• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Game of the Week - Animal Crossing: Wild World

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Gonna be real ya'll.

I wasn't expecting Mario Party to be a wash.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've played Mario Party 1, but I don't remember it as well as Mario Party 2, 3, or the Gamecube ones. I liked how each character got their own board, but from what I recall, the pathing on the boards was kind of weird at times and the series hadn't quite worked things out on the gameplay front. (there were some cases where coming in last in a mini-game meant that you lost coins; I played it again a couple of years ago, and I distinctly remember that being an unusual part of this compared to the rest of the series)

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Always enjoyed Mario Party, did not have an N64 growing up (mainly played 4-8) so didnt play the 1st game probably until high school with my neighbor who repurchased it but we had alot of fun playing it with a couple other people. Did get Mario Party 2 on wii u virtual console & finally bought an N64 & Mario Party 1 & 3 last year.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I played it at a friend's house when it first came out. As odd as it may sound, I don't remember who I played as.

Though there is one weirdly specific fact about it. I know I wasn't Donkey Kong :yoshi:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Going from Superstars to the first Mario Party (courtesy of NSO) is really interesting. The controls are all around rougher in the original, but surprisingly enough everything seemed to move at a faster pace, whether its minigames or the overall duration of the party. Wish the newer games could be as speedy as the first.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay, its time for a game I actually think isn't very good.

It's time to get chilly.

ICE CLIMBER

Game Summary: Ice Climber is a game created for the arcades as Vs Ice Climber before moving over to the NES. Similar to the arcade style games that were popular at the time, Ice Climber is a level based platformer where the goal is to reach a high score. In each level, the goal is to reach the condor at the top, collecting fruit and vegetables as you go. It stars Popo and Nana, two children who are climbing the mountains for some unknown reason. Each climber is able to jump, break blocks by jumping and swing their hammers to fight enemies.

The game has been re-released as a part of the NES series on GBA.

Initial Release:
October 1984

Playable on...
  • Arcade
  • NES
  • GBA
  • Wii
  • 3DS
  • Wii U
  • Switch

Notable Character Debuts:
  • Popo :ulticeclimbers:
  • Nana

Current Metacritic Scores:
Critics: 66
Players: 7.8

Confirmed Players:
  • Swamp Sensei
  • True Blue Warrior
  • KneeofJustice99
  • Laniv
  • Grim "Anubis" Reaper
  • HYRULESHERO42
  • Nirvanafan
  • Opossum
  • KingofPhantoms
  • Champion of Hyrule

Recommended by:
  • Laniv
  • Grim "Anubis" Reaper
  • Opossum
  • Champion of Hyrule

Okay, I don't actually think this game is very good. I have to give it some credit since its an early arcade game turned early NES game. I just... don't think its very good. It's fun for a little amount of time, but games like this live or die by their replayability. This game does not have that in my opinion. It is worth a quick look at. It's short, easy and accessibly on NSO. Don't take my opinion for law. Play it and make your own.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
May as well give my two cents.

Before I lay into the game for its faults, I think there's some elements of it that aren't so bad. The actual gameplay loop - get to the top of a mountain without crashing and whilst avoiding both falling and the various hazards and obstacles in your way - is simple, but more than effective for a classic arcade title. In addition, the game has a lot of personality despite its limited visuals (due, of course, to the technology of the time) with pretty fun and unique designs for both the characters and enemies alike. Popo and Nana have a lot of personality on their own, even if you can probably count on both your fingers and toes how many pixels are in each of their sprites!

That said, the biggest criticism I'd have for the game would be its jumping physics. For a platformer in which one of the losing conditions is falling, and in which you need to continually break ceiling sections to progress, it would be a lot better if the jumping physics didn't feel akin to attempting to leap through a colossal vat of molasses, with a painfully low horizontal range and a strangely uncontrollable aerial momentum system that reminds me of an unpolished take on Castlevania's in some ways.

And that's... about it.

This simple, singular fact hurts the game's replayability and enjoyability a lot - because otherwise, I think Ice Climber would be looked at as a pretty fun and amusing Nintendo arcade title rather than just a curiosity to be played for about half a level because "it was in Smash" and never touched again. That said, it's an interesting insight to the days before the platformer genre had really coalesced into the more polished form it would take following the release of Super Mario Bros. - because you have to consider that this was a 1984 release, and the release of Super Mario Bros. really gave a baseline of what a good platformer should feel like in terms of things like aerial momentum and whatnot.

People will usually say "Ice Climber is a bad game", and I suppose that's not an inaccurate assessment, but aside from its controls - which is admittedly a very fundamental element of the game - a lot of elements of it are pretty good! For the time, having 32 discrete stages, a decent variety of enemies with different effects, bonus stages, multiplayer capabilities, and a generally engaging gameplay loop that uses a combination of the game's own rules and level design to increase difficulty over time, is a fantastic amount of content - and yet it's all left kind of ruined by the fact that engaging with any of the content feels utterly abysmal the moment you press one of the action buttons, which is honestly a real shame.

All in all, if I had to rate Ice Climber on an objective scale, I don't think I could justify more than a 3/10. There's a lot of personality there, and it has a lot of potential - as well as a potentially really engaging, simplistic gameplay loop - but because of its simplicity, the poor design of one fundamental element of it destroys the experience, and unfortunately changes it from a potentially fun classic arcade experience to run through every now and then to little more than a curiosity from a very peculiar period in video game history.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Okay, its time for a game I actually think isn't very good.

It's time to get chilly.

ICE CLIMBER

Game Summary: Ice Climber is a game created for the arcades as Vs Ice Climber before moving over to the NES. Similar to the arcade style games that were popular at the time, Ice Climber is a level based platformer where the goal is to reach a high score. In each level, the goal is to reach the condor at the top, collecting fruit and vegetables as you go. It stars Popo and Nana, two children who are climbing the mountains for some unknown reason. Each climber is able to jump, break blocks by jumping and swing their hammers to fight enemies.

The game has been re-released as a part of the NES series on GBA.

Initial Release:
October 1984

Playable on...
  • Arcade
  • NES
  • GBA
  • Wii
  • 3DS
  • Wii U
  • Switch

• Popo :ulticeclimbers:
  • Nana

Critics: 66
Players: 7.8

Confirmed Players:
  • Swamp Sensei

Recommended by:

Okay, I don't actually think this game is very good. I have to give it some credit since its an early arcade game turned early NES game. I just... don't think its very good. It's fun for a little amount of time, but games like this live or die by their replayability. This game does not have that in my opinion. It is worth a quick look at. It's short, easy and accessibly on NSO. Don't take my opinion for law. Play it and make your own.
I was but a young lad when I played this game, my interest piqued by that weird two-in-one character in Melee. Was it good? Nope. But despite its janky physics and limited replayability, I had fun and that's what matters. And in spite of its negative qualities listed above, I think it could do with a relatively low-budget revisit.

I love Popo and Nana. They're my babies. :)

Also those remixes in Smash Bros were kinda heat.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climber is only fun with 2 players. Then it becomes more of a cooperative experience or a mad dash race for bragging rights. But the game isn’t great. Having another person struggle with you makes it better.

There’s a youtuber who reviews every NES game and his breakdown of Ice Climber went along the lines of “Ice Climber’s failures allowed Super Mario Bros to be perfect” and if that’s anywhere near the truth then Ice Climber did it’s duty.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Do you think Ice Climber could benefit from an Ice Climber 99 like F-Zero did?
I could see that.

You'd have 99 other players climbing the mountain in a race to the top, and the more blocks you break (or vegetables you collect? They'd probably have collectable veggies outside the bonus round), the more enemies and floors spawn on other players' screens. Collect enough and a polar bear spawns on the other mountains, forcing everyone up one level. There'd also be power ups dropped occasionally, letting players jump higher or break more blocks.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Ice Climber is a meh game to me. Played it on a NES Classic but stopped about half way through since idk i just didnt feel like continuing.

An Ice Climber 99, that actually sounds like a fun idea, would be fun to try race others to the top while avoiding obstacles & new items. Plus could imagine some interest due to the series recognition in Smash without alienating a decent part of your fanbase who wanted something else like F-Zero.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Gonna go against the grain here and say that not only do I love Ice Climber, but a lot of the hate it gets is due to people thinking it should be something that it isn't.

They go in expecting a console-platformer similar in scope to Super Mario Bros. without realizing it was never meant to be that...at its heart, Ice Climber is an early 8-bit arcade title. It, like many of the Black Box games, were originally in development for arcades through the VS System, before shifting them towards the NES. Ice Climber even came out on the VS System first, not the NES. But due to adaptational displacement, the NES version is more well known...despite being a significantly stripped down port.

It's an early 80s arcade game, and in my eyes it excels at that, fitting right in with games like Mario Bros. and Frogger. That and it's just plain fun. Even the objectively inferior NES version is great to me. Sure, it lacks the bee enemy, the blizzards and wind storms, the super levels, and the diagonally scrolling platforms of the VS version, but it's still a good time.

I am Ice Climber's Strongest Soldier.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's an early 80s arcade game, and in my eyes it excels at that, fitting right in with games like Mario Bros. and Frogger. That and it's just plain fun. Even the objectively inferior NES version is great to me. Sure, it lacks the bee enemy, the blizzards and wind storms, the super levels, and the diagonally scrolling platforms of the VS version, but it's still a good time
Woah. This seems like a very different game then what I played.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Gonna go against the grain here and say that not only do I love Ice Climber, but a lot of the hate it gets is due to people thinking it should be something that it isn't.

They go in expecting a console-platformer similar in scope to Super Mario Bros. without realizing it was never meant to be that...at its heart, Ice Climber is an early 8-bit arcade title. It, like many of the Black Box games, were originally in development for arcades through the VS System, before shifting them towards the NES. Ice Climber even came out on the VS System first, not the NES. But due to adaptational displacement, the NES version is more well known...despite being a significantly stripped down port.

It's an early 80s arcade game, and in my eyes it excels at that, fitting right in with games like Mario Bros. and Frogger. That and it's just plain fun. Even the objectively inferior NES version is great to me. Sure, it lacks the bee enemy, the blizzards and wind storms, the super levels, and the diagonally scrolling platforms of the VS version, but it's still a good time.

I am Ice Climber's Strongest Soldier.
Does the VS version control any differently?

The jumping in the NES version at least is what puts me off playing it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Does the VS version control any differently?

The jumping in the NES version at least is what puts me off playing it.
The jump is still similar but, and I'm not sure how to describe it, it feels more deliberate with the added context of the other mechanics?

Like it's meant to feel like a difficult climb since a lot of the stuff that was removed from the NES version is stuff that would exemplify the difficulty of climbing a mountain. If that makes sense.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I've only ever played the Masterpieces version of the game's NES version from Brawl. I was never very good at it lmao. There isn't much I can say that isn't echoing what other people have said or agreeing with some of their points, but I'll try.

The game's concept and core gameplay is great, but I do wish the game had better controls and that the NES version had all the content missing from the arcade version. I've love to see an Ice Climber 99 or a new game in the franchise, something to improve upon the original game as well as possibly to test he waters for future Ice Climber games.

Also, Popp and Nana are awesome. Can't complaint too much about the game that gave us the Ice Climbers themselves.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I like ice climber enough. There’s not that much to say on it but you could both do worse and better in terms of other vs arcade games or black box nes games. Weirdly enough I think the vegetable collecting minigames after you beat a level are way more fun than the levels themselves most of the time

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sorry that I'm late this week, but I'm ready for yet another week. We may switch it to Monday to see how things go. Anywho...

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Game Summary: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the modern darling of the Zelda franchise. Originally announced for the Wii U, Breath of the Wild was meant to be an evolution of Zelda's mechanics. By simultaneously returning to the franchise's roots as well as taking inspiration from modern titles, the developers were able to take the world by storm. Breath of the Wild won several Game of the Year nominations and awards making it one of the most critically successful games of the generation.

As far as gameplay goes, Breath of the Wild takes an open world approach with players able to complete the game's main objectives in any order. One can even fight against the final boss as soon as the tutorial is over. This open design bleeds into every aspect of the game's design. Most tools are found as you play and key items and large dungeons with specific puzzles are gone. Link now has the ability to jump, glide, climb and even shield surf, making the game fun to play and the world fun the traverse.

Narratively, Link has awoken from a hundred year sleep to discover that Hyrule is in ruin. His memory is nearly gone. Zelda is gone and only speaks to him through magical messages. Ganon, now a smoke like monster, has claimed the castle and regularly sends monsters out to attack the land. Link has to rediscover his memories, reclaim the Master Sword and defeat Calamity Ganon once and for all.

Initial Release:
March 3rd, 2017

Playable on...
  • Wii U
  • Switch

• Revali
  • Teba
  • Tulin
  • Daruk
  • Yunobo
  • Urbosa
  • Riju
  • Mipha
  • Sidon
  • Pura
  • Robbie

Critics: 97
Players: 8.7

Confirmed Players:
  • Swamp Sensei
  • Noipoi
  • Zinith
  • PLATINUM7
  • Nirvanafan
  • Killercage
  • Megadoomer

Recommended by:
  • Swamp Sensei
  • Noipoi
  • Zinith
  • PLATINUM7
  • nirvanafan
  • Megadoomer

Let me get this out of the way. Breath of the Wild is a fantastic game and the improvements Tears of the Kingdom made don't make the original worse by comparison. Breath of the Wild is fantastic. I didn't find it a mind-blowing game that changed Zelda forever, but it is certainly a game I love and recommend to pretty much anybody. I do miss dungeons and I do miss the overworld music, but its still fun. I don't know if I want every Zelda game to be like BotW, but I love it for what it is.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ah yes, the game that took me a year to beat.

Not because I was doing everything, but because I sucked :nifty:

Absolutely incredible game. So immersive and full of wonder, it almost feels alive. And this was actually the first Zelda game I ever beat!

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Absolutely phenomenal game.

From the second I started exploring the Great Plateau I was completely glued to my Switch. It was so much fun exploring Hyrule and finding as much as I could dispersed throughout it. There's a lot I want to say about the game and how much I enjoyed but it's hard to find a good place to start. If I can find time later I might speak more of it. I will say here, there are a couple of things I think other games could certainly borrow from BotW.

One of which is the approach to making an world worth exploring. BotW made great use of visual cues and environmental design. I was exploring every possible inch of the game world I could because just always seemed to be something visually striking to want to go and see up close. It might have been something that looked like a puzzle, it could have been a crazy looking landscape and other times it was just a cliff that you wanted to get on top of and see what was on the other side. A lot of open world games are being made but a lot of them rely on giving you a map marker to entice you. I feel like Breath of the Wild was a breath of fresh air in this regard.

Second is the climbing. You see that mountain? You can climb it! You can actually climb it and not get halfway up before the developers make the angle too steep to continue without jumping around like you weren't intended to. The climbing made exploring and just getting about in general so much more convenient. You fell down somewhere? Just climb up, no need to walk all the around something and then retrace your steps. I don't care if it looks like a wall couldn't be climbed, just let me climb it.

Also, coming to this game after the end of the Wii U era, really signalled Nintendo coming back and hitting the ground running.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Me gearing up for a Fire Emblem discussion only for our pattern of topics to be disrupted. Oh well BotW is a fun topic for me too.

It was one of those games that you just sort of felt like you were experiencing a special moment in gaming history. Even if it wasnt nessassarily my favorite game of all time it was certainly close & did feel like it had so much more depth & content than some other of my favorites.

Not sure if anyone else experienced this but i had the game at launch on wii u & since alot of people around me didnt have a switch at launch or a wii u at all, all of a sudden i was temporarily a person people wanted to talk to & hang out with a bit more than usual.

A very big turn around from the original unveil at e3 2014. I remember being very confused as to what was happening & questioning links redesign. Didnt take long though into e3 2016 for me to understand the direction & get more excited than ever for a new zelda game.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
BOTW was my first Switch game and I had a good time playing it.
However while I do think it's a great game, it doesn't feel like a Zelda game to me.
The lack of dungeon items, no memorable dungeons, no worthwhile boss fights (unless you count the Divine Beasts which were great), dealing with the weapon durability mechanic, and a lackluster story and soundtrack has degraded the game standing me over time to the point that I was not interested in TOTK (didn't help that the game is priced at $70).

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, honest question.

Do you think BotW is a replayable game?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So, honest question.

Do you think BotW is a replayable game?
With the amount of freedom you get to tackle things, yes.

Is it something I would go back to frequently? No. I like to do as much as possible so that's a big time commitment but the replay value is there.

It'll be interesting going back to it after playing through TotK.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Kind of depends on the person, personally i find the idea of replaying the game intimidating since it is a huge time sink & id rather play one of the many games on my backlog i havent experienced yet.

I can see it being a little more appealling to maybe doing something different though on another playthrough like say going straight to ganon or at least skipping the divine beasts. Not sure that is worth the time & potential frustration though.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Breath of the Wild was the first Switch game that I got, though I originally had planned to get it for the Wii U. (I went to Best Buy on the Switch's release day, figuring that the Switch would be another Wii situation where it wouldn't be available for months or years; there were people lined up at the door, I was one of them, and there were still some Switches left)

I'm not much for open world games, but I had a great time with Breath of the Wild. I didn't find all of Link's memories or complete the sidequests, and there was a point where I hit a "wall", more or less, and took an extended break (I had beaten the Rito and Zora divine beasts, and I was worried that the Gerudo and Goron areas would be a huge difficulty spike since I'd need specific food/equipment just to survive in those areas), but I enjoyed my time with the game.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Alright everyone, it's almost Halloween.

Let's take a break from our usual schedule to celebrate the spooky season. This week's game is...

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Game Summary: Eternal Darkness is one of Nintendo's very first attempts to break into the horror genre. The game stars Alexandria Rovias as she attempts to find the secret of her family member's death in the Rovias' family manor. While there she uncovers a Lovecraftian conspiracy spanning over millennia. Around the mansion she finds evidence of three (technically four) eldritch gods who command unspeakable horrors. She finds the tome of eternal darkness, which chronicles all of the people whom have suffered due to these gods. The game actually has you control several of these characters, with most of their stories ending in tragedy. Can Alex stop these beings, or will she have to use the gods to defeat the gods?

Eternal Darkness is a classic RE/Silent Hill horror game with fixed camera angles, intentionally clunky combat and loads of undead ghouls to fight. What sets Eternal Darkness apart is two things. You have access to a rather complex magic system that lets you mix and match phrases to achieve a variety of results. And perhaps more famously, there's the sanity system. Sanity is a stat that prevents your character AND you from going insane. If the sanity meter goes low enough, you'll experience a whole crypt full of strange events. Your character may lose their head, your TV's volume may change and the game will crash. After each hallucination, the game will remind you its a game by having the character scream something like "THIS ISN'T HAPPENING." It creates a fun psychological experience.

Initial Release:
June 24, 2002

Playable on...
  • NGC

• Alexandria Rovias
  • Pious

Critics: 92
Players: 8.9

Confirmed Players:
  • Megadoomer
  • Sucumbio
  • PLATINUM7

Recommended by:
  • Megadoomer
  • Sucumbio
  • PLATINUM7

I haven't actually played Eternal Darkness before. The only experience I have is watching clips on Youtube. I do know the plot due to watching a let's play, but I don't think I can really comment on this game. I wasn't into horror when I was younger and now that I do like horror games... it's super expensive. I suppose you could emulate it, but...

It's a scary game.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I got Eternal Darkness about seven years ago. I'm not much for playing horror games (I quit Alien Isolation after the first mission and haven't went back, and I could never get into the classic Resident Evil games due to the camera), but I enjoyed Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, and this was by the same developers, so I decided to give it a shot.

I'm glad I did; it was an interesting and unique experience, and I liked seeing how the developers reused areas but changed them up enough due to the passage of time that it never felt repetitive or lazy. I've beaten the game twice, and I'm planning on starting my third playthrough today, trying to keep my sanity as low as possible in order to see as many of the hallucinations as I can.

The voice acting is a highlight, and there's a lot of big names in here if you're familiar with Metal Gear - Jennifer Hale, Paul Eiding, Greg Eagles, even David Hayter in a minor role... One of the best ones is William Hootkins, best known for playing the unfortunately named Rebel pilot Porkins in Star Wars: A New Hope, who voices Alexandra's ancestor Maximilian (but only during the autopsies) and delivers an unhinged performance while doing so.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
So how many of us have ACTUALLY played Eternal Darkness?
Because I'm not among them.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yay a game I played and still play and HIGHLY RECOMMEND to EVERYONE! This game has it all. Impressive environments, sleek mechanics, great voice actors (lotta talent coming from MGS The Twin Snakes), lots of variety in settings and a ton of really good lore.

In fact it's the lore and setting that really does it for me. For instance as you play you revisit areas and see how they have changed over history. The most impressive changes are at the Chapel. It starts off as a simple country Hamlet for a handful of monks in early Christianity and then comes the era of church expansion, where the area is literally expanded with the original still there just built outward, then years later World War sees it turned into a hospital.

Add to this the Sanity Meter and you have a combination of set pieces and in-game effects that combine to create a wholy unique experience every time. As your Sanity decreases your experience becomes less and less trustworthy of your senses. It's definitely a clever way to amp up the adrenaline aspect of Survival horror games without relying on overwhelming hack and slash moments like... All of RE5.

There's up to 4 playthrough variations with "the true ending" available for those who can manage to beat it all 4 times (the final boss is CRACKED on the 4th try, the Mantarok playthrough).

The weapons are tailored to each level and offer a strong variety of combat options. The battle system is intuitive and really forgiving compared to other Survival horror games of the time. Only re4 stands out as controlling easier but unlike being stuck in over the shoulder view, Eternal Darkness gives us familiar tank controls and the ability to canvas a larger area.

In addition to melee combat we have spells which add a huge layer of depth. This is where the devs really shine imo, giving us a full and immersive quality with the particle effects and sound design; an almost arcade like quality in terms of sheer audio mixing and depth.

This is one game I'd absolutely love to see rereleased on modern console, or even expanded on with a sequel. The puzzles, animation, graphics, story, combat and lore all fit together perfectly for a truly unique and immersive experience that to me has yet to be repeated or eclipsed.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Never played the game, havent looked into it too much either but heard good things about it. Hoepfully it gets some sort of re-release someday since its pretty expensive now from what i see. Could be fun to go into blind though someday.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I got the game a few years ago. Something came up and I never finished it but I feel like starting it again some day and want to finish it.

It is a pretty cool game. The sanity effects are a novelty. Some of the more fourth wall ones are infamous, like the fake save file erasure. I do think unfortunately, they get a bit tired after awhile. You start to realise when you're experiencing one and you always fade back to normality as if nothing happened. I think it would have been cooler if they actually had some lasting effect on gameplay. As is they just serve as a cool and creepy way to slow you down.

Beyond that, the changing setting is pretty cool. There's a nice loop between unlocking more of the manor and seeing the past through the eyes of new characters as you progress through the story. The game also gets compared to Resident Evil a lot. Unlike the old RE games, however, I can manage the controls and fixed camera angles in this game.

Sadly it looks like Eternal Darkness might be Eternally Gamecube. Rereleases for Gamecube games still seem rare unless it's a remake of something that still gets new games. It also doesn't seem like a sequel is likely. There were some crowdfunding campaigns for a spiritual successor but they all failed. Hopefully something happens, even if it's just Gamecube NSO becoming a reality.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I do think unfortunately, they get a bit tired after awhile. You start to realise when you're experiencing one and you always fade back to normality as if nothing happened.
Some of the fakeouts only really work if you're playing it on a 90s-early 2000s TV anyway, like the volume bar/video mode ones. They were lucky most TVs at the time had an interface like that.

I think a Switch rerelease is going to have to replace those with the Switch's volume bar going down, and faking a Switch crash screen or the alert that comes up when you have parental controls enabled.

Top Bottom