• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
In regards to Nintendo characters:
Bandanna Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, Raven Beak, Krystal, and a LoZ character

In regards to 3rd party:
Leon Kennedy, Dante, Shantae, Doomslayer, and a Mortal Kombat character

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Aaronitmar released another video on SSBU's Classic Mode.
It got me curious; which routes would you guys change?
  • Samus: Rathalos as the Final Round boss
  • Fox: Marx as the Final Round boss
  • Ness: Marx as the Final Round boss
  • Jigglypuff: Master Hand following the Giant DK in the Final Round
  • Peach: Ridley in Round 6, Bowser/Giga Bowser as the Final Round boss
  • Daisy: A route about fighting every Mario and Mario-adjacent character, with Bowser/Giga Bowser
  • Sheik: Galleom as the Final Round boss
  • Dr. Mario: Marx as the Final Round boss
  • Falco: A route about fighting characters with more than two jumps, with Rathalos as the Final Round boss
  • Ganondorf: A route where you fight every character who debuted in Melee, with Bowser/Giga Bowser as the Final Round boss
  • Roy: Ganon as the Final Round boss
  • Mr. Game & Watch: A route about going back in time from the Switch era to the NES era, with Dracula as the Final Round boss
  • Meta Knight: Marx as the Final Round boss
  • Pit: Dracula as the Final Round boss
  • Wario: A route about three-way fights between Wario certain heroes and villains, with Dracula as the Final Round boss
  • Ike: Dracula as the Final Round boss
  • Sonic: A route where you fight every character who debuted in Brawl, with Galleom as the Final Round boss
  • King Dedede: Ganon as the Final Round boss
  • Olimar: A route about opponents larger than Olimar, with Bowser/Giga Bowser as the Final Round boss
  • R.O.B.: A route recreating the Subspace Emissary, with Galleom as the Round 4 boss, Wario in Round 5, Bowser in Round 6, and Ganondorf in the Final Round
  • Toon Link: A route with a team of 4 Toon Links fighting another team of 4 opponents, with Ganon as the Final Round boss
  • Wii Fit Trainer: Bowser/Giga Bowser as the Final Round boss
  • Little Mac: A route more closely based on the Punch-Out games
  • Mii Fighters: A route about fighting opponents based on the three Mii Fighter classes
  • Robin: A route about fighitng opponents based on Robin's tomes
  • Cloud: A route about fighting Sm4sh's DLC characters
  • Richter: Crazy Hand as the Final Round boss, folloeing a battle against Simon
  • King K. Rool: A route about fighting protagonists with the help of fellow villains
  • Joker: A route about fighting characters based on the seven deadly sins
  • Hero: A route about fighting characters from JRPG's
  • Banjo-Kazooie: A route about notable appearances on the N64, with Ganon as the Final Round boss
  • Byleth: A route referencing Fire Emblem gameplay mechanics
  • Min Min: A route about fighters with slowly increasing range each round, with Galleom as the Final Round boss
  • Steve: A route about fighting every 3rd party character in the base game
  • Sephiroth: A route referencing the first 7 Final Fantasy games, with marx as the Round 6 boss and Cloud as the last opponent
  • Pyra / Mythra: A route referencing the Xeno games
  • Sora: A route where you fight every character in the base game
Marx doesn't fit the theme of Ness's route. Ness's route is about playing through the events of Earthbound in reverse, with matches themed around the events of the game, with the player starting in Magicant and ending in Onett. The only change I would make to Ness's route is to have the final battle against Master Hand take place on Omega Form Onett instead of Final Destination (notably DK, Joker, and Sephiroth fight Master Hand on other stages, those being New Donk City Hall, Mementos, and Northern Cave respectively, so this is not out of the question).

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I forgot Sega was also in on the acquisition game:

At least we have an excuse to talk Angry Birds in Smash...
They weren't really big on the acquisition game to be honest, last thing I recall was them buying Amplitude studios in 2016 and Two point studios in 2019.

I'm more surprised that Sega have 1 billion$ to throw on acquisition than anything really. It's like a third of what Sega is worth today.

Personally I still don't see Angry birds as very likely, even Nintendo's mobile games barely had any representation in Smash aside from FE heroes so I'd be shocked to see third party mobile games in Smash, especially because, while still fairly popular, Angry birds peak popularity is over for a long time.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

For me, Angry Birds occupies a bit of a weird spot where I think it deserves Smash representation... just not exactly a playable character.

I know Smash has not pulled from mobile games that much before, but Angry Birds is one of the few games that really represent mobile gaming in the mainstream. This isn't to say that plenty of mobile games haven't done well, but Angry Birds back in 2015 hit over three billion downloads as a series. Angry Birds is undeniably part of the cultural zeitgeist, its massive. While it's star might not be as bright as it was a decade ago, the IP is still doing well, it still has tons of stuff planned for the future.

My main issue is similar to my issue with Tetris: adapting the iconic designs into a character. You would need to take plenty of creative liberties in oder to make an Angry Birds character work. It's just one of those things that I think would be better represented with a stage. Having the characters fight on some pig fortress while the birds destroy part of the stage to take down pigs, that would be neat.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

A bit related, but...

Why is it that Japanese companies can buy outside-of-Japan companies while it is harder to buy companies in Japan from outside of it due to the Japanese government needing to get involved?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
A bit related, but...

Why is it that Japanese companies can buy outside-of-Japan companies while it is harder to buy companies in Japan from outside of it due to the Japanese government needing to get involved?
because britain ruins everything so they got to make sure we don't go on a spending spree

if someone could let me know if that makes any sense

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
A bit related, but...

I... don't know. I tried looking it up, but couldn't find anything.

I know Saudi Arabia has been making moves to buy Japanese game companies, though...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I... don't know. I tried looking it up, but couldn't find anything.

I know Saudi Arabia has been making moves to buy Japanese game companies, though...
Well, all that is interesting.

I certainly hope how buying Japanese companies works to outsiders is not because of any racism from Japan.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Well, all that is interesting.

I certainly hope how buying Japanese companies works to outsiders is not because of any racism from Japan.
"The law requires foreign investors to report to the Japanese government and undergo inspection in case they buy 10% or more of stocks in listed Japanese companies or acquire shares of unlisted firms. If the government finds any shortcomings, it can order foreign investors to change or cancel their investment plans." Reuters - May 26, 2019

So it should be noted that since too big to fail in 2008 most governments of major world economies get involved with mergers and acquisitions. Japan has several unique business etiquettes specifically not going in to things without tons of research and caution, not allowing belligerence, and when combined with their cultural aversion to foreigners, results in today's Japanese economy where they have plenty of purchasing power but aren't selling. So while Sega can buy, buying Sega would be impossible.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
"The law requires foreign investors to report to the Japanese government and undergo inspection in case they buy 10% or more of stocks in listed Japanese companies or acquire shares of unlisted firms. If the government finds any shortcomings, it can order foreign investors to change or cancel their investment plans." Reuters - May 26, 2019

So it should be noted that since too big to fail in 2008 most governments of major world economies get involved with mergers and acquisitions. Japan has several unique business etiquettes specifically not going in to things without tons of research and caution, not allowing belligerence, and when combined with their cultural aversion to foreigners, results in today's Japanese economy where they have plenty of purchasing power but aren't selling. So while Sega can buy, buying Sega would be impossible.
So, by cultural aversion, it is racism?

Either way, this does suck, and seems rather unfair. I wonder how much trouble those in Saudi Arabia, as C chocolatejr9 mentioned, have been having in trying to buy Japanese game companies?

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Did a poll with about 80 votes can I post the results here?

Edit: can you imagine Red in Sega all-star racing?

Last edited:

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Characters from anime, movies, toys, and real life Nazis I didn't count. All votes for my mother went to cooking mama.

First place (4 votes) cooking mama and crash bandicoot

(3 votes) reimu (touhou), skull kid (Zelda), the knight (hollow knight), 2b (nier autonima)

(2 votes) bandana waddle dee, phoenix wright, sol badguy, sceptile/ grovyle, eggman, tails, zero, Noah

(1 vote) Raz, 47, Larharl, Hat kid, Freddy Fazbear, any team fortress 2, master chief, smeargle, mametchi, emolga, morrigan, kamek, big boss, solaire, any Danganronpa, mach rider, ahri (league of legends), waluigi, elma, Todd snap, a2, V1 , professor Layton, Medline, marina Liteyears, jibanyan, impa, Sub-Zero, Geno, battle toads, arle nadja, metal sonic

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Characters from anime, movies, toys, and real life Nazis I didn't count. All votes for my mother went to cooking mama.

First place (4 votes) cooking mama and crash bandicoot

(3 votes) reimu (touhou), skull kid (Zelda), the knight (hollow knight), 2b (nier autonima)

(2 votes) bandana waddle dee, phoenix wright, sol badguy, sceptile/ grovyle, eggman, tails, zero, Noah

(1 vote) Raz, 47, Larharl, Hat kid, Freddy Fazbear, any team fortress 2, master chief, smeargle, mametchi, emolga, morrigan, kamek, big boss, solaire, any Danganronpa, mach rider, ahri (league of legends), waluigi, elma, Todd snap, a2, V1 , professor Layton, Medline, marina Liteyears, jibanyan, impa, Sub-Zero, Geno, battle toads, arle nadja, metal sonic
...If I may ask, what is this responding to?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

If I spent all this time waiting for a new SEGA character in Smash and Arle, Kiryu, Akira, etc wind up having to make room for Angry Goddamn Birds, I would commit a war crime

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I... had a feeling you wouldn't take it well...
For what it's worth I have a feeling that if this acquisition goes through, Rovio will be treated as kind of a separate thing still. Like, I can't quite imagine Angry Birds being embraced by them as part of the "SEGA family" as much as say, Atlus or all the western PC stuff that makes a gajillion monies, you know?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
For what it's worth I have a feeling that if this acquisition goes through, Rovio will be treated as kind of a separate thing still. Like, I can't quite imagine Angry Birds being embraced by them as part of the "SEGA family" as much as say, Atlus or all the western PC stuff that makes a gajillion monies, you know?
Yeah, you're probably right. Though FWIW, Angry Birds Epic DID crossover with Sonic Dash, so feel free to make any appropriate jokes you can come up with.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Most wanted newcomer for smash. Conducted on Google forms
The Nazis? Oskar Dirlewanger from the Dirlewanger birgade and Hitler. Is that why it's highlighted?
Well, actually, I was asking why you specifically mentioned real-life Nazis in the first place when you could've at least said "real-life people".

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Well, actually, I was asking why you specifically mentioned real-life Nazis in the first place when you could've at least said "real-life people".
All the real life people I got were nazis, but I get it if that's tmi

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
For me:
  • Waluigi
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Dr. Eggman
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Estelle Bright
Picsart_23-04-14_22-35-13-037.jpg

The dream team

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I was looking a bit more in the Sega Rovio acquisition and I wonder if they're doing that not only for Angry birds mobile games but also for Rovio animation. Having their own animation studio could be very huge for Sega, because maybe they could ask Rovio animation to make Sonic tv series or Sonic animated movie without having to deal with third parties.

Laniv

Smash Champion
For me:
  • Waluigi
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Dr. Eggman
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Estelle Bright
Toad
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Tom Nook
Klonoa

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i wonder how many people are gonna start supporting tulin for smash after totk. there others will probably see an increase as well i imagine. do recall people saying they like sidon not sure about riju but she certainly is now. what do you guys think?

Top Bottom