• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I'm curious wondering why people want Sonic in.

Is it because there's no non-human characters and being iconic?
Klonoa and Guntz were in Namco X Capcom, but they got shafted into NPC cameos for the next games. I just want Mono to break the boundaries to include Cereal Mascots like how SSBB broke the boundaries of Nintendo-only content with the Sonic and Metal Gear series.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I'm curious wondering why people want Sonic in.

Is it because there's no non-human characters and being iconic?
Mostly because it's a crossover with SEGA involved. I always figured that if somebody from Sonic does get in, it should be Eggman, since he's a human character.

On that note, I decided to make some PxZ-related documents.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
People decided to talk about cuts for the fifteenth million time instead of something actually interesting and engaging.

Let’s instead talk about something interesting besides retreading cuts discussion. Let’s talk about the eShop closing down. It’s really the end of an era, after the 27th those digital games will no longer be able to be purchased. I remember how much that era shaped Smash speculation. Picks like Shantae, Shovel Knight, Professor Layton, and Phoenix Wright thrived in that era. I remember the hype around games like Azran Legacy, Dual Destinies, or Pirates Curse. I remember that brief blip of Bravely Default speculation. I remember how people talked about a Pushmo stage for Smash 4. That era is going to be cut off through legitimate means in days now. What are some of your non smash highlights of that era?
I vividly remmber playing this small eshop game Adventure Bar Story a lot.

I dont know if anyone knows what that is but it's an RPG where the goal is running a fantasy tavern, you go out into dungeons to collect ingredients for the tavern. It was a fun little eshop title.

Unrelated but i dont think i ever completed Dillons rolling western

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
People decided to talk about cuts for the fifteenth million time instead of something actually interesting and engaging.

Let’s instead talk about something interesting besides retreading cuts discussion. Let’s talk about the eShop closing down. It’s really the end of an era, after the 27th those digital games will no longer be able to be purchased. I remember how much that era shaped Smash speculation. Picks like Shantae, Shovel Knight, Professor Layton, and Phoenix Wright thrived in that era. I remember the hype around games like Azran Legacy, Dual Destinies, or Pirates Curse. I remember that brief blip of Bravely Default speculation. I remember how people talked about a Pushmo stage for Smash 4. That era is going to be cut off through legitimate means in days now. What are some of your non smash highlights of that era?
The Wii U Virtual console is a huge highlight for me. People love to **** on the Wii U and I'm not going to pretend it was the best console ever, but I discovered so many good retro games thanks for this console, such as Mario rpg, but also a lot of DS Games that I didn't have a chance to play at the time such as Wario Ware touched, Yoshi Island DS and FE shadow dragon.

I highly suggest people who have a Wii U to check the DS Virtual console. The price is more than fair, and it might be the last time we see some of these games because it might be hard to rerelase game that uses a lot the touch screen and dual screen a lot.

Another highlight was the shadow drop of Rhythm heaven megamix at e3. That was very hype for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I hope someday if somebody make some videos about Spirit battles in Ultimate, they not only explain them but also show the game that inspired it too. That might take a lot of work but there's a lot of Youtube videos to put together to show it.

Another thing I hope is somebody make a video of themselves playing every character beating all the Legend spirits too. I want to see how well each character does against them.

I never based my speculations on that. I just bought the games that I liked.

I remember buying Super Punch-Out!! from there and beating that game so easily, despite not playing it in years. I also remember towards the end of Smash 4's DLC content, they were promoting games that featured characters in that were in that game, including third-party games like the NES Mega Man games and Final Fantasy Explorers.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Somebody made a mock-up of what Smash Bros would've been if it came out today as new IPs and all i can say i'm glad Smash came out 1999 instead of 2023.

Nothing but promotional and predicable and knowing Nintendo picks their characters, it isn't inaccurate either

1678910474942.png

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Somebody made a mock-up of what Smash Bros would've been if it came out today as new IPs and all i can say i'm glad Smash came out 1999 instead of 2023.

Nothing but promotional and predicable and knowing Nintendo picks their characters, it isn't inaccurate either

View attachment 369418
While Xenoblade, Splatoon, Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem recieving characters are a given.

DK wouldn't be cut. Donkey Kong Country is still huge.

All that aside... Smash hasn't changed how its characters are chosen either. Smash 64's roster was also full of obvious picks and promotional characters. The only ones who weren't were Ness and arguably Samus. Even oddballs like Fox and Captain Falcon weren't too surprising considering their N64 success.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
While Xenoblade, Splatoon, Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem recieving characters are a given.

Yeah in the 90s but today, not so much especially to their newer bigger hitters.

Don't forget it has been 10 years since the last Country entry and DK entry in general hasn't come out since.

Last edited:

Aligo

Smash Ace
Yeah in the 90s but today, not so much especially to their newer bigger hitters.

Don't forget it has been 10 years since the last entry and DK entry has come out since.
DK is a larger and more storied series overall though, and has heavy presence in spinoffs. I could potentially see a lack of Yoshi though.

Also doubt that Noah or Alear would be chosen as first picks as those tend to be the most popular or frequent characters, and they are neither, being substantially overshadowed in game and out as well as being less important overall than say, Shulk or Marth (the more recent character, Roy was added as a last minute clone of Marth in melee).

Also a roster without charizard seems very odd given how much gamefreak pushes that thing.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

All that aside... Smash hasn't changed how its characters are chosen either. Smash 64's roster was also full of obvious picks and promotional characters. The only ones who weren't were Ness and arguably Samus. Even oddballs like Fox and Captain Falcon weren't too surprising considering their N64 success.
Ironically, Ness was kind of supposed to be an "obvious/promotionnal" character. At the time of Smash 64 development (1998), Mother 3 was in development for N64 and was supposed to released on that same year, but it got delayed multiple time before getting cancelled. So the only odd one was really Samus (as in she's the only character to not have a N64 games), but considering Metroid success it wasn't an extremely surprising pick either.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

View attachment 369418
This feels less like an actual realistic attempt at a 2023 starting Smash roster and more like just trying to create the most doomerish scenario possible

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
And Ness is here for some reason.
Well Earthbound was pretty big in Japan, it sold as much as Super Metroid there. Also see my other post about a Earthbound game being in development at the same time as Smash 64. It also sold better than any Fire emblem at the time, yet Marth was planned for Smash 64 and cut due to time limits.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ness also was easy to recreate since he had the same bodyframe as Mario, making him a last minute Model Swap character(not to be confused with a gameplay clone, which does have various applications towards the other 3 hidden characters).

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Ya the "original 8/12 redux" stuff is more a game than anything serious. Even if the first ever Smash game was coming in 2023, it would have more than 12 characters.

BUT still I will say that stuff like Meowscarada over Zard or Alear over Marth is pretty bad. Besides their longstanding legacies, which would be enough on their own, it's not even like Zard and Marth aren't Switch-era relevant: the former is Leon's signature mon while also maintaining mainstream recognizability; the latter is literally on the FE:Engage box art and has gotten fairly regular treatment in Heroes. I shouldn't have to mention the absences of other virtual must-haves like DK.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master

View attachment 369418
Call me nitpicky, but replace Pika with Pokémon Trainer with his team formed by Pikachu, Charizard and Mewtwo. That's the way i fixed it, so anyone can judge me

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
BUT still I will say that stuff like Meowscarada over Zard or Alear over Marth is pretty bad. Besides their longstanding legacies, which would be enough on their own, it's not even like Zard and Marth aren't Switch-era relevant: the former is Leon's signature mon while also maintaining mainstream recognizability
Having only Meowscarada reeks of trying to fill quotas on a roster that doesn't even have the "over/underrepresentation" issue to begin with: SSBU's roster may not have a fully-evolved grass starter or gen 9 Pokemon...but if there was no Smash to begin with, there also wouldn't be any Pokemon from the previous 8 generations, let alone fire or water starters that need a trinity "completed".

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Of course Smash fans dont know about Soap.
explains a lot

BUT still I will say that stuff like Alear over Marth is pretty bad. it's not even like Zard and Marth aren't Switch-era relevant:the latter is literally on the FE:Engage box art and has gotten fairly regular treatment in Heroes.
So my question is how are you confusing the base box art with the cards ?

fire-emblem-engage-divine-edition-2.jpg

also any relevancy charizard has within the video game portion Pokemon franchise is largely due to being a non main-line title. i mean why on God's green earth would he be relevant in competitive ? also Leon not really that relevant.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
So my question is how are you confusing the base box art with the cards ?
Check the standard box art, not the special edition art. Besides that Marth was highly promoted in the trailers and marketing for the game.

also any relevancy charizard has within the video game portion Pokemon franchise is largely due to being a non main-line title
I cited his Sw/Sh appearance, which is mainline. Really, Zard's recognizability is in a tier of its own among Pokemon which, as I said in the last post, justifies his inclusion regardless of any Switch relevance to begin with. But, also as I was saying, he does have Switch-era relevance anyway...

relevant in competitive ? also Leon not really that relevant
I wasn't talking about being relevant in the competitive scene, either in Smash or in the PKMN games themselves, mainline or otherwise. Competitive relevance is hardly a requirement. Leon...is absolutely Switch-era relevant, and it is significant when an oldgen mon is a Champion's main.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord

View attachment 369418
A Smash game without Captain Falcon is a really dystopian timeline...

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
This feels less like an actual realistic attempt at a 2023 starting Smash roster and more like just trying to create the most doomerish scenario possible
You say that as if both can't be true. Look at the DLC choices especially for the first party did for Ult and you can easily how correlates strongly with this mock-up. Not much to be hopeful

Ya the "original 8/12 redux" stuff is more a game than anything serious. Even if the first ever Smash game was coming in 2023, it would have more than 12 characters.

BUT still I will say that stuff like Meowscarada over Zard or Alear over Marth is pretty bad. Besides their longstanding legacies, which would be enough on their own, it's not even like Zard and Marth aren't Switch-era relevant: the former is Leon's signature mon while also maintaining mainstream recognizability; the latter is literally on the FE:Engage box art and has gotten fairly regular treatment in Heroes. I shouldn't have to mention the absences of other virtual must-haves like DK.
I agree with Zard but Marth is real stretch. Yeah he has legecy but just like DK isn't enough to overshine the newer, popular mainstays. Nintendo especially always want to advertise the newest thing when comes to their rosters since Arms. Three Houses and Xenoblade: All recent titles being the focus of representation.

Appearing one Switch game just isn't enough over someone like Byleth or Alear. At least in Nintendo's eyes

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I really don't consider any character to be a main one if they are dead. Jesus being one of the few exceptions.
Jesus? Like, the Bible? What the **** are y’all going on about in this thread?

Also, of course he’s a main character. Just not in the main protagonist role in the newest game. You can have your logic, but that doesn’t make Marth not a main character in FE1, FE3, FE10, and FE12, or the reason FE13 has a plot, and is now in FE16.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Jesus? Like, the Bible?
yes exactly.

moving on

to be honest i don't even think much speculation is necessary for SSBU Deluxe nor the next Switch

next Switch is going to be called the Switch Pro. Too likely to alienate the current base with a Switch 2

core fans will upgrade real fast and eventually bring the casuals along too.

to me these are the most likely characters for SSBU Deluxe

1 Ahri
2 Master Chief
3 Mio
4 Noah
5 Captain Price / Soap / Ghost
6 Dracthyr = via World of Warcraft
7 Elysium = from Soul Calibur
8 Throné Anguis = via OctoPath Traveler 2
9 Tabuu
10 Impa / Paya

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Nintendo especially always want to advertise the newest thing when comes to their rosters since Arms. Three Houses and Xenoblade: All recent titles being the focus of representation.
But ARMS, TH, and Xeno2 only got represented AFTER all the previous bigtime picks like DK, Marth, etc. were already in the game. That doesn't mean the former group would get priority over the latter group if Smash was starting from square one; it was never on the table to have to choose specifically between Alear and Marth, or between ARMS and DK (nor do I think it will be going forward, hence the triviality of this discussion).

Appearing one Switch game just isn't enough over someone like Byleth or Alear. At least in Nintendo's eyes
Marth is literally in the same Switch game as Alear, who also only appears in one Switch game, but unlike Marth doesn't have a pre-Switch resume.

--

But, like I said, we're not going to have to go down to 12 characters again. The likes of DK and Marth will easily make it into the top 50 or so on the priority list, and I've held steady in saying we're not going below a roster size roughly equivalent to 4's.

Top Bottom