• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Speaking of villains, that brings up something I wanted to talk about.

Here's a list of antagonists we have in Smash.

Bowser
Bowser Jr. + Koopalings
Pirahna Plant
King K. Rool
Ganondorf
Dark Samus
Ridley
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Wolf
Mewtwo
Dark Pit
Wario
Sephiroth
Kazuya

That's 15 characters who could be considered antagonists in their home franchises. Keep in mind, several characters in this list have become heroic (like Meta Knight and King Dedede) or neutral (like Mewtwo, Wario ,and Dark Pit) in recent times. I have some questions for everyone?

1. Without regard to their movesets, echo status, or how their franchise has been treated in Smash, what do you think of the antagonists we have in Smash? Do you think the characters chosen are good? Do any stick out in a bad way?
  2. Do you think 15 antagonists is enough? Are villains/antagonists something that Smash is lacking in?
  3. Which Nintendo antagonists do you think should be in?
  4. What 3rd party antagonists do you think should be in?
  5. Tekken is actually the only franchise that is only represented by a villain. Could any other franchises get away with that?
  6. Protagonists and heroes seem to be Smash's go to characters. What makes an antagonist so special that they should be also included? What gives them that "it" factor?
  7. Of the antagonists we have, the far majority were created in the 80s and 90s. We only have three antagonists created after 2000 (Bowser Jr., Dark Samus and Dark Pit). What recent antagonists should be included (defining recent as after 2000.)
  8. Conversely, what older antagonists should be included?
  9. Are there any franchises where the lack of an antagonist seems strange?
  10. And finally, what are some antagonists that you think are so important/popular/etc to be included but can't feasibly be made playable for whatever reason?
I’ll do this for fun.
1. I like the current cast of villains and anti-heroes so far. It’s cool to see it range from some of the biggest video game characters (Bowser, Wario, Ganon, Mewtwo, Kazuya, and Sephiroth) to some who are less popular like Dark Pit and Wolf, and the generic enemy is fun to see with the plant.
2. While quotas aren’t a hard thing, I think the more the merrier if possible.
3. I won’t say necessarily a character should be in, but I’ll list characters who would be cool to see or ones that I could see happening: Meowth for childhood nostalgia, DJ Octavio as Splatoon has become pretty popular, Waluigi (I’m counting him if Wario does) is a big request, and I think that Idunn, Sephiran, Lyon, Skull Kid, Vaati, and Marx would have fun movesets.
4. Like this previous one, I’m just picking characters that could be cool to see or that I could imagine joining instead of saying deserving. I’ll just pick characters from series already in SSB; Eggman and Shadow feel like the frontrunners for this one, and Heihachi would be another good choice for an antagonist.
5. I don’t think we’d see this from a first party series, but I could see other third party series end up like Tekken in this scenario. Danganropa, League, Undetale, and FNAF seem like logical choices (credit to Batkelley Batkelley for the Danganropa and FNAF suggestions) for this feat as Monokuma is the first series‘s mascot, Jinx plays a huge role in Arcane, Sans is incredibly popular/meme’d in Undertale, and Freddy Fazbear is the mascot of FNAF. Also, it could be cool to see something like Nemesis as the first Resident Evil character.
6. I guess the biggest it factor would be someone who has a memorable personality or someone that players would find cool to play as.
7. I’ll just repeat the ones that I mentioned in my above post: Waluigi, Vaati, Idunn, Lyon, Sephiran, DJ Octavio, Monokuma, Jinx, Sans, Freddy Fazbear.
8. I’ll do the same thing that I did with 7: Skull Kid (he technically debuted in ’98), Marx, Meowth, Eggman, Shadow, Heihachi, Nemesis.
9. I don’t think there is a franchise on the roster that feels like they’re missing a villain or anti-hero. A Fire Emblem villain would be cool, but the cast is so large that almost anything could work. While Eggman is a notable villain, I‘d prefer Tails first.
10. Like mentioned by TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom mentioned, Mother Brain and GLaDOS are notable villains that don’t seem logistically possible in terms of playability.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Well, I think Raven Beak's popularity will stick until the next big Metroid game, which currently right now is Metroid Prime 4. Metroid Dread is on the way to become the best selling Metroid title and right now, people definitely want content from Metroid Dread. Not just Raven Beak, but also Samus' new Suit, some gameplay changes to fit her gameplay style in Dread, not to mention a Final Smash change, a stage like Ferenia, etc. The demand is certainly there and even if Metroid Prime 4 gets alot more details later, I doubt Dread's impact will disappear lightly.
And given their importance to the series as a whole, it would stink to finally get the hands-on Chozo experience only for it to last for just a single game.

I don't really understand rosters like this. This wouldn't be them mostly starting over like they usually do, because they couldn't get to 105 characters if they did. But it's seemingly not just building off Ultimate either like it did with 4, because then why cut any characters that you could still legally obtain?
Not to speak for them, but IIRC it was said to be just a fantasy roster and not anything especially realistic.

Ivander

Smash Legend
And given their importance to the series as a whole, it would stink to finally get the hands-on Chozo experience only for it to last for just a single game.
I don't see the Chozo disappearing entirely, but I think it was mentioned that they wanted to move on from particularly the Metroid creatures, with Samus and Dread being a sort of finale for them. At the least, the main series Chozo on Zebes and the Mawkin are probably no more, with Raven Beak practically being the death of all of them one way or another, but either they may appear more in the vein of Metroid Prime where their interactions with other races were detailed or we could find a set of Chozo that branched off from the main series Chozo, similar to Metroid Prime, and interact with them. We will need to wait and see what happens with the next Metroid main game.

And we do have that whole deal with the 2 Mawkin Spaceships that disappear from Hanubia, which could've been piloted by Chozo-Xs.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
If we're posting rosters, I'll toss this one I made into the ring.

12oz.jpg
90 characters in total, if you split Pythra and the Hisui Trainer's Pokemon (which would be Oshawott, Quilava, and Hisui Decidueye).

While they aren't pictured, I also envisioned ten Echo fighters, which would round this up to an even 100, discounting Miis (I consider them extra fighters tbh).
1. Daisy (Peach)
2. Funky Kong (Donkey Kong)
3. Dark Samus (Samus)
4. Galacta Knight (Meta Knight)
5. Dark Pit (Pit)
6. Lucina (Marth)
7. Shadow (Sonic)
8. Ken (Ryu)
9. Ms. Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
10. Rock Howard (Terry)

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I don't really understand rosters like this. This wouldn't be them mostly starting over like they usually do, because they couldn't get to 105 characters if they did. But it's seemingly not just building off Ultimate either like it did with 4, because then why cut any characters that you could still legally obtain?
Well, it wouldn't be all at once. A lot of these characters would be added over time. But this isn't meant to be a prediction roster. Though it does have some characters I'd consider realistic picks, and some realistic predictions in general, it's mostly just a fun roster for a potential 2024-2025 game. Which in itself seems much too early for the next Smash.

Honest question. Why are Pyra/Mythra gone? I see no reason to cut them. Super popular in their franchise. Unique playstyle. Super popular competitively. Their cut makes no sense to me.
Well, my goal was for around 100 characters, with a theme of Nintendo vs. Third-Party (so more Third-Party than ever). So naturally, there would be a lot of Nintendo cuts. And replacing them with a Xenoblade 3 rep seemed easy enough. Xenoblade isn't the biggest Nintendo franchise, so it's fine with just two reps.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
What would be the IDEAL Story Mode that should be included in Smash 6?

Something like Adventure mode from Melee

Subspace Emissary from Brawl

World of Light from Ultimate

something new entirely, maybe based of other party/fighting games

or it shouldn't include any mode like it at all

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

I’m the case of Ultimate, an idea I had for a WoL overhaul was having be a mix of Spirit Battles and platforming. The overworld would be mostly the same, except there are three different types of sub-areas.
  • Action (platforming stage with enemies)
  • Rescue (smaller overworld map with Spirit Battles)
  • Hybrid (a mix of the two above)

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
"Rosalina organizes a tournament across the Nintendo omniverse and a selected group of "inmigrants" (third parties) to determine who's the strongest one there is."
Keep simple as it is.
Nice, although Master Hand would be more fitting than Rosa.

How would it work? would be a glorified Tournament Mode or the Smash Wii U Classic mode

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Mix between Subspace and Adventure Mode
(I can imagine having more new bad guys for the villain team)

Gengar84

Smash Hero

My ideal story mode would be like Subspace Emissary but with improvements that addressed the issues from Brawl. I personally loved the mode but I feel they could make better use of it by taking advantage of existing enemies and stages for inspiration rather than make everything from scratch. They could also implement shorter stages mixed throughout akin to Melee’s adventure mode, basically taking the best from both worlds. Other improvements like adjusting the balance and knock back would also help. I personally feel the single player has been really lacking in Smash since Smash 4 and I’d love to see a return of an ambitious platforming story based adventure.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace

I can't decide if I want the Story Mode in the next games of the Super Smash Bros. series to be like Subspace Emissary or like World of Light.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If story mode has to actually have a STORY, then I'd want one where the villains were the actual villain characters and not some dumb cosmic horror OC.

Give me a story where Ganondorf, Sephiroth, Dracula, Mother Brain, etc. have teamed up to conquer the Smash multiverse.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Well, the dream singleplayer for me is like a full-on platforming SSE-style adventure mode with a complete story told in part through awesome cutscenes featuring every character in my dream ~100-character roster...but yeah that's not happening any time soon.

The main trouble with the singleplayer for me is that I'd like it to be good (obviously) but also not take too much away resource-wise from the roster, AT, stage, etc. content. So a platforming adventure of some sort, yes, but just at whatever scale can accommodate the rest of the game; the VS mode itself is the main attraction and the most work should be put into that IMO.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
I think my ideal single player experience would be split into two modes;
-Classic Mode: Pretty much a modernized recreation of Melee's randomized Classic format. There'd be 12 normal stages, and two bonus stages (A Target Smash level after Stage 3, a Race to the Finish level after Stage 6, and a harder Target Smash level after Stage 9.). Stages 3, 6, and 9 would be randomly-choosen Spirit Battles (minus Legend-class Spirits), as a way to ensure that some are earned after a successful playthrough in addition to any bonuses. The end boss is always at least one of the Hands, though on higher difficulties, another boss may be fought as Stage 9 instead of a regular Spirit Battle.

-Arcade Mode: A mix between Ultimate's Classic Mode and Melee's Adventure Mode. 8 stages long. Each fighter gets a predetermined list of fights, with at least one or two stages being partially dedicated to platforming segments reflecting the character chosen (for example, Mario, Luigi, and Peach would all traverse a Mario-themed platformer stage, while Bowser and Bowser Jr. would traverse a volcanic Mario-themed stage instead.) Ideally, the platforming stages would share enemies that are also used in a Smash Run successor mode. The end boss is also differently chosen depending on the character.

I think this would be an interesting way to do things without needing to sink too much work into it like with Subspace.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
If story mode has to actually have a STORY, then I'd want one where the villains were the actual villain characters and not some dumb cosmic horror OC.

Give me a story where Ganondorf, Sephiroth, Dracula, Mother Brain, etc. have teamed up to conquer the Smash multiverse.
Having the bad guys of first party and third-party franchises teaming up would be pretty fun to see.

This is what my version of a villain team would look like if I were to come up with my own story:
Leaders of the [insert evil army]
  • Bowser
  • Ganondorf
Generals (Working for the leaders)
  • King K. Rool
  • Kazuya
  • Sephiroth (Would defiantly betray and turn against them)
  • Dedede (Betrays them and joins the heroes way later on)
  • Ridley
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Wario
  • Wolf
  • Mewtwo (Maybe somehow brainwashed until returning back to normal joining good guys)
  • Dark Samus (The villains would somehow create her using the blue stuff AKA Phazon)
  • Raven Beak (Metroid)
  • The Shake King (Wario Land)
  • Dark Matter (Kirby)
  • Spooky (Pac-Man)
  • Dr. Eggman (Sonic)
  • Ganon (Blue Pig from Zelda)
  • Andross (Star Fox)
  • Pokey (Earthbound)
  • Dr. Coyle (ARMS)
  • Kraid (Metroid)
  • Hades (Kid Icarus)
  • Mr. Bison (Street Fighter)
  • Black Shadow (F-Zero)
  • Kamek (Yoshi)
  • Captain Syrup (Wario Land)
  • Gruntilda (Banjo-Kazooie)

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
As far as Classic Mode, I was thinking of bringing back the branching routes from 3DS, but now you can choose one out of three options on the map.

Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Bonus 1Stage 4Stage 5Stage 6Bonus 2Stage 7Final Stage
Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5Stage 6Stage 7
Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5Stage 6Stage 7
Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5Stage 6Final Stage
Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5Stage 6Stage 7
Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5STage 6Stage 7

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

nice idea. except there is no smash multiverse

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Hades would be fitting as the big bad and all the other villains could work under him, kind of like Chaos in Dissidia or even Tabuu in Brawl. I think a character with an actual personality like Hades would be a more effective villain for a story than something like Tabuu, Galeem, or Dharkon. If they went with Hades, I could see Palutena being used for the leader for the heroes, similar to Cosmos.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I could see using Hades as the big bad and all the other villains working under him, kind of like Chaos in Dissidia or even Tabuu in Brawl. I think a character with an actual personality like Hades would be a more effective villain for a story than something like Tabuu, Galeem, or Dharkon. If they went with Hades, I could see Palutena being used for the leader for the heroes.
And you know sakurai would go for one of his own

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My idea of going with a Dissidia like story with two opposing armies of light and dark would definitely require a big focus on adding villains to try to get the ratio a bit closer than it is. I feel like Smash could use more villains anyway so I think this would give them a great reason to up their representation even more.

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
Seems like a bunch of self-fulfilling prophetic navel-gazing to me. Just lazy argumentation based on precedent and a fairly transparent attempt at rationalizing your bias for Japanese video games.
Ah yes, stating the fact that over 97% of the roster in 25 years is made up of japanese IPs is self-fulfilling prophetic navel-gazing, now i've seen everything. I'm really not sure how to respond to this. Pretty rude, even!

Going from Melee to Brawl one could have assumed there'd be no 3rd parties whatsoever using this lazy argumentation. Going from Brawl to Smash 4 one could have assumed there'd be no DLC using this lazy argumentation with DLC after Mewtwo being something Sakurai literally went back on in real-time so that's another hole in your lazy argument. Finally going from Brawl/Smash 4 to Ultimate one could assume there'd be character cuts using this argumentation.
Great, but why are you even arguing about an entirely different topic (3rd parties being impossible) when we are talking about western 3rd parties being a rarity here? What's the point of comparing apples to oranges again?

I didn't have to assume anything because it was obviously uncharitable for its own sake -
Ok, i'm going to cut you off here since you've been pretty damn abrasive with a whole lot of strawmanning/ad hominiem even through i've been civil before my response, so i'm not going to respond unless there's a better counterpoint that i feel like addressing. I'm just going to point out to the remaining bit that yes, even through blizzard IPs technically represents "untapped audiences" this argument can apply to any gaming company not included in smash. So why is say, a blizzard character (now a microsoft character btw) any more likely than say, a valve character?

The funniest bit about the whole conversation that i'm not even arguing that we wouldn't even see any more western characters

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Ah yes, stating the fact that over 97% of the roster in 25 years is made up of japanese IPs is self-fulfilling prophetic navel-gazing, now i've seen everything. I'm really not sure how to respond to this. Pretty rude, even!

Great, but why are you even arguing about an entirely different topic (3rd parties being impossible) when we are talking about western 3rd parties being a rarity here? What's the point of comparing apples to oranges again?

Ok, i'm going to cut you off here since you've been pretty damn abrasive with a whole lot of strawmanning/ad hominiem even through i've been civil before my response, so i'm not going to respond unless there's a better counterpoint that i feel like addressing. I'm just going to point out to the remaining bit that yes, even through blizzard IPs technically represents "untapped audiences" this argument can apply to any gaming company not included in smash. So why is say, a blizzard character (now a microsoft character btw) any more likely than say, a valve character?

The funniest bit about the whole conversation that i'm not even arguing that we wouldn't even see any more western characters
I don’t think he was suggesting that Blizzard was the only option to represent PC gaming, just that they were a strong contender. Blizzard’s IP have been hugely influential in gaming, inspiring several other huge hits like League of Legends, Magic the Gathering: Arena, and more. That’s not to say that they’re the only ones. As you said, Valve’s IP are also huge as is League of Legends and others. Other franchises like DOOM also had their start on PC and could be another great option.

As far as Western characters in general go, I personally feel like we’ll start seeing a bit of an increase in representation from here on but I’m not really expecting that to go beyond 20% of the newcomers. Smash is developed in Japan so it’s easier to get licensing for those characters and it’s reasonable to think that the developers are more familiar with Japanese franchises as a rule.

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
I don’t think he was suggesting that Blizzard was the only option to represent PC gaming, just that they were a strong contender. Blizzard’s IP have been hugely influential in gaming, inspiring several other huge hits like League of Legends, Magic the Gathering: Arena, and more. That’s not to say that they’re the only ones. As you said, Valve’s IP are also huge as is League of Legends and others. Other franchises like DOOM also had their start on PC and could be another great option.

As far as Western characters in general go, I personally feel like we’ll start seeing a bit of an increase in representation from here on but I’m not really expecting that to go beyond 20% of the newcomers. Smash is developed in Japan so it’s easier to get licensing for those characters and it’s reasonable to think that the developers are more familiar with Japanese franchises as a rule.
I think that's an entirely fair take!
Personally i'm not confident in any characters heavily associated with PC stuff, but it's possible we can see an increase in new western characters (more than 2 out of 29, haha). Would certainly make things more interesting as well as open up more dream crossovers we can only dream as of now.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think that's an entirely fair take!
Personally i'm not confident in any characters heavily associated with PC stuff, but it's possible we can see an increase in new western characters (more than 2 out of 29, haha). Would certainly make things more interesting as well as open up more dream crossovers we can only dream as of now.
The good news for fans of Blizzard’s IP is that despite being primarily focused on PC, all of their major franchises besides WarCraft have appeared on a Nintendo console at some point. We had Diablo and Overwatch on Switch and StarCraft on the N64. I’m not really sure why WarCraft is the exception here but I could see Heartstone working on Nintendo consoles if they choose to go that way. Other primarily PC franchises have also had Nintendo support such as DOOM and League of Legends. We did already get a Minecraft rep in Ultimate which was basically in the same boat.

Batkelley

Smash Cadet

I think that a story mode that incorporates elements from all three of the previous modes of this type would be neat. It could have an actual plot with cutscenes showing different character interactions, platforming levels with locations and enemies that are actually from different series, and a world map with various paths, allowing the player to unlock different characters in different orders. I imagine that each level would end in a "boss" fight of some sort, whether that be an actual boss like Master Hand or a character battle against someone who would then join your party.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
It's a rough spot, the adventure mode. Personally I prefer integrated story modes that teach the game controls, provide a proper narrative, and showcase the game world. The story mode for Injustice: Gods Among Us for example has an interesting story (especially DC fans), allows you to play with and against several characters on the roster, shows off multiple stages and how to interact with them, and isn't too long to get through but not so short it's forgettable. So with that in mind, I'd love for the next Smash to take a look into something similar. For one, I'd prefer if all characters beside dlc were available from the start. I know that's a break from tradition, but I feel today's audiences are really going to be ok with this change. Then it's just a matter of blending story and cutscenes with a bunch of battles or short platforming areas.

Stratos

Smash Ace
If there is a Story Mode in the next Super Smash Bros. game there should be a final boss and I think it will use both light and dark powers. At least this is what I can think of, but on the other hand I don't think this is necessary.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
If there is a Story Mode in the next Super Smash Bros. game there should be a final boss and I think it will use both light and dark powers. At least this is what I can think of, but on the other hand I don't think this is necessary.
There is a good chance there will be a "final boss" or at least an antagonist. But the smash writers behind story mode in each game have refused to give that role to a roster member. I think this is an oversight. Originally, sure it was a cool story actually with the roster being a kid's toys come to life. But now would be a good time to either double down on that or do something completely original but rooted in the roster.

Which leads to my question:

Who would you choose for Antagonist in the next Smash game's story mode, if you could pick only one, ie The True Villain.

Sephiroth? Ganondorf? Kirby? (Seriously tho that'd be hilarious), a new addition like King Boo or...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
There is a good chance there will be a "final boss" or at least an antagonist. But the smash writers behind story mode in each game have refused to give that role to a roster member. I think this is an oversight. Originally, sure it was a cool story actually with the roster being a kid's toys come to life. But now would be a good time to either double down on that or do something completely original but rooted in the roster.

Who would you choose for Antagonist in the next Smash game's story mode, if you could pick only one, ie The True Villain.

Sephiroth? Ganondorf? Kirby? (Seriously tho that'd be hilarious), a new addition like King Boo or...
I feel like the most fitting character for the true villain is Hades from Kid Icarus. It’s hard to really imagine anyone else for the role that works quite as well. Hades is not only the lord of the underworld, but he has an entertaining personality that could lead to some great story moments. Sephiroth has already worked under Chaos and Bowser has taken a back seat as the big bad in the Mario RPG games. The vets from Brawl have all worked under Taboo as well.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace

If Kirby were to be the final boss in the story mode of the next Super Smash Bros. game, it would be because he would be possessed by a dark force or an evil spirit and turn him into a monster or demon.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

I don't think making a playable fighter the final boss makes much sense or is particularly an exciting idea unless you're making them a super secret character or an alternative character like Giga Bowser. Like, I can play against Sephiroth or Ganondorf all the time, having them being the Big Bad Guy is just anticlimactic. Especially if you're also playing as them.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't think making a playable fighter the final boss makes much sense or is particularly an exciting idea unless you're making them a super secret character or an alternative character like Giga Bowser. Like, I can play against Sephiroth or Ganondorf all the time, having them being the Big Bad Guy is just anticlimactic. Especially if you're also playing as them.
I agree. If they went with Hades as the final boss, I think Medusa would be really cool as the playable villain. You could even reference the final battle in Uprising if we went with this idea.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
inb4 someone says...
🤓: "B-b-b-b-b-b-but Chrom is in Robin's FS and he's playable too."

Top Bottom