• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Switch ( 2 / Pro ) coming this year ... before holiday season !!?

thoughts ?

False. We'd already know about a major console release if it was releasing this year.

Besides, these leaks are a dime a dozen. They're everywhere. I'm not sure why you're looking for all these leaks from sources that aren't even reliable.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Toad seems like the kind of character whose Smash requests could really blow up if he ever gets perceived as likely. Of course you can say that about almost any character but I think it is especially true for Toad, given his existing non-Smash presence and fanbase along with mainstream appeal. In Toad's case specifically, a lot of Smash fans are kind of stuck in thinking of Toad the way Sakurai apparently has so far: as a supporting character who can be adequately represented as part of another's moveset. It is just one case of fans basically stringing themselves along with whatever Sakurai does; because Sakurai holds a lot of respect among fans it can sometimes be difficult to sell everybody on an idea that goes against what he has traditionally done.
In this case, why didn't he get a massive support right after Captain Toad? The timing for Smash 4 was perfect, wasn't it?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Just looking at Nintendo's announced games and DLC for this year makes the prospect of a new generation console unlikely. It makes little sense to release a Breath of the Wild sequel that close to a Switch 2 and not have at least be ported over ala Twilight Princess and BotW.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
In this case, why didn't he get a massive support right after Captain Toad? The timing for Smash 4 was perfect, wasn't it?
He did get a big boost.

But this was also around the time when Mario got two newcomers in Rosalina and Bowser Jr. Rosalina was revealed fairly early and that affected the popularity of a lot of Mario requests.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think most people willing to enter into morally sketchy grounds in order to push their favorite Smash candidate would simply make a fake leak or something...
well i was making it anyway to make sure boris johnson was dragged to prison so i might as well get some use out of it

SPEN18

Smash Champion
That's a good point, but in addition to what was said above, Captain Toad was late 2014 while the project plan for Smash 4 was 2012. So actually it was poor timing for getting into base 4, and poor timing for base Ult.

Really I think the main issue is people getting over the perception that Toad is best suited for a supporting, nonplayable role. Imagine for example if they were to show footage of Peach in the new Smash and Toad was inexplicably missing from the moveset...
To be clear, I think Toad could get in as playable even if he was still a part of Peach (it's not that dissimilar to what happened to Chrom). But something like what I suggested would definitely get people talking about Toad as a legit possibility and not someone they've already made up their minds about.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Toad really got a bad hand when it came to his situation these past two games. Along with the already brought up points with Smash 4, he couldn't really recoup with Ultimate as Toad's increased role in Peach's (and Daisy's) moveset and Captain Toad's cameo in New Donk City immediately took the wind out of his sails. Waluigi also was more prominent after the E3 reveal so much of the spotlight was taken away.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
he couldn't really recoup with Ultimate as Toad's increased role in Peach's (and Daisy's) moveset and Captain Toad's cameo in New Donk City immediately took the wind out of his sails.
Yeah that probably reinforced the whole "Toad is best suited to nonplayable representation" notion all over again.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Going back to the movie. Yeah, I think it could help characters like Toad or Kamek, even Cranky. Simply due to the exposure since it's putting those guys in front of very many sets of eyes.

I haven't seen the movie yet myself, but plan to. Maybe my thoughts will change after seeing it.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
False. We'd already know about a major console release if it was releasing this year.

Besides, these leaks are a dime a dozen. They're everywhere. I'm not sure why you're looking for all these leaks from sources that aren't even reliable.
According the website, that person also leaked some information about Pokemon that turned out to be true. So I wouldn't be so quick to doubt it just yet.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Although very, very exaggerated what I'm writing and definitely will never happen, but in case the new Super Smash Bros. game comes out and also has an Adventure Mode, I was thinking about the final boss there or at least in future Super Smash Bros. games make him have various abilities, be something between organic and mechanical (even at the cellular level), between magic and science, between living and dead (you're ignoring that), between corporeal and incorporeal (also ignore it), also be made of various materials (rock, metal, etc.), to have psychic powers, to control the elements of nature as well as light and darkness and to be a threat to space-time.
The moves of this final boss I imagined are as follows:

Cannon of Light or Cannon of Darkness
Destructive dam
Laser ball
Giant circular saw
Slow time
Flaming tentacles

These are at least what I can think of, I know these are kind of outdated, but I don't know what else to add or change.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
With the possibility of a Switch 2 in the next couple of years I'm wondering what the next Smash game will be like. I'm not expecting them to just port Ultimate due to the possibility that the Switch's successor is backwards compatible with the Switch, meaning that you could play Ultimate as is on it. I'm not expecting a lot of Switch games to be ported to the Switch's successor both due to the Switch being a massive success and also the possibility of backwards compatibility between the new console and the Switch.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I will admit Lucas seems a little forced, even though it makes since in context, but he and Sonic are definitely a welcome surprise.
Oh, oof, they removed the video. I wonder if it's the music or something.

I saw it earlier, and it's a very nice-looking Melee Mod. I know little about it beyond what I just saw, so a few characters in the trailers besides what was introduced.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace

your logic is fantastic.

"We would definitely know it already"
Ignores all the leaks and how Nintendo has no games after Pikmin 4 & how the Switch is miserably underpowered.
Definitely no signs here for Nintendo to be working on releasing a new more powerful upgraded console.

I will admit to some curiosity on ; somehow you believing to know ? ; how Nintendo should market their product.

Ivander

Smash Legend
The movie was really good btw.

And Chunky lives 2023.
His death was...greatly exaggerated. :shades:

That said, certainly wish the whole deal with the DK Rap and Grant Kirkhope not being credited could be given an answer. Everybody is focused on the DK Rap and yet not the Bowser Fury song in the same movie, or the fact that there are plenty of Smash Bros. songs that do the same in just crediting the company owners and the game it came from. I mean, Nobuo Uematsu is not credited once for any of the original Final Fantasy VII songs, including both One Winged Angels. His only Credit appearance is for the Smash Bros. Brawl Main theme.

I don't know why credit wasn't given and an answer and reason why would be nice to be given, but this did not start with the Mario movie and has been a consistent thing in Smash Bros and it's strange that only now it's a big deal.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
your logic is fantastic.

"We would definitely know it already"
Ignores all the leaks and how Nintendo has no games after Pikmin 4 & how the Switch is miserably underpowered.
Definitely no signs here for Nintendo to be working on releasing a new more powerful upgraded console.

I will admit to some curiosity on ; somehow you believing to know ? ; how Nintendo should market their product.
Metroid Prime 4 is still being developed for the Switch. There's also a ton of Nintendo DLC coming to various titles like Pokemon, Splatoon and Mario Kart. There are still first party (and many third party) titles coming. There is still content coming.

As for the supposed absense of titles after Pikmin 4, Nintendo reveals release dates for software in chunks. There have been many periods of time during the Switch's lifespan, where there seemed to be an end to the announced software only for more to be announced in a direct. Remember 2020? There were several times where we had absolutely no idea about upcoming releases barring vague future promises like "The Sequel to the Breath of the Wild," "Bayonetta 3," and "Metroid Prime 4."

Brand new hardware though, that's announced way ahead of time. The Switch was first announced (as the NX) in 2015. The Wii U was announced around a year before its release. So was the Wii. And the Gamecube. See my point? Sure, many details about the Switch weren't revealed until a six months before release (like the name and the main gimmick) but we already had official confirmation it was coming. Nintendo is fairly predictable regarding its hardware releases.

Do I think an announcement of a new console is possible in 2023? Yes. Do I think the console will be released in 2023? No, I don't. I believe that 2024 will be the earliest possible year for an actual release. It is nearing the time for a console upgrade, but I'm confident we are not quite there yet.

Also the Switch was miserably underpowered on release lmao. I wasn't ignoring anything when I made my earlier statement.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Metroid Prime 4 is still being developed for the Switch. There's also a ton of Nintendo DLC coming to various titles like Pokemon, Splatoon and Mario Kart. There are still first party (and many third party) titles coming. There is still content coming.

As for the supposed absense of titles after Pikmin 4, Nintendo reveals release dates for software in chunks. There have been many periods of time during the Switch's lifespan, where there seemed to be an end to the announced software only for more to be announced in a direct. Remember 2020? There were several times where we had absolutely no idea about upcoming releases barring vague future promises like "The Sequel to the Breath of the Wild," "Bayonetta 3," and "Metroid Prime 4."

Brand new hardware though, that's announced way ahead of time. The Switch was first announced (as the NX) in 2015. The Wii U was announced around a year before its release. So was the Wii. And the Gamecube. See my point? Sure, many details about the Switch weren't revealed until a six months before release (like the name and the main gimmick) but we already had official confirmation it was coming. Nintendo is fairly predictable regarding its hardware releases.

Do I think an announcement of a new console is possible in 2023? Yes. Do I think the console will be released in 2023? No, I don't. I believe that 2024 will be the earliest possible year for an actual release. It is nearing the time for a console upgrade, but I'm confident we are not quite there yet.

Also the Switch was miserably underpowered on release lmao. I wasn't ignoring anything when I made my earlier statement.
Are we really sure Metroid Prime 4 is still in development though, let alone for the Switch? At this point, I do have my doubts.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
This time is very different now though because ; Nintendo now has a very profitable subscription base they do not want to lose or shrink.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Well... how many times have they mentioned Metroid Prime 4 and they still haven't released it? It's been 6 years since we heard about it.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Well... how many times have they mentioned Metroid Prime 4 and they still haven't released it? It's been 6 years since we heard about it.
Honestly at this point i'm convinced it's been canceled silently.

it’s really disappointing to see people still use terms like that after all the unusual characters we’ve got
I'm sorry i just dont view Toad in same light as everyone else seems too.

In my head i just kind of feel like Toad exists to pad out Mario spin off game rosters.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think there's a decent chance we'll get Prime 4 in 2024. Whether its the swan song for the Switch or a dual release for it and the Switch 2, I don't know, but I think its coming. I'm not surprised Nintendo hasn't done any updates on it either. I suspect they greatly regret announcing it so early in light of its scrapping/restart and are essentially not releasing any information on it until its very close to finished. Even stuff like FE Engage has been revealed to be done for some time for its announcement, so something similar for MP4 is not out of the question.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This time is very different now though because ; Nintendo now has a very profitable subscription base they do not want to lose or shrink.
And how does that change anything?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly at this point i'm convinced it's been canceled silently.
Why would it be? The game restarted development 4 years ago. It's obvious that they still have nothing to show. 4 years is way too short to show anything from a game. In comapraison, TOTK took 5-6 years of development... and that's using lots of assets from Botw and with a team that worked on 3d Zelda for a long time. MP4 was starting from scratch in 2019 from a way smaller team that hasn't done anything in years and their latest games were 2d platformers.

People who think that game development still take 2-3 years either knows nothing about game development or are deluded about how hard AAA game development is.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
They were transparent about it when they essentially restarted development at Retro. I know Nintendo has cancelled things before without announcing it but I think MP4 is simply too big for them to not say anything if it was cancelled.

Troykv

Smash Master
Does anyone believe that the japanese release of AW1+2 will be silent with not too much fanfare?
I think is quite curious how Wars pretty much died as a brand in Japan as soon as it became a thing in the Western market. I wonder if Game Boy Wars Advance was destined to ended up forgotten regardless or if the localization ended up affecting the timeline, and making GBW:A lose that spot in the initial release of the Game Boy Advance.

I find fascinating the curious effects Advance Wars' localization could have and did actually have (like becoming one of the main reasons behind Fire Emblem leaving the Japan-only status alongside Melee giving some attention to the brand).

So yeah... I'm expecting a shadow drop in Japan.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
This is real official artwork of Geno and Mallow
I just realized his sword can be used as side air attack
That’s what the artwork shows lol
Thanks to Geno Boost for sharing this in the Mario RPG thread; concept art for Geno and Mallow.

To think, if only Geno had used that blade in Legend of the Seven Stars; him being a sword wielding RPG character would have made him a virtual lock for Smash.

😉

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
And how does that change anything?
it changes how Nintendo would want to market their new console.

the reality is the majority of Nintendo's market is normies ; people for whom the technical details of how powerful a computer is mean nothing.

Therefore because the majority of the base is not looking for a next generation Switch , Nintendo will not market this upgraded Switch as such.

Nintendo will most likely market this next Generation Switch as a ; Switch Pro

Top Bottom