• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
What if Mii Costumes started including music more?

Understandably, there'd be certain complexities involved, but it'd still be pretty cool.

By the way, you know who I think would be a pretty cool (though niche) sports rep? Elise Riggs from SSX.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
I'd like a character from the Resident Evil series as a newcomer to the Super Smash Bros. series, but I'm not sure who would be a good fit, although I'm guessing a lot of people prefer Chris Redfield, while some others are considering Albert Wesker as well, so Chris Redfield is the right fit.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Personally I would prefer Nemesis for resident evil rep
If we’re trying represent horror genre in smash game I would rather play as the actual horror character rather than a regular human character
And Nemesis is also a good choice, but Albert Wesker was a mutant in Resident Evil 5, anyway yeah Nemesis seems more appropriate.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
NGL, I kind of get sad when people say they’d rather play as a monster than a human character when talking about Resident Evil. Don’t get me wrong, Nemesis is cool, but that kind of mindset just seems to me like narrowing the scope when Resident Evil has plenty of potentially fun Smash candidates.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I honestly don't care if it's a human or a monster. Both can be interesting. Albeit, I myself like the more non-humans when it comes to various games and such, but still.

Nemesis and Jill Valentine are easily my favorite two, and I'd play as either. They're both great characters. Though it does help I know Nemesis more due to the movies, not the games, so I'm kind of used to him not being evil. To also be fair, I never played the video games(I don't like jumpscares), but I do have the Card Game(a build a deck type), and it's loads of fun. Yes, I always play as Jill~).

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Because nobody cared to read my comic i decided to end it!
So i cut everything else down to one page!
And heres the big finale!
1711970082428.png

You can move this somewhere else after the first april okay!

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
NGL, I kind of get sad when people say they’d rather play as a monster than a human character when talking about Resident Evil. Don’t get me wrong, Nemesis is cool, but that kind of mindset just seems to me like narrowing the scope when Resident Evil has plenty of potentially fun Smash candidates.
It’s all just personal preference. The only two Resident Evil games I’ve ever played were 2 and 3 but I also watched my brother beat 4. I do like Leon a lot as a protagonist but I’ve always leaned towards characters who are the most visually unique and interesting. I’m sure any of the protagonists can also have cool movesets but it’s hard to compete with a giant, hulking zombie with a rocket launcher. Nemesis just really stands out from most other characters in gaming.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'd like a character from the Resident Evil series as a newcomer to the Super Smash Bros. series, but I'm not sure who would be a good fit, although I'm guessing a lot of people prefer Chris Redfield, while some others are considering Albert Wesker as well, so Chris Redfield is the right fit.
My personal preference is Jill. But I feel like Leon is a lot more likely. After having 2 back-to-back smash hit remakes come out. One of which was a remake of a huge Gamecube hit.

If we’re trying represent horror genre in smash game I would rather play as the actual horror character rather than a regular human character
I think Nemesis or Mr. X would demonstrate horror better as ATs. Something that shows up, chases you around and is nigh-unkillable, so all you can do is run away until it leaves.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I found a leak on the next SSB game
Remember Super Smash Bros for the N64? There’s going to be a sequel for the upcoming console, Project Dolphin. There is a trailer that’s going to drop in the late spring/early summer. From the original game, 10 are displayed from the trailer: Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Captain Falcon, and Ness. Also, they displayed 4 newcomers in the trailer: Peach, Bowser, some random pair from an obscure game called Ice Climber, and Sheik. Also, it was mentioned to me that there should at least be four more new fighters along with Jigglypuff and Luigi returning. These are where the details start to get fuzzy, but I think I recall that these additions are a third pokemon fighter, somebody from a region locked franchise called Fire Emblem, something from those Game & Watch things in the ‘80s, and the fourth fighter is somehow tied to one of the other characters on the roster (I think they’re tied to Sheik given the nature of his character in OoT, but I’m not certain). This is also wild, but I overheard that they might make Ganondorf a Captain Falcon clone if time permits by reusing a model from a Spaceworld 2000 trailer.
I’ve wanted to do this as an April Fools joke for awhile now.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I found a leak on the next SSB game
Remember Super Smash Bros for the N64? There’s going to be a sequel for the upcoming console, Project Dolphin. There is a trailer that’s going to drop in the late spring/early summer. From the original game, 10 are displayed from the trailer: Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Captain Falcon, and Ness. Also, they displayed 4 newcomers in the trailer: Peach, Bowser, some random pair from an obscure game called Ice Climber, and Sheik. Also, it was mentioned to me that there should at least be four more new fighters along with Jigglypuff and Luigi returning. These are where the details start to get fuzzy, but I think I recall that these additions are a third pokemon fighter, somebody from a region locked franchise called Fire Emblem, something from those Game & Watch things in the ‘80s, and the fourth fighter is somehow tied to one of the other characters on the roster (I think they’re tied to Sheik given the nature of his character in OoT, but I’m not certain). This is also wild, but I overheard that they might make Ganondorf a Captain Falcon clone if time permits by reusing a model from a Spaceworld 2000 trailer.
I’ve wanted to do this as an April Fools joke for awhile now.
I had a certain Game’s opening theme playing in my head while reading this.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Hello, i'm back guys! Haven't posted since like September 2023?
Anyways, how do you guys feel about a Unicorn Overlord rep? The game is aparently selling very well for a new IP.
However, i'm not sure if it should get over Yakuza as the next SEGA rep, since the latter has more fan demand i believe.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Anyways, how do you guys feel about a Unicorn Overlord rep? The game is aparently selling very well for a new IP.
However, i'm not sure if it should get over Yakuza as the next SEGA rep, since the latter has more fan demand i believe.
I think it's super unlikely, it sold 500 000 copies, which is honestly fairly good for the genre, but to say it's selling "very well" would be exagerating a bit imo. Lie you said, it has to compete with other Sega and Atlus franchise like SMT, Yakuza and Puyo puyo, who sold much more than that and have much bigger legacy. Personally I'm not a big fan to add characters from third party new ip just for the recency bias and I'd rather see stuff from Sega/Atlus that have a much bigger legacy. I'm not opposed to more recent new ip when it's first party like Arms was, but I feel like third party should be more special. If anything I would maybe be a bit more open to it if the Unicorn overlord guy has super fun moveset potential, but you could just add any Fire emblem characters with a sword and it would be literally the same.

osby

Smash Obsessed
My feeling is that there are a lot of games that sell very well for a new IP.

...yeah, that's it. It looks like a great game like most Vanillaware titles but I doubt it'll be on Smash's radar beyond anything but stuff like music or Spirits.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If I could change the subject slightly, one thing I really want the next Smash game to do is finally acknowledge the Professor Layton franchise. I'm not saying he has to be a playable character, or even an Assist Trophy, but I find it utterly bizarre that the series has never had so much as a single trophy/spirit or music track. Not only was Professor Layton the king of the puzzle genre during the late 2000s/early 2010s, but it has always been exclusive to Nintendo hardware (not including mobile ports).

Now that PL is finally coming back next year, I'm hoping the next Smash game will finally acknowledge my favourite true gentleman. The developers have had three opportunities now to acknowledge a franchise that did quite a lot for Nintendo during the DS/3DS days.
Getting any sort of acknowledgement from Level-5 in general in the next Smash would be great to see at this point, but yeah, hopefully the new game can help put the series back on the map again and finally receive some acknowledgement in the next Smash game.

It has a lot of aesthetic stage potential too, from St. Mystere, to the Azran Sanctuary to even the brand new Steam Bison, which is looking pretty promising from what we've seen of the new game so far, would look amazing and fun to fight in too.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
After brawlfans video on shadow side jibanyan i thought the timeskip means no more nate!
But i guess it was intended to be a megaman sitation were both "series" Run at the same time!
Normal yokai watch with cute yokai and nate in the past!
and Shadowside yokai watch in the future with more cool yokai and nates daughter!

Thats honestly a much smaerter move! because i like the classic yokai designs more cus they are cute!
Also smash need a cute cat so add the jibanyans:
1711982320734.png

Ill definitly prefer young jibanyan over the older version! as hes just so precious!

(also are there still smol jibanyans in the future also why do yokai age or is the diffrence because of the same thing that causes the shadowside forms?)
I have only played Yokai watch 2 and watched 1 so sorry for anything uninformed!

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Y'know what I think would be pretty cool?

If Dante ever gets revealed, it should be an homage to the title screen sequence from Devil May Cry 1, where he spins one of his guns and says "Let's rock, baby!"

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Getting any sort of acknowledgement from Level-5 in general in the next Smash would be great to see at this point, but yeah, hopefully the new game can help put the series back on the map again and finally receive some acknowledgement in the next Smash game.

It has a lot of aesthetic stage potential too, from St. Mystere, to the Azran Sanctuary to even the brand new Steam Bison, which is looking pretty promising from what we've seen of the new game so far, would look amazing and fun to fight in too.
Would love to see a Steam Bison stage from the new Layton game.
I know the game has even't released yet, but it looks really cool in the concept art.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
mqdefault.jpg

Gwimbly's a cool newcomer and all, minus the fact that you have to pay $5 every time he wins a match, but I'm really interested in how they got Smiling Friends' boss to be in the game.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey guys, check this out!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Would love to see a Steam Bison stage from the new Layton game.
I know the game has even't released yet, but it looks really cool in the concept art.
I guess it may depend on how far along both games are (assuming the next Smash is currently in development)
Iirc, they did showcase the Windy Hill stage back in Smash 4's development while Sonic Lost World wasn't out yet at the time, so I suppose if Sakurai wanted to showcase the stage, he could probably ask Level-5 for concept art or an early sneak peak of Steam Bison to get a good idea on how to design the stage, assuming Layton would be included in the next game.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
I have a question, normally from the Mother video game series shouldn't they have put Ninten as a playable character in the first place in the Super Smash Bros. series? I'm writing this because Ninten was the protagonist of Mother 1, the first protagonist that is, I have absolutely no problem with either Ness or Lucas, I just find it strange that they didn't put Ninten in the first game of the Super Smash Bros. series, while he is the first protagonist of the Mother series as it is known.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I have a question, normally from the Mother video game series shouldn't they have put Ninten as a playable character in the first place in the Super Smash Bros. series? I'm writing this because Ninten was the protagonist of Mother 1, the first protagonist that is, I have absolutely no problem with either Ness or Lucas, I just find it strange that they didn't put Ninten in the first game of the Super Smash Bros. series, while he is the first protagonist of the Mother series as it is known.
Best guess is they went with Ness because Mother 2 came out at least in America while the first game only came out in Japan.
We know how Sakurai is very hesitant about including Japan only characters as he initially planned to make Marth and Roy Japan exclusives in Melee and how he wouldn't have included Lucas in Brawl had he known Mother 3 wasn't going to come outside of Japan. As well as why Takamaru, Lip and Ayumi we're held back in the past.

While he didn't comment much on Ness's initial reasons (Not as far as I'm aware at least) that's probably the most likely reason why.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm writing this because Ninten was the protagonist of Mother 1, the first protagonist that is, I have absolutely no problem with either Ness or Lucas, I just find it strange that they didn't put Ninten in the first game of the Super Smash Bros. series, while he is the first protagonist of the Mother series as it is known.
Mother 1 is a little crappy. Also Ninten has no PK powers.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
They could even base his moveset off of his moves from DMC1 & DMC3.
Come to think of it, maybe his Side+B could be the Stinger. And he could use either his single-handed or double-handed taunt from DMC1.

By the way, Phoenix Wright and Frank West would also be interesting Capcom picks.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Well, I think this decision was a pretty obvious one for a few reasons. The main point that people already mentioned is that Earthbound actually came out in the states, unlike Mother 1. It wasn't a blowout success (quite the opposite), but it was at least a semi-recent title that English audiences could feasibly be familiar with or seek out if they were interested.

But something also worth mentioning is that, unlike its predecessor, Earthbound was developed by HAL Laboratory (in tandem with Ape Inc.) who went on to develop Smash Bros not long after. It could be argued that Ness was added as somewhat of an indulgent in-house pick, from developers who were likely spending a lot of time with the character just a few years prior. HAL's involvement in Smash may be the only reason a Mother character is here at all.

And this point is probably the least important, but Ninten and Ness are effectively interchangeable designs. Ness is essentially the evolution of the same character role and as such it might be a little confusing to make that distinction for brand sake. Seems more sensible to keep it up to date with the trajectory of the series and its protagonist at that point in time.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Best guess is they went with Ness because Mother 2 came out at least in America while the first game only came out in Japan.
We know how Sakurai is very hesitant about including Japan only characters as he initially planned to make Marth and Roy Japan exclusives in Melee and how he wouldn't have included Lucas in Brawl had he known Mother 3 wasn't going to come outside of Japan. As well as why Takamaru, Lip and Ayumi we're held back in the past.
that one i've always found a little weird. there were some japan only character he was unwilling to put in at all and some he was willing to put in but make exclusive to japan.

i do believe he said something a long the lines that ayumi more than anyone was unknown outside of japan. i do wonder how he judged this

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
OK, hear me out...

When it comes to survival horror representation in Smash, a lot of people would ask for Resident Evil or Silent Hill. Both of those would be great, but you know what I think would be an interesting (though rather niche) survival horror rep which also counts as a graphic adventure rep?

Clock Tower.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
And this point is probably the least important, but Ninten and Ness are effectively interchangeable designs. Ness is essentially the evolution of the same character role and as such it might be a little confusing to make that distinction for brand sake. Seems more sensible to keep it up to date with the trajectory of the series and its protagonist at that point in time.
On that topic, it's also interesting to note that Ness was almost cut in Melee in favor of Lucas to represent Mother 3 instead of Earthbound, but when Mother 3 for N64 was cancelled they just kept Ness.

that one i've always found a little weird. there were some japan only character he was unwilling to put in at all and some he was willing to put in but make exclusive to japan.

i do believe he said something a long the lines that ayumi more than anyone was unknown outside of japan. i do wonder how he judged this
Well, he probably judge Ayumi being "unknown outside of Japan"... by the fact that her games never released outside of Japan.

As for Lucas, he was added because at the time Sakurai thought that the game would come to the West eventually. And for Marth and Roy in Melee, they were actually supposed to be absent from the Western region, but the localisation team ask Sakurai to keep them because they were fun even if nobody knew the characters. Usually Sakurai will be very hesitant to add characters from Japan only games, such as Takamaru who was also considered for Smash 4 similar to Ayumi in Melee.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
On that topic, it's also interesting to note that Ness was almost cut in Melee in favor of Lucas to represent Mother 3 instead of Earthbound, but when Mother 3 for N64 was cancelled they just kept Ness.

Well, he probably judge Ayumi being "unknown outside of Japan"... by the fact that her games never released outside of Japan.

As for Lucas, he was added because at the time Sakurai thought that the game would come to the West eventually. And for Marth and Roy in Melee, they were actually supposed to be absent from the Western region, but the localisation team ask Sakurai to keep them because they were fun even if nobody knew the characters. Usually Sakurai will be very hesitant to add characters from Japan only games, such as Takamaru who was also considered for Smash 4 similar to Ayumi in Melee.
I talking about the term “more than anyone” meaning he thought ayumi was even more unknown out of Japan than everyone else

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I love the idea of a Resident Evil character who has an inventory they can navigate filled with limited ammunition and healing items. Have their non weapon attacks and stats be sub par, but have their weapons be very powerful, you just have to be cautious on how you use them, not wanting to waste your items, just like in Resident Evil. Maybe make it so ammunition/herbs will appear on the stage like an items every once in a while, but that might not work so well if you’re playing 8 player Smash with the same character.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I talking about the term “more than anyone” meaning he thought ayumi was even more unknown out of Japan than everyone else
I'm not sure where you got that "more than anyone" quote because the quote I saw from Ayumi is just that:

"Well, I was thinking about it during the Melee days, Famicon Detective Club…Ayumi even has her own Trophy in that game. But in the end, there’s no way she’d work overseas, so…but I do like Famicon Detective Club.”

I would need more context for the "more than anyone" but I'm assuming it's just that she's more unknown than the other characters that were considered for Melee.

Top Bottom