• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Direct Coming On June 11th.Count Down Thread Day 00

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I actually remember this. I think someone else on the leaks at some point over at NS2 (Or somewhere else, or maybe it was on a forum I was part of) said "35 character roster" and that's when I was really able to narrow it down before the leaks. Not necessarily to 100%, but I had an idea of "Okay, so a WTF char, maybe a StarFox char, these returning vets, etc

NyaseNya was the one who said there would only be 35 characters.

As for the leakers:

ChaosZero was from GameFAQs.
NyaseNya and ShadowXOR were from SmashBoards.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think I talked with one of them at some point. How did they get access to that information anyways?
ChaosZero and ShadowXOR knew people who were debugging the game (apparently NOA was debugging it).

Its unknown how NyaseNya knew. The more curious thing about NyaseNya is that throughout most of his posting history at SmashBoards he was an infamous troll obsessed with the buttocks of Peach and other Nintendo characters, which is why no one believed him at first.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Brawl has a fantastic doubles scene/fantastic doubles balance, counterpicks, and to top that off, there's still hacks like Project M or Brawl+ if you're disappointed with the original.
I prefer doubles over singles. 4 players on the screen is excellent chaos and people are less likely to camp and play super defensively/cowardly. Everyone has to be on the move and fight. Not stand there, looking pretty like some hooker on the side of the street or a game of "catch the nade" with Snake.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
ChaosZero and ShadowXOR knew people who were debugging the game (apparently NOA was debugging it).

Its unknown how NyaseNya knew. The more curious thing about NyaseNya is that throughout most of his posting history at SmashBoards he was an infamous troll obsessed with the buttocks of Peach and other Nintendo characters, which is why no one believed him at first.
Oh my gosh I remembered that. That was pretty hilarious. Wasn't he the one who said Sonic would be in the game? That made it ten times more rich when the Sonic part turned out true.

Not surprising then. I've known people who were working on Kirby's Return to Dreamland and Donkey Kong Country Returns... then again, for almost everything popular in the industry, I probably know someone involved. Try me.

I prefer doubles over singles. 4 players on the screen is excellent chaos and people are less likely to camp and play super defensively/cowardly. Everyone has to be on the move and fight. Not stand there, looking pretty like some hooker on the side of the street or a game of "catch the nade" with Snake.
Totally off-topic but I would love to play doubles with some of you guys sometime. WHO'S UP FOR THIS/Skype ID's?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I have a feeling another nutbag is going to crawl out of the woods and become the next Nyase. After all, history repeats itself.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
September 11th was a tragedy that forever changed the course of our country. The fact that anyone would DARE compare Lyn's Assist Trophy confirmation to the death of around 3,000 people is when things stop being funny and when you realize that these people really need help. It's incredibly selfish to do and is a massive sense of entitlement; two things I absolutely hate. These people should have gotten visits from 9/11 victims who lost loved ones because of their comments. If any 9/11 victims saw those comments, it would only expose sore wounds that will never truly close.

If comparison to tragic events happens again with a character deconfirmation, I can assure you that those fan bases will see my wrath.
I still remember that one Lyn fangirl on Nsider who threatened to commit suicide because Lyn was confirmed to be an Assist Trophy. It was both funny and sad at the same time.

D

Deleted member

Does anyone else think that if there's legitimate leaks that it could come out of NeoGAF? NeoGAF is a place where you're held accountable for posting reliable inside information or be banned.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ SSBF
I think it's safe to say "No." The burden of proof relies on those members to first be even PARTIALLY RIGHT before we start saying anyone is right, especially given how out of touch with reality some of these posters are. Seriously, they're as dumb as the IGN guy calling for Wario to be replaced by Cloud.
I'm not addressing that issue though. I'm talking about those who flip flop on opinions and only really pick characters based on match ups and nothing else. I'm prepared to hand out the salt to people who ditch MK when he gets nerfed. Very few people pick characters they like outside of Smash. Yeah, that's their issue, I just don't like the phoniness. I think ROB was a terrific surprise especially considering his place in Nintendo's history. I mean, that's what Smash Bros. for the most part represents. A fanservice to Nintendo's properties. Not this competitive BS people want to paint Smash Bros. to be.
Sakurai said he wants people to enjoy playing the game. Some people quite frankly love playing the competitive aspect purely. Ironically, they usually aren't the top players. You look at top Melee competitive (I don't know crap about Brawl's competitive scene now) and players like Mango, Armada, and Dr. PP, and they all genuinely love to play the characters they play.

As for ROB, I'm telling you WHY people stopped playing him. They played him because his play style worked when no one understood how to close the gap (because the Brawl noobies sucked at spacing really bad then, and none of them were really former high-end Melee competitive players), and once everyone caught on, ROB's ability to camp was destroyed. And once a new competitively-viable style for ROB was developed, new players played ROB, along with a few who stuck it out with him. And since then, ROB's been somewhere in the middle of the Brawl tiers (last I checked).

As for people playing characters because of their history, at the competitive level, that's rarely the case. I played Brawl competitively for two years, and I ONLY played my favorite video game character ever in Toon Link. I was the biggest Toon Link fanboy on the internet, but the reason I played him was because he was fun to play as, and I loved his offensive capabilities.

As for ROB as a playable character, he was a nice surprise, and a great character addition, but I wasn't talking about.
And no, I don't really have a problem with the competitive scene since I do consider myself to be competitive but not as I was before due to reasons outside of Smash. But alas, I digress. I'm hoping ROB stays. And didn't people want Mr. G&W and Ice Climbers as well as Ness to be cut from Brawl? What type of mess is that? I remember arguing with people telling them that character placement isn't based on this tier list the community made up. I got attacked for that. But looking back, I have to laugh. Such ignorance and stupidity people have had that, looking through several threads here, never really goes away. Least it isn't as severe as it was before Brawl, thankfully.
One person (not me) called for their cut, and it's usually always a newer member. Personally, I want everyone in Brawl back (because it's a great roster and it's easier to just have a character return than cut them). However, I don't get why you want to discuss with me what someone else feels.
While that may be true, I think that anyone who's good with a favorite, such as Peach, can fare well against a good player using Metaknight. Victory is not exclusive and solely based on MUs but rather how you play and adapt to situations. It isn't so black and white.
At a high level of play in Brawl, Peach was useless last I checked, along with nearly all of the cast.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just in case one of these "prophets" turns out to be true, could we have links to all of the rumors in one place?

Maybe the SSB4 Rumor thread or something.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Just in case one of these "prophets" turns out to be true, could we have links to all of the rumors in one place?

That'd be nice. I'd say it'd be a good point of reference to supplement the incoming hype train. Which by the way will be departing in less than two weeks, folks. Are your tickets bodies ready?

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
As for people playing characters because of their history, at the competitive level, that's rarely the case. I played Brawl competitively for two years, and I ONLY played my favorite video game character ever in Toon Link. I was the biggest Toon Link fanboy on the internet, but the reason I played him was because he was fun to play as, and I loved his offensive capabilities.

As for ROB as a playable character, he was a nice surprise, and a great character addition, but I wasn't talking about.

One person (not me) called for their cut, and it's usually always a newer member. Personally, I want everyone in Brawl back (because it's a great roster and it's easier to just have a character return than cut them). However, I don't get why you want to discuss with me what someone else feels.

At a high level of play in Brawl, Peach was useless last I checked, along with nearly all of the cast.
I wasn't implying or even said anything about you wanting any character cut. Just looking around the boards, I can see some folks being temperamental about who should be cut for whatever nonsense reason. I'm with you on not wanting anyone cut, because there really isn't a point. We're in a generation where patches and fixes can be sent out to balance rosters as well as add characters as DLC. I was more addressing those people who are out of touch when it comes to the gaming industry and how things work at the moment. I can see why some people don't want Smash Bros. to be filled with so much characters due to balancing issues, even Sakurai is cautious about it. But really, there isn't much to afraid about. Smash 4 is bound to be supported even after launch, so balancing the game out shouldn't be an issue. Least, I'd hope so if Nintendo manages it right.

As for Peach, apparently Kyon is the "best" Peach in Florida. I wouldn't really know, this is based on what I heard from a handful of people. Then there's Ryo with his beast Ike. From the two tourneys I recently joined, I see less people using Snake or MK. For what reasons they use those particular character is unknown to me, and well, that's their business. I guess my issue is when people criticize me for using Ness or Kirby when they're using a character they don't like outside of Brawl. Then they get offended. But I tell it like it is- I've been using these two since the first Smash Bros and it's going to stay that way for Smash 4. I don't care about "who's the best character with the best match ups" because that's not what I play Smash Bros for. I use Kirby because he's my most favorite Nintendo character as a kid and I'm still a huge fan of his games. I use Ness because as child, Earthbound has stuck with me. It was my first RPG- hell, I remember the night I got it back in my pre-school days. Wasn't till 2nd grade till I delve in and progressed since I would just walk around Onett, wondering where I should go until I asked my brother to help me reach the box that had a guide in it lolol Thus, I found out how amazing and glorious this game was. That's why I use Ness. For the memories and the fact it's one of my favorite games of all time.

(Apologies for the story, I got carried away)

Anyone who wants to judge me for using these apparently "bad" characters can have the back seat. At least I'm consistent and stay true to what Smash Bros. is about. Picking your favorite Nintendo character and kicking ass. I'm sure no one got SSB64 because of "OMG! A Street Fighter game featuring Nintendo characters!" The reason I got it because seeing Kirby and Pikachu in the same game was like dream come true.

Anyhow, I'm going to stop. I'm going off on a tangent.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I remember just before brawls Japanese launch, Chrono made a thread about melee's leaks.

It went something like, Luigi and Ganondorf were confirmed via interview. (similarly to how Ganondorf and Shiek were confirmed for brawl.) some guy posts on a site and says he knows the roster and will reveal it about a week before the Japanese launch of melee, but nobody believed so he posted it to some GameCube fansite. People were outraged and in denial. And then screenshots were posted of the newcomers, and most people said they were fake. And then the Japanese release happened. People got mad and said they'd boycott melee.

Or you can read Chorno's better written and unabridged topic here.

http://www.smashboards.com/threads/...brawl-roster-does-get-leaked-on-topic.134204/

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
There's very few people on SWF wanting people cut on these boards; trust me, I've got as many posts speculating smash 4 short of anyone not named Omega and possibly Oasis. Everyone else I had way more posts than.

And few people want characters cuts, and if they do, it's 3rd party characters, or characters like Wolf, Toon Link, and Lucas, who are semi-clones or clones.

As for the roster, people want improvements. When characters are flawed in fundamentals or balancing whether it makes them too strong or too weak, people want changes. Captain Falcon was weak as hell, so quite frankly, he should go back to being awesome like in Smash 64 or Melee. Ganondorf is fundamentally flawed as hell (in terms of being a Captain Falcon clone, which makes minimal sense), and he should finally get at least a few unique moves.

As for your Brawl tournaments, local tournaments and major tournaments are a hugely different deal. I once made it to the final 32 or so out of thousands of smashboarders in an online tournament, and I did fairly well at local tournaments when I played Brawl. But man, the big tournaments will eat you alive.

Also, you're talking about your way of playing as if it is superior, which is laughable. Smash bros is about playing a game however you want to play it, wherever you want to play it, whenever you want to play it, for whatever reason you want to play it. To tell people to do something a certain way over such a free and unique and option-filled game like smash to play it one way or another when it doesn't involve you is stupid. To act otherwise is to be a simple-minded child. I'd no sooner not tell 4 friends playing with all low tier characters, items on very high on Hyrule Temple not to change how they play as I would a match up of Hungrybox and Mango with no items, Fox dittos on Final Destination (and for the record, I've witnessed both live in person).

If the franchise was meant to be played one way there would be no options to play it another way, and it would be specifically designed to be played that way. Also, Sakurai would say smash is only "x and y" and the entire alphabet and every number like he says it is.

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
I wonder which WTF Characters will appear to make the whole thing "leak proof", as nobody will believe the real rooster (like in Melee and Brawl) until they see it with their own eyes.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240

I could see that turning out quite disastrous. Chances are we won't know the roster for a long time, so some members may think it's funny to make up a fake roster and pretend it's real for a long time. I mean even more than normal, because then they're more likely to garner more attention.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Anyone know what time the thing will be shown in GMT? Need to know kinda soon.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Anyone know what time the thing will be shown in GMT? Need to know kinda soon.
Well, it's being shown at 10 here (EST) so isn't that roughly 3 (15:00) GMT? Should be about right.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
How long will it last? Because the just HAD to be the EXACT time I have a DAMNED meeting.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yes, you're correct. It is at 3 PM (15:00) GMT.

I live in the GMT time zone. :p
Like the last direct? Then for me it's 5 PM.

I haz plenty of time to get ready, I guess. (->v<-)

Also OMG what Lyn has pretty... interesting fanboys. Wanting to suicide themselves 'cuz she's not playable? What.

I mean hey I know your feel with Starfy but lol

D

Deleted member

And few people want characters cuts, and if they do, it's 3rd party characters, or characters like Wolf, Toon Link, and Lucas, who are semi-clones or clones.
Wolf is a clone? That's news to me. His play style is really different from Fox and Falco's. Have you spent much time even playing as him?

If any were cut from those 3, Falco is far more likely than Wolf, just because I think Nintendo holds more value of "Protagonist" and then a "Villian" character to compliment them, than a "Protagonist" and "Gee, I guess I should be thankful".

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Wolf is a clone? That's news to me. His play style is really different from Fox and Falco's. Have you spent much time even playing as him?
That's why I said semi-clone; the only real "clone" IMO is Toon Link and Ganondorf, and maybe Luigi. Wolf still has the same down B, a similar neutral B, a somewhat similar up B, and a freaking Landmaster! :laugh: If Wolf had like 1, maybe 2 more different moves, I wouldn't even consider him a semi-clone.

Also oddly enough I consider the Smash 64 roster something of a clone-filled roster. After all, most of them have like the same 1 or 2 attack for all of their non-special attacks. Oh and don't even get me started on other fighting games, because so many freaking Street Fighter characters are clones of Ryu.
If any were cut from those 3, Falco is far more likely than Wolf, just because I think Nintendo holds more value of "Protagonist" and then a "Villian" character to compliment them, than a "Protagonist" and "Gee, I guess I should be thankful".
I don't think Wolf being a Villain would allow him to get in over Falco. Falco is the more popular character, and that decides that, along with being playable in the last 2 smash games. But regardless, the fact of the matter IMO is that Falco is as close to a lock as you can get, and Wolf isn't too far off, either, especially since Sakurai said he loved Brawl's roster.

D

Deleted member

You know who really needs to be on the next roster? Waluigi.

I know that he is generally hated around the internet, but it's just like trying a new food. How do you know you don't like it, until you've tried it.

Also for those insisting on hating the Wa, may I direction your attention to the video below?

How can you hate the guy after that?

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
Nintendo World Store Bringing E3 Exclusive Demos To Fans

The
Nintendo World Store has an impressive treat for Nintendo fans across North America. Those lucky enough to attend the store, situated in the heart of Manhattan at the Rockefeller Centre, New York, will be able to play exclusive E3 games for five consecutive days. The announcement comes straight from the store’s Twitter account, where Nintendo gamers can immerse themselves in an E3 experience starting from June 11. Here’s what Nintendo World Store said:
“Starting June 11th, the #E3 experience is coming to#Nintendo
World! For 5 days, fans will have early access to our newly announced games.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/05/30/nintendo-world-store-bringing-e3-exclusive-demos-to-fans/

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
There were three-four primary leakers:
- ChaosZero (who said Lucario was in, that Mewtwo was cut, that Wolf was in, and described the Dragoon item)
- NyaseNya (who said there would be an upcoming delay, mentioned Olimar, Toon Link, and a specific move of Olimar's, and said there would be 35 characters).
- Serebii (said Lucario was in, and that Mewtwo was out)
- ShadowXOR (who said ROB, Ness, Marth, and Mr. Game & Watch were in).

From the similarities of these, I basically put together what was Brawl's roster. I don't think anyone else did this aside from me (they pretty much just pasted the roster I put together).
OH, Ok. I forgot exactly what all happened. I knew you put the roster together but I thought there were others in the picture who are long gone. Surprised you still remember the names.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I remember the mayhem of the Brawl leaks. I knew ShadowXOR was one of them, and he was levelheaded (Though I also kinda remembered that he went "dood, where's my respect?" when people went to give nods to the roster).

I also remember someone had modded their Wii in college to play Brawl, and that's where I discovered that I liked playing Lucas.

Ideally, I'd prefer no one to get cut. And I doubt SSB4 is going to be that far out--I predict it will hit about this time next year (May-June 2014).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That seems.... surprisingly believable.

Honestly it does. It's just vague enough.

Although, wasn't the Pokemon Direct (Or showing or something) already confirmed to be at 6 P.M. EST on the 11th, making the supposed rumor about the 13th incorrect?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
That and the rumor about SF Wii U/Kirby and Metroid 3DS are surprisingly... believable.

Also is it me or does it feel like we're so close yet so far away? I'm actually kind-of glad that I'll probably sleep in during Nintendo's direct. What time is it on June 11th?

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
That and the rumor about SF Wii U/Kirby and Metroid 3DS are surprisingly... believable.

Also is it me or does it feel like we're so close yet so far away? I'm actually kind-of glad that I'll probably sleep in during Nintendo's direct. What time is it on June 11th?
June 11 at 7am Pacific / 10am Eastern / 3pm GMT.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I wont see it until the day after. I have an all day investment boot camp and work the next day. Be a long wait though.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I'm going to ignore rumors for the most part, mostly because they're easy fishing bait.

...and not to steer too backwards into leaks, I actually remembered the Melee leak that claimed Mr. Game and Watch, and how that person said his taunt was annoying (and Mewtwo's taunt was godly).

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
We're getting closer as we (well East coast atm) are now into the month of June. It just means things will get more intense from here on. So get your bodies ready!

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
Nintendo Opens Its E3 Website

Nintendo has opened its E3 website. The website – e3.nintendo.com - displays a countdown timer to Nintendo’s E3 Nintendo Direct presentation, which begins at 7 a.m. PT on June 11th. The website also contains silhouettes of several Nintendo characters – like the one shown above – including Toon Link, Pikmin, Mario, Luigi, Yoshi and a hero from The Wonderful 101. Furthermore, the website confirms that players who aren’t attending E3 will be able to experience “four unreleased Wii U games” at participating Best Buy locations.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/01/nintendo-opens-its-e3-website/

Top Bottom