• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NickRiddle's Apex training! - January 5, 2013

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
ace, technically the only character to take ur stock for one mistake is IC's

every other character usually requires a series of "mistakes" or reads to land that stock, MU dependant of course

ZmazhCrew

Smash Rookie
Street Fighter is not all about long combos lol. It's about footsies. You're not losing to "basic moves." You're losing to your opponent out spacing you and they are more fundamental then you. Only a few characters are heavy combo based and even then combos in SF get damage scaled hard.

EDIT: It's funny seeing people who have know idea about fighting games talk about fighting games lol.
indeed it is funny. point of the matter is, if you could read my gibberish and then correct it, you understood what i was trying to say. thank you.

I wouldn't say I have no* idea about fighting games, but I'm definitely not that big a fan of SF. My criticism may have seemed over simplistic, but I really just meant that I enjoy other games that demonstrate more depth in action (such as Brawl). I understand the concept of footsies, I just don't enjoy playing a game where small mistakes against a properly muscle-memorized opponent result in losing half my health while there is literally nothing I can do about it.

Also, the first time I played it competitively I brought an XBOX controller cuz I didn't have a fightpad and people made fun of me. I ran home scarred for life, crying to my mommy
lol. no one enjoys (or can have fun for that matter) playing a game where small mistakes are costly against (as VSC said) a fundamentally skilled player. Coming from a skill level where i know not a damn thing of high level competition, i'm told i'm decent, but the mistakes here are costly. been shown the mistakes, now need to put theories to the test agaisnt real players, computers ain't cutting it.

Wolfkrone plays SF with a regular controller. He's one of the best players in the world. You could use whatever controller you want to use, it's your ability in game that matters. You can't let what people say and do affect you.

Anyhow, you're supposed to be punished if you make mistakes. The player who is clearly on point with their character should always be beating someone who makes mistakes, big or small. Even then, in SFIV, combos are SEVERELY damage scaled the more hits in a combo so if you lose half your life it's because your opponent is really ****ing good at execution.

this is true... i'll just keep my opinion to myself on this one.

Also, LOL at muscle memorized combos, of course their are because there is no DI in those games (aside from SoulCalibur). High majority of combos get their big damage through hard links (1-2 frames). You make it sound like anybody could own in the game.

If you don't practice the game, don't expect to do anything against competitive players.
Point blank, ^ your statement is true to the tee, thus why i asked if there were other places nearby hosting tourneys to practice; because i'm not expecting to do anything against competitive players until then. :glare:

ZmazhCrew

Smash Rookie
There's nothing wrong with his falco...its good...it was a joke...

:phone:
forgive me, but joking isn't my natural nature. so lol.

Get trolled.

thanks nick.

ace, technically the only character to take ur stock for one mistake is IC's

every other character usually requires a series of "mistakes" or reads to land that stock, MU dependant of course
i see. let me give you three situations.

1. ditto match Zsuit (me) vs Zsuit (Nick) = he knows her better than i do so any move i make can be a potential mistake and he flat out said it and its true : he goes into battle knowing what to do, whereas i read the actions and think about how to react next.

2. Falco (me) vs Wario (you) = on multiple occasions, practice or at ZP you have punished falco badly, whether i stay far or up close on you (that chain grab has 02D'd me before). and isn't the matchup in falco's favor..?

3. Samus (me) vs Wario (you) = All close matches, i won 1 outta 3 matches. you weren't making mistakes tho; i'm just super comfortable with samus and i know her inside and out; as she's my main next to Zsuit.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
what's wrong with ANY of those situations?

before i say anything, wario beats falco imo :p

but moving on to why ur absolutely wrong in ur logic

Playing scrubs will in NO way improve your chaces vs the "competative players" your talking about.

playing on a more even field is only gona get u better at one thing: beating those players already on ur playing field

the only way u will get better at beating the better players, is by playing them. and sorry to burst ur bubble, but if there were random tournies not at ZP with some gold mine of random players, chances are a top player would be there

know your goals, decide what they are, then decide a course of action from there

complaining about top players taking your stocks cuz they know situations better is redundant and wasting our time reading it (sorry)

Esam didn't get where he is by playing scrubs over and over

he played me for weeks

that didn't work

so he played me for months

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Those last three lines are godlike Seibrik
yea I gotta admit that was pretty good

also another SFL falco? sheesh its a disease i swear

Edit: I had to go back a few pages to actually see what seibrik is talking about (I tend to ignore anyone who posts in purple text when Im on my phone cause its stupid hard to read). Now that I've caught up, all of seibrik's post is legit (but especially the last 3)

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
what's wrong with ANY of those situations?

before i say anything, wario beats falco imo :p

but moving on to why ur absolutely wrong in ur logic

Playing scrubs will in NO way improve your chaces vs the "competative players" your talking about.

playing on a more even field is only gona get u better at one thing: beating those players already on ur playing field

the only way u will get better at beating the better players, is by playing them. and sorry to burst ur bubble, but if there were random tournies not at ZP with some gold mine of random players, chances are a top player would be there

know your goals, decide what they are, then decide a course of action from there

complaining about top players taking your stocks cuz they know situations better is redundant and wasting our time reading it (sorry)

Esam didn't get where he is by playing scrubs over and over

he played me for weeks

that didn't work

so he played me for months
First off, to clarify, I'm agreeing with Seibrik. I don't think it'll be that hard to tell, but sometimes when people see Quotes, they automatically think it's a joke or an argument.

I've learned from my karate Sensei that you can practice a kick 1,000 times a day with poor form and that will do nothing but teach you how to kick with poor form. Practicing with the best form you can 10 times a day is better than poor form 1,000 times a day.

For someone to get better, they not only need to play more, but play right. If the same stupid predictable habits work over and over against your "friends" then that just reinforces bad patterns that will get you ***** in tournaments. The best way to play is by learning how to learn, and unfortunately without a mentor it is near impossible.

People in the Smash community have had extensive EXTENSIVE practice with the structure of the smash games, whether it is 64, Melee, or Brawl. Yes, while they are all different, they still have the same learning mechanics. If someone wants to get better, they need to get a MENTOR who can TEACH you these things to a point where you can teach yourself. ESAM, Seibrik, NickRiddle, or any other player didn't do this on their own nor did they do it in a year, or two, or even three, and they sure as hell didn't do it by playing "break the target-" brawls with their friends.

Learning Smash isn't easy. Learning Smash won't take a day, a week, a month, or maybe even a year, but learning Smash will teach you lessons that you will hold near and dear for the rest of your life. Competitiveness, strategic planning, mentorship, being part of a community, but most importantly of all, it will teach you HOW TO LEARN, and that is priceless.

So, get out there and go play Smash.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
First off, to clarify, I'm agreeing with Seibrik. I don't think it'll be that hard to tell, but sometimes when people see Quotes, they automatically think it's a joke or an argument.

I've learned from my karate Sensei that you can practice a kick 1,000 times a day with poor form and that will do nothing but teach you how to kick with poor form. Practicing with the best form you can 10 times a day is better than poor form 1,000 times a day.

For someone to get better, they not only need to play more, but play right. If the same stupid predictable habits work over and over against your "friends" then that just reinforces bad patterns that will get you ***** in tournaments. The best way to play is by learning how to learn, and unfortunately without a mentor it is near impossible.

People in the Smash community have had extensive EXTENSIVE practice with the structure of the smash games, whether it is 64, Melee, or Brawl. Yes, while they are all different, they still have the same learning mechanics. If someone wants to get better, they need to get a MENTOR who can TEACH you these things to a point where you can teach yourself. ESAM, Seibrik, NickRiddle, or any other player didn't do this on their own nor did they do it in a year, or two, or even three, and they sure as hell didn't do it by playing "break the target-" brawls with their friends.

Learning Smash isn't easy. Learning Smash won't take a day, a week, a month, or maybe even a year, but learning Smash will teach you lessons that you will hold near and dear for the rest of your life. Competitiveness, strategic planning, mentorship, being part of a community, but most importantly of all, it will teach you HOW TO LEARN, and that is priceless.

So, get out there and go play Smash.
-tear-

10tears

True Blue

Smash Lord
Edit: I had to go back a few pages to actually see what seibrik is talking about (I tend to ignore anyone who posts in purple text when Im on my phone cause its stupid hard to read). Now that I've caught up, all of seibrik's post is legit (but especially the last 3)
I know right? I hate that Purple text... And hate it when people hide sentences cause my phone makes it difficult to highlight things and see certain stuff too. Wish there was a setting or something to allow you not to see colors lol

2-DJeff

Smash Master
Wario does beat falco. Especially if wario knows the CG. When solo learned the CG before he left to cali he 3socked me every game and Also beats Hrnuts falco. But anyways. If someone from sfl is willing to drive to this im down to go :)

True Blue

Smash Lord
I'ma make this speed up by a few posts lol

True Blue said:
Brett, calm down.... It's not that big of a deal...
8Bitman said:
Carl, calm down.... It's not that big of a deal...
True Blue said:
8Bitman said:
True Blue said:
8Bitman said:
True Blue said:
8Bitman said:
True Blue said:
8Bitman said:

8Bitman

Smash Master
WHOA!! SOOOO COOOOOOOOLLLL!!! Definitely wouldn't take the time out to do this though lol. I love how my name is not blue at all in all of that text lol.

8Bitman

Smash Master
2link isn't nice. I heard he brought a gun into ZP and robbed them. :o
AND I HEARD YOU'RE A ****** ** ******* ******** ********* * * ** *** * ********* **************** **********************************************************!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But in all honesty, Taylor, calm down.... It's not that big of a deal...

True Blue

Smash Lord
Cause your name is FalseRed now.
No it would have to be False Yellow cause Yellow is the inverted color of Blue unless we go by the color wheel then it would be False Orange.

AND I HEARD YOU'RE A ****** ** ******* ******** ********* * * ** *** * ********* **************** **********************************************************!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But in all honesty, Taylor, calm down.... It's not that big of a deal...
HOLY GUACAMOLE! He said something else!

So when exactly is that gonna start getting old? Sometime in the near future please?

And probably not. It's gonna be like Pokemon, it will never die out...

Top Bottom