• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
It’s not the most exciting concept, but I do like that in a way “Sportsmate” could in a way represent the NES sports series.

To be fair, she wears a power suit. So who knows how much of her acrobatics is actually the suit and how much is her own muscles.
She was trained most her life and infused with DNA to help her become a powerful warrior, I don’t need her to be ripped, I just wish she wasn’t so skinny.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The Mii customization doesn't do much for me because most of their' moves are either terribly generic or just downright wonky. The Swordfighter probably has the most original moves out of all of them, but even they take more than a few moves from some of the other sword-wielders.

I honestly would've preferred their initial inclusion more if their moveset took more from the Sports series and the other games the Miis star in, but then again, Mii Gunner existing is probably partly why we were able to get a Sans costume (plus the Gaster Blaster arm cannon and the inclusion and composition of a remix of friggin' MEGALOVNIA) so I can't complain too much.

Ivander

Smash Legend
To be fair, she wears a power suit. So who knows how much of her acrobatics is actually the suit and how much is her own muscles.
Some of her acrobatics are likely from her own training and muscles, considering how she was trained by the Chozo since childhood before she got her Power suit and there are images of her in training, including one in Fusion where she's swinging from a rope across a canyon. That's not even counting the Chozo DNA in her.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Some of her acrobatics are likely from her own training and muscles, considering how she was trained by the Chozo since childhood before she got her Power suit and there are images of her in training, including one in Fusion where she's swinging from a rope across a canyon. That's not even counting the Chozo DNA in her.
If I may add, that power suit does look heavy, but if I recall; Samus did all her training on a planet that has over 900 times that of Earth's gravity. With that, that should be enough for her to move in a heavy suit like the Power Suit. So, I think that adds more to her using her muscles for acrobatics, even inside the Power Suit.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
The BAFTA top 20 most iconic video game characters list that everyone share for how bad it is got me thinking: Who do you all think is the most iconic video game characters not yet in Smash? Forget how likely they are to get in and stuff, just on top of your head who would it be? I would probably say Lara Croft personally but I'm curious to hear others thoughts.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The BAFTA top 20 most iconic video game characters list that everyone share for how bad it is got me thinking: Who do you all think is the most iconic video game characters not yet in Smash? Forget how likely they are to get in and stuff, just on top of your head who would it be? I would probably say Lara Croft personally but I'm curious to hear others thoughts.
well pardon me for being a broken record but toad

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, despite me being such a fan, I would not say Sonic for track record reasons.

Would Mario count?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Arthur Morgan ranked as more iconic than Pikachu
IMG_8474.gif

I know Red Dead 2 is an amazing game, but bruh…

And two Baldurs Gate 3 characters? Cmon.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
As far as represented series, Eggman and Chun-Li by a landslide. There are probably more iconic series not represented at all but I don’t feel like listing any off the top of my head.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
No offense, but having TWO Baldur's Gate characters but no Capcom, boils my blood.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I'd probably say Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Eggman, Chun-Li, Crash Bandicoot, Phoenix Wright, Rayman, Master Chief, Dante, Ryu Hayabusa, Monster Hunter, Lara Croft, Doom Slayer (Doomguy)...

Shall I go on?

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
jonesy and master chief

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Have anyone else been playing someone outside their region like US vs MEX for example and you get the Spanish victory speech instead of English? It's never happened before just now and I'm like uh...

meanwhile MC bc someone else said it too

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I know it was a while ago, but when we were talking about Pokémon I started making a moveset for Ditto, and I just finished it. I put a lot of time collecting pictures and putting this together, so I’d appreciate it if you checked it out.
I understand that a character that transforms into a different character for every attack in a game like Smash might look sloppy and would realistically take a lot of time and resources, so it’s unlikely to ever happen in this way, but the concept is too fun for me to pass up. I prevented having Ditto transform into Pokémon that are way bigger then it with the exception of the Final Smash, going from Kirby size to Bowser size in an instant might be too janky/jarring, even for this concept. Speaking of I’ve sized up Ditto to be close to Kirby’s size, maybe a little bit taller. I made sure to include Pokémon of each type and generation in this moveset.

When an animation ends revert back to Ditto

Jab: Kubfu: Close Combat: The user attacks with a flurry of punches, ending with a kick

IMG_6357.jpeg

Forward Tilt Crogunk: Poison Jab: The user stabs forward with a arm steeped in poison, may cause a foe to continue taking

IMG_6355.jpeg

Up Tilt: Metal Claw: Pawniard: The user attacks by slashing upward with a sharp metal claw

IMG_6402.jpeg

Down Tilt: Bellossom: Grass Knot: Causes grass to come out of the ground in the shape of a knot, high chance of causing your foe to trip (forgive the crude grass knot drawing)

IMG_6432.jpeg

Forward Smash: Tinkaton: Gigaton Hammer: The user swings its whole body around to attack with its huge hammer

IMG_6423.jpeg

Up Smash: Lycanrock (Midnight): Stonedge: The user punches the ground causing sharpened stones to jut out from below

IMG_6416.jpeg

Down Smash: Golem: Smack Down: The user jumps up, curls into a ball and slams down, causes the ground around it to shake causing near by grounded foes it missed to be launched slightly upwards

IMG_6439.jpeg

Dash Attack: Cranidos: Zen Headbutt: The user focuses its willpower to its head and rams the foe

IMG_6442.jpeg

Neutral Air: Koffing: Poison Gas: A cloud of poison gas is sprayed around the users body

IMG_6391.jpeg

Forward Air: Beedrill: Twin Needle: Jabs forward twice using its stinger

IMG_6414.jpeg

Back Air: Mawile: Crunch: The user crunches up behind them with sharp teeth

IMG_6384.jpeg

Up Air: Chandelure: The user ignites the flames on its head and arms upwards

IMG_6424.jpeg

Down Air: Weavile: Icicle Crash: The user forms an icicle below it’s feet before kicking it downward

IMG_6412.png

Get Up Attack: Staryu: Rapid Spin: Spins the body at high speed

Ledge Grab/Attack: After hanging onto the ledge with its tail the user jumps back up on the platform and slams it down

IMG_6436.gif

Grab/Throws: Throh: Each throw is based on real life judo throws (I considered having Ditto transform into a different Pokémon for each throw, but I can’t imagine them transforming mid grab would look good)

IMG_6356.gif

Neutral Special: Porygon Z: Tri Attack: The user strikes with a simultaneous three-beam attack formed together in a triangular field, this may also burn, freeze, or paralyze the target

IMG_6417.jpeg

Side Special: Alolan Marowak: Bonemerang: The user throws the bone it holds, the bone loops around to damage the target, hold the attack to power it up, when fully charged the bone is engulfed in fire/shadowy aura.

IMG_6446.gif

Up Special: Hawlucha: Flying Press: The user leaps high then dives down
IMG_6409.jpeg

Down Special: Drilbur: Dig: The user puts both claws together and rotates down to burrow into the ground, while underground the user can move side to side, press the attack/special button to launch upward with both claws together, the longer you stay underground the longer the end lag of the attack, after 3 seconds you are forced out, using it on a soft platform will cause the user to pass through it

IMG_6429.jpeg

Final Smash: Mega Rayquaza: Dragon Ascent: After soaring upward, the user attacks its target by dropping out of the sky at high speeds

IMG_6451.jpeg

Additional Transformations

Walk: Toedscool walks on its tentacles

Run: Litleo runs on all fours

Jump: Spoink springs upward

Double Jump: Staravia flaps itwings

Crouch/Crawl: Caterpie lays down and can slowly crawl

Spot Dodge/Roll: Ghastly becomes transparent and floats out the way

Shield: Shuckle hides in its shell

Wall Cling: Goomy sticks to the wall

Some of these additional transformations are probably unnecessary and excessive, but they were fun to come up with.

Well there are definitely plenty of iconic Pokémon, like Ditto. :p

If not a Pokémon the correct answer is probably Toad, they may not be as influential or important to gaming as Lara Croft or Master Chief, but I do think they are more recognized around the world.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
In no order; Space Invader, Lara Croft, Master Chief

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Ryu Hayabusa, Joe Musashi, Alis Landale (she's an icon to me), Kunio and Riki, Billy and Jimmy Lee, Chun-Li, Doom Slayer, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft, Dante,

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Genshin from the hit game Genshin Impact
Edit: Forgot to add Candy Crush, Plants vs Zombies, Angry Birds, League of Legends, World of Warcraft, and Tetris

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
If Bendy ever comes as a newcomer to the Super Smash Bros. series, what alternate costumes could he have? Although I think I know the answer.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If Bendy ever comes as a newcomer to the Super Smash Bros. series, what alternate costumes could he have? Although I think I know the answer.
You might be the only one here who does. :troll:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as iconic characters not in Smash, Master Chief has to be up there. As the mascot if one of the big three hardware, even with the lack of presence in Japan, he's one of those figures even non-video game characters at least know of.

Granted, some of those people would recognize him with something along the lines of "I think Halo is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything" but he's a significant character just for becoming so big when gaming itself was expanding so quickly in the 6th/7th generations.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Ryu Hayabusa, Joe Musashi, Alis Landale (she's an icon to me), Kunio and Riki, Billy and Jimmy Lee, Chun-Li, Doom Slayer, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft, Dante,
I'm curious if you think you're being objective or if you're just not even trying to be.

Talking about some Jimmy Lee, Riki and Joe Musashi while Master Chief, Kratos, Nathan Drake, Gordon Freeman, Ezio, Tails/Knuckles, etc just big chilling I guess.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I'm curious if you think you're being objective or if you're just not even trying to be.

Talking about some Jimmy Lee, Riki and Joe Musashi while Master Chief, Kratos, Nathan Drake, Gordon Freeman, Ezio, Tails/Knuckles, etc just big chilling I guess.
But...you didn't mention some of those names either.

And there's no reason to take issue with the three I just mention. I mean, seriously, THREE (which, by the way, are iconic)? And that made you question me?

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Determining iconic characters is tricky anyway because it's so often related to personal experiences and it takes generally major popularity/influence for people to even somewhat agree with such choices.

The PC/Console divide alone produced very different significant games that very often didn't cross pollinate until later. The Avatar from the Ultima series was a big character to countless computer players that grew up playing such games and could even cite how that franchise was so formative in the creation of other RPG IP's down the line. The average console gamer from the same time period might have heard of it but would have little familiarity with why the character or the series was such a big deal.

Certain Smash/Nintendo fans have gotten grief for citing Banjo as a more known figure than a Terry Bogard or Hayabusa, however that kind of fandom myopia can be remarkably common, especially when console exclusives and the PC/console merge became more common. I mean Sega fans have disputes within their own fandom about which characters from contrasting regions and generations are the most iconic and that's just one company. If that sort of disagreement can occur with series under the same umbrella, it's no surprise that broader gaming has issues coming to any sort of consensus.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
But...you didn't mention some of those names either.
If someone asks who you think the most iconic Nintendo character is, listing Mario and Pikachu doesn't mean you have to include Kirby for him to still be implicitly higher than Balloon Fighter.

I didn't include every character I think higher than the likes of Joe Musashi, I listed the three I believe to be most iconic. As per the question.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The Mii customization doesn't do much for me because most of their' moves are either terribly generic or just downright wonky. The Swordfighter probably has the most original moves out of all of them, but even they take more than a few moves from some of the other sword-wielders.
Mii Brawler has one of my favorite movesets in the game. I set all it's Specials to the ones that cause a rapid fire barrage of hits cause I love the hell out of landing those.

Dress him up as Rude from FF7 and I am good to go.

That's not even counting the Chozo DNA in her.
Considering they're bird people, would that make her more muscular, or less? :p

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
If someone asks who you think the most iconic Nintendo character is, listing Mario and Pikachu doesn't mean you have to include Kirby for him to still be implicitly higher than Balloon Fighter.

I didn't include every character I think higher than the likes of Joe Musashi, I listed the three I believe to be most iconic. As per the question.
Yeah dude you ranked Jimmy Lee higher than Master Chief.
Oh...so you're salty that I didn't mention Master Chief, huh?

You know, I wasn't the only one that didn't mention Master Chief. It's a shame that that's getting you riled up.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Who do you all think is the most iconic video game characters not yet in Smash?
All the guys I usually ask for. Plus a bunch of western characters that I don't usually think about.

So, like, Hayabusa, Rizer, Arthur, Kunio, Jill Valentine, Kiryu, etc.

But then the likes of Lara Croft, Master Chief, Doom Slayer, Diablo, Kerrigan, Crash, Sub-Zero, Gordon Freeman, Ezio, etc.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Not to give the “no you” routine, but if this is your immediate reaction to this criticism I’m more inclined to believe you left him off out of spite.
"Add Master Chief to your list of iconic characters or I'll get mad".

You know that's not the best way to come off to somebody over a darn video game character list, right? It's very immature.

Besides, the question was also "off the top of your head". I don't think about Master Chief all the time and he's been brought up so many times in other posts anyway.

This is almost controlling at this point.

Last edited:

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice
I know i'm in a pretty small minority, and the devs (at least for Ultimate) also disagree, but I'd much prefer the next smash game to focus on including characters from series already represented in Smash than doing the whole "biggest crossover in gaming ever" thing again.

There's a lot of untapped potential in Ultimate's roster when you consider just how many series are already included. My favorite Ult DLC character was easily Sephiroth because FF7 actually feels well represented as a PART of smash brothers with what he brought to the game. Like, I'd way prefer Alucard, Chun Li, Zero, or Tails/Knuckles over Master Chief or Crash Bandicoot as 3rd party reps.

I would be fine with a couple new 3rd party series being represented, just not nearly half of the newcomers the way it was for Ultimate. Not because I don't want more IPs in smash, but I'd rather the current ones get developed more than how a lot of them are right now. Esp for series that haven't gotten new characters since Brawl or Smash 4.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
"Add Master Chief to your list of iconic characters or I'll get mad".

You know that's not the best way to come off to somebody over a darn list, right?
Only one person sounds mad right now, and it’s not dream1ng. You’re acting very provocative.

They were just asking you if you were being objective or not. Master Chief was one of a few names they mentioned and, not for nothing, probably one of the most obvious answers to the initial question. I’m not sure why you’re so reactionary toward that response, but some of your choices are understandably questionable when discussing specifically the MOST widely recognized characters.

So I’ll rephrase their initial question. Are these a list of iconic characters that you specifically want in Smash, or in general who you believe are the most recognizable characters absent from the roster?

Besides, the question was also "off the top of your head". I don't think about Master Chief all the time and he's been brought up so many times in other posts anyway.
If you just said “idk, I forgot” in the first place about those other characters I don’t think there would have been an argument.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Only one person sounds mad right now, and it’s not dream1ng. You’re acting very provocative.

They were just asking you if you were being objective or not. Master Chief was one of a few names they mentioned and, not for nothing, probably one of the most obvious answers to the initial question. I’m not sure why you’re so reactionary toward that response, but some of your choices are understandably questionable when discussing specifically the MOST widely recognized characters.

So I’ll rephrase their initial question. Are these a list of iconic characters that you specifically want in Smash, or in general who you believe are the most recognizable characters absent from the roster?
Probably, this is is not going to be the best thing for me to say, but do leave him alone. I know his reaction is not the best, but I don't think you can tell how upset he is through text, anyway.

Plus, it is not like getting on his case would make things better, at all. In fact, I think what you are doing could make it worse.

This is a guy who is not taking sides, by the way. That said, chill, Louie G. You too, Wonder Smash Wonder Smash if you are not that chill by any chance. No need to make this escalate. Just trying to help out.

And no, I am not trying to be a substitute mod here, or a mini-mod, for like I said, I am just trying to help things.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ultimate's a unique case where with everyone back, it had far more room to go hog wild on DLC, which mind you, wasn't a thing when the Base Game was decided upon. Everyone, including Piranha Plant, were decided upon far later on when DLC was pretty much told by Nintendo to Sakurai that they want to do it.

This gave tons of room for new characters, but don't forget Nintendo chose all the DLC except PP respectively. So they wanting to go more for 3rd parties to strength relationships(in some cases) makes a lot of sense.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Ultimate's a unique case where with everyone back, it had far more room to go hog wild on DLC, which mind you, wasn't a thing when the Base Game was decided upon. Everyone, including Piranha Plant, were decided upon far later on when DLC was pretty much told by Nintendo to Sakurai that they want to do it.

This gave tons of room for new characters, but don't forget Nintendo chose all the DLC except PP respectively. So they wanting to go more for 3rd parties to strength relationships(in some cases) makes a lot of sense.
Do you think Ultimate should remain a unique case, to keep it unique with everyone coming back that game? Just curious, that is all.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Do you think Ultimate should remain a unique case, to keep it unique with everyone coming back that game? Just curious, that is all.
No. I think everyone coming back was a great idea, but it's very costly to do again. I'd love it to happen, but cutting it down a bit is fine. I think it held its favorable niche~

Top Bottom