• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's a change of topic.

Disregarding movesets, which characters do you think will get redesigns?

Barring more obvious stuff like the Zelda crew, I think Shulk is going to be redesigned to be more anime like and a little less.... Like he is now. Xenoblade seems to have found it's art style and Shulk as he is, doesn't fit it exactly.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016

Barring more obvious stuff like the Zelda crew, I think Shulk is going to be redesigned to be more anime like and a little less.... Like he is now. Xenoblade seems to have found it's art style and Shulk as he is, doesn't fit it exactly.
Probably Samus. They might use her design from Metroid Dread.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I can actually see Xenoblade characters all keeping their game's art style (like with Zelda series in Smash) if the next game decides to go with a different artist. Otherwise, yeah, I can see Shulk looking more like how he did in the definitive edition next Smash.

Other than him:
  • Miis will likely get new looks
  • Bayonetta will probably have her 3 design as default while her existing looks will be alts
  • Zelda, Link and Ganon can change but I actually think they might stick with their current looks
  • Ryu and Ken may get a SF6 alt
  • I can see Inkling getting some alts from Splatoon 2 and/or 3 while keeping the default look, though this is admittedly unlikely. Same with Villager.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman

That's a pity because the old art style is better. But I do think Shulk should get changed (even if it's a downgrade) to fit in with Pyra/Mythra and the potential XB3 newcomer.

I think the Mario characters should get redesigns. Not anything drastic, but bring them closer to their canon counterparts. I do appreciate Melee and Brawl's efforts to bring a very character in the same art style, but it's an approach that has aged worse and worse with each newcomer that joins post-Smash 4, due to the fact that those characters are increasingly accurate to their game counterparts. Bowser should appear a little more cartoony (I don't mind feral Bowser, but the Mario movie did it objectively better than Smash because it also kept his "cutesy" nature intact). I love Peach and Daisy's level of detail in their dresses in SSBU but I feel like they should tone it down a little, maybe bring it a bit closer to Peach's Mario movie design.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

It's not impossible to think that Nintendo would push Sakurai to make Bowser and the DK crew be closer to themselves (in canon voices and personality) due to the Mario movie's success.

Samus could be updated to her Dread look and Link to his TotK look. Beyond that, I don't see many other characters being updated beyond alts.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Please god, Ganondoooooooorf!

Also hope Mario adopts his Wonder design. Maybe replace FLUDD with Elephant Mario.
I’m of the opposite opinion on Ganondorf. I’d love to see his moveset updated but his Ultimate design is my favorite the character has ever had by a good margin.

What I actually want is for Smash to greatly expand on alternate outfits so we can have each incarnation of a character throughout their history implemented as an actual model and not just a palate swap reference. That goes for Zelda characters but also several others like Samus that have had very different looks throughout their series.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
And then there's my idea, which is basically "Dragon Ball Heroes but with Nintendo characters". Basically, the whole thing takes place in some sort of simulation that allows all these characters to interact even in circumstances where that should be impossible (i.e. the character being canonically dead), and also throwing in any OCs should the overall plot require it. Heck, if you REALLY wanted to lean in on the Heroes comparison, let the player create their own avatar character that essentially serves as a self-insert to interact with the Nintendo characters directly.
In addition to your idea, I feel like the DB Heroes with Nintendo characters idea would be one of a very few ways that even the most obscure/niche of Nintendo characters would appear in a new game (outside of their game/series getting... well, a NEW game).

I am going to do some preemptive precaution speculation, but how would some of you feel about this specific scenario?
The Sable Prince now playable instead of an Assist Trophy.

And not only that, but for whatever reasoning, alongside the Sable Prince, we get Prince Richard as an Echo Fighter of the Sable Prince.
View attachment 386901
Knowing that some people will no doubt go, "Look Zelda fans. Your series finally got a new character!", how would some of you, as a Zelda fan, be feeling about this? Now obviously, since this is along the reveal of the game, there are more characters yet to be revealed after those 2 alongside whatever characters are also shown with them, but this is just preemptive speculation on what would your thoughts be on the people who try to do the "funny series crossover joke" regarding Prince Richard and him being in Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening if this kind of scenario were to happen.
I mean, I assume a good number of you would probably know that I'd have NO complaints about this becoming a reality. Heck, Prince Sable AND Prince Richard as an Echo?? Sign me up!! :D

Playing Joy Mech Fight makes me want Sukapon as the next game's WTF character. His hitboxes and animations are so bizarre and he's such a deep cut to 95% of the audience that he's kind of perfect for the role.
Heck, the fact that Sukapon was originally built as a comedian robot... I mean, what gags couldn't you implement with this guy's moveset and taunts?

Ultimately, they don't want to give favoritism to any specific series. It makes sense why the core villain is an OC. This ties things better together overall. It doesn't make sense for a Villain to suddenly be this powerful in a Nintendo Crossover. It's also not a premise where everyone is the "original version". They're some kind of Toy to begin with.

Thus, somebody had to bring them to that world. And it can't be anyone from a normal Nintendo world, otherwise the premise 100% fails. The OC angle was from Smash 64. This doesn't mean every OC is that great. Tabuu was fairly boring due to a major lack of storytelling. On the other hand, it wasn't so bad in Ultimate as we got at least one of them front and center. Besides, as noted, they constantly do this with crossovers. Since there's too many unique franchises, trying to fuse characters into one OC is even less plausible. It was doable in something like Marvel VS Capcom(though admittedly fusing two Marvel characters wasn't all that fair, but the roster is... awkward in Clash of the Superheroes. To be fair, it always had an awkward roster. On the other hand, this worked rather well with Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe due to a better roster distribution).

As I noted before, Tabuu is the only one that's kind of... weird. Whereas the others make sense. Giga Bowser is a special boss in Adventure Mode that is a unique transformation to Smash Bowser, but is explicitly a different Bowser to justify it. He's not nearly as bad as Tabuu, if only due to borrowing from the Giant Bowser design. Crazy Hand is the destroyer of the universe, whereas Master Hand is the creator. Tabuu has no clear point to him and just kind of exists. And that's not counting the other random bosses, though frankly the normal ones(I.E. Ridley) also came out of nowhere in the SSE. Due to a major lack of storytelling, they just existed. Only the playable characters generally had some story to them, along with a bit of Master Hand and slightly on Tabuu(and the OC bosses also had a tiny bit of story behind them too, more than the other kinds of bosses, who existed for no reason other than to exist).

Ultimate on the other hand justifies every single boss battle by them being a unique entity in the Smash Universe(which we already knew since Giga Bowser, and even moreso when Samus and Zero Suit Samus split apart). It goes with a clear storytelling of "they're all specific characters in a story, including those who should theoretically be the same person. But they're not, because we're looking at the full character aspect. Also, yes, a species has individual members that count as different people. Don't question it too much". It's convoluted, but that's how toys are anyway. You buy a toy of the same guy? Different figure, etc. It's really the same concept come to life. The only time they don't justify anything is the "8 or so costumes" angle. And that's mostly just... toys.

As for Dharkon and Galeem, they share some factors with Crazy Hand and Master Hand respectively. They're like Titans to their Gods, if you will. They both seek to destroy overall, but Dharkon just wants to obliterate it all and create corrupted versions. Whereas Galeem has the same goal, but to make it in his own image(and is called the Lord of Light to boot). So it's basically an evil version of Dark VS Light here. Master Hand VS Crazy Hand isn't much better overall, but they both actually do become heroic later on. Ultimate ensured that, but also, Master Hand was on the Heroes' side in the SSE overall. Crazy Hand for whatever reason didn't appear in the SSE, but that's probably due to a lack of time or story ideas.
It's nice to see some agreement on the whole favoritism thing. Although, it DOES remind me that Tabuu was such a non-entity in Subspace. Like, they couldn't have come up SOMETHING for this guy?

Seeing this reminds me... it's probably safe to assume that the Waft shown in Brawl's reveal trailer was mostly meant as shock value, right? I mean, I sincerely doubt they would have gotten away with THIS as his FS...

do you guys think a character thats as big as iron giant in multiversus would work in official smash game?
Only character that comes to mind for me is Doshin and Jashin. Unless Warrior Mech Gauss was a giant robot...

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Not every new fighter has to be a hype beast. I don't subscribe to Delzethin's theory that the entire Smash fanbase is a slave to the hype cycle but there are people out here, like Darth, who absolutely are and can't appreciate more low-key picks because they aren't adding on to the larger than lifeness of the game. A healthy mix of hype and low key is the correct balance. I don't want to see a Smash where third parties take up most of the roster because that isn't what I signed up to Smash for. Third parties, when used to spice up the dish, are nice, and there's a healthy number of hits, I don't think any third party in Smash was a bad pick - but we shouldnt ignore the characters who deserve to get a chance that haven't gotten it yet from Nintendo. Everyone whined about Byleth and they turned out to be supremely fun to play and one of the best Fire Emblem picks since Ike.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I know what it will entail.

The next game will have Mario, Pokemon and Zelda characters.
OH MY GOD KIRBY'S BEEN CUT

....and now I suddenly remember before Ultimate was shown off at E3, there was a fake leak that talked about how Kirby in the Robobot was a character but no sign of plain ol' Kirb.
Also Steene was the token Pokémon newcomer.

**** was weird.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not every new fighter has to be a hype beast. I don't subscribe to Delzethin's theory that the entire Smash fanbase is a slave to the hype cycle but there are people out here, like Darth, who absolutely are and can't appreciate more low-key picks because they aren't adding on to the larger than lifeness of the game. A healthy mix of hype and low key is the correct balance. I don't want to see a Smash where third parties take up most of the roster because that isn't what I signed up to Smash for. Third parties, when used to spice up the dish, are nice, and there's a healthy number of hits, I don't think any third party in Smash was a bad pick - but we shouldnt ignore the characters who deserve to get a chance that haven't gotten it yet from Nintendo. Everyone whined about Byleth and they turned out to be supremely fun to play and one of the best Fire Emblem picks since Ike.
You realize Darth is partially doing a bit right?

You gotta calm down, the whole thread has moved on.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Aren’t you the one that was saying all his most wanted characters “ain’t happening” because they aren’t currently relevant? I think it’s good that we have our own unique opinions on what we’d like to see but this seems like an odd argument for you to make after that.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming Let's not target or call out users like this pls. Your stance is clear as is theirs, take this to pms if you must.

On the new topic

Definitely Samus. I actually just started dread back up and they really should upgrade her look and feel. And though moveset wasn't the focus I wanna see cqc counter from dread implemented!

ScrubReborn

Smash Cadet
I get the convo's moving on, but I already wasted a bit of time typing this so I'll finish it before I move on to my college homework. I doubt third party prominence is gonna hit Ultimate levels again (numbers wise) 'cause A: Everyone is Here meant no old third parties had the chance to go, and B: DLC really beefed the numbers up with no cut veterans to compete with. Real lucky circumstances Smash 6 prolly won't have. That being said, I think there'll still be more third parties than pre-Ultimate games going forward, 'specially DLC, and I easily see them making up for the loss of breath with depth (more secondary third party reps for one), so they'll still kinda be a more integral part of the experience going forward.

I'll be shocked if Samus is still rocking her Other M fit in Smash 6.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Aren’t you the one that was saying all his most wanted characters “ain’t happening” because they aren’t currently relevant? I think it’s good that we have our own unique opinions on what we’d like to see but this seems like an odd argument for you to make after that.
All of his most wanted are supremely niche third parties. Nintendo characters can get away with being niche for Smash, but there has not once been a pick as niche as Ys or Chrono Trigger. They aren't getting in because why would Nintendo pay for a character who most people don't even know who they are. And I don't wanna hear "well nobody knew who Terry was" because KoF is huge in some circles, especially fighting game communities, and the series still exist.

As for Contra, the only people who care about Contra are adults who grew up playing NES. Konami hasn't even made a Contra game in years inhouse, they license it out to other companies because even they don't care enough about it to do it right

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
....and now I suddenly remember before Ultimate was shown off at E3, there was a fake leak that talked about how Kirby in the Robobot was a character but no sign of plain ol' Kirb.

**** was weird.

This was edited in my earlier post, but yeah, anyone else remember this?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
All of his most wanted are supremely niche third parties. Nintendo characters can get away with being niche for Smash, but there has not once been a pick as niche as Ys or Chrono Trigger. They aren't getting in because why would Nintendo pay for a character who most people don't even know who they are. And I don't wanna hear "well nobody knew who Terry was" because KoF is huge in some circles, especially fighting game communities, and the series still exist.

As for Contra, the only people who care about Contra are adults who grew up playing NES. Konami hasn't even made a Contra game in years inhouse, they license it out to other companies because even they don't care enough about it to do it right
How dare you insult Chrono Trigger, out lord and savior.

It'll outlive us all.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
This is not an objective fact yet you strut around arrogantly acting like your opinion is, and this isn't the first time. It's a constant in this thread.
I'm a tastemaker. Reality conforms to my whims.

Not every new fighter has to be a hype beast. I don't subscribe to Delzethin's theory that the entire Smash fanbase is a slave to the hype cycle but there are people out here, like Darth, who absolutely are and can't appreciate more low-key picks because they aren't adding on to the larger than lifeness of the game.
Ah yes. All those hype cycle picks I'm famous for like...Hayabusa...and Arthur...and Morrigan...and Metal Slug.

Truly...I am riding high of the bleeding edge of the zeitgeist...

Nintendo characters can get away with being niche for Smash, but there has not once been a pick as niche as Ys or Chrono Trigger.
Terry is pretty damn close.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I feel that first-party characters are pretty much a safe bet anyway. I don't get why anybody would feel threaten over wanting third-party characters. That's...kind of silly.
I'm not threatened over wanting third party characters, but eventually you gotta take a step back and temper expectations. Representation for representations sake doesn't mean anything. Just expanding the list of IP in the game isn't anything special. People are taking third parties for granted because they think that anyone can get in now which is definitely not the case

Noipoi

Howdy!
OH MY GOD KIRBY'S BEEN CUT

**** was weird.
I member

I also remember the one where Gardevoir would be a new character, with Gothitelle as her echo.

Wacky :nifty:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Since apparently I'm the spicy take bad guy now I'll do you one better

Chrono Trigger is supremely overrated. It's a good game with gorgeous music and an okay story but the core gameplay loop isn't anything special.
Oh.

Well I guess you hate puppies and sunshine too then.

I'm joking about that last part, but I'm not joking when I'm saying that you need to disengage. Take a break and come back.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Since apparently I'm the spicy take bad guy now I'll do you one better

Chrono Trigger is supremely overrated. It's a good game with gorgeous music and an okay story but the core gameplay loop isn't anything special.
I’m not going to get into it but I’ll just say that Chrono Trigger is one of my absolute favorite games ever made. If you don’t care for it, that’s fine but I strongly disagree that it’s overrated in the slightest.

ScrubReborn

Smash Cadet
I member

I also remember the one where Gardevoir would be a new character, with Gothitelle as her echo.

Wacky :nifty:
Was that the one where the "leaker" swore he swiped a copy of the game from E3 and that's how he knew the characters, or am I thinking of something else?

Last edited:
Top Bottom