• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If anything, he'll definitely be open to reusing the assets of Ultimate to save on dev work for the next game considering Ultimate itself did that with Smash 4.
Yeah, I know. I can see all Nintendo characters coming back for that matter if he wanted to bring them all back, including Young Link and Pichu. Again, that is only if he wanted to. All the third party characters, due to licensing issues as mentioned, are another story, as you may well know. It's probably not going to be easy to get all the third party characters back to make Everyone is Here happen again.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yeah, I know. I can see all Nintendo characters coming back for that matter if he wanted to bring them all back, including Young Link and Pichu. Again, that is only if he wanted to. All the third party characters, due to licensing issues as mentioned, are another story, as you may well know. It's probably not going to be easy to get all the third party characters back to make Everyone is Here happen again.
TBF, some first party characters may be cut depending on how much they want to improve the existing assets. The more improvements they want, the more cuts they might have to make.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
TBF, some first party characters may be cut depending on how much they want to improve the existing assets. The more improvements they want, the more cuts they might have to make.
I thought I was missing something about the first party characters. Thanks for explaining that. I appreciate it.

EDIT: Then again, I did say they could be included IF Sakurai wanted to add them in again, just to clarify.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
SF6 kinda has to have more detail since the camera is closer up. Even if Nintendo's next console is PS5-level powerful, they wouldn't implement much detail into the Smash characters because with the camera, they frankly wouldn't need to.
I'm not saying they should incorporate SF6 levels of detail, with realistic sweat, muscle flexing/jiggle physics, hair and fabric physics... Obviously Smash isn't going to pour so much time and effort into something that's barely visible, but they still need to up their game, even if they don't go all the way. Some characters literally feel like soulless husks, are misrepresented, don't function well...

I also don't like Ultimate's obsession with obtrusive particle effects. That's another thing that needs to be handled... it feels like every single action you commit brings up an ungodly amount of dust, the smoke when characters are launched is way too pronounced and lingers for too long, and the opaque cartoony effects just don't work with the art style. That's another thing SF6 did amazingly; your big moves like Drive Impact and the Finishers have flashy effects, but you can do so much as dash without having ugly dust obscure your vision.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Looks like Fighters Pass 3 is off the table.
Ultimate Deluxe isn't though.

I’ve always been in the “No Ultimate Deluxe or Fighters Pass 3” camp.

Do I get a cookie?
You could if this was actually confirmation. It's not.

Ultimate ≠ Ultimate Deluxe

And that's assuming he's not misdirecting in the first place. He says he's "finally done with Ultimate", but we know he stopped actively working on Ultimate years ago.

"MY work on SSBU is finally coming to an end" could mean someone el-

No. I'm not going there.
I'll go there for you.

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Ultimate Deluxe isn't though.

You could if this was actually confirmation. It's not.

Ultimate ≠ Ultimate Deluxe

And that's assuming he's not misdirecting in the first place. He says he's "finally done with Ultimate", but we know he stopped actively working on Ultimat
The copium is real.

Sakurai agreed to take up a new project that he wasn't aware of just because he didn't want the next Smash at the time to be a port of Melee on the Wii.

You think he'll be content with giving fans the same game they've been playing (or not playing, but staring at the CSS) for the past 6 years? Could be 8 or even 9 years by the point the next Smash comes out.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Are there any other RPG characters you’d love to see in Smash? Some of my own most wanted are Magus (Chrono Trigger), Zegram (Rogue Galaxy), H’aanit (Octopath Traveller), Etna (Disgaea), Garnet (Final Fantasy), Alphen/Shionne (Tales), and Xemnas (Kingdom Hearts).
Blanc from Neptunia since she's Nintendo.

Noipoi

Howdy!
And that's assuming he's not misdirecting in the first place. He says he's "finally done with Ultimate", but we know he stopped actively working on Ultimate years ago.
Sakurai never does this. Whenever he intentionally misleads the audience he always immediately clarifies the truth. Like when he said Zero Suit Samus was cut from Smash 4. He never just lies and holds onto that lie for like, three years.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Really, Sakurai would never go with an Ultimate Deluxe. Nintendo could absolutely greenlight one... but it wouldn't have Sakurai at the helm because he doesn't like porting it over. He might still be asked for advice.

However, it also would be under someone who has different ideas of where the direction would go, which would be pretty damn risky to take, which means the chances of having problems increase. Why would Nintendo want that? There's not a very high chance of it, overall. It's not impossible, but there's much more reason to believe otherwise.

Incidentally, Smash isn't Sakurai's baby where he can do what he wants. He's hired to work on it. He also has been with it so long that companies in Japan prefer to avoid hiring a new person as Director because it could make things go a direction that would, as noted, be too risky. That's not a good idea. It's one thing for a spin-off. But a main entry? Huuuuuge risk. Why do you think Nintendo gives Sakurai so much control? They still have some, but for the most part, he takes the helm because they feel he's the best option for it and really knows what he's doing.

Besides that, this is a lot harder to create than we have for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. It has a lot easier assets to work with, and a lot less balance needed due to tons of gameplay clones with much more minor tweaks. It's like if all the newcomers in Ultimate were Echoes, and even less content than we got. Notice how we barely got any new stages, even with DLC, overall? That's because it requires a lot more work. This isn't even noting that Sakurai made the returning stages from scratch too(no reason is clear, mind you. It's one thing that not all returned, due to the Stage Morph issue or other things like a 3DS-specific stage, but not easily reusing assets does seem odd). That said, even if they were more ported over instead, it's still a crapload of work. 8 Deluxe's extra DLC? They actually had Mario Kart Tour to also borrow from. That's why it worked. Smash doesn't have this option. Literally all it has left is previous other Stages to... remake new, since they're too outdated anyway. So of course it has less options than what are the equivalent of Echoes and easy to port over stuff. That's not the option Smash Ultimate actually has.

Noipoi

Howdy!
"Ridley is too big."
That wasn’t an intentional lie, that was his thought process at the time. One that clearly changed. Just like when he thought villager wouldn’t make for a good fighter. He changed his mind later on.

The two situations are hardly comparable. It’s a really obtuse argument to make, brother
:217:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
The copium is real.

Sakurai agreed to take up a new project that he wasn't aware of just because he didn't want the next Smash at the time to be a port of Melee on the Wii.

You think he'll be content with giving fans the same game they've been playing (or not playing, but staring at the CSS) for the past 6 years? Could be 8 or even 9 years by the point the next Smash comes out.
Oh please he's obviously making Smash 6 right now. That's his unannounced game full stop. No "cOpIuM" required. I'd also be willing to bet he's just fine with making Ultimate DX serve as Smash 6. It's certainly a very real possibility at the very least. Absolutely absurd for the reboot crowd to be acting like their position is inherently more valid and/or likely. Ultimate DX crowd has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more claim to that vibe than the reboot crowd.

I also will add that I don't think your argument with regards to Brawl is really compelling at all. That was then and this is now. Things change and the circumstances are vastly different.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
That wasn’t an intentional lie, that was his thought process at the time. One that clearly changed. Just like when he thought villager wouldn’t make for a good fighter. He changed his mind later on.

The two situations are hardly comparable. It’s a really obtuse argument to make, brother
:217:
Also, that quote was never uttered by the man himself.

What he actually said was that to make Ridley work as a fighter, he'd have to be altered in many ways that wouldn't feel like Ridley anymore.

And while mileage may vary on how :ultridley: feels, it proved something I knew right away; that for Ridley to work, he'd need a brand new design deliberately catered to Smash, not taking an existing design and tweaking it like mods did.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
"Ridley is too big."
This is a horrible counterargument to the statement that "Sakurai doesn't just lie". Ridley is too big. And Sakurai knew it. Everything Sakurai has said about Ridley is true; he never once lied, and the sentiment that he did is one very misguided attempt at a "gotcha! He lies!" moment.

"If we made Ridley as a fighter [...] it'd have to get shrunk down, or its wings reduced in size, or be unable to fly freely."

This is a gist of what Sakurai said back then. And it's true, word for word. Ridley was shrunk. His wings were shrunk too. And he cannot fly around, instead he's restricted to 2 jumps and a mediocre Up B.

Everything he said about Ridley was true. He never lied about Ridley, and if his statements aged poorly, that's not because he was lying at the time or because he wanted to mislead us; it's because that is genuinely how he felt about Ridley at the time. Closing this message with another quote:

"I think that would probably be impossible. [laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow."

Notice the words "probably" and "may have been able to do it"? He never lied. You're just misconstruing his words for your strawman arguments ♡

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Ridley didn't turn out to be all that slow at all though. Sakurai was lying all along.

I'm joking; I've always found it a little weird how Ridley was the one character Sakurai was dead sure he couldn't adapt any of his canon attributes at all, though. He had already removed free flight from pretty much all the Kirby or winged characters, and altered the sizes of a bunch of other characters like Olimar or Bowser or even Ganondorf.
In fact, the only weird thing about him in the end is a wonky up B that didn't even need to be so wonky.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Oh please he's obviously making Smash 6 right now. That's his unannounced game full stop. No "cOpIuM" required. I'd also be willing to bet he's just fine with making Ultimate DX serve as Smash 6. It's certainly a very real possibility at the very least. Absolutely absurd for the reboot crowd to be acting like their position is inherently more valid and/or likely. Ultimate DX crowd has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more claim to that vibe than the reboot crowd.

I also will add that I don't think your argument with regards to Brawl is really compelling at all. That was then and this is now. Things change and the circumstances are vastly different.
This reply is just ???

I never once said he isn't making Smash 6. I just said I think Smash 6 is probably not a port of Ultimate. Which, duh.

What "reboot crowd" are you speaking of? Did I say I want a reboot? Is there even such a thing as a reboot when it comes to Smash? Is this delusion I'm witnessing?

I never even mentioned a reboot. You're conflating my message with some pre-conceived assumption you made up in your head that you wanted to reply to... work on that ♡

My Brawl argument isn't compelling to you, alright, I admit it's not a recent case, but it's the only precedent of Sakurai declining a port because "it wouldn't be a new game at all".

Ridley didn't turn out to be all that slow at all though. Sakurai was lying all along.

I'm joking; I've always found it a little weird how Ridley was the one character Sakurai was dead sure he couldn't adapt any of his canon attributes at all, though. He had already removed free flight from pretty much all the Kirby or winged characters, and altered the sizes of a bunch of other characters like Olimar or Bowser or even Ganondorf.
In fact, the only weird thing about him in the end is a wonky up B that didn't even need to be so wonky.
He never said he couldn't adapt any of his canon attributes; his viciousness and cruelness are there alright.

Kirby's "flight" isn't freeform, though, it is basically multiple little jumps. Smash just applied a limit to what was already there. The winged characters you mentioned, such as Pit, Meta Knight, and Charizard, could all fly freely in Brawl due to gliding, which was removed for balancing reasons. I'd also say flying isn't as vital to them as it is to Ridley; Pit's whole deal is that he's an angel who can't fly and Meta Knight's "flight" is the same deal as Kirby. However, Ridley's fights all have him flying freely and attacking from above.

Changing Olimar and Ganondorf's sizes is not the same as changing Ridley's. Olimar is canonically tiny, yes, but in the context of his games, his relative size is average. He's smaller than the monsters he encounters but bigger than his Pikmin, which is reflected in Smash. Ganondorf on the other hand has no canon height, but is always towering over Link, which is also reflected in Smash. Ridley's size is ingrained in his identity. He's huge and threatening. He can pick Samus up with one hand like it's nothing. These aren't comparable really.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
You can't really give any character unconstrained flight in even a pseudo 3D game like Crystal Shards because they can effectively break the game. Same reason Tails in the 3D games has either mechs or odd limitations to prevent him from completely skipping over stages.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You can't really give any character unconstrained flight in even a pseudo 3D game like Crystal Shards because they can effectively break the game. Same reason Tails in the 3D games has either mechs or odd limitations to prevent him from completely skipping over stages.
Oh, he had limitations with Flight in the 2D games too. It's only in NPC mode was he unlimited. When playable, he's nerfed... like anybody else would be~

Also, even when using his NPC version to give you flight like in Sonic 3(& Knuckles), it's still limited. Albeit, he is technically a PC via the controller, but you get what I mean. He's limited either way. Oddly enough, he does have some unlimited flight in a few side areas like the Chao Garden in Adventure 2. XD

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Oh, he had limitations with Flight in the 2D games too. It's only in NPC mode was he unlimited. When playable, he's nerfed... like anybody else would be~

Also, even when using his NPC version to give you flight like in Sonic 3(& Knuckles), it's still limited. Albeit, he is technically a PC via the controller, but you get what I mean. He's limited either way. Oddly enough, he does have some unlimited flight in a few side areas like the Chao Garden in Adventure 2. XD
True, though with the 2D games it it's a solid balance of being easier/exploration friendly with the ceilings (invisible or otherwise) still preventing you from completely skipping the game entirely.

Much harder to do in 3D, though his (and Cream's) flights in Dream Team do feel like a solid effort in trying to make the idea work.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
True, though with the 2D games it it's a solid balance of being easier/exploration friendly with the ceilings (invisible or otherwise) still preventing you from completely skipping the game entirely.

Much harder to do in 3D, though his (and Cream's) flights in Dream Team do feel like a solid effort in trying to make the idea work.
Yeah, definitely harder in 3D. Hell, we had issues in Adventure 1 where the screen wouldn't fully load. You could jump up too high just slightly and die as Sonic in some areas. It was... oof. Invisible ceilings were kind of nice in comparison than death ceilings. XD

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
This reply is just ???

I never once said he isn't making Smash 6. I just said I think Smash 6 is probably not a port of Ultimate. Which, duh.

What "reboot crowd" are you speaking of? Did I say I want a reboot? Is there even such a thing as a reboot when it comes to Smash? Is this delusion I'm witnessing?

I never even mentioned a reboot. You're conflating my message with some pre-conceived assumption you made up in your head that you wanted to reply to... work on that ♡

My Brawl argument isn't compelling to you, alright, I admit it's not a recent case, but it's the only precedent of Sakurai declining a port because "it wouldn't be a new game at all".
Don't presume you have any authority whatsoever to tell me what I need to work on with regard to literally anything or imply I'm mentally unwell (delusional) for even actually misunderstanding you which I still don't believe I did.

I guess I took an argument against Ultimate DX being Smash 6 as inherently being a pro-reboot position which I think is a reasonable assumption to make. Nothing delusional about it. I hate when people do the "I dIdN'T sAY iT eXaCtLy tHiS wAY sO yOu'Re MiSrEprEsEnTiNg mE NoWzzZ!!!!11!" schtick. Very internet though.

Brawl was still built from Melee if I'm not mistaken? That's why Mewtwo and Roy were almost in it (first additions to Project M) and why Jigglypuff was able to be last-minute included. So it is kind of a port. See Smash has just been kind of doing this forever now. I think even Melee was built from 64? I've never seen anybody truly substantiate that hypothesis (Melee being built from 64) but I imagine it might be true because of the 3 classic 64 stages existing in that game and the only other time besides Ultimate where everyone from the previous game returned. In addition to it being part of the reason they were able to develop Melee within a 1 year timeframe.

If this is all true then that is an extremely compelling argument for Smash 6 to essentially be Ultimate DX funded as a mainline Smash 6. Melee was built from 64, which was used to build Brawl, which then used to build Smash 4 which was finally then used to build Ultimate. That's a very clearly established precedent. And when we look at the character moveset changes over the years this obviously illustrates that reworks/readjustments are very much within the realm of possibility in a UltimateDX/Smash6 game which might be why this approach to making Smash has worked for so long; kind of a best of bot worlds situation. It seems like a new game made completely from scratch is currently unestablished.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
That wasn’t an intentional lie, that was his thought process at the time. One that clearly changed.
Well maybe he just THINKS he's done with Ultimate.

Sakurai's phone rings "...it's Nintendo."

He never lied.
You're right. He didn't lie. He was just wrong.

Good for him! He still said something that ended up not being true.

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Don't presume you have any authority whatsoever to tell me what I need to work on with regard to literally anything or imply I'm mentally unwell (delusional) for even actually misunderstanding you which I still don't believe I did.

I guess I took an argument against Ultimate DX being Smash 6 as inherently being a pro-reboot position which I think is a reasonable assumption to make. Nothing delusional about it. I hate when people do the "I dIdN'T sAY iT eXaCtLy tHiS wAY sO yOu'Re MiSrEprEsEnTiNg mE NoWzzZ!!!!11!" schtick. Very internet though.
You did misinterpret just about everything I said though. "Very internet" no, you just didn't understand/purposely misunderstood what I said. It's not that deep!

Being anti-port isn't mutually exclusive with being pro-reboot. The likeliest scenario is that we won't get one or the other. The next game will most probably, based on series precedent, be an iterative sequel that both subtracts and adds content.

Brawl was still built from Melee if I'm not mistaken? That's why Mewtwo and Roy were almost in it (first additions to Project M) and why Jigglypuff was able to be last-minute included. So it is kind of a port. See Smash has just been kind of doing this forever now. I think even Melee was built from 64? I've never seen anybody truly substantiate that hypothesis (Melee being built from 64) but I imagine it might be true because of the 3 classic 64 stages existing in that game and the only other time besides Ultimate where everyone from the previous game returned. In addition to it being part of the reason they were able to develop Melee within a 1 year timeframe.
Brawl shares some assets with Melee but Sakurai has said that Brawl was an original production from scratch. Same for Smash 4. That's because the teams that worked on those games are totally separate. Ultimate on the other hand was built using Smash 4 as a straight up base. None of these qualify for ports though. If you think "Brawl can kinda sorta qualify as a Melee port", you really just have zero idea how these games work. Melee has 64's DNA in it but is also largely original or just tweaked beyond recognition. Still in no way a port though.
If this is all true then that is an extremely compelling argument for Smash 6 to essentially be Ultimate DX funded as a mainline Smash 6. Melee was built from 64, which was used to build Brawl, which then used to build Smash 4 which was finally then used to build Ultimate. That's a very clearly established precedent. And when we look at the character moveset changes over the years this obviously illustrates that reworks/readjustments are very much within the realm of possibility in a UltimateDX/Smash6 game which might be why this approach to making Smash has worked for so long; kind of a best of bot worlds situation. It seems like a new game made completely from scratch is currently unestablished.
The point of a port is to save on budget while marketing a new game. Funding Ultimate DX as Smash 6 would be a horrible idea because the game would be unoriginal (= less sales) and take up a whole unique game's budget.

Again, if you think port = a previous game is used as a base... you're just horribly misinformed. New SMB Wii uses New SMB DS as a base but is in no way a port of it. New SMBU DX uses NSMBU as a base and is a port, because that's the exact same game with very minor additions. If you still don't get it, you might wanna work on that.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
Being anti-port isn't mutually exclusive with being pro-reboot. The likeliest scenario is that we won't get one or the other. The next game will most probably, based on series precedent, be an iterative sequel that both subtracts and adds content.
Pretty much this.

It's funny that even the question of "will we get an enhanced port or a full sequel?" is just history repeating itself. This was very much a talking point after Smash 4 had finished development and we were all waiting on the Switch (NX?) game.

I personally can't imagine them billing the next game as "Ultimate Deluxe" or some equivalent even in the unlikely event that every fighter and stage did return.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If the next system is indeed being delayed, I'm curious of that will cause a shuffling of releases for this year. Hypothetically this could be the year when all the hypothetical ports/remakes rumored to already be finished (Prime 2 & 3, Wind Waker/Twilight Princess, FE4?) get put out to effectively give the Switch's final year some depth in the library.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
If the next system is indeed being delayed, I'm curious of that will cause a shuffling of releases for this year. Hypothetically this could be the year when all the hypothetical ports/remakes rumored to already be finished (Prime 2 & 3, Wind Waker/Twilight Princess, FE4?) get put out to effectively give the Switch's final year some depth in the library.
I'm expecting this year to be mostly ports/remaster with a Pokémon game for the holiday season. I think we might see Prime 4 too, but I could see them holding into it to have it at launch for Switch 2 with better performance (similar to Botw), but the thing is I don't see Metroid carrying a new console release alone, so maybe they'll have Prime 4 + something Mario to cater to a big audience.

If the Switch 2 in 2025 is true, I'm expecting next year to be a pretty big year for Nintendo. I think they learn from their past mistakes and the Switch strategy of having a big game pretty much every month did wonder for the console, so I feel like they're going to try to replicate that so many studios will hold on releasing game this year to save them for 2025 (like Monolith soft).

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I'm still thinking that the japanese release of advance wars re-boot camp will be a few days after the switch 2 releases.

Japan got both games bundled into one and it was released when the Nintendo DS had just released.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This is a horrible counterargument to the statement that "Sakurai doesn't just lie". Ridley is too big. And Sakurai knew it. Everything Sakurai has said about Ridley is true; he never once lied, and the sentiment that he did is one very misguided attempt at a "gotcha! He lies!" moment.

"If we made Ridley as a fighter [...] it'd have to get shrunk down, or its wings reduced in size, or be unable to fly freely."

This is a gist of what Sakurai said back then. And it's true, word for word. Ridley was shrunk. His wings were shrunk too. And he cannot fly around, instead he's restricted to 2 jumps and a mediocre Up B.

Everything he said about Ridley was true. He never lied about Ridley, and if his statements aged poorly, that's not because he was lying at the time or because he wanted to mislead us; it's because that is genuinely how he felt about Ridley at the time. Closing this message with another quote:

"I think that would probably be impossible. [laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow."

Notice the words "probably" and "may have been able to do it"? He never lied. You're just misconstruing his words for your strawman arguments ♡
Not to be a hater, but this also sums up why Ridley feels a bit off to me in Ultimate. To me, he's quite awkwardly designed, and almost feels forced.

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
Not to be a hater, but this also sums up why Ridley feels a bit off to me in Ultimate. To me, he's quite awkwardly designed, and almost feels forced.
Granted, this is from the same person who said Ridley coudln't make it becaue he was too big for Smash, despite the many counterarguements that were presented.

On the topic of no Ultimate Deluxe, I'm glad this is the case, I didn't entirely hate the idea, but I'd rather have a new game entirely than an expaneded version of game people, including myself, have been playing for half a decade now.

To me personally, each entry of the Super Smash Bros series is like a unique experience of it's own that is soley built for the console in mind, every game is and should be different from another.

Top Bottom