• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announces Players, Rules, More for E3 Invitational

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I am. When I saw Geoff Keighley's name, I'm like, "Oh, no..." and facepalming myself. Reggie would have been a much better host.
I think he's gonna **** all over the event in a passive aggressive sort of way. I think it'll be pretty funny.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I wonder if they'll be sellin GC controllers with dat smash logo. If so I gotta buy one, I'd prefer if it had a second z-button, clickable analog sticks and flat L and R buttons though. Maybe they'll come out with a sexy pro controller with a smash emblem on it.

King~

Smash Champion
he's said many times how brawl is a bad game, and complains about ice climbers alot (brawl ic) but bad games can be fun too :)
except he hasnt actually people have taken things out of context and said that he said it, and out of the two he likes it less thats been said. this is also the same guy when brawl was hot and melee was non existent(09-12) was saying he just played melee for money but no one seems to remember that. the point i was making is that he loves all smash, and has actually said those words many times.

plus no one likes brawl ics(except ic mains)

Magic_Shaunson

Smash Rookie
When that GC Adapter pic went on Nintendo's twitter I had 5 different people at work send me a Skype message about it; they all knew it was relevant to my interests :D. Get hyped!

DarthZ3bra

Smash Rookie
NNID
dudeitsniko
3DS FC
1392-5551-8019
First post/comment ever on Smashboards for me and this is just so beautiful

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
I'm not sexist, but I think the only reason that the girls are there because they are girls.
Or maybe they're there because they enjoy smash bros and they deserve to be there.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
This is incredible. Already, according to Screwattack's Top 5 wishes from the pros... We have two wishes fulfilled for the dedicated fans which is Little Mac playable and wired controller support and it being GC controller support at that. Now, we're just waiting for the Melee-style gameplay to happen. Now I'm not talking about wavedashing and L-cancels and all those other Melee mechanics, but Melee-style gameplay in the form of faster gameplay speed than what we have seen in Brawl, a little more hit-stun to make linked attacks like in Melee, and the moments that make so many of us fans just jump out of our seats screaming for our favorite players.

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Im not really go back with my gamecube controller and I gonna stay with my pro controller (That I just brought)...
BUT MAN, SURE LOOK SWEET AND ALREADY NOTICED HOW MANY FANS HAS ALREADY *GASPING* AND FANGIRLS EVERYWHERE!!!
At least nintendo doing the right thing to please the fans and the competitive fans too. Im really excited and happy these news sooooo...
Where the last newcomer or retuning fighters?

Une

Smash Apprentice
hold on a second aren't most of those guys melee players why shouldn't it be more like brawl players wtf

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
4 players? items on? Battlefield only? Drafted characters? Single Elimination? Much salt will be sprinkled during this tournament.

210stuna

Smash Lord
That would be funny in the first round once the countdown is done and the announcer says GO! that Ken and everyone try to wavedash back and forth.

#OldHabbitsDieHard

Jem.

Smash Master
The time has come! Nintendo has just announced details of the Super Smash Brothers Invitational @ E3. The ruleset, players, and commentators have all been introduced through a YouTube video uploaded today. There is a special announcement waiting for fans at the end of the video - be sure to watch the whole thing!

The Players

The players chosen for the E3 Invitational are listed below, in order of appearance:

Lilian "milktea" Chen
Hugo "HugS" Gonzalez
Ken "LiquidKen" Hoang
Daniel "LiquidKDJ" Jung
Neha "Lilo" Chhetri
Hendrick "DJNintendo" Pilar
Kris "Toph" Aldenderfer
Sam "PeachyHime" McNaughton
Juan "Crs.Hungrybox" DeBeidma
Kevin "PewPewU" Toy
Kevin "EG PPMD" Nanney
Dakota "TheRapture" Lasky
Cristin "Crismas" DeSaro
McCain "MacD" LaVelle
Masaya "aMsa" Chikamoto
Gonzalo "CT ZeRo" Barrios

The Commentators

The commentators chosen for this event are some of the best in the business. Any Smasher that enjoys watching tournament streams will recognize these names immediately.

Wynton "prog" Smith
Bobby "Scar" Scarnewman
D'Ron "D1" Maingrette

Wynton "Prog" Smith Speaks Up, along with co-hosts Scar and D1!

The Rules

The ruleset for this tournament is a mix of casual and competitive thinking. The bracket will be single-elimination, with matches featuring 4 players with 4 stocks each, and a 5 minute timer, with the top 2 advancing to the next round. The first three rounds will have items on, and the last round will be played on Battlefield with no items. As an interesting twist, players will select their characters through a special draft, and will then use that character for the duration of the tournament. Players will pick a number out of a hat 1 to 16, and will then pick their characters in that order. However, not all announced characters will be available for selection - Ike, Charizard, Yoshi, Sheik, Diddy Kong, Lucario, Dedede, Toon Link, Peach, and Luigi will not be participating in the Invitational.

For the full ruleset, take a look at the official Nintendo explanation!

The Gamecube Controller

Nintendo has developed a Gamecube controller adapter for the Wii U. It was only teased in the video, but this is great news for competitive Smash Brothers fans reluctant to learn a new control setup. It appears that it will also be wired! The adapter plugs into the Wii U through 2 USB ports, meaning that tournaments will not have to worry about wireless cross-ups!

So many announcements! What do you think of the players chosen? Do you like the ruleset? Voice your opinions in the comments below!

Super Smash Bros Invitational @ E3
*Writer's Note* If you use Twitter, please thank Nintendo for putting on this amazing event with the hashtag #thankyounintendo. Let them know you appreciate the work they have put into all of this!

The Derrit is actually way too pumped for this. Viva Nintendo! Follow me on Twitter at @TheDerrit.
Congrats to everyone competing!! gl hf

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I wonder if they'll be sellin GC controllers with dat smash logo. If so I gotta buy one, I'd prefer if it had a second z-button, clickable analog sticks and flat L and R buttons though. Maybe they'll come out with a sexy pro controller with a smash emblem on it.
Analog buttons are great for racing games though, and :109: Super Mario Sunshine remake:109:.

buttmunch236

Smash Rookie
NNID
buttmunch236
I just thought of something, what if Sakurai would come right after the invitational tournament and congratulate the winner himself, then he would challenge the winner to a match. The winner would use his/her character that they used the whole tournament but Sakurai would show off a secret character and pick Mewtwo.
That would be Hype.

Suli Hyuga

Smash Cadet
Lilian "milktea" Chen
Hugo "HugS" Gonzalez
Ken "LiquidKen" Hoang
Daniel "LiquidKDJ" Jung

The people I'll be rooting for :) MILKTEA WOOOOO

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
GameCube... controller... adapter...?
WITH FOUR PORTS?

I am going to list that crappy Mayflash adapter on eBay tomorrow.
I so hope they officially re-release the GCN controller. Mine are getting a little loose. I might have to buy them in bulk.

This whole event keeps getting better and better! There's even a Best Buy not far from where I live hosting the Smash demo event!

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm excited enough thanks to these news to honestly just play Mario Kart till E3 and not even think about the PotD or anything Smash related. It's so great to see these acknowledgments.

D

Deleted member

Let's just ignore the items and come to an agreement that none of the competitors touch them. #IgnoreTheItems

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
Let's just ignore the items and come to an agreement that none of the competitors touch them. #IgnoreTheItems
#lLetUsJustBeHappyThisIsHappening

I am expecting to see how pro players 1 up each other using their:
- item management and usage skill
- their skills on taking advantage of the terrain
- their skill on managing the 4 player FFA chaos by spacing or leveraging on AoE moves

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Prog and D1 are amazing. And looks like you guys got your precious controller after all, I'll still be using the Gamepad, but still, congratulations.

BlizzyWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlizzyWuff
Ohhh, I like that direction but.. :V
No m2k :c
I hope people pick Fox >.> (at least 1 person.. cmon :3)

Pyrogamer

Smash Journeyman
For everyone that doesn't seem to believe me that Sakurai is doing his absolute best to atone for past mistakes and do right by the Smash community, this is proof. I've had goosebumps all morning. This game looks amazing and this event is an incredible step forward for Nintendo embracing their fans and players.

Kojzilla

Smash Rookie
Kinda was hoping M2K would be chosen, but still a nice line up. Mega Hype!
Hopefully the reason why he wasn't shown on the list is because Nintendo is taking a page off capcom's book in which they have the "reiging champ" (who is an obvious pick for an invitational but is somehow not invited to join tournament.) play an exhibition match with whoever wins grand finals of the tournament.

Fig Newton

Smash Cadet
NNID
Figglypuff
While I'm sadden that I wasn't selected to be part of the Super Smash Bros. Invitational (and I'm certain anyone who did send an entry but also didn't get accepted feels the same way) I do believe that the tournament will be an exciting one and I really do hope that Nintendo will look very deep in their hearts that next year in 2015, the Smash community will get their own VGC much like the Pokemon community did back in 2009. Considering the fact that this year is the first time Nintendo has acknowledged the competitive Smash community, I really do believe that it is possible!

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
Oh cool Milktea will be there with another girl. Hopefully we can expect another article/blog about sexism in the smash community for white knights to flock to. They better not let Amsa play Yoshi or else this tournament would be in the bag.

Top Bottom