• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Honestly, I don't see the zealously in wanting Nintendo IPs in Fortnite.

Can't fully explain but most of me is glad Nintendo is holding off on putting their characters in. Idk, I mean doesn't Fortnite has a lot of big, big IPs in it already. Feels like gluttony: the game to me.

Lol
I don't know I just think it would be cool to have link in Fortnite.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yeah, Xenoblade and FE are only franchises ever to have new characters each game.

Kirby: Magalor, Dark Matter, Susie, Tarzana, Gooey, Adeline etc

Zelda: Ghirahim, Skull Kid, Tingle, Midna, Impa etc

DK: Dixie, Cranky, Funky, the Animal Friends etc

Potential Candidates. These characters just don't exist apparently. Kirby could definitely use some villains and before some wise guy chimes in, Meta and DDD do not count at all.
Well sure but out of all those how many are recurring? Impa? (Through a separate game no less via AoC).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Which western game rep do you feel are the most likely ones?
Sans Undertale, without a shred of irony.

Probably the biggest cross-appeal western character available, and one that already has his foot in the door. His popularity has not subsided and his Mii Costume garnered the same level of hype as some playable characters. No doubt that Undertale is on the radar for at least some more substantial content.

After that would be Master Chief, but I think he would be designated for DLC.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Which western game rep do you feel are the most likely ones? In my case are crash bandicoot, jonesy and dovahkiin.
Mmm...any of Microsoft's big properties. Halo, Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Starcraft, Warcraft. Or some of their more iconic retro properties. Like Crash or Battletoads.

I don’t expect any content from Chrono trigger in smash until square-Enix decide to revive it
It's long overdue for a remake.

I could see them crapping out an 2D-HD remake. But what I'm really hoping for is after they finish FF7R, they give it a AAA remake that looks like Dragon Ball FighterZ.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

Probably the biggest cross-appeal western character available, and one that already has his foot in the door. His popularity has not subsided and his Mii Costume garnered the same level of hype as some playable characters. No doubt that Undertale is on the radar for at least some more substantial content.

It’s either gonna be him or Shovel Knight as the first indie character.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Honestly I think it's just straight-up gonna be Sans, period. Shovel Knight was once popular enough to get in as an assist but I do feel like his star has somewhat faded with time, whereas Undertale is still as popular and relevant as ever

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Shovel Knight’s game is great but I’m surprised to see that we’re still insisting if we got an indie character it would be him when his relevance has largely faded in recent years.

Compared to like Shantae, Sans, and Cuphead, all three of which have Mii Costumes and are still getting games and merchandise, I just don’t know how I feel about Shovel Knight anymore being the first indie character, even if, again, great game.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
"X series wouldn't/shouldn't get more reps because its genre doesn't translate as well to Smash"

Guys, I thought the whole point was to bring together characters of all different genres into one game. These arguments should've just been dead and buried after Villager and Wii Fit Trainer.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Shovel Knight’s game is great but I’m surprised to see that we’re still insisting if we got an indie character it would be him when his relevance has largely faded in recent years.

Compared to like Shantae, Sans, and Cuphead, all three of which have Mii Costumes and are still getting games and merchandise, I just don’t know how I feel about Shovel Knight anymore being the first indie character, even if, again, great game.
The fact that you think Shovel Knight is still a single game shows you're not keeping track of things considering we got two different games (spin-offs but still) since 2021. Not to mention the original game got over 5 years of support.

It should also be noted that Shovel Knight got an Assist Trophy role, something your other examples lack and is notably the only indie with that honor, alongside a handful of spirits too. More than any other indie, in fact. Just because he has no Mii costume doesn't mean he has no presence in Smash.

The only reason he seems less "revelant" is solely because he stopped doing crossover cameos in other games because his IP is still very much still alive and releasing new things otherwise.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The fact that you think Shovel Knight is still a single game shows you're not keeping track of things considering we got two different games (spin-offs but still) since 2021. Not to mention the original game got over 5 years of support.

It should also be noted that Shovel Knight got an Assist Trophy role, something your other examples lack and is notably the only indie with that honor, alongside a handful of spirits too. More than any other indie, in fact.

The only reason he seems less "revelant" is solely because he stopped doing crossover cameos in other games because his IP is still very much still alive and pumping new things otherwise. Not to mention still having a large presence in Ultimate despite the lack of Mii costume or music.
Okay

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Mmm...any of Microsoft's big properties. Halo, Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Starcraft, Warcraft. Or some of their more iconic retro properties. Like Crash or Battletoads.

It's long overdue for a remake.

I could see them crapping out an 2D-HD remake. But what I'm really hoping for is after they finish FF7R, they give it a AAA remake that looks like Dragon Ball FighterZ.
Considering we've been getting so many remakes and remasters of classic Square games, Mario RPG being the most recent example and Dragon quest 3 coming out in the near future I would expect something related to Chrono trigger to happen sooner rather than later.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I would rather not have a remake of Chrono Trigger. The game is timeless and a gem - the awesomeness that is CT is the game and its legacy. That is why I abhor Chrono Cross.

Aslong as its kid goku im gonna accept it!
:over9000: <- this Goku

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I know I'm a broken record on this, but I really hope they don't add Sans. It would be one thing if his moveset was like Villager's, where he fights by not fighting. It wouldn't be great, but I would be alright with it. But there's no way they would do that. If they add him, he's going to be based around the Genocide fight, and that's what I really don't like. Making the crown jewel of Undertale representation in Smash completely based on a boss fight you can only get in what is essentially the bad ending. It's like if the playable Three Houses character in Smash was specifically this version of Edelgard. I don't want to sound like some sort of prude or something, I don't mind the mii costume, but I really hope the actual playable Undertale character represents more of the game than an (admittedly very cool) secret boss fight.

I agree that an Undertale character is inevitable, but I really hope it's someone other than the Bad Time man. Papyrus, Toriel, Ralsei, Susie, take your pick.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Also Midna and Skull Kid aren't really side characters.

With DK I'd still like Dixie but agree that right now I'm not really asking for more beyond that (of course new releases can always change things).

Xenoblade 3 did fine, though clearly suffered from not being the first new Xeno on Switch.
Just by personal opinion, I did find Xeno2 and its cast more memorable than 3.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I know I'm a broken record on this, but I really hope they don't add Sans. It would be one thing if his moveset was like Villager's, where he fights by not fighting. It wouldn't be great, but I would be alright with it. But there's no way they would do that. If they add him, he's going to be based around the Genocide fight, and that's what I really don't like. Making the crown jewel of Undertale representation in Smash completely based on a boss fight you can only get in what is essentially the bad ending. It's like if the playable Three Houses character in Smash was specifically this version of Edelgard. I don't want to sound like some sort of prude or something, I don't mind the mii costume, but I really hope the actual playable Undertale character represents more of the game than an (admittedly very cool) secret boss fight.

I agree that an Undertale character is inevitable, but I really hope it's someone other than the Bad Time man. Papyrus, Toriel, Ralsei, Susie, take your pick.
I’d argue that Sans’ boss fight is probably the most iconic bit of Undertale though.

I see where you’re coming from, and I don’t entirely disagree. It would be just a bit odd to represent such a fun, quirky, and even thoughtful game with its bleakest elements. But I imagine the other parts would also show up in a stage, with trophies/spirits, music, and so on. It wouldn’t all just be Genocide.

And at the end of the day I’d just be happy that Undertale got a fighter in Smash Bros of all games. Thats a big deal.

Thats just me though :drshrug:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It would be just a bit odd to represent such a fun, quirky, and even thoughtful game with its bleakest elements.
Personally, I feel like Sans still exemplifies this. He is an inherently funny character, he has silly prank objects and a trombone. He's a lazybones and many of his attacks would have a goofy, effortless feeling to them. Tossing a single bone, shrugging after a whiff. Of course his most iconic abilities come out through his Genocide fight, but that isn't all that defines the character after all. Much of his moveset would be characteristically silly.

And thoughtfulness, well that's hard to represent explicitly through a character, but we all know that Sans is one of the most compelling characters in the game. Sans' ability to be all these things at once, in addition to his mascot quality, still make him the ideal representative of the game in my eyes. But hey, I'd be happy to see just about anything Undertale make it in. I think Deltarune can stick with nonplayable content for now though, until the game properly releases.

My piece is, at the end of the day, if it's okay with Toby then it's okay with me. I'm certain Sakurai would be in detailed conversation with him about how to represent the game and if Toby is uncomfortable with the direction the character is taking, or thinks another character would be better, he would probably say so. The fact that Sans is already a Mii Costume wielding a gaster blaster, and accompanied by Megalovania to boot, tells me it's probably okay though.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Personally, I feel like Sans still exemplifies this. He is an inherently funny character, he has silly prank objects and a trombone. He's a lazybones and many of his attacks would have a goofy, effortless feeling to them. Tossing a single bone, shrugging after a whiff. Of course his most iconic abilities come out through his Genocide fight, but that isn't all that defines the character after all. Much of his moveset would be characteristically silly, he is perhaps by design the funniest character in the game.

And thoughtfulness, well that's hard to represent explicitly through a character, but we all know that Sans is one of the most compelling characters in the game. Sans' ability to be all these things at once, in addition to his mascot quality, still make him the ideal representative of the game in my eyes. But hey, I'd be happy to see just about anything Undertale make it in. I think Deltarune can stick with nonplayable content for now though, until the game properly releases.
FXzrZSNUcAAXFQq.jpg

Good point, I was thinking that myself.

Sure, all his moves may come from the Genocide fight. But he probably wouldn't be treating it as a life or death bloodmatch for the fate of the world. He'd just be goofing around.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know I'm a broken record on this, but I really hope they don't add Sans. It would be one thing if his moveset was like Villager's, where he fights by not fighting. It wouldn't be great, but I would be alright with it. But there's no way they would do that. If they add him, he's going to be based around the Genocide fight, and that's what I really don't like. Making the crown jewel of Undertale representation in Smash completely based on a boss fight you can only get in what is essentially the bad ending. It's like if the playable Three Houses character in Smash was specifically this version of Edelgard.
i dunno about that comparison, i don't think 3 houses endings are meant to be "the good one" and "the bad one"

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I know I'm a broken record on this, but I really hope they don't add Sans. It would be one thing if his moveset was like Villager's, where he fights by not fighting. It wouldn't be great, but I would be alright with it. But there's no way they would do that. If they add him, he's going to be based around the Genocide fight, and that's what I really don't like. Making the crown jewel of Undertale representation in Smash completely based on a boss fight you can only get in what is essentially the bad ending. It's like if the playable Three Houses character in Smash was specifically this version of Edelgard.
Not exactly the best comparison when the Genocide route is the only one where you fight Sans, making it the biggest potential source of inspiration (especially since it's the most iconic thing about Sans) while you actually fight Edelgard at least once on all routes but hers, where she instead takes main character role, giving her plenty of options and references to draw from moveset-wise.

That version of her also only showed up once as a last-minute final boss with absolutely no foreshadowing whatsoever and once as a 5-second cameo in a Warriors spin-off, while the Sans fight (or at the very least his general awareness of the killer you are) is being teased since the very moment you first meet him in a Genocide route. This is comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
i dunno about that comparison, i don't think 3 houses endings are meant to be "the good one" and "the bad one"
That wasn't what I meant. The comparison was that both Hegemon Edelgard and Genocide Sans are versions of the characters that only show up in one route. Edelgard is a protagonist in her route and a side antagonist in the other two, while Sans is mostly comic relief in the pacifist and neutral routes (as well as what we've seen of Deltarune). Adding specifically Azure Moon Edelgard would be a poor representation of Three Houses (because it ignores 75% of the game) and the character (because she doesn't act anything like this under different circumstances). Genocide Sans is kind of the same situation. I'm not even saying it because "Genocide is the bad ending" - Asriel would be a pretty lousy pick for much the same reason.

for some reason it's really hard for me to put all of this into words so sorry if it's not making much sense.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I feel like you could still take Sans' abilities from the Genocide fight (like Gaster Blasters and stuff) and make them more lighthearted or comedic for his specials, and then make Sans' normals really goofy or half-hearted to represent his lazy nature. Maybe Genocide's version could come out more for a Final Smash (like his opening attack leading into the Genocide fight), but it doesn't necessarily have to.

I feel like as long as Toby approves Sans in Smash, he'd do something along those lines.

Of course, we could also do fine if we got someone like Undyne as well, but it is true that Sans is definitely the most iconic character out of that cast.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Not that I like the idea of raising people's hopes in such a fashion, but I can't lie a Sans reveal where it's teased that he's a fighter with moveset inspired by the Genocide Route only for him to shrug and say the equivalent of "Just kidding, I'm an assist trophy actually"?

Would be pretty damn funny.
Imagine they did that and it fades to black like a normal trailer, and then a text box comes up like "SANS, YOU'RE SUCH A LAZYBONES! IF YOU WON'T BECOME A FIGHTER, THEN THE GREAT PAPYRUS WILL HAVE TO PICK UP THE SLACK!" and it turns into a Papyrus trailer lol

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I would rather not have a remake of Chrono Trigger. The game is timeless and a gem - the awesomeness that is CT is the game and its legacy.
I desperately want a remake of Chrono Trigger. But I want it made by the same people that made the original.

I don't want Nomura anywhere near it so he can ruin it with timeghosts or some ****.

I also just want a modern remake of that game's soundtrack soooo bad. I FINALLY got one for SMRPG(except, annoying, I didn't get a full remix of the end credits theme...). Now Chrono Trigger is, like, the last one of those iconic soundtracks that hasn't been fully redone yet.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
If you are saying that because of FF7R. Just note that those ideas were Kitase's idea and Nomura is the one what wanted to fully faithful.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If you are saying that because of FF7R. Just note that those ideas were Kitase's idea and Nomura is the one what wanted to fully faithful.
Whoever's idea it was to Kingdom Heartsify FF7R's story. Keep them the **** away from CTR.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Whoever's idea it was to Kingdom Heartsify FF7R's story. Keep them the **** away from CTR.
Well if I read the post correctly, Nomura is the one who went with the Nomura story, because it wasn’t a Nomura story, this is what the original director intended for a remake this entire time.

You shot yourself in the foot dawg idk what to tell you :090:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The use of CTR as a short hand is now making me want Nomura's take on Crash Team Racing.
I would actually be down for that if only because we could get the silliest sequel names like Crash Team Racing 5.4 - Drifting through Dreams in the Darkness

Would be hilarious :4pacman:

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
What do you guys think the new spirit event will be?

something of a recent first party game like Xenoblade 3, Splatoon 3 (need Deep Cut pls 🤞) or ToTK?
Maybe something of a recent popular third party game on Switch?

maybe… revisiting a scrapped spirit idea? (Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps come to mind esp since the former got added to NSO last week)

or maybe even something completely out of left field like with Warframe?
Good question! Maybe 4 Mario events

Princess Peach Showtime
Mario vs Donkey Kong
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
Paper Mario TYD

Or one that hits all 4 ? Idk...

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
To briefly touch on Sans again, I don't see why he would have to strictly be based on a single route. I could easily see him having a bunch of basic/goofy moves for his tilts and aerials and then for the moves that are supposed to be strong like Smash attacks he could pull out the Gaster Blasters and whatnot. Most of his move set could be reflective of his easy going, joking loving personality, but still have a few "serious" strong attacks for closing out stocks or turning the tide.

You may not fight him on the intended pacifist route but that doesn't mean he doesn't have access to the abilities he displays in his genocide boss fight. The scenario that plays out just never calls for it. Similarly, if they want to reflect that in Smash, he can be mostly silly, but still be able to use his other abilities for the sake of "getting serious" to win the fight.

The level of accuracy a character has to their origin is always something to discuss, but if being more accurate is unfeasible or makes for a worse experience, then it's okay to diverge and improvise a bit. I think we could argue the same about his whole dying in 1 hit deal. Plus, being that hung up on lore accuracy doesn't really fly in a case like Smash Bros. anyway. These characters wouldn't be able to interact at all otherwise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom