• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Aligo

Smash Ace
Guys, I got bad news: Sonic won't be in the next Smash.

I think I would prefer smash sonic if he were dead. Zombies aren't known for running as fast.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so i suppose you all heard about the smash news? the next big character is going to be the smashboards itself featuring all of us smooshed together into a homogenous mass that attacks other fighters by arguing whether this game is a reboot, a port or a sequel.

happy apirl first btw

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Troykv

Smash Master
Oh! The April's Fools celebrations have began!

Last edited:

Aaayei

Smash Cadet
I spent hours stomping... KOOPAS!

Anyway, which Chris Pratt character ya think has the best chance Smashwise? Methinks either Star Lord or Garfield. Mario is a definite no-no. Nintendo would be too stingy to allow it

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I spent hours stomping... KOOPAS!

Anyway, which Chris Pratt character ya think has the best chance Smashwise? Methinks either Star Lord or Garfield. Mario is a definite no-no. Nintendo would be too stingy to allow it
I wanna say Chris Pratt, but Chris Pratt has more promotional value. Then there's the legal issues with Chris Pratt, so HE'S not getting. Hm... anybody here ever heard of Chris Pratt?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was waiting for the unique boards. This is glorious~

And I'm a Spiky Blue-Shelled Paratroopa. I love it~

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why doesn't Mario have a move where he stomps koopas?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
You know, the whole Chris Pratt theming got me thinking... Do you all think it's plausible we could see some Mario movie content in the next Smash? Like, I'm not imagining anything crazy but I could totally see a song or two from it tossed in if it doesn't bomb.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
You know, the whole Chris Pratt theming got me thinking... Do you all think it's plausible we could see some Mario movie content in the next Smash? Like, I'm not imagining anything crazy but I could totally see a song or two from it tossed in if it doesn't bomb.
I guess it's not impossible, but aside from Advent children stuff we never had content from other media, even Pokémon who's anime is huge have no content.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

I'm interested in what came first, smash or rakugaki showtime. They are both similar and they have the same final boss. (Except the hand has a pencil in rakugaki showtime.
Smash came out in January while Rakugaki Showtime came out in July.

For years, many people often say that an earlier game, The Outfoxies, may have inspired the gameplay for Smash and that's still possible but I see more of a similarity to Downtown Nekketsu March Super-Awesome Field Day, an even earlier game than all of them.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
no thanks

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I made a move set for the Penguin king from the movie.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I guess it's not impossible, but aside from Advent children stuff we never had content from other media, even Pokémon who's anime is huge have no content.
It does have some content. Ash is directly mentioned in Pokemon Trainer's Smash 4 trophy, we have had multiple anime voices used(even for Pokemon Trainer him/herself), some Pokemon are partially based upon their anime moveset, and sometimes even Trophies use an anime render. Misty's in Melee is specifically from the anime, not the games. Also, Ash-Greninja is specifically from the anime, and was only eventually given a minor cameo into the games(though the ability Protean is actually more heavily used by them).

It's not as noticeable because the anime has heavily bled into the games too. Red's eventual teams are based upon Ash's anime ones in various remakes, which is funny, as originally Ash was more or less "Red, but in the anime", though they both were ultimately separated as different people done the line. What goes around comes around.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Here is that moveset for the Penguin King from the Mario movie I made up, since now seems like it would be a good time.

The Penguin King

Coming from the Illumination Super Mario Bros. Movie, the Penguin King comes in to battle in Smash. As a fighter, the Penguin King is very lightweight, yet agile and fast, nonetheless. While some of his attacks do make for strong ones, most of his attacks are average, with some of them being low. He can attack using his flippers and beak, and use ice for his attacks as well as snow. In fact, the Penguin King rides an icicle to smash enemies below for his down air attack. One of his taunts has him saying "Do you yield?". His special moves are...

B: Ice Ball or Snow Ball: Alternating between ice and snow each use, Penguin King throws an ice ball (like that of an ice flower) or a snow ball, with the ice ball freezing enemies and doing more damage.

B Side: Belly Slide: Similar to what the Penguin suit can do in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the Penguin King can slide on his belly, knocking enemies into the air when they are hit for being in his path.

B Up: Catapult: Using the catapult that threw an ice block at one of the Koopas in the Mario movie trailer, Penguin King is launched upwards into the air. The catapult can be used again if it has not fallen off stage and can be moved.

B Down: Ice Block Kick: An ice block appears in front of Penguin King and he kicks it, doing moderately strong damage to those who are in its path.

Final Smash: Penguin's Fury: The Penguin King charges at an opponent, and if hit, a cutscene happens where the Penguin King's royal subjects come and start throwing snowballs at the opponent(s) and launching ice blocks at them. These ice blocks and snowballs get bigger as the Final Smash goes on, and at the end, a giant ice block is launched from a giant catapult and deals devastating damage. As the Final Smash ends and the opponent(s) get launched into the air, the Penguin King poses and says, "That is but a taste of our fury!" before continuing the fight.

So, what do you all think?

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Here is that moveset for the Penguin King from the Mario movie I made up, since now seems like it would be a good time.

The Penguin King

Coming from the Illumination Super Mario Bros. Movie, the Penguin King comes in to battle in Smash. As a fighter, the Penguin King is very lightweight, yet agile and fast, nonetheless. While some of his attacks do make for strong ones, most of his attacks are average, with some of them being low. He can attack using his flippers and beak, and use ice for his attacks as well as snow. In fact, the Penguin King rides an icicle to smash enemies below for his down air attack. One of his taunts has him saying "Do you yield?". His special moves are...

B: Ice Ball or Snow Ball: Alternating between ice and snow each use, Penguin King throws an ice ball (like that of an ice flower) or a snow ball, with the ice ball freezing enemies and doing more damage.

B Side: Belly Slide: Similar to what the Penguin suit can do in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the Penguin King can slide on his belly, knocking enemies into the air when they are hit for being in his path.

B Up: Catapult: Using the catapult that threw an ice block at one of the Koopas in the Mario movie trailer, Penguin King is launched upwards into the air. The catapult can be used again if it has not fallen off stage and can be moved.

B Down: Ice Block Kick: An ice block appears in front of Penguin King and he kicks it, doing moderately strong damage to those who are in its path.

Final Smash: Penguin's Fury: The Penguin King charges at an opponent, and if hit, a cutscene happens where the Penguin King's royal subjects come and start throwing snowballs at the opponent(s) and launching ice blocks at them. These ice blocks and snowballs get bigger as the Final Smash goes on, and at the end, a giant ice block is launched from a giant catapult and deals devastating damage. As the Final Smash ends and the opponent(s) get launched into the air, the Penguin King poses and says, "That is but a taste of our fury!" before continuing the fight.

So, what do you all think?
1680391138284.png

It does have some content. Ash is directly mentioned in Pokemon Trainer's Smash 4 trophy, we have had multiple anime voices used(even for Pokemon Trainer him/herself), some Pokemon are partially based upon their anime moveset, and sometimes even Trophies use an anime render. Misty's in Melee is specifically from the anime, not the games. Also, Ash-Greninja is specifically from the anime, and was only eventually given a minor cameo into the games(though the ability Protean is actually more heavily used by them).

It's not as noticeable because the anime has heavily bled into the games too. Red's eventual teams are based upon Ash's anime ones in various remakes, which is funny, as originally Ash was more or less "Red, but in the anime", though they both were ultimately separated as different people done the line. What goes around comes around.
That makes me wish having the Harvey Atkin voice for Bowser, or Mega Man using the "Mega" prefix for everything.

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
That makes me wish Smash had a premium skins system. Like Mario and Luigi as the Great Giana Sisters (shout-outs to crazybenjamin crazybenjamin ), Sonic with Bubsy, Cloud being the other FF protags, PAc as K.C. Munchkin, etc. The possibilites are infinite
Look, I appreciate the shoutout, but I don't see the point of stuff like Bubsy being a Sonic costume. Either make them a full Echo or don't bother at all.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

And Goldeen is also used as the useless "splash around" Pokeball summon rather than the expected Magikarp as a reference to Misty's Goldeen from the anime.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Someone accused me of being capitalistic just because I think it should have a decent amount of first party characters. It's nothing like multiversus where they put in characters nobody wants to promote ****. Byleth and arms, Xenoblade have fan bases. Black Adam doesn't.

Top Bottom