

Years later I really appreciate the Rosalina Storybook sections

I think I know the answer already, but I'm assuming you two recommend it.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Although I've played Mario Galaxy, but have never actually beaten it, I have to agree that the atmosphere, story, soundtrack and sound design are quite different from what you would expect from a Mario game at the time.

Most of that, though, to me, was a bit overshadowed by the game's cartoonish sound effects, but I guess that adds to the charm for most people. The level designs are creative, but the spherical planets are a bit off-putting during gameplay. Speaking of gameplay, I have to agree that it just seems a bit too easy, like the challenge is missing for most of the game.

That being said, the flaws don't define the game. It may not be as open-ended as Mario 64, Sunshine, which I haven't played, or Odyssey, but it's still a blast to play. So if you're looking for a Mario game that's different from most mainline Mario games, then I definitely recommend this game.

Also, I've never played Mario Galaxy 2 either.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Played about half of galaxy when it came out & replayed & finished it when i got 3d allstars. Definitely prefered the touch screen controls over the motion so played it in tablet mode. I prefer Odyssey but this is probably my 2nd favorite mario 3d platformer (although 64 is not too far behind)

Havent gotten around to Galaxy 2 yet, looking forward to it, almost feel like im saving it for a rainy day. Was also kind of hoping it became dlc for 3d allstars or got its own release so i can use my prefered controls. Doesnt look like that will happen. Wound up buying Wii edition & have it backed up to try to play with keyboard & mouse on dolphin. Idk why i find pointing the wiimote at the tv for these games so non-preferable.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Super Mario Galaxy was my first mainline Mario game that actually starred Mario (the first game in the franchise that I ever played barring spin-offs was Luigi's Mansion), so I was introduced to the Mario platformer series a bit late.

But to be honest, I'm glad it was my introduction to the series. This game practically defined the 3D Platformer genre for me. The gemaplay is loads of fun, easy to understand yet challenging to master, the graphics and level design are visually stunning, and it had a tense and compelling storyline. Exploring new galaxies, taking in the sights and themes of each galaxy, talking to NPCs and figuring out tricks and discovering secrets, in addition to overcoming the platforming and enemy combat challenges the game presented in it's main missions, finding and using each new power-up...all of it just made the whole game an absolute blast. Even as a kid, I found myself deeply invested in Rosaline's storybook, shocked by the events of it's later chapters, and moved by the ending. Everything about the game just comes together perfectly to make it a definitive video game experience. It's a game I'll always recommend, even with newer games like Odyssey introducing so much to the series and breathing more life into it.

Whether Super Mario Galaxy was one of your first Mario games or one you played later on, it's a truly incredible game and as much as it's been said already, and even with the Legend of Zelda remaining my favorite video games series ever, I truly think that to this very day, Super Mario Galaxy is still one of the best video games ever made. I'm grateful that I got to play it when I did.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Alright, we have one more day to discuss Super Mario Galaxy. We had some great discussion here, so thanks to all who participated!

I'll end us off with one more question. If you could change anything about Super Mario Galaxy, what would it be?

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Alright, we have one more day to discuss Super Mario Galaxy. We had some great discussion here so thanks to all who participated!

I'll end us off with one more question. If you could change anything about Super Mario Galaxy, what would it be?
Get more use out of the Red Star powerup. Yes, its a game breaker, but the whole point of creative level design is to smartly get around that. Its a potentially brilliant ability that shows up once, never gets used again, and it feels like a complete waste.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's time for another game, everyone!

Donkey Kong Country

Game Summary: Donkey Kong Country is Donkey Kong's big revival on the Super Nintendo. With a brand new design and a brand new cast of characters, Donkey Kong journeys across Donkey Kong Island to reclaim his stolen banana horde from the evil Kremling Krew. This game is notable for introducing most of the franchise's main cast including mainstays like Diddy Kong, Cranky Kong and King K. Rool. The game itself utilizes special 3D rendered graphics for a 2D platformer adventure. The game is famous for its hard, but fair difficulty and many secrets.

Initial Release: November 18th, 1994

Playable on...
  • SNES
  • GBC
  • GBA
  • Wii
  • 3DS
  • Wii U
  • SNES Mini
  • Switch
Notable Character Debuts:
  • Diddy Kong :ultdiddy:
  • Cranky Kong
  • Candy Kong
  • Funky Kong
  • King K. Rool :ultkrool:
  • Rambi
  • Enguarde

Current Metacritic Scores:
Donkey Kong Country was released before Metacritic was a thing, but I'll include the scores for the GBA port.
Critics: 78
Players: 8.7

Keep in mind that many view the GBA ports as downgrades.

Confirmed Players:
  • Swamp Sensei
  • LiveStudioAudiance
  • Megadoomer
  • StrangeKitten
  • ninjahmos
  • Diddy Kong
  • King Sonn Dededoo
  • Champion of Hyrule
  • nirvanafan
  • Noipoi
  • KingofPhantoms

Recommended by:
  • Swamp Sensei
  • LiveStudioAudiance
  • Megadoomer
  • StrangeKitten
  • ninjahmos
  • Diddy Kong
  • King Sonn Dededoo
  • Champion of Hyrule
  • Noipoi
  • KingofPhantoms

Donkey Kong Country and the SNES as a whole was released before I could really understand video games. Still I was introduced to Donkey Kong Country when I was around six or seven. I was staying over at a family friend's house and they were playing Donkey Kong Country. Back then, I had no idea what it was called. I even called it the monkey game. I didn't play it but I remember I enjoyed watching them play. It was super cool, and even back then, the water levels stuck out to me. Years later I was able to try it for myself, except I had the GBC version. It wasn't nearly as good as I remembered and I was a bit disappointed. The game was also really hard for little me. Even still I got pretty far, somewhere in the Chimp Caverns. It wasn't until the Wii U virtual console until I was able to try and beat the original game for myself and it was the game from my memory.

Donkey Kong Country is a fantastic game from the 90's. It's got raw platforming action and wonderful visuals, especially for the time. It was definitely the reinvention that Donkey Kong needed to stay cool. I'm glad Rare were the developers because they were able to create something unique and memorable. I don't think Donkey Kong Country has aged as well as its later entries though. Many of the secrets seem a bit pointless and the difficulty can be a bit sporadic at times. Still, its one of the best platformers from the 90s and is a definite must play. I highly recommend it. Also it birthed Diddy Kong, who is one of my favorite characters. :ultdiddy:

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'll save some of my excess gushing for the entire series once we get to DKC2, but as someone who played Donkey Kong Country at release, the thing that really stood out was that it was the first video game that felt... real. Mario titles were enjoyable obstacle courses, and Sonic had a sense of flow and level design that was fun go back to, other releases had their virtues.

DKC1 though, had a sense of reality to it that had me imagining the island the characters inhabited in way that I never quite had before. Yes I could see background elements in stuff like Quack Shot or Sonic 1 and find myself filling the gaps of the setting, but that original Country release, with its combination of realistic renders and music that didn't sound like traditional video game tracks? I wasn't just playing a title, I was being invited into another world that almost felt like something I could touch. Forest Frenzy wasn't just a woods stage, it was like the trails I hiked on now in an adventurous context. For those that weren't there, its hard get across (especially before the explosion of 3D games and the really major move towards realistic graphics) how tangible the levels of DKC felt in comparison to what came before. I'd argue even now it perfectly straddles the line of being real while still leaving enough elements to your imagination.

The music I don't even need to get into; listening to the Restored version of the OST by Jammin' Sam Miller on YouTube tells you more about it's genius composition than anything I could say.

Of course I have to mention the gameplay. History has rendered early to mid 90s as the Mario vs Sonic rivalry, however in a lot of ways it was Donkey Kong Country (and its sequels) that was the game that really competed with the Blue Blur. Even beyond both having graphical sizzle and "this ain't your daddy's game" marketing I'd argue that DKC1 is in some ways a Sonic title through the language of a Mario game. There's an emphasis on kinetic platforming and a sense of organic flow that in many ways one only really got from Sonic prior to this. Play a level enough times and you can strive through it with a breezy movement that is just smooth. Barrel Cannon emphasized levels can be tough, but when you get them right, its a remarkable feeling to finish them.

The big issue with the game its that its flaws have become more obvious by the strengths of its successors. Bonus rooms in Country 1 aren't really cleanly tracked and their consistency is all over the place. Moreover the game's Mario influence is bit too strong at points, giving it less of an identity than the likes of Diddy's Kong Quest and especially Dixie's Double Trouble. Barring K Rool the bosses are incredibly weak, almost feeling like something that the developers felt they had to have than something they were greatly interested in. Chimp Caverns being a somewhat rushed final world that reuses caves is a bit disappointing on replays, especially when the proceeding settings like Kremkroc Industries Incorporated stuck the landing so well.

While it is likely the DKC game most heighted by the "you had to be there" phenomenon, so much of it still holds up, and in a lot of ways is the ideal Country title if you just want to casually breeze through without worrying about completion. A vitally important title for what it kicked off while still being a remarkable release in its own right.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I got a hand-me-down SNES when I was a kid, and one of the many games that came with it was Donkey Kong Country. I wasn't very good at platformers when I was a kid, so I tended to gravitate towards fighting games or RPGs, but I remember playing a lot of the first two to three worlds of Donkey Kong Country.

Early on in the pandemic (summer 2020), I set out to actually play through the whole game all the way through. (the SNES version that I got had a save file that was at the final boss, which gave me less motivation to start from the beginning when I was a kid) I did beat it, though it was on the Wii U, so I had access to save states that I wouldn't have had on the SNES.

The game was tough, but fair, and I'd highly recommend it for anyone who's a fan of platformers. It's got outstanding music, varied level and enemy design, and my only issue is that the bosses (outside of K. Rool) aren't super creative. (generally being giant versions of the random enemies that you face, or in one case a giant object that summons normal enemies)

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Donkey Kong Country must've been a huge transition from 2D graphics to 3D (or 2.5D) graphics when it first came out. I agree that its visuals and music are stunning, even by today's standards, and the game itself is hard but tons of fun. It also may have started the "Collectathon" trend of platformers. Trying to get 100% (or more, if possible) can be quite difficult.

Anyway, I highly recommend playing DKC.

I think I'm still in the middle of playing it...

Edit: I beat the game but I didn't get 100%. I might try and get any bonuses and things I missed sometime later.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The first console game I ever owned. No surprise it influenced my greatly, as a child I always loved animals. Especially rhinos, but the primate family grew on me fast because of DKC. What a game...

Am somehow still surprised Nintendo never tried to downright remake the triology at this point. Yeah the GBA remakes don't count, am talking modern remakes.

Anyway the quality remains excellent. Recently played through all the games on the Switch, still had a blast. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I still never found all the secrets in this game on my own. DKC2 is regarded as much more difficult, but I found everything all by myself.

Maybe it's also cause DKC2 pushes towards this more, and I played it a lot more. Still DKC1 is my next favorite, and the overall atmosphere and smooth fuild feeling the game has is a huge reason why. Not only is it beautiful visually, it also controls greatly, and the music is downright ambient.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, which version of DKC do you think is the best?

I believe there's three distinct versions.

The SNES original
The GBC port
And the GBA Remake

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Well, it didn't take that long to get to a game I've never played lol

I will say though, every time I see gameplay, I am just shocked at how something so good was on the SNES. EarthBound and Final Fantasy VI came out the same year, and they both pushed SNES to its limits to have some beautiful backgrounds, but they still look downright cartoonish compared to DKC. Even in motion, it's all perfectly animated.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I do but I also have half a dozen $60 Switch games to finish 😭 I think the only game I've ever fully started and beat on the Switch online virtual console is the first Zelda game.
That's fair lol.

I'm just extending this to everyone. Remember, if you try a game for the first time because of this thread, we'll celebrate it.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
This may come as a shock considering how much i love n64 era rare but actually not a big fan of dkc. Played it up a relatives house years ago & it was just ok imo. This probably comes down to my general taste as their are very few 2D platforms that have really stood out to me (Kirby Epic Yarn, Mario Land 2, & maybe Shovel Knight are the only ones that come to mind personally).

That being said i do have a snes classic (still surprised the full trilogy was not included) & got land 2 & 3 before the eshop closed (know they are different from country but they were cheaper & close enough for me) so will probably give it another shot someday although they are admittedly not too high on my backlog.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
By the way, outside of K.Rool himself, DKC doesn't have any good bosses, does it?

The GBA remake made some of them better, but they still pale in comparison to K.Rool.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Hell yeah. Donkey Kong.

Donkey Kong Country is still super rad. I think it's sequel surpasses it in every way, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it ;)

I never played it growing up, because I didn't exist in the 90s, but I finally got around to it a few years ago and I had a pretty great time. It's hard as balls though, jeez...

Anyway, this is the game that gave the world King K Rool. A great character who deserves better. He better be in the next DK game, whenever that is.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
When I think back to playing the game as a kid, Master Necky stuck out to me; I found that to be a tense boss fight, at least at the time, because I didn't always get the timing down for bouncing on the tire. (also, I don't think I was good enough at the game to reach the third boss, which likely helped with making the second boss stand out to me - I likely didn't think of using Funky's Flights to farm lives or to head back to earlier areas so I could save)

Last edited:
Top Bottom