• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Next UK tournament. (TNJ3 anybody?)

Omadon

Internal Combustion Power
Right, I've heard alot of different thoughts on this, a fair few saying I can't be ****ed to make it that far south. To be fair, I could hold something in bristol, but it would have absolutly no housing whatsoever. I don't intend to run an event if people are going to spit on me because it's a million miles away, so yeah - heres your oppertunity to say no, we'll do one ourselves thanks.

I have housing, I have setups, I have a decent venue with a pub downstairs, I've ****ed up enough in the past to know what I'm doing this time around, and I would love another oppertunity to hold a tournament. This thread is mainly to stop ranting in the CHJ thread and get something productive done.

Anyway. I can't really say any more. For everybody's sake I'd like people to give some kind of general consensus on when the next one should be, for whoevers running one - not necessarily me. And please. Do not reduce this thread to mindless spam.

P.Vanity

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be able to attend one that far down...
And i doubt anyone else from Scotland would either (apart from Z)...so since it's possibly going to be the last melee tourny, maybe holding it somewhere in the middlish would be a better idea (liverpool,newcastle)
Just my thoughts...

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
It'd roughly cost me 60-70 pound to get down. If things stay like that, and this tournament happens, I wont come, the travel cost is far too expensive, plus the travel is frickin' ages. Yeovil is at the other end of the country for me as I'm from Scotland... So sorry but I wouldn't go cause of the price of the tickets down.
£60 is what I spent at GT in total, I'm very reluctant to spend that to get down.
I'd prefer the tournament in a more central to the country location, Newcastle or Liverpool personally. Sorry

BTW, Thats with it ticket at a CHILD as I probably still could pass for a child.

VA

Smash Hero
I can make it, frankly, don't care where it is, as long as there is another tournament.

Omadon

Well, in this case - if someone doesnt set up a tournament in the midlands in the next two weeks, then I'll take over. Til then, argue amongst yourselves :p

Aiko

Smash Champion
I respect the fact that others may want to host, but if people aren't willing to travel to a tournament that is on the other side of the country, then it isn't fair on the hosts. It would be a waste of time and a waste of effort on the hosts.

Myself and AmcD are willing to host another tournament, same venue, same housing, but if anybody else wants to step in, we will gladly step aside. I appreciate that it may be greedy of us to host another tournament since the last one was held by us, but if the majority of people want to come to ours then we are much more likely to get a better turnout. We can set up a thread plus potential dates if thats what people want.

Also, if TNJ3 were to go ahead, I would do my best to go but I cannot guarantee my attendance.

Kone

Smash Master
theres more northern/midlands and scottish players where liverpool is easier and cost effective to get to. Outside these areas there are players from the gmc and london. London players can get to either yeovil or liverpool for similar costs and same travel times. London players are comfortable in that cost is easy for them whereever they go.

For the best turnout liverpool would be a wise choice.

COEY

Smash Lord
I probably would make this if i could get a lift sorted like for both previous TNJ's. Also a low turn out may let me get another 5th place result :p But saying that Liverpool would still probably be my vote sorry Caleb :(

I enjoyed both TNJ's and the fact that the venue is above a pub makes it even more tempting. But if this really will be one of the last if not the last melee tourney then a location where everyone can attend would probably be the better idea.

J03

Smash Master
considering the appauling tunrout from the south, im not really reffering to GMC more london, and the generally high turnout from nothern players, a tourney in the south is just a pish idea i mean you can get as close to london as you want they still wont come. all it will do is make less northern players come. on that basis liverpool gets my vote.

it also gets my vote on how well it was run, i dont doubt that your capable of running a good tourney and 3rd time is lucky. but yakuza held a good tourney first time around so i doubt yours would be run any better then theres.

in my experience you should base a tourney's success on these 7 things

1.how well its run
2.turnout
3.venue
4.housing
5.distance from housing to venue
6.amount of food places in the area
7.previous success

imo liverpool wins on all of these

Mr P

Smash Ace
considering the appauling tunrout from the south, im not really reffering to GMC more london, and the generally high turnout from nothern players, a tourney in the south is just a pish idea i mean you can get as close to london as you want they still wont come. all it will do is make less northern players come. on that basis liverpool gets my vote.

it also gets my vote on how well it was run, i dont doubt that your capable of running a good tourney and 3rd time is lucky. but yakuza held a good tourney first time around so i doubt yours would be run any better then theres.

in my experience you should base a tourney's success on these 7 things

1.how well its run
2.turnout
3.venue
4.housing
5.distance from housing to venue
6.amount of food places in the area
7.previous success

imo liverpool wins on all of these
lol at the 7 made up on the spot criterion, with that said though i completely agree with Jo3. Liverpool it is imo otherwise i wont be going for sure. Why change what's not broken ? With a bigger turnout CHJ 2 could be a great tournie.

Also consider this, if you guys in yeovil were to come to Perth for a tournie you'd have to do something like this: - bus/train into London 1-2 hous either FLY from London to Glasgow or get the bus. The bus would take 12 hours the plane plus waiting time etc prolly 6-7 hours. From prestwick airport you'd be on the train for half an hour till you got to glasgow then its another 2 hours on the bus or train to Perth, not fun at all. I am not kidding in the slightest when i say that it is easier going to a tournament in SWEDEN and to be honest id much rather go there than yeovil :laugh::laugh::laugh:

J03

Smash Master
euan: ive had those criteria in my head for years, i swear :laugh::laugh:

that said i had no idea getting to yeovil was more of an adventure then a journey o_0

ac_anon

Smash Ace
lol at the 7 made up on the spot criterion, with that said though i completely agree with Jo3. Liverpool it is imo otherwise i wont be going for sure. Why change what's not broken ? With a bigger turnout CHJ 2 could be a great tournie.

Also consider this, if you guys in yeovil were to come to Perth for a tournie you'd have to do something like this: - bus/train into London 1-2 hous either FLY from London to Glasgow or get the bus. The bus would take 12 hours the plane plus waiting time etc prolly 6-7 hours. From prestwick airport you'd be on the train for half an hour till you got to glasgow then its another 2 hours on the bus or train to Perth, not fun at all. I am not kidding in the slightest when i say that it is easier going to a tournament in SWEDEN and to be honest id much rather go there than yeovil :laugh::laugh::laugh:
it actually cost me more to get to lancaster than to sweden once, no joke

but yeah even living in edinburgh now getting that far south is a serious pain, yeah you can get planes but im not a good flier and i dont like doing it unless i have to. so i most likely would be unable to attend a tournament in yoevil.

on a petty level a tournament in yoevil would ruin my ranking again and lose me a seeding spot so im also against it for that reason too lol

monty06

Smash Ace
tbh honest i dont care where it is i aint to bothered bout paying out to get to who knows where. i aint missed atourney so far. so i say liverpool so have better turn out and frankly i dont wanna go to a tourney in london again lol

GAwes

Hidden Boss
hey guys, dont have time to sit and post really long shoutouts or anything but i havent really had a chance to post so i thought id at least come in tonight and say that i had a great time at the tourney and enjoyed all of my matches, after the tourney though we were about to tell everyone goodbye but then everyone just sorta walked inside so we jetted lol, but yeah, fun tourney, really well ran, hope there's a sequel with a beast turnout, i'll likely show up again with the usuals, awesome matches with everyone i played, zeppo is a beast and Falcons Eat Beef are unstoppable. peace guys =P

Wes

ps to everyone i met for the first time, nice meeting you =D

Omadon

tbh, all those people saying sorry to me, however hollow said appologies may be, I really don't care weather or not I get to hold something, and I'm not going to be personally offended if you say that I live in the middle of nowhere. That said. Someone else pick a ****ing day then. I am sorting my travel the second it's confirmed, with a mode of transport that doesnt have wants or needs of it's ****ing own.

Mr P

Smash Ace
tbh, all those people saying sorry to me, however hollow said appologies may be, I really don't care weather or not I get to hold something, and I'm not going to be personally offended if you say that I live in the middle of nowhere. That said. Someone else pick a ****ing day then. I am sorting my travel the second it's confirmed, with a mode of transport that doesnt have wants or needs of it's ****ing own.
Liverpool it is then :laugh::laugh::laugh: come on Aiko son lets get moving. chop chop

DevMBC

Smash Ace
I'm not gonna argue for or against anywhere but i'd like to request everyone posts a 'awwww poor jam :(' in the honor of me likely having to travel another 10 hours north and back lol

thank you =D

Top Bottom