• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I want to question why NASB2 decided the equivalent to the Hammer theme should be supermarket music, but then again, the Hammer theme being 80s 8-bit music is probably confusing if you're not clued in on the Donkey Kong Lore.
I'm going to headcanon that it is a reference to how the UK feed of Nickelodeon would air teleshopping at night because they're not legally allowed to show George Lopez.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I want to question why NASB2 decided the equivalent to the Hammer theme should be supermarket music, but then again, the Hammer theme being 80s 8-bit music is probably confusing if you're not clued in on the Donkey Kong Lore.
I'm going to headcanon that it is a reference to how the UK feed of Nickelodeon would air teleshopping at night because they're not legally allowed to show George Lopez.
...you mean the Super Star theme? This item gives you invincibility.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wait Iroh's out now? Definitely need to try him soon.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Oh, is that what that small update I saw just now was for?

Neat! Looking forward to seeing how Iroh plays!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Iroh's now coming soon. The question now becomes is this the end of support for NASB2 or not?

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Iroh comes out sooner after Rocksteady than I thought he would.

No trailer or anything yet? That’s only two days away.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I know it's not an intentional decision as much as the DLC being greenlit under the assumption the game would be more successful than it ended up being, and absolutely detrimental in every way to the game, but damn, it feels really good for NASB2 and its DLC to just... exist. I've said this on other threads but I don't think I've ever brought it up here: I grew up on retro games, a mix of compilations; original hardware; and piracy, and even for at-the-time modern games I'd get them multiple years after they released second-hand, so to me, a game just existing and not being in the zietgeist is kinda the default, and it's refreshing to go back to that feeling within a modern game that also features popular IP characters and not just a niche-by-design indie game.

I think both NASBs are games I could imagine someone picking up 20-30 years from now on a pirate ROM set without context and enjoying, much as I did Mega Drive and SNES games as a kid, which isn't something I can say for the very marketing-centric modern Smash games. Having lackluster marketing is bad, don't get me wrong, but I also think it's a lesser evil since it signifies that temporary marketing hype was not on the mind during development.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm just gonna come right out and say it: I love NASB2. It's genuinely my second favorite plat fighter of all time. But the fact the first game released in the state that it did is what likely killed chances of us ever getting a third game. It burned too many people by being so - for lack of a better term - cheap-feeling. Ignoring quality of the gameplay, the presentation absolutely hurt the game bad and it burned people so bad they didn't want to give two a chance.

Don't get me wrong - it is not the devs' fault, they did their best with what they were given, and 2 as it is is a wonderful game with tons of love poured into it - but the first game I will admit will be tarnished for me a bit for knowing what it did to the perception of the series. If it had just been able to be delayed until some voicework and visual polish could be added I don't think it would've been so bad but those are a bandaid on the fact that it just didn't have a hook to make it feel like something other than a lesser Smash to the general audiences. Multiversus even had the gall to kick it while it was down with their first presentation highlighting their slick art style and big budget voice cast.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Iroh's absolutely coming out today - the DLC page has changed the buy button from "releases date" to "not yet avaliable", but the statistics box below still says today as the date - 4 hours from now, right? Usually this DLC comes out at 17:00 UK time.

I'm just gonna come right out and say it: I love NASB2. It's genuinely my second favorite plat fighter of all time. But the fact the first game released in the state that it did is what likely killed chances of us ever getting a third game. It burned too many people by being so - for lack of a better term - cheap-feeling. Ignoring quality of the gameplay, the presentation absolutely hurt the game bad and it burned people so bad they didn't want to give two a chance.

Don't get me wrong - it is not the devs' fault, they did their best with what they were given, and 2 as it is is a wonderful game with tons of love poured into it - but the first game I will admit will be tarnished for me a bit for knowing what it did to the perception of the series. If it had just been able to be delayed until some voicework and visual polish could be added I don't think it would've been so bad but those are a bandaid on the fact that it just didn't have a hook to make it feel like something other than a lesser Smash to the general audiences. Multiversus even had the gall to kick it while it was down with their first presentation highlighting their slick art style and big budget voice cast.
I love NASB2, but honestly, I'm not entirely convinced anyone else does and isn't just using it as a prop to backhandedly tear down NASB1 - I very rarely hear someone say point blank "I like Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl 2" and not "GUYS THIS ISN'T LIKE THAT CRAPPY FIRST ONE! THEY REALLY RENDERED THAT CRAPFEST IRRELEVANT". I think a lot of NASB2 discussion outside of NASB circles comprises of trying to win over people who will not play the game instead of celebrating it on its own merits, while discussion in NASB circles is comprised of either jealousy when NASB1 gets any kind of attention or overextended cut moaning.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm shocked that Iroh is releasing right now. I thought after we had to wait until July to get Rocksteady that he would be a fall release.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I’m frankly amazed they’re just shadow dropping him with no warning whatsoever. Same thing they did with Zuko oddly enough they just threw him in there.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Anecdotal of course, but from my own experience watching everything unfurl, it wasn't entirely 1's fault. It certainly didn't help, but people were willing to give it a second chance. There was hype surrounding the NASB2 reveal trailer.

What seemed to kill it was the one-two punch of half of the roster being cut (including absolutely MAJOR characters like Sandy, Helga, Toph, CatDog, Leonardo, Michelangelo, and fan favorite Hugh), and the Switch version of NASB2 being an unoptimized mess (this doesn't get brought up as much, but it immediately killed off half the potential playerbase, considering how the PC and Switch sales were relatively even). The much smaller third issue of the DLC being known way in advance and also including some controversial elements itself also didn't help, but as stated, it was a much smaller issue.

Yeah, 2 fixed the presentation, gave what many felt was much better gameplay, and added in quite a few of the biggest roster omissions, but when it comes at the expense of half of the roster, or in the Switch's case the load times and frame rate, it's more than an uphill battle.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Iroh's absolutely coming out today - the DLC page has changed the buy button from "releases date" to "not yet avaliable", but the statistics box below still says today as the date - 4 hours from now, right? Usually this DLC comes out at 17:00 UK time.

I love NASB2, but honestly, I'm not entirely convinced anyone else does and isn't just using it as a prop to backhandedly tear down NASB1 - I very rarely hear someone say point blank "I like Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl 2" and not "GUYS THIS ISN'T LIKE THAT CRAPPY FIRST ONE! THEY REALLY RENDERED THAT CRAPFEST IRRELEVANT". I think a lot of NASB2 discussion outside of NASB circles comprises of trying to win over people who will not play the game instead of celebrating it on its own merits, while discussion in NASB circles is comprised of either jealousy when NASB1 gets any kind of attention or overextended cut moaning.
I mean that's the thing though isn't it? Outside of NASB circles. This series has its own little niche playerbase but to the casual consumer who isn't as plugged into gaming pr platform fighters it's just seen as a lesser version of Smash anyway but the lack of polish at launch for the first one definitely turned a lot of people off immediately. Games like No Man's Sky and Cyberpunk are lucky enough to have enough hype and marketing they can sort of getaway with the "fix it later" mentality since their install base was just so massive but NASB was filling a relatively small niche all things considered.

Personally I adore NASB2 and in an upcoming video I have a huge section praising how great it is. It definitely has comparisons to the first but I do make sure to point out I think the first game was a solid starting point.

Anecdotal of course, but from my own experience watching everything unfurl, it wasn't entirely 1's fault. It certainly didn't help, but people were willing to give it a second chance. There was hype surrounding the NASB2 reveal trailer.

What seemed to kill it was the one-two punch of half of the roster being cut (including absolutely MAJOR characters like Sandy, Helga, Toph, CatDog, Leonardo, Michelangelo, and fan favorite Hugh), and the Switch version of NASB2 being an unoptimized mess (this doesn't get brought up as much, but it immediately killed off half the potential playerbase, considering how the PC and Switch sales were relatively even). The much smaller third issue of the DLC being known way in advance and also including some controversial elements itself also didn't help, but as stated, it was a much smaller issue.

Yeah, 2 fixed the presentation, gave what many felt was much better gameplay, and added in quite a few of the biggest roster omissions, but when it comes at the expense of half of the roster, or in the Switch's case the load times and frame rate, it's more than an uphill battle.
I can agree with you that I definitely feel those are contributing factors, though I do feel that the main one was the perception of the first at launch, and those other factors just added onto the mess. And it sure isn't the devs fault, it rests squarely on Nick and GameMill for - two times in a row - not giving them the time (or budget) they needed to iron out everything.

I'm just sad because I frankly just don't expect this series to continue past this point. If we're lucky we might get some more DLC - but I just don't see a third game in the table at this point.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Timeless Stardial and Conch Street are here!

Probably something else I forgot... uh... of course, Timeless Stardial Two-Platform, Timeless Stardial Triangle Platform, Timeless Stardial Moving Platform, and Timeless Stardial Clean! Classics!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Competitive stage list has been completely reworked, but none of the comp stages have been reworked to the extent of how Battlefield Harmonic was revised after classic Harmonic was removed from the stage list. Sweet Dreams and Technodrome share the Smashvile layout, as do Irken and Timeless for the (non-sloped) Pokemon Stadium, with the only differences being stage/blast zone length and platform heihgt. This is already something PM does with Castle Siege/Pokemon Stadium. Tremorton is a variant instead of the original, as is Stardial, and there is no final destination equivalent in the comp stagelist.

EDIT: Royal Woods Switch lag has NOT been fixed. Stardial outright replaces Harmonic in the competitive stagelist, so once again Harmonic got it bad

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So Iroh just dropped with no trailer and not even a tweet. Did the team just don't care at this point or marketing budget was so low that they couldn't market the last fighter.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Fair Play Labs did a tweet on it.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So they just dropped Iroh without even a Showcase video? That's weird.

Edit: We have a reveal trailer:

Hopefully this means the showcase isn't too far behind.

Edit 2: And here's the showcase:

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Master
you were saying?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
If this is indeed the last NASB content ever, I'm content with that. I'm really just happy that the series created 2 great games - discourse, playercounts, rosters, and marketing be damned, that's what really matters: the games! Everything I listed is temporary and will be forgotten, but the games will always be there.

And hey, Slap City's probably still getting updates if its Switch shop description is to be believed, and if FPL does its own platfighter, IP or no IP, I'll be there.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
A while back, in the RTC thread, I said that while I wanted both Zuko and Iroh, I didn’t think both would happen, but if somehow they were able to make it work, I’d be thrilled.

Pretty damn happy that ended up coming true.

I hope this isn’t the end too, of the game and of the series at large, but man, what a journey. From the rough yet promising beginnings, to being considered one of the greats in the genre. Here’s hoping history is as kind to these games as they deserve.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Don't get me wrong, I love Iroh, but I will note that to me he feels kinda the most...vanilla of the DLC? I mean having an install is cool but not much of the ground he seems to cover is anything that Zuko or Azula doesn't already.

I'm still happy he's here, just weird that he was the last one

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I feel kinda bad for not booting this game up since Krabs dropped, especially since it's probably over now. Definitely gotta open it again to see how the new characters are. Anyway Iroh looks sick, bit gimmicky for me, but that's about what I expected. I love how many funky followups he gets out of stuff like Neutral Special and Light Forward, and the tea install looks neat. Those lightning attacks look NUTS, can't wait to try 'em out.

If we're doing a collective post-mortem for NASB2, I really wish I enjoyed this game more. I gave it a fair shot when it came out, but the meter didn't gel with me like I thought it would and stuff like airdashing and wavedashing feeling just a tad worse than they did in 1 bugged me enough to get in the way of my fun. That's to say nothing of how messy the game was at launch to the point that my main did not work until three months in when most of the playerbase had evaporated. Overall, I probably enjoyed NASB1 more even if it's an objectively worse game. I really hope this series has a future, but the layoffs aren't a great sign on that front. Only time will tell, I guess.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Personally I'm optimistic this series as a future, I think that despite not being the succes that some were hoping for, they're probably still among the most succesful Nickelodeon video games aside from the Spongebob platformer. I'm sure the series have a future, but maybe we won't see a sequel as fast as 2 was after 1.

But yeah for this specific game I'm pretty sure that's it, I really don't think we're getting a wave 2 of dlc.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Not to be a downer but I will note that Iroh's animations feels a lot less polished than most of the cast. It kinda feels like their money was running slim. I don't necessarily think it's a doom sentence, but it adds onto the pile of suspicious stuff that seems to imply this is it, so unless GameMill and Nickelodeon come in with some more money, I think it's over ya'll.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I've noticed on the CSS that Iroh is placed infront of Rocksteady. Was Iroh maybe planned to be released before Rocksteady?

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Something about non-Ren & Stimpy duos is that they are replaced from game to game.
In NASB1 it was CatDog, in NASB2 it was the Angry Beavers. If NASB3 adds a new duo, It would be Swifty & Shorty, to fill up the 1960s Paramount Cartoon Studios retro pick.

Last edited:
Something about non-Ren & Stimpy duos is that they are replaced from game to game.
In NASB1 it was CatDog, in NASB2 it was the Angry Beavers. If NASB3 adds a new duo, It would be Swifty & Shorty, to fill up the 1969s Paramount Cartoon Studios retro pick.
I wish they would acknowledge their non-Nick cartoon library in any capacity, but I highly doubt it.

As a matter of fact, Heckle and Jeckle are right there as the next duo replacement. Just saying.

Top Bottom