• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I don’t actually like the idea of an Ultimate Deluxe that barely adds any new content. That would be pretty pointless, especially if the Switch 2 is backwards compatible. I do think using Ultimate as a base and adding enough new content to keep it in line with a normal new Smash entry would be great though.

I think what Ultimate is lacking right now is an ambitious co-op adventure mode and other fun side modes. At some point, no matter how many characters you add, it gets kind of old when you’re just playing exhibition matches over and over. I think these modes are actually more important than the roster size, although I’m always happy to see as many characters as they can give us.

Another thing they could work on is to try to add some more interaction between the characters, like match up specific intro and victory lines. Part of the fun of crossovers like this is seeing how the characters interact with each other. That interaction is basically nonexistent at the moment, unfortunately.
I hate to admit this, but Ultimate definitely loses a bit of its appeal when the only thing you've got to after 100%'ing the game is VS. Mode. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE for Everyone Is Here to continue to be a thing (I don't EXPECT it, I'd just LIKE for it to be a thing).

Like I've said before, I'm still annoyed that not even Smash Run could have returned. Like, THAT would have increased my replayability of the game about tenfold.

So, let me ask ya all something...

Whoever comes back in the next Smash Bros. as playables, who do you all want to see as starter characters AND who do you want to see be in the game as secret, unlockable characters?
Well, I don't know EXACTLY who should be starter and who should be unlockable specifically, but I sincerely pray Smash Bros. NEVER drops the concept of unlockable characters and stages.

What's more, I do know for sure that lesser-known characters, clones/semi-clones, and a few third-parties should be hidden fighters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Smash Run was designed to have multiple screens on the 3DS. It's not that odd it didn't come over. It wasn't designed with a regular console in mind(same thing with Pac-Maze).

It would've been nice, though. Main one I miss is some kind of Target Test equivalent. Generic is fine with me, especially when it was more randomized in Smash 4 compared to Brawl. It felt really fun that way.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Before the Kencineroar reveal:
After the Kencineroar reveal:
Neither of those images shows the Fighters' numbers. The Fighters' numbers never actually changed.

Regardless of how many total Fighters were in the game. PT was always still 33-35. Inkling was always 64. Dark Samus was always 4e. etc.

So, let's talk about Dragon Quest.

I don't think we need to argue it's merit or the fact that Nintendo wants it in the game.

But do you think the content will be easier to obtain in the future? How likely is Hero to return?
Yes.

I think it will be easier to obtain returning DQ content, DQ music, and additional DQ content from the games represented by the character. Primarily just because the hardest part, the initial negotiation and implementation, is already done.
Also, they guy that was a hardass about the music is dead now.

Maybe the DQ songs will be the good Theatrhythm orchestra versions instead of the crappy midi versions next time.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Neither of those images shows the Fighters' numbers. The Fighters' numbers never actually changed.

Regardless of how many total Fighters were in the game. PT was always still 33-35. Inkling was always 64. Dark Samus was always 4e. etc.
While the fighter's number assignments were consistent, some of the marketing material was ignoring them. Echo Fighters have the same number as their base fighter, and Pokémon Trainer has three numbers; one for each Pokémon you can play as, but in the example, all of the Echo Fighters were being counted toward the total, and Pokémon Trainer was being counted as one fighter.

It's more of an inconsistency in metrics than anything else. Usually Echo Fighters don't count toward the total, but here they do, and usually Pokémon Trainer counts as three, but here he doesn't. My guess is it's because of how the graphic is laid out. Nobody's numbers are there so not counting Echo Fighters would be confusing since they're right there, and Pokémon Trainer is three slots in one, which would break the format, and counting one slot thrice would similarly be weird.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
So, let me ask ya all something...

Whoever comes back in the next Smash Bros. as playables, who do you all want to see as starter characters AND who do you want to see be in the game as secret, unlockable characters?
I wanted to do a unique Roster (Third parties and some returning first partys are dlc):
1718361887282.png

The Red Characters at the end are Unlockables i even thought up character unlock methods:
Also F... I forgor lil Mac
Luigi
- Play 1 Match

Screamtail
- Play 5 Matches

Champion Link
-Play as Toon Link on Great Sky Island and win!
- Event Match: Link Vs Demon King Ganondorf

Mr. Game And watch
- Play 10 Matches
-Play a Game and watch Master Piece

Rob
-play 20 Matches
- Unlock 3 Brawl Music Tracks
-Play Gyromite Masterpiece

Alear
  • Play 30 Matches
  • Fight on a fire emblem Stage with all other Fire EMblem Characters and win

Tom Nook
- Play 40 Matches
-Play as Isabelle on the new horiozons stage against 2 villagers and win

King K.rool
-Beat The King Krusha Boss Fight

Porky
-Beat The Porky Mech Bossfight

Andross
-Beat The Giant Andross Boss fight

Medusa
-Beat The Classic Medusa Bossfight

Captain Syrup
-Beat the Genie

Magolor
- Beat the Traitor Magolor Bossfight

Dj Octavio
- Beat The Octavio Mech Fight

Raven Baek
- Beat Raven Baek

Everyone
- Type in a cheatcode (it gets shown after you unlocked everyone)

Also It doesnt matter where you fight the boss!

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Gonna derail the discussion for Digimon again as I was just made aware this mod WIP exists.

Still a work in progress so a good portion is still Samus stuff, but there's specials, a jab, and dash attack so far. Model made from scratch.
Oh, and basic movement animations.
The dude who made the Goku moveset mod has now started working on Waragreymon, and the mod looks SICK. It's making me want to see Digimon in Smash all the more 😤

Goku as everyone knows is the protagonist of the Dragon Ball series that started as a manga and for that I would say he can't come since the Super Smash Bros series only accepts video game characters. However, a character could come from Digimon and in this particular case Agumon, who is the mascot of the Digimon franchise. Then the Digimon franchise started as a virtual pet which is a subgenre of simulation video games, so yes Agumon could come to the Super Smash Bros series and Waragreymon could serve as his Final Smash.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
As happy as some people would be what would YOUR reaction be to Goku coming to Smash?

Me: Cool!
Also me: wait why him instead of insert character?

(so like, ANYONE! The Witcher, Mickey Mouse, Inuyasha ...)
I’ve never really watched Dragon Ball but I’d be totally fine with Goku in Smash. Partly because that would mean other characters I love from outside gaming origins would have a chance.

Noipoi

Howdy!
As happy as some people would be what would YOUR reaction be to Goku coming to Smash?

Me: Cool!
Also me: wait why him instead of insert character?

(so like, ANYONE! The Witcher, Mickey Mouse, Inuyasha ...)
Goku himself would be cool I suppose, but I wouldn’t really like it. What makes Smash special to me is that it’s a celebration of video games.

Once the doors are open to Darth Vader and Spongebob it loses that appeal for me, no matter how much I may like the character.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My view is that Smash already changed its original intent of being a Nintendo crossover. Once they started inviting more and more third party characters, they changed to being a “celebration of gaming”. I’ve got no issue with that and I similarly have no issue with characters from outside gaming. As long as I like the character and they’re fun to play, I don’t really care where they originated.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
My view is that Smash already changed its original intent of being a Nintendo crossover.
That doesn't mean it needs to change more. Besides, it only changes its intent in DLC, the only time there's been more than two third-party base game newcomers is due to clones being advertised as a feature.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
That doesn't mean it needs to change more. Besides, it only changes its intent in DLC, the only time there's been more than two third-party base game newcomers is due to clones being advertised as a feature.
I agree it doesn’t need to change more. I’m just saying I’m open to the idea. There are plenty of characters originating from games that could keep the series going for a long time. I just don’t put too much stock in the argument that it would tarnish Smash’s identity as a celebration of gaming because that’s just a recent thing from the last two games. I’m happy with either direction they choose to take the series.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t really understand why so many people are so opposed to the idea that they’d drop the series altogether. Plenty of other fighting games have had guest characters from outside gaming. For example, Soul Calibur had Darth Vader, Mortal Kombat had Predator, King of Fighters had WWE wrestlers, and Tekken had Negan. What’s so different about Smash where it would tarnish the spirit of the series but it’s fine for these other games?

The only argument I can think of is that Smash is a crossover fighter and characters from outside gaming wouldn’t fit. The problem is that we’ve had other crossover fighters with guest characters from outside those properties already. Like the TMNT were in Injustice and Pac-Man was in Street Fighter vs Tekken. If people are so concerned with preserving Smash’s original identity, why didn’t you stop playing when Snake was revealed in Brawl? I just don’t get it.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don’t really understand why so many people are so opposed to the idea that they’d drop the series altogether. Plenty of other fighting games have had guest characters from outside gaming. For example, Soul Calibur had Darth Vader, Mortal Kombat had Predator, King of Fighters had WWE wrestlers, and Tekken had Negan. What’s so different about Smash where it would tarnish the spirit of the series but it’s fine for these other games?
They don't have notable fanbases that exclusively want guests and only guests. You're allowed to hope Kano and Sonya are DLC for the next MK1 Kombat Pack, Miguel will be part of Tekken 8's DLC, Mature and Vice will be in KoF16 or the possible next DLC season of KoFXV, etc. without people being concerned about them not being "hype" enough.

Last edited:

Nickthebrick1

Smash Cadet

The only argument I can think of is that Smash is a crossover fighter and characters from outside gaming wouldn’t fit. The problem is that we’ve had other crossover fighters with guest characters from outside those properties already. Like the TMNT were in Injustice and Pac-Man was in Street Fighter vs Tekken. If people are so concerned with preserving Smash’s original identity, why didn’t you stop playing when Snake was revealed in Brawl? I just don’t get it.
Because Smash specifically is a game series that focuses on video-game characters only. Non-video game muddies the water so much is becomes a can of worms.

Laniv

Smash Champion
For many people, it's a door that, once opened, cannot be closed again. If we get Goku, what's stopping them from adding someone like Shrek? Or SpongeBob? Or Homer Simpson? People would see that floodgate opening as a bunch of "less-deserving" characters being talked about and possibly getting in over their Waluigis or their Isaacs or their Crash Bandicoots. It would be seen as jumping the shark. Better to keep that door closed, and keep the game focused on the video game medium.

...At least, that's how I see it.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
That’s fair. I can understand wanting to focus on gaming characters but dropping the series over a few guest characters just seems like an overreaction to me. As far as people only wanting guests instead of what the series is supposed to focus on, that’s already happening with third party gaming characters. The majority of my most wanted characters are from third party games because most of the realistic Nintendo characters I’d want are already in.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I'm a Dragon Ball fan and a Smash Bros. fan. I strongly believe those two franchises should never interact. Smash is and has always been about video games. To extend the scope would make it lost its essence in my eyes.

"Ah but you forget that in the beginning, it was only Nintendo characters, and even Nintendo protagonists. Melee introduced bad guys and Brawl introduced 3rd parties, so extending Smash to manga and anime is exactly the same."

It is not, not at all. Lets say you are watching a series about some guy who moved in another city. In the second, he moved in another state. And in the third one, he goes to another continent. Would you say that the next logical step for the show is to bring him to another planet?

"But Sakurai wanted James Bond, so non video games characters are totally legit."

First, the fact that he thought about it doesn't mean that he would have stick to it. And second, what is or is not inside the creator's mind doesn't affect the final product once it's released. Maybe Sakurai wanted Smash Bros. to be this or that, but in the end, Smash Bros. is what it is, no more no less.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
How did everyone here feel about Hello Kitty in Mario maker and Mercedes-Benz in Mario Kart? Both of those seem like more blatant advertisement and immersion breaking than Goku in Smash but did anyone drop those series because of that?

Either way, I suppose it doesn’t really matter much because I don’t think it’s particularly likely to happen anyways. I’ll just leave it as saying I’m open to the idea and I think it’s totally fine if you aren’t. People like games for their own reasons and that’s cool. I may feel like it’s an overreaction to drop a whole series over a few guest fighters but that’s your choice and if that makes Smash no longer for you, then I can respect that decision.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ll just say it’s probably smart not to make definitive statements like someone can’t get into Smash. Just because Sakurai said he didn’t want to take the series in that direction at the time of his statement doesn’t mean he can’t ever change his mind. I still think it’s pretty unlikely but not totally impossible.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Well for what it's worth, I would still play Smash. I just don't think I'd have that much interest in speculating anymore if the gates were opened up to literally anything and everything... if you think it's difficult to get your favorite niche character recognized now, just wait until they have to compete with Batman, Spiderman, Doraemon, Godzilla, Spongebob and Mickey Mouse for attention. Even if they say with their whole chest that Goku is the one lone exception to the rule, there is no way we haven't gone past the point of no return. If it happened once, people will rally for it to happen again.

Anyway, I do suspect this rule will remain in place as long as Sakurai is the one in charge. Perhaps later on Smash will sell out extend its reach further if the next director or Nintendo themselves see dollar signs potential in crossing over with properties outside of gaming.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
How did everyone here feel about Hello Kitty in Mario maker and Mercedes-Benz in Mario Kart? Both of those seem like more blatant advertisement and immersion breaking than Goku in Smash but did anyone drop those series because of that?
I mean, those examples aren't being touted as crossovers between some of the biggest characters in gaming. There's a difference between a collaboration that just adds a little bit of extra content and implementing a non-gaming character and their entire universe into a series that had a pretty clear cut barrier of entry beforehand.

For the record, I think the Mario Maker stuff was cool and the Mario Kart stuff was... kinda goofy but not exactly out of place considering the large array of advertisements that have been placed in other games, including other Nintendo franchises lol.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well for what it's worth, I would still play Smash. I just don't think I'd have that much interest in speculating anymore if the gates were opened up to literally anything and everything... if you think it's difficult to get your favorite niche character recognized now, just wait until they have to compete with Batman, Spiderman, Doraemon, Godzilla, Spongebob and Mickey Mouse for attention. Even if they say with their whole chest that Goku is the one lone exception to the rule, there is no way we haven't gone past the point of no return. If it happened once, people will rally for it to happen again.

Anyway, I do suspect this rule will remain in place as long as Sakurai is the one in charge. Perhaps later on Smash will sell out extend its reach further if the next director or Nintendo themselves see dollar signs potential in crossing over with properties outside of gaming.
What if your favorite characters don’t originate from games (like for me with the TMNT)? I get what you’re saying though and it does make sense. There is a good argument to keep the limitation of gaming characters for Smash. Like I said, there’s plenty of gaming characters I’d be excited for so I’m fine if Smash doesn’t open the door to outside characters.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
What if your favorite characters don’t originate from games (like for me with the TMNT)? I get what you’re saying though and it does make sense. There is a good argument to keep the limitation of gaming characters for Smash. Like I said, there’s plenty of gaming characters I’d be excited for so I’m fine if Smash doesn’t open the door to outside characters.
Plenty, dare I say most of my favorite characters don't originate from games (Spike Spiegel, George Costanza, Lum Invader, Snoopy...). To be honest, I watch more shows and movies nowadays than I do play video games, easily. I just don't have much interest in seeing them in Smash Bros.

If there was another crossover fighter better suited to those characters, I would gladly be supporting them for that. I suppose that's why Multiversus is pretty exciting, although I haven't been able to give the official launch a real try yet. Like you said though, I have interest in enough video game characters where I'm really not in any rush for Smash to change its approach and accommodate my other interests.

I get why TMNT, or even Goku attract a certain amount of discussion though. These are characters someone may have experienced in a video game before watching any shows or reading any comics. So in someone else's experience, they might be as good as a video game character. I think anyone is free to wish for what they like, but of course the framework of Smash is well established by now under Sakurai's direction, and I just wouldn't count on that changing yet.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Honestly with how much people have suggested Goku as a character, you'd think there would be, y'know... a modern take on a Shonen Jump platform fighter by now.

Like it would literally print money, and hey, maybe it'd put some of that Smash speculation to rest. But I guess it's easier to just go the arena fighter route.

Top Bottom