• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I mean, Nigel Thornberry originally was going to be the main character of the show when it was originally conceived as a more adult oriented cartoon (Nigel Thornberry's Animal World), so it makes sense in that regard too, he's had a lot going for him behind the scenes.
Well that’s new to me. I always thought Donnie was the most popular character of the show

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
No matter how many justifications you can come up with, Nigel was absolutely chosen for the memes and the memes are likely the only reason Thornberrys even has any representation. If Hoodsey or Tito was in all those mashup parodies in 2012 instead of Nigel, they would've almost certainly gotten in instead. I doubt the NASB devs had acess to the adults-only 20th Century Fox Nigel pilot script, considering it was discovered after NASB's release in a dusty garage; it wasn't made for Nick; and doesn't even have a Lost Media Wiki article yet now.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
No matter how many justifications you can come up with, Nigel was absolutely chosen for the memes and the memes are likely the only reason Thornberrys even has any representation. If Hoodsey or Tito was in all those mashup parodies in 2012 instead of Nigel, they would've almost certainly gotten in instead. I doubt the NASB devs had acess to the adults-only 20th Century Fox Nigel pilot script, considering it was discovered after NASB's release in a dusty garage; it wasn't made for Nick; and doesn't even have a Lost Media Wiki article yet now.
They've been giving TWT a lot more love recently, with Eliza being the second post-launch fighter added into Extreme Tennis.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
They've been giving TWT a lot more love recently, with Eliza being the second post-launch fighter added into Extreme Tennis.
That was after NASB though, and if you look on Nick's social media channels you'll see there's a big shift towards mid-2000s content - hell, they recently did a poll about the best TMNT iteration and completely left out the 80s show.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That was after NASB though, and if you look on Nick's social media channels you'll see there's a big shift towards mid-2000s content - hell, they recently did a poll about the best TMNT iteration and completely left out the 80s show.
Although Extreme Tennis is a game oriented towards the 90s era of Nick. The game doesn't even have Aang or Lincoln Loud in it.

amageish

Smash Master
Although Extreme Tennis is a game oriented towards the 90s era of Nick. The game doesn't even have Aang or Lincoln Loud in it.
It does have Danny Phantom and Invader Zim in the base roster to rep the 2000s, but it's interesting how all of the "modern Nick" content in it is just from series that never died (i.e., SpongeBob) or old IPs that have gotten reboots or will soon be getting reboots on Nickelodeon (i.e., TMNT, Rugrats, Garfield)...

I'm also still trying to figure out why they made nostalgia such a big deal in the Apple Arcade game, but maybe I just don't understand the target audience of Apple Arcade? I associate the service primarily with parents trying to placate their children, but maybe this is too harsh....

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
It does have Danny Phantom and Invader Zim in the base roster to rep the 2000s, but it's interesting how all of the "modern Nick" content in it is just from series that never died (i.e., SpongeBob) or old IPs that have gotten reboots or will soon be getting reboots on Nickelodeon (i.e., TMNT, Rugrats, Garfield)...

I'm also still trying to figure out why they made nostalgia such a big deal in the Apple Arcade game, but maybe I just don't understand the target audience of Apple Arcade? I associate the service primarily with parents trying to placate their children, but maybe this is too harsh....
I think they did an interview where they said their goal was to reintroduce these classic characters to a younger audience - which is 100% fair and a good thing for both the future of animation (both preservation and future creators taking cues) and Nick's profits - but the lack of Loud House and Avatar characters is still weird considering the prior is Nick's second biggest animated IP with their demographic right now and the latter is poised for a huge comeback and still has major merchandise released regularly.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

garfields part of the never died category

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It does have Danny Phantom and Invader Zim in the base roster to rep the 2000s
Nick's nostalgia pandering in general can be described as "the 90s but with Danny Phantom and Zim and Avatar and occasionally remembering how big FoP and JN were in the 2000s".

I know that's a mouthful.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Two things to add:

A thought about Rugrats. If they were concerned about having babies being fighters, why not age them up to their All-Grown Up models? At least there would be Rugrats reps besides Reptar

Underrated series, but Rocket Power would make a great surprise DLC or saved for the second/third game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
why not age them up to their All-Grown Up models? At least there would be Rugrats reps besides Reptar
AGU has very good reasons for being one of the many 2000s Nicktoons neglected in nostalgia. And it isn't worries about punching babies anyway, one year old Tommy was in Super Brawl Universe.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
A thought about Rugrats. If they were concerned about having babies being fighters, why not age them up to their All-Grown Up models? At least there would be Rugrats reps besides Reptar
All Grown Up doesn't really have much in common with Rugrats apart from the characters, AGU Tommy and Rugrats Tommy couldn't possibly have even remotely similar movesets.

amageish

Smash Master
garfields part of the never died category
I mean, yeah, Garfield and TMNT are both always getting new content via comics, but there are relatively large gaps between their animated Nickelodeon outings. I wouldn't put them in the same category as SpongeBob.

I think they did an interview where they said their goal was to reintroduce these classic characters to a younger audience - which is 100% fair and a good thing for both the future of animation (both preservation and future creators taking cues) and Nick's profits - but the lack of Loud House and Avatar characters is still weird considering the prior is Nick's second biggest animated IP with their demographic right now and the latter is poised for a huge comeback and still has major merchandise released regularly.
Ahhhhhh, that makes sense. I guess I do generally see a trend of children's media sometimes including stuff the parents of children would be nostalgic for too - helps with the inter-generational bonding, I guess?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, yeah, Garfield and TMNT are both always getting new content via comics, but there are relatively large gaps between their animated Nickelodeon outings. I wouldn't put them in the same category as SpongeBob.
perhaps, but it’s hard to think of any franchise as dead or dormant when it’s been getting new strips daily for nearly 44 years

LimeTH

Smash Lord
All Grown Up doesn't really have much in common with Rugrats apart from the characters, AGU Tommy and Rugrats Tommy couldn't possibly have even remotely similar movesets.
AGU Tommy and Rugrats Tommy were practically different characters altogether.

This sucker peaked as a baby! That's just sad!

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
AGU has very good reasons for being one of the many 2000s Nicktoons neglected in nostalgia. And it isn't worries about punching babies anyway, one year old Tommy was in Super Brawl Universe.
But according to one of the wikis, that game was developed by Playsoft Games, not Ludosity and Fair Play; like was mentioned before, the babies' absence might be because one of the current dev teams took issue with beating up a literal baby.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
But according to one of the wikis, that game was developed by Playsoft Games, not Ludosity and Fair Play; like was mentioned before, the babies' absence might be because one of the current dev teams took issue with beating up a literal baby.
But there's more to Reptar than being the moral substitute, as I've already posted:
I think a lot of people still think it's because it's more ethical to punch a kaiju over a baby, but in reality Reptar is promoted just as much as the babies, if not more. There's IRL Reptar Bars and Reptar Cereal (which unfortunately is not like the commercial), and Tweets with the hashtag #rugrats have a Reptar emoji attached to them.
Do I have to also point out that the first two movies involved a Reptar wagon and Euro-Reptarland?

dlewis53

Smash Lord
But there's more to Reptar than being the moral substitute, as I've already posted:

Do I have to also point out that the first two movies involved a Reptar wagon and Euro-Reptarland?
I guess the wording of the original post confused me, then.

LimeTH

Smash Lord

Or the big hyped up special where the babies make pretend that they're in a Reptar movie?

Or the PS1 game Search for Reptar?

Or the roller coaster Runaway Reptar, that while it's not Reptar themed anymore today, it was literally built from the ground up with the intention of being the Reptar ride?

I know "they didn't want to beat up babies" is a common argument, but Lucy Loud is 8-9 years old and they fought to get her in. The devs have said they pioritize who they think would be cool, and Reptar is cool.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
AGU did at least have a respectable run. It ran for 5 seasons from 2003-2008. It did okay in the ratings.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
AGU did at least have a respectable run. It ran for 5 seasons from 2003-2008. It did okay in the ratings.
I don't think he's trying to say "All Grown Up was unpopular" as much as either "All Grown Up was bad"; "All Grown Up is forgettable"; or "All Grown Up pales compared to its predecessor". Could be wrong though.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't think he's trying to say "All Grown Up was unpopular" as much as either "All Grown Up was bad"; "All Grown Up is forgettable"; or "All Grown Up pales compared to its predecessor". Could be wrong though.
AGU is just a relic of Rugrats' late years, where Nick was really desperate to squeeze every last droplet it could out of the Rugrats cash cow, when it had fresher cows to milk.

The cash cow's udders have been filled up thanks to the power of nostalgia, but said nostalgia revolves around the Rugrats as rugrats, not as tweens.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Hearing Nick wanting to bring shows such as Danny & Zim back for the younger viewers sounds good, considering how Cartoon Network didn't do the same for Kids Next Door and Billy & Mandy.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
AGU is just a relic of Rugrats' late years, where Nick was really desperate to squeeze every last droplet it could out of the Rugrats cash cow, when it had fresher cows to milk.

The cash cow's udders have been filled up thanks to the power of nostalgia, but said nostalgia revolves around the Rugrats as rugrats, not as tweens.
I can see them use the AGU versions instead to avoid media complaints of players being able to beat up babies.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I have no clue why people pin "the blame" on no playable babies on "the media" or "big bad corporate Nickelodeon". If it was for a moral concern, it was 100% on Ludosity/Fair Play alone since Tommy and Angelica are in SBU and they were fine with this epilepsy-inducing Dragon Ball parody where Chuckie gets his ass handed to him

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Correct. Nobody cares about Eliza in comparison to Nigel. Nigel is a big meme and the most remembered character from that show.
Idk man, Donnie was the most remembered over here due to similar name XD

I mean....imagine a Donatello vs Donnie fight

I'd 100% buy the game for that alone

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I have no clue why people pin "the blame" on no playable babies on "the media" or "big bad corporate Nickelodeon". If it was for a moral concern, it was 100% on Ludosity/Fair Play alone since Tommy and Angelica are in SBU.
I believe that it is Ludosity fearing backlash from the mainstream media and the ESRB that is the reason why we don't have the Rugrats in the game in their original baby forms, and why we won't ever get them.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I believe that it is Ludosity fearing backlash from the mainstream media and the ESRB that is the reason why we don't have the Rugrats in the game in their original baby forms, and why we won't ever get them.
I mean, do you think that only the ESRB and mainstream media could be upset at a game letting you beat up babies? I'm all for having the Rugrats in this game, but let's not act like Ludosity couldn't have chosen not to include babies out of their own concerns and not just fear of bad press.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
You wanna ask Ridley how long he waited because of the "he's too big" memes

It's possible we will get the babies due to the iconic status over the AGU.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If we ain't ever getting the babies, we ain't getting the preteens either. Characters aren't included in fighting games just because they're more "acceptable" to beat up than a more iconic one.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You wanna ask Ridley how long he waited because of the "he's too big" memes

It's possible we will get the babies due to the iconic status over the AGU.
Which I don't think will ever happen unless Ludosity is kicked off the game and a different development team who isn't so concerned about players being able to beat up babies takes over.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Which I don't think will ever happen unless Ludosity is kicked off the game and a different development team who isn't so concerned about players being able to beat up babies takes over.
But that's the thing, how do we know it's Ludosity with the problem? How do we know it's a problem at all?

Everyone keeps assuming they picked Reptar out of some moral high ground and not because he's a badass dinosaur that has been a big fan favorite for decades.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
But that's the thing, how do we know it's Ludosity with the problem? How do we know it's a problem at all?

Everyone keeps assuming they picked Reptar out of some moral high ground and not because he's a badass dinosaur that has been a big fan favorite for decades.
We know it's not Nick because they let Tommy and Angelica be playable in the mobile game Super Brawl Universe and had no problems with that.

Top Bottom