• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

The SafeKeeper

Smash Cadet
Warning Issued
The last thing I'll say on the matter is that you guys clearly weren't a part of YouTube, FaceBook and Reddit Smash communities when there was a popular rumour that one of the final DLC characters was from Fortnite. People reacted exactly how you think they would, to the point that the Ultimate subreddit with several hundred thousand members went private for a day due to all the toxicity.

But it is possible the disdain for FE will subside if the series experiences major cuts going into the next game, which it might depending on the extent of the character turnover and the size of the roster at the point of that reveal.
Oh, absolutetly. I guarantee Byleth wouldn't have been nearly as controversial if Corrin, Lucina and Chrom hadn't been in Ultimate.

Maybe I just don't hang out in the right places but from what I saw the reception to Steve - and this is before any competitive woes, mind - was largely positive.
It was. Don't know what the other are talking about. The Steve reveal didn't result in 70+ thousand dislikes on the reveal trailer like with Byleth, or cause the Ultimate subreddit with hundreds of thousands of members to go private until the toxicity following a popular false rumour about Fortnite Smash DLC died down.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
God, I really hope they don't ever add Fortnite to Smash. A reveal like that would split the fanbase in two and would be ludicrously toxic on both sides.
I don't see how it would split the fanbase.
There will be some vocal haters, just like every character reveal ever, peraphs a bit more than usual the first month or so, but it will eventually calm down.
There were people who disliked Steve, Terry, Byleth, Pyra/Mythra and even Bayonetta when they were announced as well and the fanbase didn't split.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't see how it would split the fanbase.
There will be some vocal haters, just like every character reveal ever, peraphs a bit more than usual the first month or so, but it will eventually calm down.
There were people who disliked Steve, Terry, Byleth, Pyra/Mythra and even Bayonetta when they were announced as well and the fanbase didn't split.
Another thing to mention; I think the haters The Safekeeper mentions are more vocal to the point that they may seem to drown out the positive people. It does not mean the haters are numerous, though, as you know.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Disagree. Equating the vitriol many have for Fortnite with the most popular video game of all time is laughable. Fortnite couldn't even get a simple update trailer without receiving 33% dislikes on YouTube. A large chunk of people go out of their way to dump on Fortnite for simply being on the Switch. The same can't be said for most video games. I think you really underestimate how popular it is to openly despise Fortnite in online gaming communities.
This is literally nothing new when it comes to very popular and divided games. Call of Duty suffered this, especially during the Wii/PS3/Xbox 360 Era where it would always be used as the prime example of nitty and gritty FPS games. Minecraft suffered this, because it was a popular subject on Youtube and it was fun to hate on Minecraft.
Maximilian Dood even pointed out how when Minecraft was released, it was such a big deal that because of how much people were looking into it on Youtube, many Youtubers played Minecraft because of how many people and children kept looking for Minecraft content and how during that time, he was being pressured into doing Minecraft videos, but he didn't want to.
The amount of attention on Fortnite during the 2017 to 2021 era was practically the equivalent of what Minecraft was during 2009 to 2013. I was witness to the amount of attention both positive and negative Minecraft was getting.
The last thing I'll say on the matter is that you guys clearly weren't a part of YouTube, FaceBook and Reddit Smash communities when there was a popular rumour that one of the final DLC characters was from Fortnite. People reacted exactly how you think they would, to the point that the Ultimate subreddit with several hundred thousand members went private for a day due to all the toxicity.
And people were doing this with Steve and Minecraft. Ugly Steve meme was such an overused meme during Smash Ultimate speculation when Vergeban or whatever the leaker was called mentioned that Minecraft content was coming to Smash Ultimate, during a time when he was right about the characters during Smash Ultimate's pre-release trailers. There being more positivity towards Steve does not hide that there were still a lot of people who absolutely hated Steve, much like how most Fortnite trailers were still overall positive despite the amount of dislikes they got.
I will say it again, if Steve did not break the fanbase in half already, Jonesy will not break it either.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I'm aware of how the fanbase reacted to the idea of Fortnite during the DLC phase. I also don't want Fortnite. It's similar to how they reacted to the idea of Minecraft before Vergeben broached it, where any support outside the daycare of Miiverse was scarce. And that's the point.

Over time the game's stigma will lessen as that fanbase ages up, and genuine support will manifest within the Smash community. While the notion will hardly exist without opposition, at least the concept of it happening will becoming present enough to acclimate people to that potential outcome, further mitigating tantrums born of surprise should it eventually transpire.

But yeah it'll always be a divisive choice.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. Places like GameFAQs are mostly for manchildren, and being harsh does not get one anywhere like this, especially over fictional characters. I swear, some people don't really have any humanity. It's quite sad, really.
I don't understand how there's 30-40 year old men that get THAT upset over a videogame character getting into a videogame character crossover game.
It's completely understable to be disapointed at a character, but throwing temper tantrums or begin toxic to the fans of the game origin of the charcter over it is just something i don't understand.
I personally i would prefer newcomers in smash to be from offline games, but if a live-service, gacha or MMO character like Granblue Fantasy, Fortnite, League of Legends, World of Warcraft or Genshin Impact gets a rep, i would be fine with them even if it's not my preference in newcomers, i would also be happy for the people who wanted them in.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't understand how there's 30-40 year old men that get THAT upset over a videogame character getting into a videogame character crossover game.
It's completely understable to be disapointed at a character, but throwing temper tantrums or begin toxic to the fans of the game origin of the charcter over it is just something i don't understand.
I personally i would prefer newcomers in smash to be from offline games, but if a live-service, gacha or MMO character like Granblue Fantasy, Fortnite, League of Legends, World of Warcraft or Genshin Impact gets a rep, i would be fine with them even if it's not my preference in newcomers, i would also be happy for the people who wanted them in.
Yeah, you'd think those men would have been mature by the time they have reached their age, but no, they are more like crybabies and children. It's quite amazing that this happens, though it could be for a variety of reasons, of course.

I do think League of Legends would be a good franchise to get a rep from, by the way.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Look I'm no Fortnite fanboy, I've never played it actually, but I feel like the hate is overblown. It looks like a fine enough game, is it really just because kids like it?
It has cool TMNT designs and a lot of other crossovers of properties I like so it’s good in my book. I’ve never played it and and I probably never will because online competitive games aren’t really my thing but I’ve got nothing against it. Jonesy’s a little plain looking but as long as he has a fun moveset, you won’t hear any complaints from me.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It has cool TMNT designs and a lot of other crossovers of properties I like so it’s good in my book. I’ve never played it and and I probably never will because online competitive games aren’t really my thing but I’ve got nothing against it. Jonesy’s a little plain looking but as long as he has a fun moveset, you won’t hear any complaints from me.
1712977075408.jpeg
So for that, we are blessed. :p

Actually, the alternate costumes he brings could be pretty fun. A lot of the (non-crossover) skins I've seen are really freaking silly.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Fortnite always struck me as pretty harmless. It's not really my thing, but younger people love it and it's carved out a respectable legacy for itself as a silly crossover title. Speaking as someone saw the major popular trend once be very grim and brown FPS titles, seeing the big popular games with the kids now be colorful and wacky games like Fortnite and/or Roblox has been a pleasant surprise. I'm not going to pretend I'd be mega thrilled if Jonesey got into Smash, but I also trust the team to at least make him solid to play as if nothing else.

Older fans complaining about the releases younger fans are playing is a tale as old as mass market video games themselves and in time Fortnite will the game that people 15-20 years from now will point to as having real soul in comparison to the slop all the kids are enjoying now.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Speaking of skins, I think it would be funny if Steve got skins of other characters on the roster. It wouldn't be that hard either, they already have skins of Banjo & Kazooie, as well as the Mario cast.

I'm sure Steve's return would come with all those new "default" skins that they made for inclusivity, but even just one skin that's literally just Mario would be hilarious.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I don't have a problem getting a Fortnite character. It doesn't interest me, but it's Fortnite; I can't argue its merit. What I don't want is Jonesy, because he's bland as **** - deliberately so, to an extent, given he's basically the stock "main guy".

I'm sure there'd be alts, but goddam Jonesy being the default is underwhelming as hell, given Fortnite actually has some pretty unique skin designs.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't have a problem getting a Fortnite character. It doesn't interest me, but it's Fortnite; I can't argue its merit. What I don't want is Jonesy, because he's bland as **** - deliberately so, to an extent, given he's basically the stock "main guy".

I'm sure there'd be alts, but goddam Jonesy being the default is underwhelming as hell, given Fortnite actually has some pretty unique skin designs.
...You know what? I don't think I've seen a ton of Fortnite adds, but I don't actually remember seeing Jonesy in them. Is he still even the game's mascot?

It would be pretty funny if we did all this Jonsey speculation and the rep is Banana Joe or whatever his name is. lol

dream1ng

Smash Lord
...You know what? I don't think I've seen a ton of Fortnite adds, but I don't actually remember seeing Jonesy in them. Is he still even the game's mascot?

It would be pretty funny if we did all this Jonsey speculation and the rep is Banana Joe or whatever his name is. lol
My knowledge of Fortnite doesn't go too deep, but my understanding is the ads will usually feature whichever skins are new to that season (or at least are recent) or are part of a promotional deal if they're a third-party skin. That said, the "characters", like the Banana, do get new alt skins.

After checking, this was literally the season right before the current one:

So, yup. Still seems pretty prominent.

Also I forgot they added Snake.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Before I figured out why, I always wondered why I saw Fortnite's designs and Jonesy's design as uncanny. Like whenever I looked at the early character models, my main thought about them was that it looked like an uncanny Pixar/Dreamworks-like style, but whenever I tried to compare the characters to Pixar and Dreamworks characters, they didn't exactly compare well and I always kept wondering, "I keep comparing them to Pixar and Dreamworks when they don't actually look that alike, but why does the Fortnite style look uncanny and make me compare it to Pixar and Dreamworks?"

Until I thought about one specific Pixar character and it occurred to me why I thought the Fortnite style, and particularly Jonesy, looked uncanny to Pixar and Dreamworks.

He was likely reminding of Mr. Incredible, but some of his features changed around.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Fortnite has plenty of merit to be in Smash, I’ve just always been in flux about how compelling Fortnite’s original material is to work with. It’s kind of a bland game, fittingly so since it needs to suit so many other universes and characters. I don’t hold it against the game but it makes it hard to visualize what Fortnite x Smash might offer. On paper I don’t have anything against it, it’s proven to be more than just a passing fad, it’s just not super exciting when detached from the silly crossover fare.

I wouldn’t say Fortnite lacks its own identity, because at this point that’s just untrue, but it’s a lot less striking than most of the other third parties in the game. What immediately comes to mind is how well Fortnite would lend to Mii Costumes. Beyond that, if we need a character, I just hope they’d let us play with some of the wackier character skins like Fishstick.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I don't know much about Fortnite, but I do know that I'd be hard pressed to complain about getting a banana with a gun.

Jonesy is whatever, he's... he's there. But a banana with a gun just feels like it better captures what Smash is about, lol.

Plus the banana (alright **** it let me check its actual name) - Peely - seems like one of the more identifiable and prolific characters in the game. So it's not some random pick. I think. I guess. I don't really know.

To each their own, but this just seems so much more fun than some normal ass dude.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Here’s a random thought that doesn’t really affect anything because it’s not getting in either way: Is the Western localization of the NES DragonBall game, Dragon Power eligible for Smash? Obviously, the original Japanese game isn’t due to being a non-gaming property but Dragon Power, specifically, is. I used to own that game as a kid before I ever knew DragonBall existed.

1712982063625.jpeg

1712982138159.png

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Is the Western localization of the NES DragonBall game, Dragon Power eligible for Smash?
I’d say at best it’s an obscure game that never got released in Japan, making it highly unlikely to ever be acknowledged, and at worst it’s an Android 21 situation where it’s redundant to have the conversation since the property is still founded in a fourth party. It’s an interesting thought, but however you cut it I think it’s virtually impossible.

Maybe if it somehow spun off into its own thing over the years it’d be a different story. I mean, Mario was supposed to be Popeye after all.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
A Fortnite character in the next Smash sounds like a no-brainer to me. They're easily n.1 and n.2 crossovers in gaming and they're at the very least compatible in terms of tone. Fortnite has also been popular long enough to escape the fad allegations.

Kids (and grown-ups too, at that point) will go crazy about it, and Sakurai will make sure to also include the Doom guy or some other old glory for us nostalgic gamers.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Do you think they could add in Funky Kong as an Echo or semi-clone for DK?
Yes, that's doable, and it'd be pretty profitable for low effort because Funky is a very popular character. He's probably the most popular DK character not in Smash (though most of that comes from his Mario Kart notoriety). All they need to do is change his idle stance to have him stand upright (still hunched over so the hurtbox wouldn't change much) change his taunts and victory animations, voice, and make his aerial Up B use the surfboard and you're good to go.

Although it'd be pretty awkward to have a voice-accurate Funky while DK and Diddy still make animal noises...

ANYWAYS, a bit of an off topic question but I've been searching and can't seem to find anything. Is there a dedicated fanart thread on these boards?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Although it'd be pretty awkward to have a voice-accurate Funky while DK and Diddy still make animal noises...
Well ideally, the entire remaining DK crew would have voice actors, but the ape noises could work if they stretch the realism with a bit of personification.

Anyway, my changes would be something like:
  • Faster frame data
  • Weaker overall damage
  • Lacks Cargo Throw
  • Giant Punch is replaced with Coconut Gun
  • Spinning Kong is a surfing move, and he has this even if Donkey Kong gets something else.

Top Bottom