• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Some people are just upset that they prioritized Arnold's grandma over their favorite characters.
Yeah, and it's only Arnold's granny who's truly a weirdo on the whole entire cast. Gerald only seems weird because of the lack of Arnold and/or Helga, but he'd still be high priority for a third Hey Arnold rep if the devs took this roster more seriously. And most of the roster could potentially make the cut anyway if Ludosity treated it like serious business except...uh...Leo and Mikey instead of April and Gertie?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Shredder was on Double Dare.
It's not really his home stage. It's just a random stage he was packaged with. Even the wording when introducing it in Shredder's showcase was different than all the other characters. In reality he shares the Rooftops stage with April. Meanwhile Gerald, a character from Hey Arnold, was given a stage from The Loud House as his home stage.

LimeTH

Smash Lord

Can anyone else confirm this? Are the characters in the middle actually cut due to time constraints? That's a shame, but an interesting position where they could be DLC in the future
I can't confirm anything, but, if I can repeat myself a bit here, speculatively, I totally believe Hugh and PTM were supposed to be in the game and were cut for time because of all the story mode portraits they have. However, I don't believe Lincoln was going to be out either way because of the two TLH stages, meaning they had to have planned a second TLH character and Loud Castle is very heavily associated with Lincoln as a character.

I still wonder what was up with Loud Castle. This is the first time that a character was given a home stage that isn't from their show.
God forbid we have ONE silly newcomer in this game full of main character picks.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I can't confirm anything, but, if I can repeat myself a bit here, speculatively, I totally believe Hugh and PTM were supposed to be in the game and were cut for time because of all the story mode portraits they have. However, I don't believe Lincoln was going to be out either way because of the two TLH stages, meaning they had to have planned a second TLH character and Loud Castle is very heavily associated with Lincoln as a character.
Yeah. I do believe that Hugh and PTM were originally planned to be a part of the game, but got axed due to time constraints and might be added back later on as free updates. I also think that a second TLH rep was planned, but scrapped as well, and that they also scrapped a Hey Arnold stage that was supposed to be Gerald's stage. I believe that this scrapped second TLH rep will be one of the four paid DLC characters, so due to the leakers' comments I don't think it's Lincoln.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Meanwhile Gerald, a character from Hey Arnold, was given a stage from The Loud House as his home stage.
Please, since you're clearly oh-so-knowledgeable, show us humble fools where literally anyone, be it dev, discord mod, playtester, even a mod on the game's subreddit has said Gerald's home stage is Loud Castle rather than him just sharing with Gertie

And if you can't

Stop pulling stuff out of your ass.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Yeah. I do believe that Hugh and PTM were originally planned to be a part of the game, but got axed due to time constraints and might be added back later on as free updates. I also think that a second TLH rep was planned, but scrapped as well, and that they also scrapped a Hey Arnold stage that was supposed to be Gerald's stage. I believe that this scrapped second TLH rep will be one of the four paid DLC characters, so due to the leakers' comments I don't think it's Lincoln.
So I'm right about everything except Lincoln.

Figures.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So I'm right about everything except Lincoln.

Figures.
That assumes I'm right. There's a possibility that Lincoln was axed later in development, hence the Loud Castle's existence. There's no guarantee that we're even getting a TLH rep in the Season Pass.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
That assumes I'm right. There's a possibility that Lincoln was axed later in development, hence the Loud Castle's existence. There's no guarantee that we're even getting a TLH rep in the Season Pass.
Dude, that's what I've been saying.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Did you make this or did this come from like reddit or something?
Found it on twitter, a dude claims thist from leaks + a friend

I'm asking here cause some people seem to be in the know and leak talk is banned anywhere else.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Did some back reading and it's genuinely ridiculous that some people think Kart Racers 3 genuinely has a better roster.

Like yeah, Sandy, Helga, Toph, and CatDog made it back there. That's great. But the roster also has Jojo ****ing Siwa, a second Reptar (in a roster where Tommy and Angelica were cut...curious, considering this same person's stance on main characters!), and characters from the maligned SpongeBob spinoffs...including Young SpongeBob. And no Nigel in sight.

You can complain about NASB2's roster omissions all you like, but to say Kart 3 did better?

Sure Jan.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Not to derail the thread with talk of KR3 but no joke replacing Jojo, Purple Reptar, Kamper SpongeBob and Patrick, and comics Raphael, and replacing them with Nigel + the cut characters from the previous game (Tommy, Angelica, Heffer, and Shredder) would've infinitely made that roster better. Clones are a bit more acceptable in a fighting game, but there's no excuse in a kart racer.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I think talking about cuts is a guarantee for fighting games, and I think we would still be talking like this if EiH was a thing or not.
I certainly think the discourse would be different, at the very least. Cuts were largely seen as a normal thing before Ultimate to the point that you had people wondering if Mewtwo would be axed a second time. Now, they're treated as a stain on the genre and an objective failing of any game that has them.
Why even think of them as "cuts" when nearly the whole game's built from the ground up? It's like getting upset about, I dunno, G being cut from Street Fighter 6. These characters weren't cut, they just didn't make them.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
WHY IS EVERYBODY STABBING ME IN THE BACK?
We aren't? Maybe I could have explained it a little nicer, so sorry for that, but you're being over dramatic about your distaste for the roster.

This game actually LOST a chunk of the memey, funny picks from the last game in favor of more main character picks. Youre using the one (1) silly character as a scapegoat to paint the entire roster.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
...Dude, what are you even talking about?
He made a post earlier about thinking there should be 2 NASBs: One for serious picks, and one for Ludosity's wacky meme picks.
We pointed out how the wacky memes on the roster are minimal, Nigel has merit besides memes, and Ludosity might've also had to fight for some of the main protagonists we got.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
We aren't? Maybe I could have explained it a little nicer, so sorry for that, but you're being over dramatic about your distaste for the roster.

This game actually LOST a chunk of the memey, funny picks from the last game in favor of more main character picks. Youre using the one (1) silly character as a scapegoat to paint the entire roster.
Honestly, I actually think this is my biggest issue with the roster. Aside from Grandma Gertie and Lincoln being cut, a lot of the choices just feel a little too safe for my liking. It was really awesome to see dark horse picks like PTM, Oblina, and Hugh in the game and I just don't think this game has that same "wow" factor that NASB1's first trailer had. Like I said, Gertie fits in line perfectly with that but even then, most of the new characters in this game are either main characters, villains, or characters that felt objectively missing from the first game. I'm really kind of missing that level of surprise that the first game's roster had if I'm being frank.

I certainly think the discourse would be different, at the very least. Cuts were largely seen as a normal thing before Ultimate to the point that you had people wondering if Mewtwo would be axed a second time. Now, they're treated as a stain on the genre and an objective failing of any game that has them.
Why even think of them as "cuts" when nearly the whole game's built from the ground up? It's like getting upset about, I dunno, G being cut from Street Fighter 6. These characters weren't cut, they just didn't make them.
I don't think it's necessarily cuts in general that's the issue for people. All fighting games have cuts, it's to be expected unfortunately. Most of the issues stem from how many cuts there are as well as who they decided to cut and who they decided to bring back. I'm not well versed in many fighting game communities outside of platfighters, but 11 is a ludicrous amount no matter how you slice it. I understand that absolutely NONE of this is the fault of the developers themselves as the time and budget was very crucial for them, but I do think it's a fair thing to criticize the game for. Cutting characters like CatDog, Leo, Mikey, and Sandy while bringing back April of all characters is just an objectively bad decision. Like I said, I do want to refrain from dooming too much as I've seen enough of that here already, but it's not rocket science to see why some people are upset. With or without EIH, I guarantee people would be just as disappointed as they are now.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Cutting characters like CatDog, Leo, Mikey, and Sandy while bringing back April of all characters is just an objectively bad decision.
Sure, but do you want this game to potentially be the victim of "STILL no Jimmy/Squidward/El Tigre/Norbert/Daggett/Raphael/Donatello"? Because the ratio of cuts to newcomers seems to be 1:1.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Sure, but do you want this game to potentially be the victim of "STILL no Jimmy/Squidward/El Tigre/Norbert/Daggett/Raphael/Donatello"? Because the ratio of cuts to newcomers seems to be 1:1.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I just think this game should have had more time in the oven so that the devs could cook. It's very clear that this game is a step up from the first in every single way EXCEPT for the roster. I honestly would have liked to see a balance between main characters like Jimmy, Squidward, and the other two turtles while also bringing in funny characters like Hugh, PTM, and maybe even Gertie if I'm being generous.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Honestly, I actually think this is my biggest issue with the roster. Aside from Grandma Gertie and Lincoln being cut, a lot of the choices just feel a little too safe for my liking. It was really awesome to see dark horse picks like PTM, Oblina, and Hugh in the game and I just don't think this game has that same "wow" factor that NASB1's first trailer had. Like I said, Gertie fits in line perfectly with that but even then, most of the new characters in this game are either main characters, villains, or characters that felt objectively missing from the first game. I'm really kind of missing that level of surprise that the first game's roster had if I'm being frank.
Exactly. If you want an interesting roster in a crossover like this, you need a mix of mainstays, deeper cuts and the occasional surprise pick. I thought NASB1 actually did this quite well. It had main characters, some interesting major character over protagonist picks, a few deeper cuts, and a few surprises. I think it struck that balance, and NASB2's roster, while good in its own, does feel a bit safer by ONLY having Gertie as it's designated surprise character. And people are gonna hate on her because she isn't Timmy Turner or something.

Seems like a lot of people just want protagonists and nothing else. That really wouldn't make for a fun roster. Even Smash mixes it up a little, you know.

Exactly. If you want an interesting roster in a crossover like this, you need a mix of mainstays, deeper cuts and the occasional surprise pick. I thought NASB1 actually did this quite well. It had main characters, some interesting major character over protagonist picks, a few deeper cuts, and a few surprises. I think it struck that balance, and NASB2's roster, while good in its own, does feel a bit safer by ONLY having Gertie as it's designated surprise character. And people are gonna hate on her because she isn't Timmy Turner or something.

Seems like a lot of people just want protagonists and nothing else. That really wouldn't make for a fun roster. Even Smash mixes it up a little, you know.
I'm one of those people that want protagonists, but I also want them to go nuts after bringing them in. But if I may get technical, the best ratio of protagonists to surprises should be this:

50% Main Characters
40% Deep Cut Callbacks
10% Surprise Picks

In a 25-character roster, that should be 12-13 protagonists, 10 deep cut callbacks, and 2-3 surprise picks. An easy win for everyone.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Keeping Lucy but keeping Lincoln in just feels utterly off.

The fact they also almost had Danny cut but keeping Ember in.

Protagonists don't exactly have the best luck it seems...

NASB2 is a perfect example of both bad and yet strange decisions.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Protagonists don't exactly have the best luck it seems...

Spongebob, Patrick, Squidward, Aang, Korra, Raphael, Donatello, Ren and Stimpy, Garfield, Invader ZIM, Jenny, El Tigre, Jimmy Neutron, Norbert and Dagget, Rocko and Danny Phantom are all here. All main characters. Plankton, Lucy, Gerald, Nigel and April are major characters in their respective shows. Jimmy Neutron, the main character, replaced Hugh, the "memey deep cut" (who appears in every episode so he isn't a deep cut).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It might be naive of me to hope that sometime soon the complaining about cuts will be over and people can possibly talk about what IS in the game and enjoy it for what it is.

To me it really is a case of ' It is what it is'. You vent the loss and then you move on to what's actually there and if the game is for you then you enjoy talking about it and if it's not then you focus elsewhere where it's more worth it for you.

Maybe I'm the one that's stubbornly holding onto a vision, not of a game, but of a community XD.
(yes it's supposed to sound a bit like a dramatic post)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Because it shows where the devs' priorities were.
All three characters were fan favorites, and they tossed around the idea of which of the two to prioritize. They ultimately decided on Danny and Ember. You're painting this open-mindedness with a needlessly antagonistic brush.

Because you love comparing this game to Smash so much, we know because of the Gematsu leak that there were discussions over whether to prioritize Ness or Lucas back in Smash 4, with the other maybe becoming DLC. And this panned out because in the end Lucas was cut and resold as DLC. But they DID consider cutting Ness, who had been in every game prior. Does this suddenly make Sakurai have priorities that are out of line?

Be serious please.

Last edited:
Top Bottom