• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

dezeray112

Smash Hero
tbh i would rather see a Darkstalkers rep before we get another street fighter character they do more than just kick and fist ya know i think Ryu and Ken are good enough street fighter representation for now
If there were any Darkstalkers rep that I would like to see in Smash, I would either opt for Demitri Maximoff, Morrigan Aensland or B.B. Hood.

Still waiting for a new entry within the Darkstalkers series.

Kyle's Ryu voice is too iconic.
Throw in Jessica Strauss' Juri as well.

But other than that in addition to Kyle Hebert and Jessica Strauss, the other VA's that were retained for Street Fighter 6 include Caitlin Glass (Cammy), Joe Romersa (Zangief), Ian Sinclair (Rashid) and Aleks Le (Luke if that counts since he did appear in Street Fighter V's final season pass.)

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
If there were any Darkstalkers rep that I would like to see in Smash, I would either opt for Demitri Maximoff, Morrigan Aensland or B.B. Hood.

Still waiting for a new entry within the Darkstalkers series.
i personally see Demitri as Assist Trophy material because of his Midnight Bliss move, but a Darkstalker character in general sounds cool.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Isn’t Midnight Bliss the Rule 63 move

that would take a LOT of coding and model swaps… and would be redundant against characters with male and female alts imo

HyperSomari64

Smash Master

that would take a LOT of coding and model swaps… and would be redundant against characters with male and female alts imo
Just remember when Morrigan turns into a poorly drawn little girl.
I can see a lot of references with such move. (like turning Palutena into Pseudo-Palutena)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Trust me, it would be SO worth it just for the possible references.

Imagine if THIS is how Bowsette becomes canon...

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I suppose one way to get around Midnight Bliss is to censor it in a way by (getting rid of the blood, obviously, and) having the camera face Demitri the entire time.
Well, it can cover the screen in pitch black like in Capcom Fighting Jam, but let's pretend that game never existed.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
You can simply not have the foe get changed by Midnight Bliss, they've done it before in other games. If they're fine with Shulk's Monado Buster not actually being Monado Buster and awkwardly giving him another party member in his chain attack even though XC1 only allows for three party members then Midnight Bliss is fine without the transforming thing.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The characters from Darkstalkers who would be picked for smash are too sexy meaning they will never be in smash.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Here are the ideal guest characters I’d pick for Mario Kart (including those who’ve already appeared):
Captain Falcon, Dr. Stewart, Pico, Samurai Goroh

Not if they add the Super Crown as an item. Then they can repurpose all of those forms.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I think people are really sleeping on the idea of additional reps for third-party series that already in Smash, especially now that Sephiroth is a thing. Really, only Sonic's supporting cast and Chun-Li get a lot of consideration. Mega Man and Castlevania in particular are full of good choices. Persona, Metal Gear, Tekken, and Fatal Fury/King of Fighters also have a lot to potentially work with. There are a lot of strong candidates that may not break the bank in the same way that getting fully new franchises into Smash would.

I would personally lose my **** in the best way possible if X and Zero somehow both made it into the next Smash game.
If Persona got another character before SMT got one I'd cry (well probably not, I'd just be slightly disappointed lol). I'm assuming it'd be the P3MC because of Reload (which should be getting a trailer today actually), and I absolutely love P3 so I wouldn't mind that much (although I don't see how they could represent the evokers in smash).

Obviously, going by my signature, if they somehow chose a classic persona character I'd be unbelievably happy, but there's no way that'd ever happen...

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I think people are really sleeping on the idea of additional reps for third-party series that already in Smash, especially now that Sephiroth is a thing. Really, only Sonic's supporting cast and Chun-Li get a lot of consideration. Mega Man and Castlevania in particular are full of good choices. Persona, Metal Gear, Tekken, and Fatal Fury/King of Fighters also have a lot to potentially work with. There are a lot of strong candidates that may not break the bank in the same way that getting fully new franchises into Smash would.

I would personally lose my **** in the best way possible if X and Zero somehow both made it into the next Smash game.
Knowing Alucard was supposed to be playable in Ultimate, I honestly would’ve gone with Simon and Alucard as the Castlevania reps for Ultimate.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You can tell how much Internet Bowsette brainrot has affected people when people assume the supercrown swaps your gender when its original use was making Toadette look like Peach specifically.
Which is what it should do in Smash. Turns your character into "Peach with a new hat". Just like Kirby.

But you can still reuse all those Peach forms for Midnight Bliss.

Ivander

Smash Legend
You can tell how much Internet Bowsette brainrot has affected people when people assume the supercrown swaps your gender when its original use was making Toadette look like Peach specifically.
They'd still do it even if they didn't have any brainrot(aka they know it only affects Toadette). Like most concepts that are only exclusive to one or a few characters, but people still draw artwork of characters in that concept despite being unable to. And besides, the original comic and idea was a good ol' time.

And yeah, Midnight Bliss neither needs the genderswapping nor does it necessarily only genderswap, since for the female characters, it just gives them a different outfit or can possibly change them dramatically(like Morrigan's or separates Mei-Ling from Hsein-Ko.). Heck, in Huitzil's case, it also makes them human. Midnight Bliss is surprisingly quite versatile.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
You can simply not have the foe get changed by Midnight Bliss, they've done it before in other games. If they're fine with Shulk's Monado Buster not actually being Monado Buster and awkwardly giving him another party member in his chain attack even though XC1 only allows for three party members then Midnight Bliss is fine without the transforming thing.
Doesn't that kind of defeat the point of having Midnight Bliss in the first place though? Take away the transformations and Midnight Bliss is a relatively boring command grab super. Not exactly Assist Trophy worthy, especially when Zangief and Mike Haggar have dramatic, over-the-top throws that would be perfect for an assist trophy that grabs you.

The other workaround is to just do Vampire Savior did with the female characters and have the Smash cast transform into joke forms, but even that might be a massive undertaking from a licensing standpoint. Maybe have each Smash character transform into their original appearance (e.g. Mario turns into his Jumpman sprite from Donkey Kong, Cloud becomes his PS1 model, etc.)?

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
We wouldn't even have Kirby's neutral work as it does if they now had to add it instead of gradually building it up over time. Let alone adding Midnight Bliss now. It's funny how every so often you can sense past Sakurai's stoicism that dealing with that move ended up being a lot more than he expected.

And that's without factoring in how you'd never be able to get all the IP holders to sign off on having their characters genderswapped, including and probably at the forefront... Nintendo themselves. Or the fact that I'm sure Sakurai has no desire whatsoever to spend additional time going back and forth with CERO over censorship.

But yeah I gotta agree that if you're not doing the genderswap effect, why even bother adding not just Midnight Bliss, but Demitri as an AT at all.

Knowing Alucard was supposed to be playable in Ultimate, I honestly would’ve gone with Simon and Alucard as the Castlevania reps for Ultimate.
"Supposed to be playable" is... a little generous. I don't think he ever got past consideration.

Also that would be cool sure but it also would've come at the expense of another original character.

I mean I would've preferred Ryu and Chun Li over Ryu and Ken, but... it's not exactly 1:1.

Which is what it should do in Smash. Turns your character into "Peach with a new hat". Just like Kirby.

But you can still reuse all those Peach forms for Midnight Bliss.
If the Supercrown and Midnight Bliss are creating the same form for the character, one isn't being used properly.

You can tell how much Internet brainrot has affected people when Bowsette

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If the Supercrown and Midnight Bliss are creating the same form for the character, one isn't being used properly.
The Super Crown turns people into Peach. Midnight Bliss turns people into maidens. Peach is a maiden. Ergo, Midnight Bliss turning people into Peach is an acceptable interpretation.

So people can either stop being so anal...or we can just not have Demitri at all.

Ivander

Smash Legend
If you ever thought Mai Shiranui, Bayonetta, any character with sex appeal as part of their character, have it tough with some people not looking past their sex appeal to see there's more to their character than that, imagine being Demitri from Darkstalkers, the character who people reduce to a genderswapping suave and feel there's no point in him appearing anywhere without his trademark genderswapping.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
The Super Crown turns people into Peach. Midnight Bliss turns people into maidens. Peach is a maiden. Ergo, Midnight Bliss turning people into Peach is an acceptable interpretation.
Nintendo makes video games. Rockstar makes Grand Theft Auto. Grand Theft Auto is a video game. Ergo, Nintendo makes Grand Theft Auto.

Bulletproof

So people can either stop being so anal...or we can just not have Demitri at all.
Sakurai: ok now we need to make sure every terrain across all the stages corresponds to a fitting Minecraft material

Dev team: across all the versions of the Minecraft stage, right?

Sakurai: No we're going back across every stage in the game

Dev team: but there's over 100-

Sakurai: and then we're going to give each kind a unique mining sequence of between four to seven materials

Dev team: oh haha good joke Sakurai, you had us for a minute

Sakurai: we're also mapping all the walls

Dev team: wait-

Sakurai:

Yeah he seems like the kinda guy who'd be fine with this

Peach is a maiden
😏

Hey I know a netflix and chill when I see one

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice
imagine being Demitri from Darkstalkers, the character who people reduce to a genderswapping suave and feel there's no point in him appearing anywhere without his trademark genderswapping.
If they can't do the funny genderswap, why not just pick a different darkstalker, one where they don't have to compromise the aspects that define their character?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Dimitri's genderswapping is just one of many uses of Midnight Bliss. It's a popular one, but is an actual varied move. However, said varied move requires tons of model changes no matter what direction you go(and it being more of joke transformations makes more sense than hefty genderswapping or making them super sexy. The former isn't the worst thing in the world, but the latter is much more difficult to justify in this kind of game as is. Either way, as I said before, there's too much required to make anything work).

...The Super Crown is nothing like that in comparison, as it just is literally supposed to turn someone into Peach. Which means minor model changes at best with things like colors/textures. It's still a lot of work either way, but it's significantly smaller of an idea. It has no actual variation to go with. The fan concept of turning anyone into a cute(or sexy) girl is neat, but has no applications at this time. There's a huge difference between taking some liberties(of which every move that takes one still resembles the original with no exceptions) and making it 100% different from how it works. If the Super Crown sees more use with different results, then the idea might have merit. But it's not an actual official concept in any way and the lack of variation.

Long story? The concepts are different as night and day. Both being transformative things doesn't mean they work in any similar way.

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
I think Chun Li would be cool, but I’m also fearful that people who don’t pay attention to other games and the FGC will just say “She’s just :ultzss: but better” 💀

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
If you ever thought Mai Shiranui, Bayonetta, any character with sex appeal as part of their character, have it tough with some people not looking past their sex appeal to see there's more to their character than that, imagine being Demitri from Darkstalkers, the character who people reduce to a genderswapping suave and feel there's no point in him appearing anywhere without his trademark genderswapping.
There's more to Dimitri as a character than Midnight Bliss, but an assist trophy of Dimitri that only does Midnight Bliss is probably not worth the effort if they don't implement Midnight Bliss in an engaging way. It's like adding Sub-Zero as an assist trophy, designing his assist trophy to do his iconic spine fatality from Mortal Kombat 1 (the arcade game, not the reboot), but he just punches you in the head instead of doing the full move because that's how you get past the censors.

There is a lot more to these characters, but when you design their appearance solely around their most iconic move, I think it's fair game to assess their hypothetical implementation on how well that move would actually work.

I told myself I wasn't going to bring this up, but if Rikou is seen as sexy, that's on the staff and the playerbase.

Then again, we can just add Sidon to the roster if sex appeal is what's holding all the Darkstalkers back.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I told myself I wasn't going to bring this up, but if Rikou is seen as sexy, that's on the staff and the playerbase.

Then again, we can just add Sidon to the roster if sex appeal is what's holding all the Darkstalkers back.
I just looked up Rikou on Google and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with his design that would make him unsuitable for Smash. He doesn’t seem any worse than a typical Zora. Most of the Darkstalker designs seem fine. It’s just Morrigan and Felicia that might have issues but they could always alter their design a bit like they did with Mythra to be suitable for younger audiences.

Last edited:
I just looked up Rikou on Google and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with his design that would make him unsuitable for Smash. He doesn’t seem any worse than a typical Zora. Most of the Darkstalker designs seem fine. It’s just Morrigan and Felicia that might have issues but they could always alter their design a bit like they did with Mythra to be suitable for younger audiences.
Glad we can leave the "Darkstalkers too preverted for Smash" debacle behind for the most part.
Fun fact: Rikuo being called "curiously attractive for a fishman" was a running gag in the Western cartoon.

Which was meant for kids, by the way.
That's exactly what I was referring to, which is why I said I didn't want to bring up that cartoon.

Top Bottom