• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo sued... again

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
http://kotaku.com/5083598/nintendo-sued-for-patent-infringement-yes-again

Nintendo has been sued once more, from another small, obscure company. Motiva LLC, is claiming that Nintendo stole the idea for the Wii controller. Motiva is saying that the Wii's tech is in violation of a patent that states: "a 'Human Movement Measurement System' comprising a hand-held tracking device in communication with a base station that can be used to create an interactive gaming experience."

The thing that annoys me is that while the patent was filed in '04 (doubtless after the Wii began development), it was only granted in November of 2007. And the Wii came out a year before that.

I could be wrong, because I don't know much about copyright law, but isn't Nintendo in the clear this time?

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I would sure hope so. People need to stop hating on Nintendo.

Everyone wants to find something to sue about these days.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Are you even kidding me...I hope they're in the clear, cuz if not then doesn't that mean that we won't have any Wii Motes?

Ninty has to stop stealing ideas =P

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Are you even kidding me...I hope they're in the clear, cuz if not then doesn't that mean that we won't have any Wii Motes?

Ninty has to stop stealing ideas =P
On the contrary. Other people need to stop creating things that Ninty will eventually come up with.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Technically, Ninty already had the idea, the company was granted the patent in 2007...so Ninty already had the idea.

That's like me asking my parents if I can go on a field trip, but then they sign the sheet of paper giving me permission after the field trip, and me complaining. Hope that's an adequate analogy.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Technically, Ninty already had the idea, the company was granted the patent in 2007...so Ninty already had the idea.

That's like me asking my parents if I can go on a field trip, but then they sign the sheet of paper giving me permission after the field trip, and me complaining. Hope that's an adequate analogy.
I think it is, it really shows how stupid that other random company was for messing with Nintendo to be honest.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
For some reason, Nintendo is always being sued for something over nothin'. They practically started video games with a lawsuit (universal sued Nintendo over Donkey Kong, due to it's reference to King Kong). PLEASE STOP SUING NINTENDO!

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
For some reason, Nintendo is always being sued for something over nothin'. They practically started video games with a lawsuit (universal sued Nintendo over Donkey Kong, due to it's reference to King Kong). PLEASE STOP SUING NINTENDO!
Because they're big and well known, and have lots of money. And as I said before, people want to sue for anything they can sue for.

To be quite honest, I think if everyone knew the laws a bit better, they might be able to know exaclty what they could sue for and identify their chances of winning and stuff. I think that if that were the case, even more people would be suing over even more things.

I think one reason that we don't have as many lawsuits as we could be having is because people generally don't understand the law and therefore don't know what they could be winning.

But I guess it's a good thing that it's not that case. We don't really need more people suing for hundreds of millions of dollars over a hot coffee from McDonalds or a lost pair of pants...

Overload

Smash Lord
Everyone just wants to cash in on the money without doing any work. Or they are just pissed because someone got to it first, and now they won't be able to make money off of it.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Everyone just wants to cash in on the money without doing any work. Or they are just pissed because someone got to it first, and now they won't be able to make money off of it.
That's probably it. I mean if I had an actual reason to sue someone over something then I would. But for the guy who lost his favorite pair of pants and sued for millions? That's just stupid.

Make the defendant pay for the cost of the pants or something, but dont make them pay that much money. Not that they even have it most likely, so the plaintiff won't even be seeing that sort of money.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Salem Witch Trials, mang. That's all that comes to mind when it comes to suing for the sake of suing. Jerkoffs.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
A. They patented the idea before Nintendo so, by law, it's theirs.
B. Nintendo steals a lot of ideas. It comes with the territory as you get to the top. You take ideas from the poorer, lesser known entities.
C. Nintendo will just pay royalties to them like how Sony does with Dual Shock 3.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
This is getting ridiculous and stupid.

Everyone's just suing Nintendo because they're printing money. This is why I hate the ability to sue; while it has perfectly good uses, it gets abused like this way too much.

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry guys but I ****ing hate your patent system (not that there's a better one here), it's starting to feel like a plot from unknown companies to squeeze whatever money they can from everyone who puts "their" invention to good use.

Spire

III
BRoomer
A. They patented the idea before Nintendo so, by law, it's theirs.
B. Nintendo steals a lot of ideas. It comes with the territory as you get to the top. You take ideas from the poorer, lesser known entities.
C. Nintendo will just pay royalties to them like how Sony does with Dual Shock 3.
Mmm... American politics. A large portion of the public policies that Democrats and Republicans present are "borrowed" from third parties and independents. Of course, they'll never win, and while they develop some of the best policies, who gets the fame? The big red and blue's.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Really, people here are ****ing ********, and here is why.

If the roles were reversed and Nintendo was filing a patent dispute, everyone here would cheer them on because most of you are blind fanboys. Fact is patents are pretty much the only thing stopping people from flooding the market with Biis, Ciis, Diis, etc etc etc

M.K

Level 55

If the roles were reversed and Nintendo was filing a patent dispute, everyone here would cheer them on because most of you are blind fanboys. Fact is patents are pretty much the only thing stopping people from flooding the market with Biis, Ciis, Diis, etc etc etc
Mmm, it's not anything that we can help, but I agree with you.
Every good thing Nintendo seems to pull out of it's *** is coming under scrutiny these days.
I don't follow Microsoft/Sony all that much, do they get sued this much?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

First of all, I know you're right on some people but I'm not a blind fanboy, by far.

Secondly, I hate the patent system but I know you're right; without it, things would be ridiculous. I just wish there were another way around it.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman

Actually I just think it's ridiculous how vague of a description they give of what they're patenting. It could be anything.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord

So enlighten me Crimson King. I could understand if they had the patent approved before the Wii was in development, but if the patent was approved in 2007, over a year after the Wii has been out, how can Nintendo be sued for at least any of the Wiis made before Nov 2007?

Darkslash

Smash Master

Well if they had a REAL stupid reason for suing then i would boo but selecting items on screen with a hand held device sounds alot like something near our keyboard and plugged into our computers/laptops/macs.....

You know...that thing...

binki4

Smash Apprentice
i did not know nintendo never had like this because of wii being developed they do not sued them like this it just making it for fun for people and children , this is unbelevable that nintendo do like this , that motiva sued nintendo for violation against technology , but since when wii where launch in november 19 2006 all people wanted the wii except of playstation3 and xbox 360 casual gamers and core gamers love the wii but nintendo did a mistake like this against motiva the oil technology company .

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
This is ridiculous. The tech for the Wii Remote has existed long before the Wii came along (possibly up to a decade, possibly more), and, though I sincerely doubt Nintendo invented the idea, I also doubt that using it counts as theft.

In short, there's no case.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer

I just don't think that there's that much of a grounds for it. This type of technology has been around for ages. Not to mention that the patent is pretty vague.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Vague or not, the company who patents it has the rights to it. Ideas are free floating, and since we decided to allow patents, copyrights, etc, we have to enforce it. Nintendo, being a Japanese company and probably unfamiliar with how our system works, totally missed the boat on this.

If you really want to see what will happen if patents don't exist, look up the Vii.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I never said that I didn't think that the company had rights to it. I just think that the lawsuit is ridiculous in the first place and is only being done because Nintendo is printing money.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I think I'll put a patent down on a holographic visual display device, then win it big when a company actually makes something like that, then I can sue em for millions.

Oracle

Smash Master
I think I'll put a patent down on a holographic visual display device, then win it big when a company actually makes something like that, then I can sue em for millions.
Thats actually an awesome idea.....
*runs to patent office*

HylianBoy

Smash Apprentice
You gotta feel sorry for Nintendo. Even if what they did was wrong. Like that Hillcrest Labs issue and them wanting to stop Wiis from being sold in the U.S., I find this ridiculous as well. Just a wild thought, but this sounds like some sort of a setup. Either that, or Nintendo are almost as evil as Microsoft.

Question to all:

Has anyone ever heard of these companies who sued or is suing Nintendo?

marthmaster59

Smash Journeyman
i think Zaf made a knock off of the controller and wii sports,except that you could play football.
if they sue nintendo,than i will literally ripp off their feet and legs for being so ********

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Personally I think patent laws need to be a little more loose, honestly, when things like this come up over stupid little things, things that honestly all that original anyway, it restricts the movement of technologies, inflates their price and pisses off fanboys. I understand that companies need to reap some reward for their research, but seriously, friggin touch screens and controllers? WTF?

K64

Smash Apprentice
BS just BS. Does anyone know this company? I bet not. They just jealous cuz' they stunt better than they do. Ideas will come from other ideas or seem like it. Whoever those guys are, you couldn't do yo **** right- end of story.

Top Bottom