• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As an ARMS apologist (or ARMSpologist), I'm curious. If Min Min wasn't an option, who would you have wanted as an ARMS rep?

I don't even need to SAY my answer. :secretkpop:
ninjara

Golden Sun could be added through fan demand alone, it's as much of a cult status icon by now as say, Mother. But honestly outside of Panel de Pon, and that hugely thanks to Japanese popularity and cult status, I don't see many other new Nintendo entrees happen. Ring Fit is a very high possibility, maybe Astral Chain (even moreso if they get a sequel which I could see), but only others I can think of are retro additions.
i wouldn't say GS is quite where earthbound is. half of indie gaming is trying to be earthbound which can't be said for GS

smashkirby

Smash Hero
As an ARMS apologist (or ARMSpologist), I'm curious. If Min Min wasn't an option, who would you have wanted as an ARMS rep?

I don't even need to SAY my answer. :secretkpop:
Spring Man for me. People usually seem to decry him as being 'generic', and maybe that's the case within ARMS, but outside of that? He would have been the closest thing to having Monkey D. Luffy in Smash Bros.

Not only that, but am I the only one who feels like Min Min is a bit too... 'subdued' in regards to her personality? Like, I feel like Spring Man's excitable personality would have been a much better fit for Smash Bros.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Spring Man for me. People usually seem to decry him as being 'generic', and maybe that's the case within ARMS, but outside of that? He would have been the closest thing to having Monkey D. Luffy in Smash Bros.

Not only that, but am I the only one who feels like Min Min is a bit too... 'subdued' in regards to her personality? Like, I feel like Spring Man's excitable personality would have been a much better fit for Smash Bros.
Honestly, no, you're not the only one.

spring man tongue face.png

Just look at that face!

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Regarding new series, Astral Chain and Golden Sun seem like they'd be locks if we get a new title from either. Rhythm Heaven should also fall under this category, but if whatever prevented Chorus Men from getting fully realized persists, maybe they'd run into trouble.

I think Wars will probably get a character if the remake is successful enough to prompt an entirely new title. And then there are other series less likely to return, but if they do, they stand a good chance at representation, just due to their number of titles/previous popularity, like Starfy, Custom Robo, or especially Takamaru.

And then with Ring Fit, I honestly think they have enough in their favor to just be included as is. The game has sold, like, 15 million copies. That's absolutely insane for a new IP. That's higher than every Zelda game but one. But if and when the series continues, that will only be the cherry on top.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
There's something I've been meaning to talk about on here, specifically regarding 1st party picks. There was a piece of fanart I came across recently, regarding a person's picks for Smash Ultimate, and it made me wonder... are first-parties really that low on the totem pole these days?

By the way, this was the person's picks:
smash_switch_dream_wishlist_by_genoforsmash_dbkwph4.png

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
There's something I've been meaning to talk about on here, specifically regarding 1st party picks. There was a piece of fanart I came across recently, regarding a person's picks for Smash Ultimate, and it made me wonder... are first-parties really that low on the totem pole these days?

View attachment 358135
Huh. Fanart of Robo-Mario. Never thought I'd see the day.

But with these picks in particular... yeah, a lot of them ain't happening. Most of them are obscure one-offs, and even some of the third-party choices here are no-go's. I love Amigo as much as the next guy, but why would Sega go for him over, say, a second Sonic rep?

Also, not to be THAT person, but Boogerman is one of those characters I can confidently say is NEVER happening. Not in this life. Not in the next life. Not even the life after that.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I would say that person's "picks" was literally just them opening up the Nintendo wiki and adding as many characters as they could find. And I say that despite the fact that all of my most-wanted characters are actually in there(Hayabusa, Rizer, Arthur, Kunio). But they're lost in a sea of random literal whos.

Also guessing that was made pre-Ultimate considering several of those characters were added in Ultimate already(KRool, Banjo, Daisy, Terry, Hero, Simon, Kazuya).

Last edited:

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
With MultiVersus having the Iron Giant, it has me thinking if that kind of character size will ever exist in Smash.

Ridley is the obvious example - if Sakurai goes this route I can easily see him getting a resize. But other giant characters, such as Grima, could potentially see this as an opportunity.

So do you think Sakurai might ever put in Iron Giant-style B E E G characters, or will he stick to resizes?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
With MultiVersus having the Iron Giant, it has me thinking if that kind of character size will ever exist in Smash.

Ridley is the obvious example - if Sakurai goes this route I can easily see him getting a resize. But other giant characters, such as Grima, could potentially see this as an opportunity.

So do you think Sakurai might ever put in Iron Giant-style B E E G characters, or will he stick to resizes?
I’d really like to see the larger Smash characters get a bit closer to their canonical sizes. Bowser, Ridley, K. Rool, and Ganondorf are all smaller than they should be, although Ganondorf doesn’t look too bad scaled down to his Smash size. Another idea I had was to represent Xenoblade 3 with a playable combined Ouroboros form of Noah and Mio. Medusa would be another cool idea for a larger character.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It wouldn't be a compromise that would satisfy many, but an unconventional fighters mode where you could control very large/out there characters like Master or Crazy Hand would be pretty fun.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
perhaps. but he still has no personality
The older I get the more I hate this criticism.

It's such a nothing statement that can't be countered because it doesn't mean anything.

Every character has a personality. Even the deliberate lack of a personality can be considered a personality.

"No personality" is just a way to say "I don't like this character."

And I'm not even that fond of Corrin. But sheesh.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Yeah people gotta stop bringing up personality like it means anything at all other than why you might or might not personally like a character.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord

It's such a nothing statement that can't be countered because it doesn't mean anything.

Every character has a personality. Even the deliberate lack of a personality can be considered a personality.

Thank. You.

In my view Corrin having "no personality" is patently false anyway. He's compassionate, he's kind, and he is filled with love for his world and the people he meets (most of them anyway). He's also incredibly gentle and laidback (moreso the male) and has a bit of a jokester side (moreso the female - which I think is why the female tends to be preferred among many FE fans).

But I better calm down, I don't mean to upset anyone. If you wanna see why I think so highly of Corrin, I went on a ramble here about it

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

that's where you're wrong i'm afraid. i DO like corrin

is it that unlikely that someone would criticise something they like?

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Huh. Fanart of Robo-Mario. Never thought I'd see the day.

But with these picks in particular... yeah, a lot of them ain't happening. Most of them are obscure one-offs, and even some of the third-party choices here are no-go's. I love Amigo as much as the next guy, but why would Sega go for him over, say, a second Sonic rep?

Also, not to be THAT person, but Boogerman is one of those characters I can confidently say is NEVER happening. Not in this life. Not in the next life. Not even the life after that.
I would say that person's "picks" was literally just them opening up the Nintendo wiki and adding as many characters as they could find. And I say that despite the fact that all of my most-wanted characters are actually in there(Hayabusa, Rizer, Arthur, Kunio). But they're lost in a sea of random literal whos.

Also guessing that was made pre-Ultimate considering several of those characters were added in Ultimate already(KRool, Banjo, Daisy, Terry, Hero, Simon, Kazuya).
Don't get me wrong, I don't expect the majority of these folks (despite how much I'd like Lark from Pilotwings 64). Well, at least... not as heavy-hitter additions. Maybe as a retro/'WTF' pick.

It just makes me wonder... are first-parties not considered a viable option for Smash anymore? Like, are they just not as big of a draw anymore like they used to be?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Don't get me wrong, I don't expect the majority of these folks (despite how much I'd like Lark from Pilotwings 64). Well, at least... not as heavy-hitter additions. Maybe as a retro/'WTF' pick.

It just makes me wonder... are first-parties not considered a viable option for Smash anymore? Like, are they just not as big of a draw anymore like they used to be?
I think they still are, at least for the franchises that already have characters in Smash.

Completely new series... well, most of the prominent Nintendo series are already in Smash but I can still see Astral Chain, Ring Fit Adventure, Golden Sun, and Rhythm Heaven being notable additions.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So... popular opinion says the new first party series to look for are...

Ring Fit Adventure :New IP and super successful
Astral Chain: New IP and moderately successful
Golden Sun: Popular request
Rhythm Heaven: Almost got in once before

Are there any other first party series that seem feasible?

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I think that it just seems that way to some people in the aftermath of a long DLC cycle in which third party additions came at an accelerated rate. The floodgates are definitely more open now and so people will continue to dream on the more out-there third party picks; since more characters are viewed as realistic possibilities now, I expect a little of that 3P momentum to carry over but definitely not all of it. Especially once more people realize that base games realistically don't get more than like 1-2 third party newcomers. Add on top of this that just bringing back the 3Ps we have now would be a monumental and budget-sucking task, and yeah, you can easily see support shifting more towards 1Ps for a base game roster at least.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well, since the site was dead for awhile:

Man imagine if they added Splatoon to Smash.

Wait a minute...
In the next game I hope the Inklings get their Splatoon 2 or 3 designs, plus some Octoling alts (as far as echoes go, I want Marie most)

Laniv

Smash Champion

I guess Panel de Pon, Murasame Castle, or Chibi-Robo could be cool retro series to bring back, or Style Savvy as a left field Wii Fit-esque pick.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Solely on merit there are several. Many have sales and reception at least comparable to a handful of series currently on the roster. It's just that the selection process unfairly disadvantages them unless they happen to have a recent successful release.

Ivander

Smash Legend

I guess it really depends on who they want. It's not like Sakurai hasn't shown interest in characters who got in as Assist Trophies, like Takamaru and Saki. But it still depends on how much Sakurai and Nintendo prioritise other characters over them, especially with 3rd Parties in the mix.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

As far as franchises whom are already represented go, I think Zelda, Animal Crossing, Pokemon and Xenoblade are sure shots.

Top Bottom