• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Re: the Sega stuff

To keep it brief since others have already given most of my thoughts, I want to support risky ventures to cater to the diehard fans like this, and tentatively will pick up all five. However, it's Sega, so I still need to see how these games end up looking and playing closer to launch... they could all be stinkers. Or lean way too hard into GaaS. And then I'm out.

What I will say is that conceptually, this is awesome. I mean, I am part of the demographic this is for. Not even the biggest Sega fan (and most of my favorite old Sega IP aren't here), but just someone that appreciates both how wild it is to get so many classic revivals at once and that this is as much for the old school fans as trying to get these IP to catch on with newer gamers. Which, tbh... is a daunting task.

I wonder if they're doing some, like, A24 approach where they make all these games in hopes one will get big enough to offset the cost of the others, and then they can focus on that IP going forward.

And Smash-wise, this increases the chances these series get some sort of supporting content, but past that, we need to see how they actually fare.

It really just made me fantasize about Nintendo doing this, though. They wouldn't... but ****, imagine if they did.
BAM Kid Icarus
BAM Takamaru game
BAM Golden Sun
BAM Custom Robo
BAM F-Zero
and we have more coming later ok bye

I'd probably legitimately fall out of my chair and hurt myself because I popped off too quickly.
BAM Punch-Out!!

I just had to add that to it.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
All that said, I'm very curious what else Sega has in store when at the end they said, "And More." What other possible old series are you hiding from us, Sega?
I hope theres a Sakura wars 7 in there, yeah the series technically isnt dormant but the last game ended on a cliffhanger of sorts and i want to see it resolved

dream1ng

Smash Lord
All that said, I'm very curious what else Sega has in store when at the end they said, "And More." What other possible old series are you hiding from us, Sega?
I still think Virtua Fighter makes sense, in part because I don't think much else is likely.

I don't think they're returning to Shenmue. I don't think we're far enough from the stink of Balan to try NiGHTS. I don't think they'd allocate the budget necessary for Skies of Arcadia. I would be surprised if we got OutRun and Crazy Taxi. I'm not sure anyone cares enough about Space Channel 5. Seaman would obviously be too successful, and then they'd be stuck on it like CoD, so not that either.

House of the Dead, Super Monkey Ball, and Samba de Amigo have already received recent stuff, so those are possible but maybe less likely.

Another possibility is Panzer Dragoon. I don't think the remakes did that great, but they also weren't done very well. Or something related to the classic Phantasy Stars (more for Japan than the west). I guess there could be another Alex Kidd, though that series has already been revived not too long ago.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I mean, wouldn't making a game for that make sense for Space Channel 5 when there is also a movie being planned? Same with Comix Zone.
There's a Space Channel 5 movie being made?! Dear god...
I mean, yeah, I guess a game makes sense now. That way they can both bomb together.

Comix Zone, I forgot about that one. I guess now is the time for that, now that people are starting to get sick of all the comix properties getting films. But a game would still be fun, if done well. And now they can take its unique idea much further with different artstyles.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

To keep it brief since others have already given most of my thoughts, I want to support risky ventures to cater to the diehard fans like this, and tentatively will pick up all five. However, it's Sega, so I still need to see how these games end up looking and playing closer to launch... they could all be stinkers. Or lean way too hard into GaaS. And then I'm out.

What I will say is that conceptually, this is awesome. I mean, I am part of the demographic this is for. Not even the biggest Sega fan (and most of my favorite old Sega IP aren't here), but just someone that appreciates both how wild it is to get so many classic revivals at once and that this is as much for the old school fans as trying to get these IP to catch on with newer gamers. Which, tbh... is a daunting task.

I wonder if they're doing some, like, A24 approach where they make all these games in hopes one will get big enough to offset the cost of the others, and then they can focus on that IP going forward.

And Smash-wise, this increases the chances these series get some sort of supporting content, but past that, we need to see how they actually fare.

It really just made me fantasize about Nintendo doing this, though. They wouldn't... but ****, imagine if they did.
BAM Kid Icarus
BAM Takamaru game
BAM Golden Sun
BAM Custom Robo
BAM F-Zero

I'd probably legitimately fall out of my chair and hurt myself because I popped off too quickly.
BAM Punch-Out!!

BAM! Pilotwings
BAM! Panel de Pon/Puzzle League
BAM! Sin & Punishment
BAM! Wave Race
BAM! 1080
BAM! Starfy
BAM! Kururin
BAM! Cubivore
BAM! Jet Impulse
BAM! Hotel Dusk
BAM! Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents
BAM! Rhythm Heaven
BAM! Tomato Adventure
BAM! Joy Mech Fight
BAM! Project Hacker
BAM! Card Hero
BAM! Fossil Fighters
BAM! Style Savvy
BAM! Jam with the Band
BAM! Eternal Darkness
BAM! Geist
BAM! Excite
BAM! StarTropics
BAM! Gumshoe
BAM! Tin Star
BAM! Endless Ocean
BAM! Cruis'n

Just wanted to add a few here and there, you know.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as what else Sega might have in the pipeline, just guesswork... but maybe a new entry in one of the various Shining series.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

BAM Kid Icarus
BAM Takamaru game
BAM Golden Sun
BAM Custom Robo
BAM F-Zero

BAM Punch-Out!!

BAM! Pilotwings
BAM! Panel de Pon/Puzzle League
BAM! Sin & Punishment
BAM! Wave Race
BAM! 1080
BAM! Starfy
BAM! Kururin
BAM! Cubivore
BAM! Jet Impulse
BAM! Hotel Dusk
BAM! Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents
BAM! Rhythm Heaven
BAM! Tomato Adventure
BAM! Joy Mech Fight
BAM! Project Hacker
BAM! Card Hero
BAM! Fossil Fighters
BAM! Style Savvy
BAM! Jam with the Band
BAM! Eternal Darkness
BAM! Geist
BAM! Excite
BAM! StarTropics
BAM! Gumshoe
BAM! Tin Star
BAM! Endless Ocean
BAM! Cruis'n

Just wanted to add a few here and there, you know.
what no chibi-robo?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Has anyone noticed the big lack of 2d Zelda Representation in Smash?
Other than spirits, music and one stage from the game where handheld stages were the focus theres Nothing!
Which honestly is another reason to keep toon link and give him the lokomo or Four sword! Make Toon Link the 2d Zelda Link!
Or how about adding some 2d enemys to the next level mode? Like other than pixelated cuccos all enemys in smash come from 3d Came even Octoroks who 100% should be based on the 2d Games (because in smash they walk arround and dont hide) Bubbles and Peahats make some sense being based on the 2d games too?
Also why didnt smash run have chu chus? Theyre pretty iconic!
I might do a full zelda content wishlist at some point!

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Honestly this was one of the better years for TGA reveal-wise personally - A new trailer for Metaphor and P3R, a new Monster Hunter, a billion Sega games, Mana, etc., it's never really been as catered to me before.

But the way they treated the developers felt very off. Like, unless you're a major celebrity or a personal friend of Geoff's, you get interrupted by loud music and shepherded off the stage after about 5 seconds. All to make way for Kojima to say absolutely nothing about his new game, someone to moan about his foot, and a billion adverts.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
But the way they treated the developers felt very off. Like, unless you're a major celebrity or a personal friend of Geoff's, you get interrupted by loud music and shepherded off the stage after about 5 seconds. All to make way for Kojima to say absolutely nothing about his new game, someone to moan about his foot, and a billion adverts.
There’s a image of the teleprompter telling devs to “please wrap it up”.
Notably it was used on Eiji Aonuma

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
There’s a image of the teleprompter telling devs to “please wrap it up”.
Notably it was used on Eiji Aonuma
I went insane over the course of the night but I genuinely think seeing that was what broke me. I was 100% expecting them to play dubstep over the game of the year announcement so we could have a special appearance from elmo or something. At least there were women on stage this time, which is an improvement over summer games fest.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I went insane over the course of the night but I genuinely think seeing that was what broke me.
As a bonus, it wasn’t just Aonuma it happened too as it apparently happened to Sam Lake, who went up twice for Alan Wake 2. Neil Druckmann (Last of Us HBO show) joked that “the clock is ticking”.

I chose to skip the awards and ended up fdoing other things and watching a anime on Disney+, glad to see the “TGA standard” is alive and well.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As a bonus, it wasn’t just Aonuma it happened too as it apparently happened to Sam Lake, who went up twice for Alan Wake 2. Neil Druckmann (Last of Us HBO show) joked that “the clock is ticking”.

I chose to skip the awards and ended up fdoing other things and watching a anime on Disney+, glad to see the “TGA standard” is alive and well.
how was the anime?

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman

Yeah I saw the first person mention it right after the first (maybe second?) major award. I had it on in the background with a bingo card to see how bad it was (I got a bingo), because there was no way I could sit through something like that normally.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I haven’t really been too interested in watching the game awards in recent years. It definitely seems like they have one preferred style of game that almost always wins and everything else gets neglected. I think it was crazy that Octopath Traveller 2 wasn’t even in the running for soundtrack of the year last time. Same goes for Xenoblade 3 and Shredder’s Revenge. When I did watch, it was always for the reveals and not the awards themselves. Now I just check later to see what the game announcements were.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t know if it’s just me but the awards tend to have the opposite intended effect on me. Constantly seeing the same single player, cinematic style of game win every year somehow makes me less interested in playing them. It’s definitely harder for me to get excited about them. I’m sure a lot of them are technically great games but it gets tiring seeing them win every year.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don’t know if it’s just me but the awards tend to have the opposite intended effect on me. Constantly seeing the same single player, cinematic style of game win every year somehow makes me less interested in playing them. It’s definitely harder for me to get excited about them. I’m sure a lot of them are technically great games but it gets tiring seeing them win every year.
Doesn't Baldur's Gate 3 have a multiplayer mode?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Does it? I guess I spoke too soon then if that’s the case. It just looks like that same genre of game so I may have grouped it in prematurely. My mistake if so. I might be somewhat interested if it was local multiplayer but that seems to be a dying feature these days.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So what does everyone think of Atlus's new game Metaphor?

It looks more like a Shin megami tensei X Fire emblem than the actual Shin Megami tensei x Fire embem

osby

Smash Obsessed
Does it? I guess I spoke too soon then if that’s the case. It just looks like that same genre of game so I may have grouped it in prematurely. My mistake if so. I might be somewhat interested if it was local multiplayer but that seems to be a dying feature these days.
I don't know which genre you mean but I felt it was one of the more unique games that won the award in a while - being a turn-based RPG based on a tabletop system.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman

It looks more like a Shin megami tensei X Fire emblem than the actual Shin Megami tensei x Fire embem
As a huge ATLUS fan, I am very excited for it. The same team behind P3-5 (and some of the team behind SMT3) working on a fantasy RPG is about as good of a pitch for a game as I can get really. Although going off ATLUS' past games and the way this one is being presented, I wouldn't be surprised if the setting ends up being significantly more modern than they're letting on.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Yes it has multiplayer, like the 1st and 2nd Balder's Gate do. And it's far from something like the Last of Us or Metal Gear Solid in terms of the cinematic-like. The biggest selling point is the whole amount of freedom of what you can do in it and how it rewards you for doing even some crazy stuff. Probably the closest representation of the tabletop Dungeons and Dragons.
Also helps that the team personally connected with alot of it's beta players and taking feedback when developing the game, compared to most developers simply asking questions and taking feedback from those.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't know which genre you mean but I felt it was one of the more unique games that won the award in a while - being a turn-based RPG based on a tabletop system.
I’ll have to give it another look because it seems like I was mistaken about what kind of game it was. I imagined it was another game like the Witcher or Dragon Age. Those games along with other cinematic single player games like The Last of Us and God of War always tend to dominate the awards. I like those games in theory but I just get tired of seeing so many similar types of games always win by default. I also tend to prefer more stylistic art direction compared to the photorealism many modern games aim for. I admit that a lot of it is probably due to my own ignorance and bias so I should probably look into the games further before jumping to conclusions. I guess that old saying “ never judge a book by its cover” has a lot of merit here.

I actually really liked two old Baldur’s Gate games on PlayStation 2 that played a lot like Diablo 3, Gauntlet Legends, or Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Those games had simultaneous local co-op and were a lot of fun. If this game is anything like that one, perhaps I should give it a shot.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
It looks and sounds really good. I think it's shaping up a pretty unique fantasy RPG from presentation alone and there's some pretty big talent behind it, even aside from the Persona devs.

I don't quite feel the story and characters yet (though character designs are cool) because we know so little but they're probably saving up some reveals until later. I'm interested in learning what Archetypes are, at least.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well the game awards is a very crass affair so who can blame you.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
well the game awards is a very crass affair so who can blame you.
Yeah, I guess it even led me to prematurely write off games that even have a similar aesthetic as something I wouldn’t be interested in but I see that’s not always accurate and I might be missing out on a fun game before giving it much of a chance. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I guess it even led me to prematurely write off games that even have a similar aesthetic as something I wouldn’t be interested in but I see that’s not always accurate and I might be missing out on a fun game before giving it much of a chance. Apologies for the misunderstanding.
what misunderstanding?

Ivander

Smash Legend
I actually really liked two old Baldur’s Gate games on PlayStation 2 that played a lot like Diablo 3, Gauntlet Legends, or Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Those games had simultaneous local co-op and were a lot of fun. If this game is anything like that one, perhaps I should give it a shot.
Ah, Balder's Gate Dark Alliance, the Diablo/Dungeon Crawler game. Also had a sequel with Dark Alliance 2. But yeah, those were good games.
That said, they definitely rode on the popularity of Balder's Gate 1 and 2 on PC, which were a huge deal when they came out and were made by Bioware at it's peak before being bought by EA. As someone who played those and really put some hours into the first game, I'd highly recommend giving them a try even if they aren't Diablo-style like Dark Alliance.
They are still top-down angle like Dark Alliance and knowing your love of Blizzard games, they do control similarly to games like Starcraft and Warcraft 3, even if they aren't quite RTS. And they are available on modern hardware in the form of the Enhanced Editions and still retain the option for Single Player and multiplayer. And they have a big modding community as well.

Depending on how you feel about those games if you give them a try, they could encourage you to give Balder's Gate 3 a try if you end up liking those.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
what misunderstanding?
About assuming Baldur’s Gate was the same type of game as the Witcher. The funny thing is I bought the Witcher so I don’t have an inherent problem with that type of game either. I actually really liked Horizon too. I think it’s just my problem in that I tend to care less about things that are really popular. I’m not sure why I’m like that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
About assuming Baldur’s Gate was the same type of game as the Witcher. The funny thing is I bought the Witcher so I don’t have an inherent problem with that type of game either. I actually really liked Horizon too. I think it’s just my problem in that I tend to care less about things that are really popular. I’m not sure why I’m like that.
I don’t know what types of games any of them are. but I can understand having trouble liking popular stuff, sometimes it feels like people are trying to tell you what you should like. As for the game awards they only seem to care about the biggest releases rather than the value of a game in its own right. So that’s why I have trouble taking the actual awards part seriously

Top Bottom