• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah, tbh, i think Like a Dragon and Puyo Puyo are more likely.
I think Shinobi and Phantasy Star are about the same level of likeness personally, through.

If Star Ocean has a breakout hit then it could happen eventually, i don't seem them picking Star Ocean over Nier, Bubble Bobble, Chrono or Octopath, right now, so it has an uphill battle, until it becomes feasible.
I think it has about the same chances as Valkyrie Profile, TWEWY or even Lufia...which isn't a lot, saldly.

Eventually (honestly....in like 40 years minimum, and i'm begin generous) they'll have to start picking the nicher IPs, because they'll start to run out of new big franchises to add, both 1st party and 3rd party, by then Star Ocean might be feasible.
Yeah, as much as I enjoy the series, it isn’t at the top of my own most wanted Square-Enix games for Smash either. I’d rather see Chrono or Octopath first but Star Ocean might be right after them. I’m currently playing Triangle Strategy so I’d love to see a character like Frederica Aesfrost make it in but I feel she probably has an even lower chance than a Star Ocean character right now. If the game gets a few sequels then maybe.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Speaking of Xenoblade dialect, do you think they’re going to stick with “sparking” and “snuffing” moving forward or was that just a Xenoblade 3 thing? I always found it kind of amusing when they used those words in place of swearing. It definitely helped make Eunie more entertaining. Almost like the Ninja Turtles’ “what the shell!?”.
perhaps in the XC4 they should use scots slang. although they'd have to up the age rating

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I think there's a non 0% chance that a Granblue Fantasy character could make it. I also think Virtua Fighter might have an okay shot if these reboot rumors really lead to a big resurgence.

I would have also said Hades, but, uh... kinda hard to underrate the chances of something that just recently got a Spirit lmao.
Oh yeah, i could see Granblue Fantasy getting in, even though it might sound a bit weird/strange to think about, Nintendo might be interested in partnership with Cygames because of the mobile market, Re:Link seems like it sold pretty well as well.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think Disgaea has more of a chance than people are giving it. The series has 7 mainline entries plus a few spinoffs and is at least somewhat associated with Nintendo these days. The characters have crazy, over the top animations that would be perfect for a really flashy Smash moveset. Sure, it’s not as popular as many of the best selling series but I think the Nintendo association could help it. I believe some of the games are Nintendo exclusive or at least were limited time exclusives.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
:4shulk::ultshulk:

So, when Shulk was added, Sakurai stated that he wasn't the kind of character they would usually add.

It's hard to imagine that considering Xenoblade's status now, but why do you think Sakurai said that back then?
Because XBC was a niche game that didn't sell all that exceptionally. I think that's pretty much all there is to it.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I think Disgaea has more of a chance than people are giving it. The series has 7 mainline entries plus a few spinoffs and is at least somewhat associated with Nintendo these days. The characters have crazy, over the top animations that would be perfect for a really flashy Smash moveset. Sure, it’s not as popular as many of the best selling series but I think the Nintendo associated could help it. I believe some of the games are Nintendo exclusive or at least were limited time exclusives.
Yeah, i could see Disgaea happening, it's on a similar page with Ys and Rune Factory they're "smaller" series that are overlooked because they're not from publishers like Namco or Square Enix, but they have a dedicated fanbase and enough merits of their own to join.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, i could see Granblue Fantasy getting in, even though it might sound a bit weird/strange to think about, Nintendo might be interested in partnership with Cygames because of the mobile market, Re:Link seems like it sold pretty well as well.
That's a big maybe. Cause Nintendo did team up with Cygames to make Dragalia Lost and supposedly, Cygames had issues with Nintendo being rather uptight regarding Dragalia Lost and felt they could've made more revenue had Nintendo let them, although some say that Nintendo was keeping Cygames from pushing aggressive monetisation onto Dragalia Lost.
As far as I'm aware, there's no major bad blood between them and I doubt Cygames would be against a Granblue character joining Smash Bros, but who knows what their thoughts regarding it would be.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I’ve always considered Musou games to be the spiritual successors to the Beat ‘em Up genre. I’m not sure if that’s way off base but both involve playing co-op to take down hordes of enemies in somewhat mindless but still very fun fashion. You could argue that some of the genre also carried over to action games like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta but they don’t usually have the multiplayer aspect of Musou or Beat ‘em Ups. They’re probably more in line with classics like Ninja Gaiden.
Do you mean like the hack n' slash genre?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If we are talking about modern niche JRPG, then this is the 1000000000th time i talk about Hyperdimension Neptunia.
I bought the first Neptunia game but I couldn’t really get into it for some reason. That’s probably another game like Earthbound that I never gave enough of a chance. I think if a game’s art style and character designs don’t click with me, it’s harder for me to get into. I have heard great things from people that love the series though.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Yeah I suppose. I’m not 100% sure what games fall into hack n’ slash but the name sounds about right.
It's basically beat'em ups with weapons (like swords or some kind of blades). Musou is probably the best example of that.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think Disgaea has more of a chance than people are giving it. The series has 7 mainline entries plus a few spinoffs and is at least somewhat associated with Nintendo these days. The characters have crazy, over the top animations that would be perfect for a really flashy Smash moveset. Sure, it’s not as popular as many of the best selling series but I think the Nintendo association could help it. I believe some of the games are Nintendo exclusive or at least were limited time exclusives.
I think it's possible. Disgaea sits in a bit of an oddball category, it's not totally obscure but it would likely sit amongst the lowest selling third parties on the roster and doesn't quite have the extra element that someone like Bayonetta or Banjo has to push them above. I think the best move is if they want to collaborate with NIS in a meaningful way, and if that were the case then someone like Laharl or even Prinny is a pretty obvious step from there.

It's hard to define the way I think third parties may be judged. I guess chief among this is that if they're selling DLC, the character needs to be a confident investment. Terry was probably the closest thing to breaking this streak throughout Ultimate's DLC, and it had me hungry for more characters within this vein of being slightly offbeat, lesser discussed and even brand new faces to a chunk of the playerbase. So I'd welcome Disgaea all the same, but I'm unconvinced that Nintendo's choices of third parties would reach that deep and IMO doesn't quite feel like a base game pick either. It's worth the conversation but my expectations are not very high. I got worn down a bit putting stock in some other more humble series during DLC speculation like No More Heroes and unfortunately I don't believe that's where Nintendo's eyes are drifting unless it's a special instance like Bayo.

So, when Shulk was added, Sakurai stated that he wasn't the kind of character they would usually add.

It's hard to imagine that considering Xenoblade's status now, but why do you think Sakurai said that back then?
It's a bit of a silly quote in retrospect, but Shulk was pretty lucky. Sakurai decided to hedge his bets on a standalone RPG with a questionable series future that had just barely received an English translation at the time of the project plan, and was probably clocking in somewhere under a million copies sold. As mentioned before, I think the Mother series is the only other that can be said to be as fortunate as Xenoblade and even so Earthbound definitely got a little bit of a bump being developed by HAL. Xenoblade's status within Nintendo's greater priorities or brand was yet to be seen, but I guess the game resonated with and inspired Sakurai to such an extent that its quality and characterization felt like enough validation for a playable character on its own.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It does make me a bit sad that the amount of time and effort put into a game doesn’t necessarily translate into sales. Like Xenoblade games are these huge, grand adventures with fun combat and exploration but they still sell poorly compared to some other games that clearly a lot less were put into.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yes, exactly like Earthbound. You can be glad that both those series are in Smash while acknowledging that they're both niche. I wasn't trying to take a dig at XBC, if that was what you were insinuating.
more pointing out there was already a precedent for niche RPGs in smash at that time which makes me wonder if that what sak was thinking

Louie G.

Smash Hero
more pointing out there was already a precedent for niche RPGs in smash at that time which makes me wonder if that what sak was thinking
In fairness, Sakurai didn't say Shulk was the only instance of that kind of character, just that they didn't usually add them. Smash 64 was 15 years prior and from Ness up until Shulk I'd say we didn't really experience something like that again. You could argue Fire Emblem, but that feels like another situation entirely where it was a series that had already formed a reputation over the course of a decade and was simply locked overseas.

So from that perspective, Shulk is still not a kind of character they usually add. Contemporaries like Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, and Punch-Out had seen several releases up to their point of entry that had already demonstrated fairly successful.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
If we are talking about modern niche JRPG, then this is the 1000000000th time i talk about Hyperdimension Neptunia.
I'd love to look into any series about the console wars.

Unfortunately, for this series, I'm not an RPG fan. However, I wouldn't mind if Blanc was a rep since she represents Nintendo.

I know some people might think Neptune but it would seem so awkward since she represents a cancelled SEGA console.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman

I always took it that he's anime as ****. Laser swords, giant robots, future sight, metal soundtrack, all that kind of stuff.
Fire Emblem is (or at least, was at the time) more grounded.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I think it's possible. Disgaea sits in a bit of an oddball category, it's not totally obscure but it would likely sit amongst the lowest selling third parties on the roster and doesn't quite have the extra element that someone like Bayonetta or Banjo has to push them above. I think the best move is if they want to collaborate with NIS in a meaningful way, and if that were the case then someone like Laharl or even Prinny is a pretty obvious step from there.

It's hard to define the way I think third parties may be judged. I guess chief among this is that if they're selling DLC, the character needs to be a confident investment. Terry was probably the closest thing to breaking this streak throughout Ultimate's DLC, and it had me hungry for more characters within this vein of being slightly offbeat, lesser discussed and even brand new faces to a chunk of the playerbase. So I'd welcome Disgaea all the same, but I'm unconvinced that Nintendo's choices of third parties would reach that deep and IMO doesn't quite feel like a base game pick either. It's worth the conversation but my expectations are not very high. I got worn down a bit putting stock in some other more humble series during DLC speculation like No More Heroes and unfortunately I don't believe that's where Nintendo's eyes are drifting unless it's a special instance like Bayo.

It's a bit of a silly quote in retrospect, but Shulk was pretty lucky. Sakurai decided to hedge his bets on a standalone RPG with a questionable series future that had just barely received an English translation at the time of the project plan, and was probably clocking in somewhere under a million copies sold. As mentioned before, I think the Mother series is the only other that can be said to be as fortunate as Xenoblade and even so Earthbound definitely got a little bit of a bump being developed by HAL. Xenoblade's status within Nintendo's greater priorities or brand was yet to be seen, but I guess the game resonated with and inspired Sakurai to such an extent that its quality and characterization felt like enough validation for a playable character on its own.
I think most DLC third party characters from Smash 6's Fighter Passes will be from bigger series like for example: Tales, Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil, Nier, Rayman, Ninja Gaiden Like a Dragon, Puyo Puyo, Borderlands....etc, but i could see them giving a more "niche" 3rd party propiety like Ys, Rune Factory, Disgaea, Atelier, Katamari, No More Heroes or even a big indie like Undertale a chance once in awhile, it's just not something i'd expect to happen very often, but i don't think it's as impossible as people claim.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I still think Reimu is a legitimate possibility. Far from a lock, or even all that likely, but not as out-there as it used to feel. I'll admit to being biased though, since she's a character I'd like to see very much.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I still think Reimu is a legitimate possibility. Far from a lock, or even all that likely, but not as out-there as it used to feel. I'll admit to being biased though, since she's a character I'd like to see very much.
Reimu is a really interesting character to discuss about.
She's really popular in japan, but relatively unknown for the average western nintendo player.
Her indie status plus her relatively nicheness in the west, but her begin the face of indies over there makes uncertain what her actual chances are.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Reimu is a really interesting character to discuss about.
She's really popular in japan, but relatively unknown for the average western nintendo player.
Her indie status plus her relatively nicheness in the west, but her begin the face of indies over there makes uncertain what her actual chances are.
Maybe it's just where I hang out but I see western Touhou fans - besides myself - everywhere I look online, honestly. Even if I'm just scrolling through some random place and browsing and whatnot. They're bloody inescapable.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
is Among Us still relevant enough to get some form of content next Smash (like a trophy or something) or nah
A Mii Costume doesn't sound too out of place. You could have the Crewmate be a Brawler and the Imposter as a Swordfighter using the knife from killing another Crewmate. Heck, because of the Mii Gunner being modified to be more a one-handed gunner, allowing more simple firearms to be used for costumes like with Fallout Boy and Doom Guy, you could have a Crewmate costume where they use the gun from killing another Crewmate as well.
So you could have a Crewmate costume for all 3 Mii Fighters and give them the Bomberman treatment of choosing a color and the Crewmate costume being that color.

That said, if we get a Crewmate Mii Costume, we better also get a Fall Guy Mii costume.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I like Touhou and acknowledge its strength in Japan, but what always prevents me from taking that any further in Smash discussion is that Nintendo has virtually no stake in Touhou.

This isn’t like Cloud, Joker, Master Chief where their parent companies are strong partners… since Touhou is indie, that brand independently needs to be of value to Nintendo and to date no Touhou game has appeared in a Nintendo Direct or been heavily promoted via socials, etc. “Touhou is big in Japan” is where this pretty much begins and ends, which is enough to at least have the conversation but not enough on paper to convince me.

There’s also the very irregular way that Touhou relies on its fans, where up until recently translations were handled by the community and most of the Touhou games available on Nintendo consoles are unofficial-turned-official spinoffs. It’s an unorthodox, underground and “grassroots” series and it may be hard to point unfamiliar, overseas fans toward where to play it and how. Because certainly Nintendo of all companies isn’t going to ask you to download fan translations. Compared to like, Terry where they could just point people toward the eShop or Banjo where they didn’t hesitate to just say buy it on Xbox. Touhou is unfamiliar waters.

IMO, there’s just too much confusing baggage here and not enough value for Nintendo. Which is a shame, but it’s why I don’t think Touhou stands much of a chance. And there are other “big in Japan” series of similar phenomenon like Puyo Puyo or maybe Power Pros that have a bit more leverage, if they want to play further to that audience.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
is Among Us still relevant enough to get some form of content next Smash (like a trophy or something) or nah
I think if it's just a spirits or assist trophies, relevancy doesn't matter that much. I think it could get representation considering the game popularity. Last I check the game was still fairly popular, it's obviously far from where the game was in 2020 but I'd argue it's much more popular than other indie games I often see mentionned in this thread such as Pizza tower or Cave story.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I’ve always considered Musou games to be the spiritual successors to the Beat ‘em Up genre. I’m not sure if that’s way off base but both involve playing co-op to take down hordes of enemies in somewhat mindless but still very fun fashion.
I consider CAGs like God of War or Devil May Cry to be the successors to the Beat-em-up genre. The linear level structure as opposed to the open battlefield nature of Musou games makes them a closer fit.

In particular. The Yakuza games are basically just 3D River City Ransom games. Complete with a grown-up Japanese delinquent protagonist.

I still think Reimu is a legitimate possibility. Far from a lock, or even all that likely, but not as out-there as it used to feel.
As an indie character, I think she's more likely to show up as a Mii Costume. Ideally one that comes with a song track.

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
She'll bring a lot of music not only from the games and Smash remixes, but also from the Doujin circles.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
She'll bring a lot of music not only from the games and Smash remixes, but also from the Doujin circles.
While I like the sound of that that sounds like copyright hell. The latter bit, that is. More because of vagueness and uncertainty of rights than stinginess, mind.

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Xenoblade dialect, do you think they’re going to stick with “sparking” and “snuffing” moving forward or was that just a Xenoblade 3 thing? I always found it kind of amusing when they used those words in place of swearing. It definitely helped make Eunie more entertaining. Almost like the Ninja Turtles’ “what the shell!?”.
That was just an XC3 thing. It made sense in universe to use ‘spark’ or ‘snuff’, but I don’t see it sticking for future entries.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I like Touhou and acknowledge its strength in Japan, but what always prevents me from taking that any further in Smash discussion is that Nintendo has virtually no stake in Touhou.

This isn’t like Cloud, Joker, Master Chief where their parent companies are strong partners… since Touhou is indie, that brand independently needs to be of value to Nintendo and to date no Touhou game has appeared in a Nintendo Direct or been heavily promoted via socials, etc. “Touhou is big in Japan” is where this pretty much begins and ends, which is enough to at least have the conversation but not enough on paper to convince me.

There’s also the very irregular way that Touhou relies on its fans, where up until recently translations were handled by the community and most of the Touhou games available on Nintendo consoles are unofficial-turned-official spinoffs. It’s an unorthodox, underground and “grassroots” series and it may be hard to point unfamiliar, overseas fans toward where to play it and how. Because certainly Nintendo of all companies isn’t going to ask you to download fan translations. Compared to like, Terry where they could just point people toward the eShop or Banjo where they didn’t hesitate to just say buy it on Xbox. Touhou is unfamiliar waters.

IMO, there’s just too much confusing baggage here and not enough value for Nintendo. Which is a shame, but it’s why I don’t think Touhou stands much of a chance. And there are other “big in Japan” series of similar phenomenon like Puyo Puyo or maybe Power Pros that have a bit more leverage, if they want to play further to that audience.
There's also Undertale that's popular in Japan, is likely Nintendo might be more interested in the Undertale brand than the Touhou brand to sell DLC and has the official game on the Switch, in terms of Indie reps.
However, I do think she still has a chance, they could tell people to import the official games or simply just play some of the spin-offs in the eshop, i don't think them begin fan-made maters if the creators considers them official spin-offs, if anythning they could use that information as a trivia.
Just like any 3rd party character, their true hurdle is competing aganist the other hundred of 3rd party characters they could add.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
This is just very wrong numerically and looking at the fanbase , it’s more liked than it is t even if I don’t love it much.

it’s mostly outside of the fanbase where the hate for it comes from.

don’t mess with us hardcore Mario kart fans there’s like 3000 of us.
I'm a hardcore Mario Kart fan what are you talking about

When people think "mainline Mario Kart" they don't think of Tour and that's a fact. I never even said I don't like Tour.

RE: Among Us in Smash

I wouldn't mind it but the trend came and went with no meaningful impact.

Maybe a trophy if trophies come back.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
RE: Among Us in Smash

I wouldn't mind it but the trend came and went with no meaningful impact.

Maybe a trophy if trophies come back.
I don't even like the game, but no meaningful impact? The game had many crossover including big game like Halo and Ratchet & Clank, it was easily one of the biggest internet meme of the 2020s, and there's even an animated show coming. The game also spawned a few clones like Fortnite impostors mode or Goose goose duck.

Top Bottom