• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm sorry but I just can't buy that they cut over half the roster, advertised the game is bigger than before, and then have more or less the exact same size.

Doesn't make a lick of sense.
I mean, technically, NASB 1 launched with 20/22 characters, not 25. So if NASB 2 launches with 25 it wouldn't technically be wrong to call it bigger and "better"

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, technically, NASB 1 launched with 20/22 characters, not 25. So if NASB 2 launches with 25 it wouldn't technically be wrong to call it bigger and "better"
That'd be a really scummy way to advertise things to be blunt.

That and they've already shown off characters in the Squidward trailer. Call me crazy but, advertising characters from the first game who outright won't be in the 2nd game is such a ridiculously bad decision on advertising that I can't believe they'd be that dumb.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It wasn't "bigger than the last base game."

Shroob

Sup?
Call me completely behind the schedule and not fully read up on everything, but is it just not possible you were fed bad info? I'll outright admit I dunno much about you or your sources, and I'm not calling you a liar or anything of the sort, but from what I just read briefly, all the stuff you've said either didn't happen or it was shot down internally behind closed doors, aka things that are unproveable by the likes of us.

Are you 100% sure you're just not being lied to via your sources?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
As Told by Ginger.
As someone who unironically likes As Told By Ginger, it's vibe just really does not fit a fighting game, like, at all. It's a story about growing up and the complications of life for a lot of less fortunate kids. I suppose you COULD theoretically make Carl or Hoodsie work, and there are plenty of people who would love to give Dodie a kick in the teeth, but it has like, no chance haha.

I may think it's the newest unrepped Nicktoon to have even the slightest shot at being DLC, but I think "classic" here just refers to 90's and early 2000's.
Stop making me feel old, I already know I am.

So upon reflection and more thought, I’m pretty certain what I was told was ACTUALLY real info, it’s just, it was real info from January, so naturally stuff changed pretty substantially since then.

I decided to just make a comprehensive list of everything I was told that I can remember, feel free to check it out and take it at face value or with a massive grain of salt, entirely up to you and I don’t judge anyone for not buying any of it

- Donnie was originally DLC and Raph and Casey were the main game TMNT newcomers. At some point between then and now Donnie got priority (probably should’ve taken that as a sign that other things got massively changed too lmao, oh well). Idk if Casey was scrapped or pushed to DLC instead, it’s basically 50/50 atm, so when that other SmashBoards guy came in guns blazing insistent that Casey was in, I couldn’t really say he was right or wrong (and I still don’t know if he is right or wrong for the record)

- I was told Vlad was chosen over Ember (only DP reps I heard for the record), but then after Vlad was chosen he was turned into the campaign antag, and it’s when this change was made that insiders became confused whether he was actually playable or not. Combining this with the fact that Luna Loud was THE Loud House rep that I heard was definitively in (and pretty much the only character I was told with certainty) my guess is that they changed Vlad to the campaign antag and no longer playable (I don’t know for sure if he is or not, just theorizing) and replaced Luna with Ember, likely due to being requested more. Based if so but again I’m just theorizing based on what I heard

- Tak (Power of Juju not Zim) and Zuko were initially like equal in terms of who they wanted in (that’s not to say they were fighting for a spot, just that they were both just as likely to get in at that point). Tak seemed to be dropped early on though, my guess being THQ negotiations falling through, but I was still under the impression we were getting Zuko. I was also told Azula, Katara and Asami could’ve been in and one of my sources explicitly said a female Avatar character could be in. Turns out that ended up being Azula, which leads me to my next point.

- I was told they wanted more villains, but when I was told this it was always in conjunction with Dib and Vexus. Maybe they got turned into campaign bosses, maybe they’re DLC, who knows. Obviously this became what we got though, just with Plankton, Azula and Ember instead

- I heard Mr. Krabs, but again, seemed to have gotten switched to Plankton

- I was told Solo Cosmo or Solo Wanda by were at least pretty reasonably considered for fighters. Probably not what we’ll actually get by the time DLC comes around, I’m guessing they scrapped them similarly to Casey and we’ll just get Timmy as DLC. Speaking of

- I not only never heard Timmy brought up as being discussed to be in, but was told pretty explicitly that he wasn’t allowed? I never got an answer why, believe me I tried, but whatever this reason was seems to have been only a base game problem (so I’m guessing it was Nelvana bull****) as I’ve been told Timmy is very much eligible and even pretty likely for DLC

- I was told Squidward, Jimmy, Raph and El Tigre were locked in as newcomers VERY early on. Otis and Snap I was told were too, obviously didn’t end up happening lol. With how much I heard Otis and Snap discussed though, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they both got repurposed into DLC

- Other characters I heard (though not very much/implied to have only been temporarily discussed) are Otto/Rocket Power, Crimson Chin, Jorgen, Kitty Katswell and Mr. Blik. Speaking of

- I’ve been told over and over again Mr. Blik is most likely DLC. And in this instance I think I have probably enough cause to believe it’ll actually happen

- The fact that I never heard Angry Beavers at all adds to my theory that it was originally Snap or Otis until they got repurposed into DLC, and maybe Beavers were chosen due to ease of development (sorry Lime I know they’re not identical but I’m gonna guess they’re gonna have matching skeletons at least)

- As far as I can tell, Donnie Thornberry and Debbie Thornberry was what we believed were the unexpected and WTF picks (we had heard nothing about Gerald or Gertie). The day before the full roster was leaked someone randomly DM’d and tried to misdirect us, claiming it was Heffer and Dr. Hutchison. This was bogus. I’m guessing Donnie Thornberry is still just part of the stage and Debbie Thornberry was also a misdirect/bad assumption on our part

- In the end, based on everything I’ve been told/heard, I think I have probable enough cause to believe our DLC lineup will be (in no particular order) Mr. Blik, Otis, Snap and Timmy

I think that’s all I got, I’ll update it if there’s anything I’m forgetting
I'm gonna completely be honest, friend. Your info is bum, 100%. Mr. Blik's questionable legal status the lineup being super predictable are the biggest red flags.

Knowing how their choices are...something. I bet if they choose a FB and CC character it would be Kyle for the funnies

View attachment 375497
Isn't this dude, like, the only character people liked from this show anyways?

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Are you 100% sure you're just not being lied to via your sources?
shrug

who knows at this point. It's not really relevant anymore though and I don't think it'll play a factor into DLC (I was kinda already leaning towards that DLC lineup prediction anyways) I more just wanted to share what I heard for the sake of it, just so it's out there

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I can't imagine the Angry Beavers being separate tbh.
You have no idea who you just said that to.

Hi, nice to meet you, resident The Angry Beavers fan here! I've been arguing in favor of Solo Beavers in here for almost two years now! I even drew some movesets for them!

Here's the sum-up someone asked me to write, so I don't have to write it up all over again.

- NASB1 would not be able to handle it, and if NASB2 has similar problems, it wouldn’t be able to either, especially on certain platforms.

- It's not true to the characters.

• It limits any moveset potential and pigeonholes them into being another “beat each other up to fight” character, which we have two of already. People didn’t like Hugh having two moves similar to Garfield, would they really be okay with the Beavers sharing moves with CatDog and R&S?
  • Making them model swaps of each other means limiting the personality of each. Beyond basic body shape, Dag and Norb are nothing alike in personality or mannerisms. You’d either need to make them act out of character or water them down to make the shared moves work.
  • A lot of the potential attacks the beavers have that can be referenced are used on each other. Having them separated and competing against one another is truer to their sibling rivalry dynamic than just having them beat each other up to fight.
  • The show itself doesn’t treat the two as a singular unit. Unlike CatDog and Ren and Stimpy, Norb and Dag are shown to have lives outside of each other, with Norbert having a social life and Daggett very often enacting harebrained schemes by himself.
  • There in general would be more to work with in a single Beaver than if they stapled them together.
- Not every pair of characters in existence needs to be crammed into a duo fighter
  • There’s no real reason to make them a duo fighter beyond the fact that there’s two of them.
  • Much like how Ren and Stimpy turned out, there’s no gimmick that would justify it.
  • They aren’t interchangeable clones like people seem to think. They are cartoon characters, not video game characters, so that logic does not apply here.
  • People who are unfamiliar with the characters are only putting them together like this because it sounds like an easy 90’s character pick, not because they are fans of the show.
  • Team battles exist if you want them to work together. As MVS has shown with getting to play co-op as Finn and Jake or Rick and Morty, that’s arguably more fun.
- There’s already a limited pool of Nickelodeon characters as it is, keeping them separate leaves more potential picks open for the future.
  • Even if we get one Beaver to start with, eventually we’ll get the other as the series continues with more DLC and sequels.
  • If people want four separate Turtles, we can have two separate Beavers.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Although Nick doesn't fully own them. The rights to Catscratch are shared between Nick themselves and the creator, Doug TenNapel. Catscratch is technically a licensed show as it is very loosely based on a graphic novel series called Gear that TenNapel made back in the 90s. So, they would have to get him involved. And I don't know if they want to considering that Doug TenNapel is very problematic.

Looking at the Nicktoons wiki page, Catscratch is just listed as an original cartoon without any notes that the characters were/are partly owned by a third party (unlike the licensed shows/shows with shared copyright on the list), so I'm pretty sure that Viacom has the rights to the Nickelodeon adaptation of Catscratch. If that's the case, they don't need to include Doug if they wanted the characters in, just like how the Earthworm Jim reboot isn't involving him.

Also, this game is also no stranger to including shows with problematic creators, we wouldn't have gotten the Loud House or Ren and Stimpy characters otherwise. The devs seem to follow the philosophy of separating art from the artist.

Though the main problem I see with a character from Catscratch is that the show itself wasn't too memorable compared to its contemporaries. I remember liking it when it was airing but I don't think it had as much staying power as other programs.

Last edited:

Treydemark™

Dietz Nuts
Slippi.gg
DEMO#408
NNID
Treydemark
3DS FC
1736-7728-7517
Switch FC
SW-7122-3889-9790

Hi, nice to meet you, resident The Angry Beavers fan here! I've been arguing in favor of Solo Beavers in here for almost two years now! I even drew some movesets for them!

Here's the sum-up someone asked me to write, so I don't have to write it up all over again.
Damn, Guynamednelson warned me and I didn't listen 😰.

Also, I haven't seen Angry Beavers outside of like, one episode. I just assumed it made the most sense to have them as a duo fighter because other people kept suggesting it. You bring up good points though.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Looking at the Nicktoons wiki page, Catscratch is just listed as an original cartoon without any notes that the characters were/are partly owned by a third party (unlike the licensed shows/shows with shared copyright on the list), so I'm pretty sure that Viacom has the rights to the Nickelodeon adaptation of Catscratch. With that they don't need to include Doug if they wanted the characters in, just like how the Earthworm Jim reboot isn't involving him.

Also, this game is also no stranger to including shows with problematic creators, we wouldn't have gotten the Loud House or Ren and Stimpy characters otherwise. The devs seem to follow the philosophy of separating art from the artist.

Though the main problem I see with a character from Catscratch is that the show itself wasn't too memorable compared to its contemporaries. I remember liking it when it was airing but I don't think it had as much staying power as other programs.
Thing is, Catscratch is a kinda-sorta-not really adaptation of Doug TenNapel's comic series Gear, which stars the same cats. Paramount doesn't own Gear, which likely means they don't fully own Waffle, Gordon, and/or Mr. Blik.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Damn, Guynamednelson warned me and I didn't listen 😰.

Also, I haven't seen Angry Beavers outside of like, one episode. I just assumed it made the most sense to have them as a duo fighter because other people kept suggesting it. You bring up good points though.
Yeah, I always assume other people who put them together like that are just using them as easy speculation fodder, not that they actually know the characters or the show. Not your fault.

My question for all of you is, because I have actually tried and can't think of anything besides "beat each other up", "use each other as bludgeons" and "generic beaver **** like biting and throwing logs" and I am actually legit curious at this point, what kind of moves do you all picture Duo Beavers having?
Give me some peace of mind because if they are a duo, I'm gonna be bummed as hell if they end up turning out like Ren and Stimpy.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Thing is, Catscratch is a kinda-sorta-not really adaptation of Doug TenNapel's comic series Gear, which stars the same cats. Paramount doesn't own Gear, which likely means they don't fully own Waffle, Gordon, and/or Mr. Blik.
To add onto this, ownership issues are likely why a lot of things are weird regarding it. IIRC it only got one season despite being decently popular (especially more so than its single season contemporaries like The X's), and never got a dedicated home media release (instead just having the occasional single episode on a Nicktoons compilation DVD).

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
I really don't see them putting Mr Blik as dlc, copyright or not, too much of a "who?" pull for casuals, more so than Jenny, who at least has internet fandom

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
To add onto this, ownership issues are likely why a lot of things are weird regarding it. IIRC it only got one season despite being decently popular (especially more so than its single series contemporaries like The X's), and never got a dedicated home media release (instead just having the occasional single episode on a Nicktoons compilation DVD).
On the other hand, it was able to get a playable character in Toybots on DS when KaBlam! couldn't even get any Master Models on any version of the game, despite having copyright notices.

Treydemark™

Dietz Nuts
Slippi.gg
DEMO#408
NNID
Treydemark
3DS FC
1736-7728-7517
Switch FC
SW-7122-3889-9790
Yeah, I always assume other people who put them together like that are just using them as easy speculation fodder, not that they actually know the characters or the show. Not your fault.

My question for all of you is, because I have actually tried and can't think of anything besides "beat each other up", "use each other as bludgeons" and "generic beaver **** like biting and throwing logs" and I am actually legit curious at this point, what kind of moves do you all picture Duo Beavers having?
Give me some peace of mind because if they are a duo, I'm gonna be bummed as hell if they end up turning out like Ren and Stimpy.
Well, the stuff you mentioned lol.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
On the other hand, it was able to get a playable character in Toybots on DS when KaBlam! couldn't even get any Master Models on any version of the game, despite having copyright notices.
Yeah, it's just a weird property in a lot of regards. My only guess for Toybots DS is that maybe it was still under contract at the time and Nick had more leeway? I don't know.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Don't have much confidence for Blik either. Even if they don't care about Doug TaNapel being a festering **** pile, there's still the matter of ownership, licensing, etc. Supposedly the same stuff holding up Timmy but not Cosmo and Wanda apparently.

If I'm being honest, if they were going to shell out the dosh for a character they had to license, I'd rather they go for Doug. He was one of the OGs, after all.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Honestly, while I definitely think it wouldn't happen, I'd be down for Mr. Blik just because I like Wayne Knight as an actor
While I did say they might not fully own Mr. Blik, I wonder if things are slightly different for him in particular since his Gear counterpart is named Mr. Black.

For those who are wondering, Waffle and Gordon didn't have name changes.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

images (4) (7).jpeg

This I found.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
While I did say they might not fully own Mr. Blik, I wonder if things are slightly different for him in particular since his Gear counterpart is named Mr. Black.

For those who are wondering, Waffle and Gordon didn't have name changes.
Also, the three cats in the Nick show look distinct from their Gear counterparts, so that might help their chances legally, provided they don't make references to the comic.

I don't think the rumor is correct, legal rights aside I think that Mr. Blik is a pretty random choice for DLC compared to other characters, but I don't think it's improbable.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Locking in my totally uneducated prediction for the four known DLC slots as Timothy, Otis, Snap, and Mr. Krabs (not necessarily in that order). I'm very confident in Timmy and Otis for obvious reasons, and Snap's an oddball who would please a ton of people. Krabs is admittedly a bit of wishful thinking on my part, but I think there'll be a noticeable gap in SpongeBob representation with Plankton's inclusion that many would pay good money to see filled.
Of course, any of these could get replaced with the next Hugh/Gertie-tier pick no one's expecting. That's the fun of it all :p

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Also, the three cats in the Nick show look distinct from their Gear counterparts, so that might help their chances legally, provided they don't make references to the comic.
Catscratch is a SUPER loose adaptation of the source material, so they can easily make a character and stage without needing to reference Gear.

To sort of also address the other presented topic, I’m about 90% certain at this point that everyone we haven’t seen in yet is in fact cut and that Vlad probably isn’t playable either
DON'T SAY THAT!!!! ;n;

This really is gonna be like Kart Racers 3 isn't it? Taking steps forward and steps back.... If they cut 11 unique characters then I'm just gonna wait for the game to go on sale (because we all know it will) before buying it. There's no way I'm paying full price to lose content.

Now that I think about it, based on your info, I'm glad they added Ember instead of Luna. Luna's fanbase can be beyond insufferable, and we'd never hear the end of it if Lincoln were cut to accommodate her. It'd also be cruel to cut Lincoln in the game that adds Loud Castle, when the movie it is from is literally about Lincoln stepping OUT of the shadow of his sisters.

Last edited:

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
I refuse to be suckered into buying for NASB 2 if they finally add my most wanted characters, addressing my biggest issue, only to cut my two boys. Leo and Mikey are the most popular too there's zero excuses for cutting them. Any remaining faith and respect I had would go down the drain if I had to be honest.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I like how everyone forgot that when the model sheet for the first game leaked it was literally missing six characters from (the intended) base roster

Specifically, Zim, Toph, Korra, Shredder, Oblina, and Sandy. And by that point Zim, Oblina, and Sandy had all been officially revealed and we knew Korra was on the box.

Take a chill pill ya'll. The fact that Hugh is allegedly back but doesn't appear on the art proves that the entire roster isn't there.

PapaGenos also stated that those are just the new characters he saw. Obviously their models would get priority since they don't have reference models to work with.

Let's not be all doom and gloom yet.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
I like how everyone forgot that when the model sheet for the first game leaked it was literally missing six characters from (the intended) base roster

Specifically, Zim, Toph, Korra, Shredder, Oblina, and Sandy. And by that point Zim, Oblina, and Sandy had all been officially revealed and we knew Korra was on the box.

Take a chill pill ya'll. The fact that Hugh is allegedly back but doesn't appear on the art proves that the entire roster isn't there.

PapaGenos also stated that those are just the new characters he saw. Obviously their models would get priority since they don't have reference models to work with.

Let's not be all doom and gloom yet.
I'm just saying my thoughts and prepping for the worst case scenario. All I need is the turtles together and I'm satisfied. The base roster is perfect otherwise and all the potentially cut chars returning would be hefty bonuses for me.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
I'm still coping hard that almost everyone is back and Vlad is playable. Sue me for being hopeful. I do think Gir is just an alt though

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
While I don't think everyone not seen is cut, I also think it's ludicrously unrealistic to expect a built-from-the-ground-up game with only 2 years of dev time and a story mode to bring everyone back - even if we don't know if the story mode will actually have platforming stages or not.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
While I don't think everyone not seen is cut, I also think it's ludicrously unrealistic to expect a built-from-the-ground-up game with only 2 years of dev time and a story mode to bring everyone back - even if we don't know if the story mode will actually have platforming stages or not.
Oh I don't expect it lol. But I don't see them cutting 11 characters

Shroob

Sup?
I mean we've seen all but like 6 characters in promo material, and there's a very good chance 4 of those are basically confirmed.

Coupled with the huge influx of Villains being added making a Shredder cut extremely dubious, literally the only one who is 100% up in the air right now is Toph.

Idk, I feel like if 99% of the roster ends up coming back, they wouldn't cut just one character.

Top Bottom