• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NFL Thread

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Never heard of the music city miracle I'm assuming?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_zg-J0q42M
Whoops, I retract that statement about the lateral prayer. I seriously can't believe I forgot about the Music City Miracle. I even watched that live on television when it happened. It was the first game of the playoffs on a Saturday afternoon. My Mom is a huge Tennessee fan, and she loved that play. Thanks M@v.

Well, Pittsburgh at Cincinnati will be a great Sunday night game. The Steelers need that game or their done. The Bengals need it to have more comfort room in the AFC North. Both teams have a lot to play for. Steelers will win 27-23.

The Ravens and Lions game at Ford Field will be a desperation game for both teams as well. Whoever wins breaths easier on the playoff push, while the loser is at more of a risk of not making the playoffs. I hope the Lions win, but man they just can't hold onto a 4th Qtr. lead. I'm calling a Ravens win 34-30.

I'm rooting for KC and New England to win in a tight AFC race for a home playoff game. I think the Colts will be locked into the 4th seed unless the Bengals crumble down the stretch. With the Bengals vs. the Ravens in the last week of the season, and the Ravens being streaky, anything can happen. These next 3 weeks are going to be great to watch in the NFL. Lastly, it will be fun to look back on my playoff picks and compare them to what actually happens. I was way off on many of them (Redskins, Texans)

M@v

Subarashii!
Steelers are done already man. And thats coming from the steelers fan.

We needed to beat baltimore to be absolutely sure we'd be in the lead for the 6th seed. After losing to them, Miami/Pittsburgh was basically an elimination game for whoever lost. If we beat miami, we would still be in the running and would just need baltimore to lose once, which i strongly feel they will. I mean we have a faint chance now, but need a loooooooooooot of help.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Well, after 15 weeks of football, I can definitely say Chip Kelly has me sold. Defense is still a load of crap, but did its job during the 5-game win streak, and this offense is one of the best I've seen since Vick's comeback player of the year campaign in 2010. Beating the Bears could either be really easy or really tough depending on how the initial scoreboard goes, but realistically the Eagles should have this division. Regardless, I'd call this a successful season for Chip Kelly, but I really want to see a playoff win as a stepping stone. If the Eagles win out, they'll grab the 3rd seed and will most likely play the 9ers. That'd be a great opponent to really see if this team can put together a game.

M@v

Subarashii!
Well, after 15 weeks of football, I can definitely say Chip Kelly has me sold. Defense is still a load of crap, but did its job during the 5-game win streak, and this offense is one of the best I've seen since Vick's comeback player of the year campaign in 2010. Beating the Bears could either be really easy or really tough depending on how the initial scoreboard goes, but realistically the Eagles should have this division. Regardless, I'd call this a successful season for Chip Kelly, but I really want to see a playoff win as a stepping stone. If the Eagles win out, they'll grab the 3rd seed and will most likely play the 9ers. That'd be a great opponent to really see if this team can put together a game.
If the Panthers beat the saints sunday there's a chance they'll be hosting Drew Brees instead. Never know what will happen; niners will probably win out.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Week 16 is going to be great. Here are my predictions.

Dolphins over Bills 20-17. Miami will pull out a nail bitter and make the playoff race in the AFC more interesting.

Saints over Panthers 31-24. New Orleans will get off to a great start, such as 24-7 and hold onto a nice lead that gets chipped away by Carolina as the game goes on. Carolina will get be upset over the loss but be amazed at the potential for an amazing comeback. The Saints will win the NFC South.

Bengals over Vikings 27-17. The Vikings hang in there, but trail the whole time.

Broncos over Texans 40-27. This game is good for a half then gets ugly fast for Houston.

Jaguars over Titans 17-10. A game with not much for Tennessee to play for. The Jags have been decent of late and want to win out after being the joke of the league.

Colts over Chiefs 23-21. The Colts will trail at the half, but Luck will get a 4th Qtr comeback TD in the closing minutes. The Colts will start to enter the conversation of possibly being one of those hot teams going into the playoffs, while the Chiefs are still considered a team that could be trouble, but just lost a close game to Indy.

Jets over Browns 13-10. This will be an ugly game of pathetic offenses. The Browns tend to find ways to lose, and being on the road doesn't help.

Rams over Bucs 28-13. The Rams pass rush is stellar. The Bucs offense won't have an answer for it. I predict the Rams get at least 1 or 2 TD's on defense. Either a fumble 6 or pick 6. Rams looked great against the Saints last week.

Cowboys over Redskins 20-13. Dallas will once again have a chance to knock on the door of the playoffs going into Week 17. It happens every year. I don't see Washington pulling this off at home. The Redskins have been flat out atrocious.

Giants over Lions 23-17. The Lions are simply going to blow this game. There is now way around it. The Lions just won't get it done and leave their fans in agony. I don't care how many interceptions Eli Manning has thrown. It just won't matter.

Seahawks over Cardinals 25-17. Seattle wants to get homefield locked up ASAP. Arizona will put up a valiant effort, but Seattle is just too good this year as a whole.

Patriots over Ravens 23-17. The Ravens have been winning as of late, but those wins seem to me a little bit out of unusual circumstances. The Ravens vs. Vikings game ended with a crazy amount of points in the final 2 minutes and a last second drive. In Detroit, the Ravens won on a 61 yard FG, and had 6 FG's to win with 0 TD's. I'm not calling Baltimore lucky, but I can't declare their wins convincing. New England lost a tough game on the road against a determined Dolphins team. That game almost went in the Patriots favor, but the Dolphins stopped the Patriot offense at the goal line. Even the loss to Carolina was close, and the Patriots should have got a second chance on the missed Pass Interference. This is the game of the week for me right here. It has a lot to do with seeding and playoff implications in the AFC.

Steelers over Packers 26-21. The Steelers have been coming around. If Antonio Brown had just stayed in bounds against the Dolphins the Steel Curtain would be 7-7. I'm tempted to pick Green Bay, but beating Dallas and Atlanta as of late just isn't convincing enough to me to believe they will win this, but then again, their was doubt about the Packers season being salvaged over the past month, and now they are at home and able to control their destiny, and Flynn has been good for them....Ahh, this game is tough to pick.

Chargers over Raiders 37-16. San Diego will be out flying in this game and ready to go. Oakland will be flat.

Bears over Eagles 27-24 OT. The Bears will win the NFC North with this game. The Packers and Lions lose ahead of this game, so the Bears have a mental determination to just get in the playoffs now by winning at home. Chicago will not want to have to possibly deal with Aaron Rogers at Green Bay in Week 17. Philadelphia has a lot to play for as well and will make this game very good. Lastly, there just has to be a Cowboys vs. Eagles game on Sunday night football in Week 17 with the Cowboys collapsing and the Eagles winning the NFC East lol.

49ers over Falcons 34-23. The 49ers will win this game. The Playoff implications they have is good enough of a determination, let alone their skill as a team, and the Falcons just haven't been good this year.

So, with these predictions I basically assumed that the sixth seed in the AFC will really be up in the air with an 8-7 Ravens team, 8-7 Chargers team, and a 9-6 Dolphins team.

In the NFC the East is the only division up for grabs while the Panthers and 49ers will be playing for who gets the 5th or..............................you know what, it's too damn complicated! Just let the fans kick back on their sofas, get their popcorn ready, and let the players play a game of FOOTBALL!

EDIT #1: I went 11-5 with my predictions. Too bad I didn't have the Falcons scoring 1 more point or else I would have had a perfect prediction for the 49ers/Falcons game. Looking forward to Week 17.

EDIT #2: I hate the network providers in the NW Ohio area. This is the second year in a row that either FOX, NBC, or CBS is in a contract dispute and I can't watch any important football games. Last year I missed out on Min at GB, Sea at Wash, and GB at SF because FOX was in a dispute. Now NBC is in a dispute and I can't watch the Eagles at Cowboys game. Ridiculous since it isn't even cable. Thankfully I was in another county and got to watch the epic Seattle at Atlanta game in the Divisional Round last year.

I'm looking forward to the playoffs none the less, and NBC I think will just have one playoff game at the most, maybe 2 in the wildcard round. Once tonight's game is over, I will make my playoff predictions.

EDIT #3: The following are my 2013 Playoff Predictions.

Wildcard Round
Colts over Chiefs 23-21
Saints over Eagles 30-17
Bengals over Chargers 38-27
49ers over Packers 26-24

Divisional Round
Broncos over Colts 30-24
Patriots over Bengals 33-27
Seahawks over Saints 31-23
49ers over Panthers 27-26

Conference Championships
Patriots over Broncos 40-34 OT
Seahawks over 49ers 27-23

Superbowl
Patriots over Seahawks 31-30

Let the Playoffs Begin!

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
My projected playoff picture:

wildcard:
#3 Bengals over the #6 Chargers . I really wish I could just not pick a team here, as I have almost 0 confidence in either. Cincci still plays like trash in big games, and San Diego shouldnt even be in the playoffs. Referees Chargers team MVP if they make it to the superbowl. As a result, simply taking the home team here.

#5 Chiefs over the #4 Colts. The well rested chiefs go into indy and get revenge for earlier this year. Both teams have relatively little playoff experience so that won't be a huge factor for one particular team.

#3 Eagles over the #6 Saints. As much as I love Sunny Brees, its well known the Saints offense suffers Peyton Manning Syndrome, aka Cold weather does not mix well with them. Even if the Saints overcome the cold, this will still be a toss up, and the biggest shootout of the weekend. Arguably the top 2 NFC offenses going at it.

#5 49ers over the #4 Packers. The 49ers still have the packers number, although this will be a close one. Clay Matthews is out for the packers which is going to hurt them badly. A-Rod needs to have a career game if they are going to pull this upset off.

Divisional Round:

#1 broncos over #5 Chiefs. Round 3. I see a much closer game than most think, but the Broncos eek it out. If any team has a shot to beat the broncos in the AFC, its the chiefs, and I'm 100% serious on that. I utlimately think playoff inexperience will be the chief's undoing.

#2 Patriots over the #3 Bengals. I do not trust Andy Dalton. That simple. The Bengals won earlier in the year, but this is the playoffs.

#1 Seattle over the #5 49ers. Man will this be a fantastic game. Going to a lot of hits and bodybags, but seattle will emerge victorious at home.

#2 Panthers over #3 eagles. This is another really hard to call game. Its going to come down to which QB is clutch. This is cam's first ever playoff game. Will the pressure get to him? Will Nick Foles be able to handle the pressure on the road? It wont surprise me one bit if the Eagles win this one either.

AFC Championship:
#1 Broncos over the #2 Patriots.
Wes waves the special teams guy off in time this time around!

NFC Championship:
#1 Seattle over the #2 or #3.
Seattle OP at home. Will be utterly shocked if they drop a home playoff game.

Superbowl:
#1 Seahawks vs the #1 Broncos.

I'll predict this game if it actually happens, buuuuut thats 2 #1 seeds, so they may be an upset along the way. The only way seattle doesn't make it is if they fall to the 49ers, but thats a long shot. As for the AFC, I see the Chiefs and the Patriots both having a chance to knock off the Broncos. If the Pats and Chiefs face, I'd probably give the nod to NE, but it would be a tough game.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Why do people keep thinking every game with the Eagles is going to be a shootout? Haven't had anything like a shootout since like the Chargers game. Most of the end scores with big numbers come in garbage time/failed comeback attempts.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I went 3-1 last week for Wildcard predictions. Not bad. Here are my Divisional Round Picks

Broncos over Chargers 33-24
Patriots over Colts 36-20
Seahawks over Saints 31-23
49ers over Panthers 27-26

I'm still keeping my pre-postseason picks and scores to matchups I've called correctly. Time for some FOOTBALL!!

M@v

Subarashii!
To be fair.

My super bowl prediction is still alive, despite my wildcard predictions blowing up in my face. My AFC Championship prediction has held true, and it appears my NFC divisional round prediction decided to be the NFC championship instead. That's cool too I guess.

Also, the Eagles home opener curse has been broken!

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I'm 7-1 so far for Playoff predictions. Here are my Conference Championship predictions:

AFC Championship: Patriots over Broncos 40-34 OT
NFC Championship: Seahawks over 49ers 27-23

Conference Championship weekend is my favorite round of the playoffs because of the strong want of all 4 teams to play in the Superbowl and the anguish of falling short from playing in it.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
So it's 1/2 in the AFC and 1/5 in the NFC in terms of seeds, but honestly San Fran felt like the #2 this entire time (despite being #3 in actual standings since they lost to the Panthers in the reg season) so I feel like we've definitely gotten down to the four best teams this season. If Jim Harbaugh can pull out the win in Seattle... Holy cow, I don't think any coach could possibly be any more on the rise. I feel like the 49ers D has some exploitable holes on the back end, but they can patch that even with their low first round draft picks I think. Gonna be a strong team for seasons to come. Though that entire division is a nightmare right now...

Went 4-0 in Div Round picks, but I'm gonna hold off for a couple of days on these Conference games...too tough right now >_<

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Forgot to update, but I was going with a Broncos/49ers Super Bowl for my predictions. Missed most of the games today due to Apex (hopefully NFL Rewind plays them both over the coming week), but it looks like the Broncos are really hitting that stride now. I think they'll need to go back to being an explosive offense rather than this ball-control, drive-finishing offense they've had so far to really beat the Seahawks, but I think they'll be the favorite going into this. The Seahawks D also looks like the first D they'll face that actually has the ability to cover all of those wicked weapons on paper. Should be a good game =D

That said, the 49ers looked like they were gonna pull it out again D: Sucks that Kaep made those crucial mistakes, but he'll come back stronger for it.

I'll be a bit early with my Super Bowl prediction: Broncos take it 26-18.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I'm 8-2 overall with my playoff picks.

The Superbowl is going to be a great game. It's the #1 Offense vs. the #1 Defense. I predict the Broncos will win, but it really could go either way. If the Broncos D can hang in there and keep Seattle's offense in check, Denver should be able to take this, but if Denver's defense struggles and Seattle's D can hang in there, the Broncos will be in trouble. Defense is going to be really big in this game because I predict it is going to come down to Denver's D not blowing it. With that in mind, it would be tempting to pick Seattle for the win, but Peyton Manning has been playing for soo long, has studied defenses for countless hours, and can see things based on defensive setups and therefore dominate in audibles. Seattle has the ability to hang in there, but it will be difficult.

Special Teams is always an X factor as well. Last Superbowl there was a kickoff return by Jacoby Jones. Something like that could just be enough for a victory for either team. Lastly, the cold and wind in New Jersey can be a nuisance. I wonder how that will effect the running game, and Denver's O-line has been stellar as of late. On the flipside Beastmode could bust out a nice run.

I'm calling for a Broncos victory by a score of 24-23. Here is my prediction on how the Super Bowl will go.

Seattle will get a special teams kick off TD early and be up 7-0. Denver then scores on a Manning Td to Demarious Thomas to make it 7-7. That's how the 1st Qtr ends. In the 2nd Qtr Manning throws a spectacular deep throw to Thomas to get in the redzone, and then Knowshon Moreno scores on a TD on a short run. Broncos go up 14-7. Seattle gets the ball and gets a FG to make it 14-10. This will be the score at halftime.

In the 3rd Qtr Manning gets picked off by Earl Thomas , but Seattle converts that only into a FG to make it 14-13. Denver gets a Field goal near the end of the 3rd Qtr to make it 17-13 going into the 4th.

Early in the 4th Qtr Seattle scores a TD on a 36 yard Beastmode run to make it 20-17. Denver goes 4 and out and then Seattle gets another FG to make it 23-17. Manning will orchestrate an 80 yard TD Drive after a touchback on the kickoff. Denver will score on a Manning TD pass to Knowshown Moreno. There is 3:31 left to go in the game. The Broncos D will make the Seahawks turn the ball over on 4th down with 1:02 left to go in Denver territory. Manning knees the ball for the Superbowl victory.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Super Bowl Prediction
This all fails if Sherman is expected to guard Demarious. Dude was shut down by Talib until he got hurt, and it won't be any different against an even BETTER corner.

As a 49ers fan, I REALLY don't want to see Seattle win, but I have to give them the edge.

I see this as a triangle so to speak. On a neutral field, 49ers > Seattle. Denver > 49ers. Seattle > Denver.

Seattle's pass defense is freakishly good and that's what Denver thrives on. Seattle's Run D is no slouch either and if history tells us anything, defense wins championships. Seattle has the best corner in the game and a pretty good second corner. Both will do wonders against Demarious and Decker. Their LB, Cam Chancellor is freakishly athletic too and so, Julius Thomas might struggle as well. Denver's rush attack has been pretty laid back these playoffs and I don't expect that to suddenly change.

Meanwhile, Denver's D is suspect. Not worried so much about Denver's pass D as much as their Rush D. Lynch will wear you down as the game goes down (see 49ers), and I expect Seattle to rack off some long drives courtesy of him.

Much as I hate to say it, but if I'm a betting man, Seattle wins this.

M@v

Subarashii!
I wonder where Jem is :D

Also, as for the superbowl, I'm obliged to take Seattle since they are my 2nd team behind Pittsburgh, but at the same time I want to see Peyton get 2 rings before his career is out D:

If the Seahawks take this though, Russell Wilson will have the best start to a career a QB has had this side of Big Ben's first 2 years. This seahawks' team build reminds me a lot of the 2005 Steelers as well. Fantastic defense, and ball controlling, run oriented offense with a great young talent under center able to extend plays. Its probably why I've liked this Seattle team all year long.

There are 2 key differences between this team and the '05 Steelers though:

A. '05 Steelers were road warriors, these Seahawks are the unstoppable home force, which doesn't factor in at this Superbowl

B. The "Big name everyone wants to see get a ring" is not on their roster. The Steelers had the Bus. In this superbowl, that would be Peyton Manning. Then again, Saints denied him his 2nd in '09.

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
Manning was going to get his 2nd super bowl ring...

...until they accidentially snapped it over his head.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Fun Fact: In Manning's 12 playoff losses, the average amount his opponents have scored is 27. If you take away the outliers/blowouts (Seahawks and Jets from 2002), then the average drops to 22. So basically, Peyton Manning's offenses could not score 23 points in 10 playoff games. Pathetic.

Daedra

vibing
why did i watch the broncos get sh*tted on for 3 and a half hours. still cant believe that returned interception from peyton manning which ended up in a 69 yard td by malcolm smith even though hes a line backer he deffinately deserved mvp for that play. but ill give manning the benefit of the doubt, that man did beat tom brady's record of 34 successful passes in a super bowl. but in the end, the tears being shed from the denver broncos could be felt from all of america.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
See Buffalo? It could be worse...
I still think the Bills losing 4 straight Super Bowls was the worst thing that happened in the league, all because of that last second field goal "went wide right" (funny that 2 of those Super Bowl losses came against my beloved Cowboys, who were pretty much awesome at the time especially the 1st Super Bowl matchup was a very laughable 52-17 blowout), (then again Dallas losing 3 Super Bowls to the Steelers would have been pretty bad (thank god Dallas put them down in Super Bowl XXX).

M@v

Subarashii!
I think it was summed up best a few years ago on the NFL today. One of the analysts was saying the Bills 4 straight super appearences was impressive, and although not a "dynasty" per say, it should be called something. Shannon Sharpe immediately replies "A tragedy?" <3333

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I think it was summed up best a few years ago on the NFL today. One of the analysts was saying the Bills 4 straight super appearences was impressive, and although not a "dynasty" per say, it should be called something. Shannon Sharpe immediately replies "A tragedy?" <3333

It was indeed a tragedy, for the Bills, they have had bad luck since those 4 Super Bowl losses.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I wonder how many players on that Bills squad experienced all 4 Super Bowl losses. That just has to flat out suck. I can't begin to imagine the mental anguish that would take.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I wonder how many players on that Bills squad experienced all 4 Super Bowl losses. That just has to flat out suck. I can't begin to imagine the mental anguish that would take.
I couldn't agree more on that, it could have been much worse, imagined had the Bills faced the 49ers during those 4 straight Super Bowl runs instead of the 1s they did end up facing, (had the 49ers not traded Montana)?

Last edited:
Top Bottom