• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NFL Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well this is news to me, although, I don't pay much attention to the media beyond when the games are in session. Because I don't remember seeing black QBs being more targeted for criticisms than a white QB.

I think maybe you're looking for a problem where none may exist, in all honesty.
The only reason Sanchez is being criticized is because Tebowmania is behind him. That's more of a Tebow factor than a Sanchez sucks factor. I don't recall people wanting Sanchez to be benched last year despite all the drama that unfolded with them.

Tony Romo: Yet to do anything significant for his team, and he has been playing rather poor this year. Yet no calls to bench or scrutinize him despite being the QB for "America's Team".

Aaron Rodgers: Until recently was not playing up to his MVP standards, yet he was given a pass due to various other reasons such as team chemistry or coaching.

Blaine Gabbert: Has this guy done anything remotely good? Why hasn't he been criticized to hell?

Kevin Kolb: Big payaday translating into what so far? You don't hear much news from that end and his lack of production.

Matt Ryan: Another Tony Romo. Only one playoff win under his belt, yet has not received much criticism.

Matt Stafford: How bad has he been this season? Before last year, he was injury prone. He has not been playing up to anywhere near standards this year.

Sam Bradford: Remember that good rookie year he had? Since then, he's sucked due to "offensive line" issues, and no one has given him heck about it.

Ryan Fitzpatrick: Got a contract extension last year. Proceeded to suck afterwards. Still sucks. No one gives him crap.

Matt Cassel: Outside of his injury two weeks ago, the dude has been terrible since coming over from NE. Yet no news about him. In fact, the only reason his injury WAS news, because his teammate called out the fans for "cheering" when Cassel got hurt.

Phillip Rivers: Mentioned him earlier. Wasn't he considered "elite" at one point? You figure an "elite" QB would get **** on for sucking last year and this year.

But for whatever reason. What shows up in the news the most? Which two QBs this year have been criticized the most? Michael Vick and Cam Newton. Understandably so that both QBs have had their flaws and circumstances (turnovers and attitude), but if you're telling me that the rate of criticism these two gets is even CLOSE to equal compared to all those other QBs I've mentioned, then I have nothing else to say.

Also, let's say Michael Vick gets criticized more, because he is on a big market team. Carolina has never been that. Why is Newton in the news so much compared to his White QB counterparts?

It wouldn't surprise me if RG3 has a sophmore slump next year, and people come out of the woods to heavily criticize him, while Andrew Luck avoids most of it.

Michael Vick, Cam Newton, Vince Young,

M@v

Subarashii!
Tony Romo: Most analysts have accepted that the cowboys aren't good though. They really want them to be good because they are "Americas time" (HAH), but yeah.

Aaron Rodgers: Everyone has an off game or two. Rodgers had the first off stretch of his entire career. Also the defense usually get attacked often because they are usually bad.

Blaine Gabbert: Jacksonville news doesn't produce ratings because no one cares about Jacksonville outside of MJD, so no criticism. Now they care a little because MJD is injured.

Kevin Kolb: No Criticism? Where were you last year when the media tore him a new one?

Matt Ryan: Unlike tony romo, he is having an MVP like season this year. He always plays well during the year, and the criticism he gets is for the week or two after they lose in round 1 of the playoffs.

Matt Stafford: Gotta agree with you on this one.

Sam Bradford: He needs a team, and its the truth. The defense has finally come to life, but he still has offense issues. Their only decent receiver, and by decent I mean decent, not good, is still injured. They need to go make a grab at the top or 2nd best receiver in next years draft, or get the biggest WR free agent that isn't an A-hole, which could be hard.

Ryan Fitzpatrick: I remember him getting some flack, but once again not too many bills fans out there, so not a lot of ratings to care about.

Matt Cassel: Same story as Jacksonville and Bills.

Phillip Rivers: Chargers are .500 and Rivers got plenty of **** for his performance against the broncos.

Vick is on a high profile team as you mentioned; that's why hes criticized more.

As for Cam, the reason there's so much attention on him is because he had arguably the best year for a rookie QB stats wise in history. That builds a lot of bandwagon fans. Not all media is attacking just him though; thankfully a lot realize Carolina in general is having issues, especially their secondary, which is probably worse than Arizona's o-line is at blocking. Cam's situation is closest to Bradford's.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Aaron Rodgers: Everyone has an off game or two. Rodgers had the first off stretch of his entire career. Also the defense usually get attacked often because they are usually bad.
His "off games" have stemmed back to the playoff bounce against the Giants last year. Like I said, only until two games ago did he get it going again. It's kinda sad that he was no way been criticized by the media as much as the two black QBs. You know, the guy who was MVP, is arguably the best QB in the NFL, and had his team go 15-1 last year.

Blaine Gabbert: Jacksonville news doesn't produce ratings because no one cares about Jacksonville outside of MJD, so no criticism. Now they care a little because MJD is injured.
I seem to recall more news about Byron Leftwich during his days there. Since then, nothing has come out despite poor QB play.

Kevin Kolb: No Criticism? Where were you last year when the media tore him a new one?
Uh, yeah he wasn't getting much crap. He rarely ever dominated the headlines last year compared to other stories. Anytime you turned on NFL Live, Sports Center, Dan Patrick Show, or First Take, he was hardly being talked about.

Matt Ryan: Unlike tony romo, he is having an MVP like season this year. He always plays well during the year, and the criticism he gets is for the week or two after they lose in round 1 of the playoffs.
So he is the LeBron James of the NFL? Plays good in the regular season, and then sucks it up in the playoffs. Okay, let's see what happens if he blows it again in the playoffs. I wonder how much crap he'll receive then.

Sam Bradford: He needs a team, and its the truth. The defense has finally come to life, but he still has offense issues. Their only decent receiver, and by decent I mean decent, not good, is still injured. They need to go make a grab at the top or 2nd best receiver in next years draft, or get the biggest WR free agent that isn't an A-hole, which could be hard.
Every QB needs a "team". Romo put up great statistics last year, but his defense was crap. On the flip side, during Brady's younger days, he made all those scrub receivers look good. Bradford is not on Brady's level, but I've watched some of his games this year and last, and his throws aren't as accurate people claim them to be. Maybe he has David Carr syndrome (see below).

Phillip Rivers: Chargers are .500 and Rivers got plenty of **** for his performance against the broncos.
The Chargers have been a disappointment for multiple years now, yet he's given a pass. It's not about this year only. Also, he did get **** for his performance against the Broncos, but how long did that last throughout the week compared to any other headlines? Exactly.

As for Cam, the reason there's so much attention on him is because he had arguably the best year for a rookie QB stats wise in history. That builds a lot of bandwagon fans. Not all media is attacking just him though; thankfully a lot realize Carolina in general is having issues, especially their secondary, which is probably worse than Arizona's o-line is at blocking. Cam's situation is closest to Bradford's.
I don't recall after the great rookie year Matt Ryan had, him getting as much crap in his sophmore year. I don't recall Sam Bradford being called out after they nearly on the division in his rookie year. Sanchez as a QB has been average over the years, but people always point out how his "stats" increase every year. Remember when David Carr played for the Texans? What was the biggest gripe about his performance? Oh wait, there was no gripe. It was all about how he was the most sacked QB and couldn't get protection. He's a backup now, and with Schaub there, commentators are quick to say "they finally have a real QB".

Really, the only white QB to ever get heavy criticism was/is Eli Manning. Big market, forced a trade in the draft to the Giants, and has always come off as a guy who "doesn't care".

Jem.

Smash Master
Well, we praise RG3 and how good he is playing. And then if he has a bad game, Jemele Hill Kordell Stewart and Warren Moon will say people are saying he had a bad game because he's black. We praise black QB's who do well too. We praise white QB's who do well. We scold white QB's who do bad. (I mean, Tebow gets ripped in every single day by the media. And that's not racism even if it's from black people)

Jemele Hill has a history of thinking whenever a black person is playing bad people talk about it because they're black, and not just in football. She's pretty annoying.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Tebow got ripped due to Tebowmania. By that, I mean the insanity of Christian fanbase that was behind him from the start. Yes that also includes the criticism of he's not a very good QB, but if you're gonna become a starter in the NFL, because a radical fanbase propels you to that spot, you deserve to be criticized just as much.

White QBs don't get scolded no where near as much as their black counterparts. Remember Peyton Manning before he finally won a superbowl? There was a guy named Donovan McNabb who was getting more crap than him.

Tom Brady has stunk it up these past few years in the playoffs and it's funny how no one but Rob Parker mentions that.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
A white man wrote that article. There some kind of underlying subtext stashed away in there.

M@v

Subarashii!
In other news, the Steelers get to embarass the entire city of Pittsburgh this weekend by wearing what are most likely the worst throwback jerseys in the history of the NFL:

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
tom brady as garbage as he is has made to the post season and the superbowl in the past few years. he is good when it counts.

I think its a subconscious thing that people compared newton to young which it was stephen a smith that did it ironically. Black quarterbacks will always have a chip on their shoulder because they were criticized since their origin in the nfl. that will never change

although cam has semi brought this on himself with the superman stuff and fluff and doing the most silly celebrations WHEN YOU ARE LOSING

tl.dr everyone should shut up and play

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
I never understood what people have against his celebration while down however many points. It's not like he's taking time off the clock or serving as a distraction, if anything his teammates should become more energized and focused from that. Heck, I wish Cam was that enthusiastic while always losing, it might help the Panthers win in crunchtime more often.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Doing a Superman dance when you're down 20+ points in the 3rd to the Giants isn't exactly good charisma. I think you come off as a better leader anyways if you just hand the ball off to the ref, and let your teammates know "We still got work to do".

Jem.

Smash Master
It makes you come off as a greedy player, since he is usually just by himself in the endzone. You dont want the leader of your team looking happy when youre losing. Tom Brady yells the F bomb when he's throwing INTS and losing. If he scores a pity TD, he isnt acting like they just won the Superbowl.

When youre down 20+ and score when you know the game is over, that usually just warrants a high five while trotting to the sideline together, not a "look at me, raaaaah superman!"

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
But he didn't do his usual grin when he did it, it was more like a somber "not dropping my routine, but gotta get back in the game" kind of Superman.

Edit: Just watched it again, and yeah, he didn't even smirk.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
But why do it at all in the first place >_>? It's just a stupid move to do when you're losing by that much of a margin. Any player who celebrates when they are down big is just too dumb to realize what they are actually playing for.

Jem.

Smash Master
I dunno, maybe I'm old school lol. I know Cam is young but to me when youre losing that badly the situation just calls for the "trotting to the sideline highfive"

M@v

Subarashii!
Um.....no. At least the eagles HAVE an offense. Start the 49ers; they get to go up against THE worst o line in the league.

And that's coming from a Steelers fan.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Haha, it's so smart to just pick up the defense going against the Eagles. Even Cleveland did well xD.

With that being said, I have Arizona D, which is a top fantasy D. I am sitting them so I don't have to go two straight weeks cheering both sides.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I don't even like the Pats, but nothing beats Fitzy and the Townie News.

ulises3000

Smash Ace
NNID
Ulises3000
3DS FC
1951-1622-8058
Switch FC
SW-4892-0521-2326
It hurts watching the Cowboys play right now. 4 turnovers in less then 20 minutes. I'm surprised we're not losing by more then 23.

ulises3000

Smash Ace
NNID
Ulises3000
3DS FC
1951-1622-8058
Switch FC
SW-4892-0521-2326
Welp besides the 6 turnovers the Cowboys had, I thought it was still a close game. And for 6 turnovers, the game shouldn't have gone down to the last play. So they probably don't have a chance at the division and have to play alot better to get a wild card spot.
They almost score a TD at the end, just the fingertips of Dez were out. 3 WRs get +100 yards and Witten gets a Cowboys record for catches in a game. Romo also goes to number 2 on Cowboys all time passing leaders. They also held the Giants to only one offensive TD in the entire game. I'm sure some positives can be taken out of this to prevent some mistakes next game.

Jem.

Smash Master
I think the Seahawks try to find new ways to squander games on the road. They can't just lose like a normal team. it always has to come down to the final possession. Tried of the moral victories of "atleast we have never been blown out this year!" x_X I refuse to call the Hawks D elite after the squandering they pulled today.

Jem.

Smash Master
Marshawn Lynch had a pretty mediocre day, actually. Besides the 77 yard touchdown, he was averaging ~2 yards per carry. Our offense didnt really have the ball that long, we scored pretty quickly on most our drives. Except the one we scored on to take the lead late. The Seahawks scored a touchdown drive starting from our own 15 and left 5:46 on the clock.. Who would have thought the Lions would drive all 80 yards and eat up about 5:15 on the clock leaving no realistic chance to score.. booo seahawks D stunk it up today.

Still though.. Giving our defense a 10 point lead for them to lose it, then for our offense to get it back and then watch the Lions go 80 full yards.. The only stats you need to know from the game if you didnt watch it: Lions offense had 415 yards of offense, and converted 12 of 16 third downs. Including a 3rd and 11 45 yard TD that.. the cocky man himself... Richard Sherman got beat on. Wasn't on Megatron but, maybe he should hop off twitter and not ruin games. I'm tired of being like "Well, as well as the Lions offense did converting over 70% of their third downs.. We almost won!" Sick of that as a Seahawks fan.. :p

And that's probably not even the most annoying part.. It's that we've had a chance to win every single game. Drops in AZ, a trip in St Louis, dropped TD in San Fran, and terrible 3rd down defense and we still had a shot.. Watching Seahawk games is like an emotional roller coaster lol. A 10 point lead for us and I started to feel good -- a rookie Seahawk fan mistake even though i'm a veteran.. Every game except the Cowboys game has come down to the final possession. TOO MUCH EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTERS X_X. In the past you pretty much knew what you could mark as a win for the Hawks and a loss. This year its like "Who knows, but its probably coming down to the final possession no matter who we play.." I mean, I guess its better than losing big all the time, but it sure does hurt as a fan losing so many close ones

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Alright, man. I'm done with playing fantasy. This is my first year doing it, but this is butt frustrating. My team isn't bad. Hell, consistently makes at least 100 points. My opponents just get some random 30+ players to close out the win.

I lost this week by one point. What is most frustrating is that this is the third week in a row my team posted the second highest score of the week, only to, by some divine prank, be pitted against the highest scoring team of that week.

:glare:

Alright. Sorry for ruining the thread with that. Now on to some football.

How about them Jets?

I don't know what a WIN feels like.

Jem.

Smash Master
I know your pain. I'm 5-3 in Fantasy now, but I've had the most points against me out of anyone out of the top 6-7. In comparison, the guy in first has had about 200 less points allowed than me. I was a victim of Vincent Jackson's 200 yard game last week and the Texans D getting 20 points lol

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Alright, man. I'm done with playing fantasy. This is my first year doing it, but this is butt frustrating. My team isn't bad. Hell, consistently makes at least 100 points. My opponents just get some random 30+ players to close out the win.

I lost this week by one point. What is most frustrating is that this is the third week in a row my team posted the second highest score of the week, only to, by some divine prank, be pitted against the highest scoring team of that week.

Alright. Sorry for ruining the thread with that. Now on to some football.

How about them Jets?

I don't know what a WIN feels like.
a win? whats a win? i dont know of this win

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
DAAAAAAAAA BEARS!

The victory wasn't pretty, but they got the job done. Big-time players step up & make big-time plays. :cool:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Seems like everytime 49ers play on MNF, they are on a mission to prove something. Great showing of the D. I lost my fantasy game by 1 point, but I'll take that over a Niners loss anyday.

Top Bottom