• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Side note, I would unironically recommend watching the SeHa girls show because, in terms of being a love letter to SEGA's history, it goes surprisingly hard. Like the writing itself is whatever but some of the references and pulls they make are way beyond what I'd expect from a relatively low-budget show made to push a multimedia project. It's up on the Internet Archive

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Side note, I would unironically recommend watching the SeHa girls show because, in terms of being a love letter to SEGA's history, it goes surprisingly hard. Like the writing itself is whatever but some of the references and pulls they make are way beyond what I'd expect from a relatively low-budget show made to push a multimedia project. It's up on the Internet Archive
Then I might check that out, as I do want to brush up on my SEGA knowledge some more.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
This is never gonna happen in a million years, but if you want a real deep cut Sega stages I would love Rez to have representation. It would be a traveling stage and the music would fit what's happening on screen, kind of what Hanenbow tried to do but pushed to the limits.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Re: irreplaceable stages
I like Peach’s Castle (64), Hyrule Castle, Fountain of Dreams, and Magicant, but I’d be shocked if staples like Temple, Brinstar, Corneria, a Pokemon Stadium, or Smashville don’t come back.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Literally in his NES sprite?

Nah...I prefer the 3D model that he has. I like how they recreated his NES animations with his 3D model.
Yeah, I don't like it when something shows up as a sprite or N64 polygons in Smash.

Seeing a retro thing get an amazing modern model is one of the joys of Smash.

About Kevin Keene from Captain N: The Game Master I don't need to say and write.
Captain N should be a Mii Gunner costume. He was already a self-insert.

Last edited:

Nickthebrick1

Smash Rookie
Hey guys what do you think about this news?

Is this true? Like is Namco really making a studio department to work specifically on the Nintendo side of things? If so, what do you think about this and the chances of a new smash game coming to fruition?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Maybe I should have clarified. Like now there is like a dedicated team with Nintendo and that they have experience on working with smash, would the workload be easier and more efficient than ever before?
well NB have worked with nintendo on quite a few of their games not just smash.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Assuming a new Smash is in active development or will be soon, are we expecting an announcement of the game alongside the reveal of the next Nintendo console? Not that it would necessarily release at launch, but we could start the reveal trailers around that time and it could be released later on. Smash or no Smash, I’m pretty excited to see what big games are revealed for the next console.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Assuming a new Smash is in active development or will be soon, are we expecting an announcement of the game alongside the reveal of the next Nintendo console? Not that it would necessarily release at launch, but we could start the reveal trailers around that time and it could be released later on. Smash or no Smash, I’m pretty excited to see what big games are revealed for the next console.
I'm only expecting that if they are going the "Ultimate Deluxe" route.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Hey guys what do you think about this news?

Is this true? Like is Namco really making a studio department to work specifically on the Nintendo side of things? If so, what do you think about this and the chances of a new smash game coming to fruition?
This announcement will likely increase bamco's investment portfolio, publicly revealing their in house structure and collaboration with Nintendo and showcasing the AAA titles they've worked on. It also could means that they intend to work on future installments of said titles. Especially Mario Kart and Smash. The timing would suggest that development for these games is starting to take shape, and that we could easily see a new console with Kart as a launch title. Smash will probably need an additional year though.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
personally i hope sak's working on something brand new

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
In this scenario, I think full sized reveal trailers are still pretty far off. But I also think they might announce the game with a smaller teaser or just flat out say to the press that a new Smash is in development so that people know to expect it down the road, even if that ends up being a year or two post-system launch.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Forgive me for asking this, but is there a reason you changed the message I wrote? Because as you know I wrote this:
For the non-video game characters but related Nintendo I'd say something that I'm sure everyone has thought of is the following about moves they could have been based off of somewhere:

For Daitouryou and Tengu from the Nintendo hanafuda cards to have moves based on the hanafuda cards.

For Mini Kangaroo to have moves based on various board games and some toys released by Nintendo at the time.

About the Nester from Nintendo Power magazine I'm not sure.

About Kevin Keene from Captain N: The Game Master I don't need to say and write.

But what I can't think of is their Final Smashes.
But what I can't think about are their Final Smashes.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't anticipate a proper new Smash announcement until sometime in 2025 or even 2026, under the assumption late 2024 establishes the framework for a new console and has a healthy diet of other first party hits to live off of in the meantime. We may get a surprise teaser like with Ultimate or simply get confirmation that a new Smash is happening at an undetermined date, like Smash 4.

We're also to believe that Sakurai hasn't been actively working on the project. We've speculated that he may be beginning the project plan around this time, but it's a fairly loose assumption. Even if that Namco job listing is about Smash Bros, they could just be getting people on deck for whenever the game does reach the development stage independent from Sakurai. We do know that in the past, Nintendo has called for a new Smash Bros on their own terms and Sakurai just answered the call. In any case 2025 is a best case scenario to hear any concrete information in this extremely early stage, if any stage at all.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I wonder how much money it costs to make a Smash trailer, or the cost for all of the ones we had during Ultimate, both for character reveals and for World of Light. They’re some of the best animated cutscenes for video games period. We only got a taste of the crossover potential from the scarce World of Light cutscenes.

I’d kill to double or triple the amount of crossover material we have in the next game. People eat that **** up, including me. :takeit:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don't see the point of announcing a Smash game this early. This isn't like Prime 4 where the announcement was surprising because the franchise had been in hiatus for a decade. We know a Smash game will come, it's a staple of Nintendo consoles at this point. No need for teasing, I'd rather wait 2 years and have a good first look at the game with gameplay and have a 1 year gap between announcement and release similar to Smash 4. And I'm sure Nintendo will have plenty of other stuff to keep fans interested in a new consoles (Monolith soft rpg, Mario 3d, Mario kart, maybe Astral chain 2 or something).

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I don't see the point of announcing a Smash game this early. This isn't like Prime 4 where the announcement was surprising because the franchise had been in hiatus for a decade. We know a Smash game will come, it's a staple of Nintendo consoles at this point. No need for teasing, I'd rather wait 2 years and have a good first look at the game with gameplay and have a 1 year gap between announcement and release similar to Smash 4. And I'm sure Nintendo will have plenty of other stuff to keep fans interested in a new consoles (Monolith soft rpg, Mario 3d, Mario kart, maybe Astral chain 2 or something).
Well, if we're being technical, they announced Smash 4 was a thing that existed at E3 2011 even though development basically didn't start until after Kid Icarus Uprising was done, and we didn't get the first trailer until E3 2013 lol

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Well, if we're being technical, they announced Smash 4 was a thing that existed at E3 2011 even though development basically didn't start until after Kid Icarus Uprising was done, and we didn't get the first trailer until E3 2013 lol
Oh yeah you're right, I forgot about the 2011 announcement.

Still, I just don't get the point of announcing game this early. It make sense in some context, but Smash isn't one of those.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Oh yeah you're right, I forgot about the 2011 announcement.

Still, I just don't get the point of announcing game this early. It make sense in some context, but Smash isn't one of those.
It might if they're going down the path of doing an Ultimate port.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Sorry if it sounds a little rude, but I really hope people stop talking about porting Ultimate / Ultimate DX soon.

With the Switch successor presumably maintaining a similar model, if they don't want to let go of Smash Ultimate it would make much more sense to simply start a third wave of DLC. The unlikely alternative that people are pitching is a full-on rerelease with content that was likely only possible because it could be sold as DLC and the rights holders could make residuals. It would absolutely be in their best interest to continue building on the game, particularly one that sold over 20 million copies, rather than anticipating a fraction of the audience to buy the same game again on a console that will not be selling Switch numbers immediately out of the gate. Or... well, make a new game.

I get that in a perfect world we can keep building on the ultimate Smash experience, but we have to get real soon. If we really aren't ready to accept it then it's better to just hypothesize another DLC pass scenario - hey, it happened years later with Mario Kart anyway.

Last edited:

ShotoStar

Smash Cadet
No matter what happens, I want Nintendo to do at least SOMETHING special for Smash’s 25th anniversary.
I think the most we can expect is an official Smash 64 port to NSO + online support and mayyyybe somewhere late in the year there'll be backroom reports of Nintendo starting development on a new Smash at absolute most. I don't think we should be expecting Nintendo to do anything of the sort since they usually don't iirc. I still expect Next Smash to release late 2026 so maybe a 2025 reveal if we're lucky

Nickthebrick1

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, what do you think about a grand theft auto character or Tetris character getting in smash? I read that both titles were second and third of the highest selling right behind Minecraft. GTA has plenty of protag characters to use and while I understand the blocks in tetris can be difficult to craft a moveset for I believe it can be done. What about your thoughts on that?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Hey guys, what do you think about a grand theft auto character or Tetris character getting in smash? I read that both titles were second and third of the highest selling right behind Minecraft. GTA has plenty of protag characters to use and while I understand the blocks in tetris can be difficult to craft a moveset for I believe it can be done. What about your thoughts on that?
A bunch of Tetris blocks forming a mech of sorts could be neat, but that's also not what people usually intend for such an idea. Otherwise, I can't say I've much interest in the prospect. I'd much rather just have a Tetris stage or maybe even an assist trophy that drops blocks on any stage.

I know GTA is a big/popular series as well, but I like the idea even less. If we get a normal human with firearms, I'd much rather have someone like Lara Croft. I also genuinely don't see Nintendo going for it. Aside from that, I will admit I'm biased against the series. I've nothing against the actual games, just not my cup of tea, and a character from GTA just seems like a really bland choice that doesn't quite fit with the rest of the cast. I know that sounds odd despite how wide of a net Smash has cast so far, but I personally see stuff like CoD, GTA, etc. being outside Smash's wheelhouse so to speak.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
if we're gonna have scottish characters in smash i'd rather it be a lemming

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Tetris I could definitely see getting a stage eventually and it's actually baffling that it didn't happen already, but I don't see more than that.

Gta I don't see hapening either. Maybe a spirits event (or wathever the next Smash collectibles is going to be) at best, but I'd be shocked if it got more than that, let alone a character. It's just doesn't strike me as the type of character Nintendo would go for. I think it would be super hard to respect the franchise themes and characters while keeping the age rating of Smash.

Top Bottom