• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
As far as franchises whom are already represented go, I think Zelda, Animal Crossing, Pokemon and Xenoblade are sure shots.
I'd add Kirby and Fire Emblem too. Bandana Dee has been requested for a long time now, and with ballot heavy-hitters like Sora in, Bandana Dee's pretty much a sure-shot as much as I wish it was Susie instead. Meanwhile a rep for a big new FE game is pretty much a guarantee, knowing Nintendo

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Another topic, what characters you guys feel need a change in their movesets ?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
ninjara

i wouldn't say GS is quite where earthbound is. half of indie gaming is trying to be earthbound which can't be said for GS
To be fair, it's easier to rip off the asthetic of Earthbound than it is Golden sun. loll

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
Kirby for definite. His moveset is very much a product of its time. The copy abilities for every character are awesome, yes, but his up special absolutely bores me, his side special isn't much better, and dear god of all the things you could do for Kirby's A attacks you make him KICK for 99.9% of them? Giving back his meteor dash attack from Melee was a good start, but imagine giving him Sword for a multi-jab, Hi-Jump for an up-B, a Whip tether grab, the possibilities are endless. And DEFINITELY give him a new Final Smash. Ultra Sword sucks :secretkpop:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Just Zelda, but only to give her Light Arrows as either a projectile normal or replace Phantom.

Even then I think changing only 1-5 moves on the other characters at a time is good. I don't want a big change like the garbage that is Smash 4-on Bowser. And no, him being more "faithful to canon" doesn't matter to me.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Samus, Joker, Min Min, Daisy, Diddy Kong, Kirby, Mega Man, and Lucario. I think there are some things that need to be changed with most Roster Members, but these are the most significant ones for me.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Ganondorf should have had a moveset based on Ocarina of Time from the beginning.
He punches in Smash and punches in OoT.

If you want him to throw energy orbs, that will be like giving DK in Smash a barrel throw. It wouldn't fit either of their close-range heavy designs at all.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Kirby, Lucario, Sonic, Toon Link, Peach, Little Mac, and to a lesser extent, Dr. Mario and Wario

Also, Ridley really needs his pogo tail move.

SPEN18

Smash Champion

If you want him to throw energy orbs, that will be like giving DK in Smash a barrel throw. It wouldn't fit either of their close-range heavy designs at all.
But if we're talking about hypothetical moveset do-overs, then who says Ganondorf has to be designed as a close-range heavy to begin with?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I think that it just seems that way to some people in the aftermath of a long DLC cycle in which third party additions came at an accelerated rate. The floodgates are definitely more open now and so people will continue to dream on the more out-there third party picks; since more characters are viewed as realistic possibilities now, I expect a little of that 3P momentum to carry over but definitely not all of it. Especially once more people realize that base games realistically don't get more than like 1-2 third party newcomers. Add on top of this that just bringing back the 3Ps we have now would be a monumental and budget-sucking task, and yeah, you can easily see support shifting more towards 1Ps for a base game roster at least.
Oh, don't get me wrong. At this point, I've come to expect that first parties (even the most obscure of them) will more likely than not be saved for the base roster, while 'special cases' could be made for DLC.

This was why, as obscure as they may be, I would still hold out hope for the likes of characters like Lark, the Hayami siblings (Ryota and Akari), Ayumi Tachibana, Isaac, Takamaru, Saki, Andy, Ray, Lip, Chibi-Robo, etc.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Part of the focus away from first-parties is because what preceded the end of Ultimate was three years of a third-party focus, with the first parties during that duration being more promotion-focused. Or at least of a vein more specific than what base provides.

And in true nature of the fanbase, the fanbase focuses on recent additions. First-parties will obviously continue to happen as well, and we will probably get a few fanbase favorites as well as the more recency-based additions. It's just that it's only the latter that populated DLC, and it's been four years since the former, so the fanbase, with its goldfish memory, angles away from expecting those kind of additions.

During Ultimate itself the fanbase focus went from recent first-parties to fan favorites to promotional additions to third-parties back to promotional additions and then ended on big third-parties, which you can chart directly to the kind of reveals that were happening at any given time.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So... popular opinion says the new first party series to look for are...

Ring Fit Adventure :New IP and super successful
Astral Chain: New IP and moderately successful
Golden Sun: Popular request
Rhythm Heaven: Almost got in once before

Are there any other first party series that seem feasible?
Not sure if you would count this as a “franchise”, but honestly I could easily see Labo being represented as a character even if I loathe the idea. Historically Nintendo and Sakurai do tend to focus on what was big or important working the previous era, and there is no denying Nintendo did make a strong push for Labo. I’d say it at least is probably in that realm of discussion similar to what we got with WFT.

Now, we have not see much exploration of Labo since 2019 and it certainly did not catch on that hard, but I could easily see Nintendo doing a Labo themed character as this sort of wtf pick.
Part of the focus away from first-parties is because what preceded the end of Ultimate was three years of a third-party focus, with the first parties during that duration being more promotion-focused. Or at least of a vein more specific than what base provides.

And in true nature of the fanbase, the fanbase focuses on recent additions. First-parties will obviously continue to happen as well, and we will probably get a few fanbase favorites as well as the more recency-based additions. It's just that it's only the latter that populated DLC, and it's been four years since the former, so the fanbase, with its goldfish memory, angles away from expecting those kind of additions.

During Ultimate itself the fanbase focus went from recent first-parties to fan favorites to promotional additions to third-parties back to promotional additions and then ended on big third-parties, which you can chart directly to the kind of reveals that were happening at any given time.
I think the bigger reason we did not see that much of a focus on first parties is there wasn’t a ton of new stuff really to push that wasn’t already highlighted in 4. The Wii U/3DS era were not exactly the kindest to pushing big new Nintendo ideas and games. While obviously they missed some picks like Elma or Bandana Dee, it’s pretty clear this was a bit of an awkward era for Nintendo in terms of rounding out a roster of big new characters when you do not have the switch and it’s explosion of games on standby.

For example on why this era was bad, look at Corrin. No this isn’t a “Corrin bad” post. Genuinely think of how many viable picks for a promo character for 2015-16 Nintendo there were. Honestly, it was not a great era and it kind of makes sense why we did not see Nintendo do a traditional roster at this point. There just were not many easy picks to go with. You can easily make a roster for smash 6 with a dozen first parties from the switch era, but doing so for ultimate would be brutal. It’s telling what we got was just Inkling, Isabelle, and Incineroar in terms of easy low hanging fruit from that era.

I think it’s very likely both first parties and third parties are going to remain very relevant in smash’s future for speculation. The genie is out of the bottle on third parties and there are plenty of huge third party requests left. That being said, the switch is such a bastion of first party ideas that can be represented I do not think anyone needs to doompost about first parties dying out. I think most likely smash will continue to represent the new hotness for first parties while casting a broad net for third parties.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I'm of two minds with this. On one hand, yes, if a character has a lot of moves that don't fit their intended playstyle, they tend to suffer for it due to lack of moveset cohesion. This is a fan game example, but SSF2's take on Bandana Waddle Dee is, to me, a poster child for this problem. None of his moves fit together well as a moveset (or even thematically, seriously why does he have Beam moves for like half of his attacks), and he's honestly a total trainwreck of a character.

But on the other hand, at times an attack that "doesn't fit" is used to complement the moveset instead of contradicting it. An example of this goes back to the original game: Captain Falcon. He's incredibly fast, still being the second fastest fighter on the roster after only Sonic, and he's able to bring out flashy, multi-hit combos in an instant. He rewards good movement and fundamentals incredibly well, and forces the foe to stay on their toes.

So why is his signature move an incredibly slow, highly telegraphed overkill option? Because the Falcon Punch is flashy. It's a flex in attack form. And because of that, it fits well into Falcon's over-the-top extreme nature, even if the move specifically goes against his entire playstyle.

That's the kind of thing that I picture Dead Man's Volley as: a complementary move. Giving Ganondorf an attack that grows stronger with each reflection, and allowing him to have a way to quickly send it back while the foe doesn't, exudes the concept of power, which Ganondorf is based around. The knowledge that you need to respect this move, or else he'll just end your stock right then and there. It sparks fear, totally befitting an evil warlock monster man. It also, as a result, gives Ganondorf something he's really missing: a safe way to approach. Wizard's Foot and lol Flame Choke just don't cut it. But adding projectile pressure? That absolutely does, and at the very least, it limits the ways rushdown opponents can approach him, which is equally as important.

So while I agree with the sentiment in some ways, there are ways where it absolutely does work. You can end up a Bandana Waddle Dee, or you can end up a Captain Falcon.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I guess Panel de Pon, Murasame Castle, or Chibi-Robo could be cool retro series to bring back, or Style Savvy as a left field Wii Fit-esque pick.
I was thinking the same thing about retro picks. Murasame Castle definitely seems possible. I think Clu Clu Land is another possibility too.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I think the bigger reason we did not see that much of a focus on first parties is there wasn’t a ton of new stuff really to push that wasn’t already highlighted in 4. The Wii U/3DS era were not exactly the kindest to pushing big new Nintendo ideas and games. While obviously they missed some picks like Elma or Bandana Dee, it’s pretty clear this was a bit of an awkward era for Nintendo in terms of rounding out a roster of big new characters when you do not have the switch and it’s explosion of games on standby.

For example on why this era was bad, look at Corrin. No this isn’t a “Corrin bad” post. Genuinely think of how many viable picks for a promo character for 2015-16 Nintendo there were. Honestly, it was not a great era and it kind of makes sense why we did not see Nintendo do a traditional roster at this point. There just were not many easy picks to go with. You can easily make a roster for smash 6 with a dozen first parties from the switch era, but doing so for ultimate would be brutal. It’s telling what we got was just Inkling, Isabelle, and Incineroar in terms of easy low hanging fruit from that era.
I don't think having enough picks was ever an issue, especially given how many popular requests didn't even make it into Ult. Even if we accept the claim that there were not as many big, recently prominent stars to add (which I think is not entirely true anyway, especially if you're willing to add a few picks like Dee to the ones we actually got), then in a scenario with more newcomers, you would very likely have simply seen more characters in the vein of the back end of 4's picks: smaller 1P series getting a first rep (like Shulk), maybe an NES retro (like Duck Hunt), or popular tertiary characters from existing series (like Bowser Jr.). We don't know exactly how close specific characters like Isaac, Waluigi, Dee, etc. were to actually making it, but those kinds of characters I think are more or less in the right arena of what could have filled out a bigger newcomer roster. And we can add to that things like Dixie that might be able to borrow some resources from another character. Despite not necessarily being the carrying members of the newcomer team, those additions can be just as valuable to the roster. And let's not forget that things like Ridley, Inkling, and Isabelle are huge on their own and ease a ton of stress off the other picks in terms of maintaining draw for a new game.

Bottom line: if you start with the 6 unique newcomers we already got (7 if you count the plant), it is not hard at all to craft multiple solid paths to like 10+ unique newcomers, even when limiting yourself to like 1 more 3P besides Simon and maybe 1 more clone.

In any case, having fewer rising stars to push doesn't explain why only one non-Echo base game newcomer was third party. And as has been said many times over, the greater number of third parties in DLC doesn't really say anything about the supply of 1P picks since DLC was quite clearly a very different game, even going back to 4.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Not much of a focus when? The focus of the fanbase during Ultimate vacillated pretty much between three focuses. Recent/promotional characters (which happened right at the beginning, after Nintendo was announced as the DLC selector, and intermittently from Byleth to the end), fanbase favorites, several of whom were first parties (which happened from E3 18 to the DLC announcement - the third-party side would continue into DLC, but the first-party stopped then, Waluigi aside), and third-parties, which obv happened since the beginning, but really picked up after Joker until the end.

There were chunks of first-party focus, such as during base, when Nintendo was announced as the ones behind the DLC choices (before Joker's reveal), and regularly throughout the second pass. It wasn't for a lack of stuff. At varying points Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade and ARMS were big points of discussion, as well as specific characters like Inkling, Isabelle, Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac, Waluigi, Ashley, BWD and Skull Kid, among others. Astral Chain and Ring Fit were also talking points for a bit before they were deconfirmed.

Well aside from Corrin there was also Inkling and Elma, just from 2015, who come from series with much less representation, and as new or smaller IPs, might've benefitted more from the promotion (in theory at least for Splatoon, it obv didn't end up needing it).

I think it’s very likely both first parties and third parties are going to remain very relevant in smash’s future for speculation. The genie is out of the bottle on third parties and there are plenty of huge third party requests left. That being said, the switch is such a bastion of first party ideas that can be represented I do not think anyone needs to doompost about first parties dying out. I think most likely smash will continue to represent the new hotness for first parties while casting a broad net for third parties.
I agree that first-parties aren't going to die out, but it's not like the years which preceded Ultimate was a desert in terms of notable unincluded first-parties showing up. Dixie, Waluigi, Ashley, BWD, Elma, Paper Mario, and, if you count HW, basically all the notable Zelda characters showed up in that era. It doesn't just have to be new IP.

Not that that would even really matter considering how base treated first-party inclusions, and was as limited as it was by design, not due to a shortage of choices. I don't think fan favorite choices are done, I just think they'll be quite limited, and relegated solely to base, while DLC continues with a focus on third-parties and what's happened lately.

That is, of course, assuming Smash doesn't adopt a more live service kind of rollout where the majority of characters are DLC.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
-Give Ganondorf a completely unique moveset based on Hyrule Warriors Trident Ganondorf.
-Make Black Shadow the Echo of Captain Falcon and give him Ganondorf's old moveset.
-Give Chrom a new unique moveset. Make Lucina his Echo. Make Roy Marth's Echo.
-Give Falco the Sniper Rifle and Wolf the Machine Gun from StarFox Assault.
-Replace Mario's FLUDD with Cappy.
-Give Young Link and Toon Link different subweapons so they aren't just using the same Bow/Bomb/Boomerang combo as Adult Link.

Quillion

Smash Hero
But on the other hand, at times an attack that "doesn't fit" is used to complement the moveset instead of contradicting it. An example of this goes back to the original game: Captain Falcon. He's incredibly fast, still being the second fastest fighter on the roster after only Sonic, and he's able to bring out flashy, multi-hit combos in an instant. He rewards good movement and fundamentals incredibly well, and forces the foe to stay on their toes.

So why is his signature move an incredibly slow, highly telegraphed overkill option? Because the Falcon Punch is flashy. It's a flex in attack form. And because of that, it fits well into Falcon's over-the-top extreme nature, even if the move specifically goes against his entire playstyle.

That's the kind of thing that I picture Dead Man's Volley as: a complementary move. Giving Ganondorf an attack that grows stronger with each reflection, and allowing him to have a way to quickly send it back while the foe doesn't, exudes the concept of power, which Ganondorf is based around. The knowledge that you need to respect this move, or else he'll just end your stock right then and there. It sparks fear, totally befitting an evil warlock monster man. It also, as a result, gives Ganondorf something he's really missing: a safe way to approach. Wizard's Foot and lol Flame Choke just don't cut it. But adding projectile pressure? That absolutely does, and at the very least, it limits the ways rushdown opponents can approach him, which is equally as important.
Funnily enough, I really think both Falcon Punch and Warlock Punch should take the same fix but in different ways: add a weak version of the move by just tapping B while the existing "overkill version" remains by just holding B. But both weak versions should have different properties: weak Falcon Punch would be a combination of combo starter and recovery move, giving Falcon a bit of extra distance in the air while landing it as an attack sets up for followups. Weak Warlock Punch should be the reflector everyone wants, but with NO PROJECTILE, with the wrinkle that it's the most powerful reflector in terms of damage boost; landing weak Warlock Punch is just a non-killing, mid-high-knockback keepaway move instead.

In regards to giving Ganondorf a projectile and other ranged options, I'd like to note again that they arbitrarily had to make Sephiroth a lightweight because he had crazy range and power on both melee and projectiles just out of pure game design principles. I really can't see a Ganondorf with all of his canon abilities (weapons and magic projectiles both) PLUS his heavy weight be anything but overpowered. Heck, I don't even have to imagine, as seen here.

Also, if Ganondorf needs more approach options within his current design, I think just armoring Wizfoot and Flame Choke plus giving him the strongest "tough guy" armor over Bowser and Kazuya would be the best option.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Samus, Joker, Min Min, Daisy, Diddy Kong, Kirby, Mega Man, and Lucario. I think there are some things that need to be changed with most Roster Members, but these are the most significant ones for me.
Curious you said Diddy, he's not often mentioned in this. What's the thing you wanna see changed in his moveset?

AlRex

Smash Lord
I'm of the opinion they should redesign Ganondorf from the ground up or swap him out for the trident pig beast Ganon, but I dunno. I think there is perhaps too much clinging to...very odd and sometimes arbitrary decisions, but I understand getting rid of things makes people uneasy.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm of the opinion they should redesign Ganondorf from the ground up or swap him out for the trident pig beast Ganon, but I dunno. I think there is perhaps too much clinging to...very odd and sometimes arbitrary decisions, but I understand getting rid of things makes people uneasy.
Yeah there’s a lot about smash fans that seem set in their ways

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Remove Banana and bring in the cut mechanics relating to Dixie.
That would complicate Diddy too much I feel, he doesn't need Dixie and Dixie needs to be her own character. And I don't trust them to make Diddy competitively viable without the Banana.

As for characters I'd revamp: Samus (just slightly, more blasting less physical stuff and add the melee counter) , Mario (remove FLUDD and do whatever I don't care) , DK (Headbutt needs to go at least, more punches less slaps too, better recovery), Mewtwo (less tail more psychic powers, also I'd get rid of Disable and even Confusion) , Kirby, Ganondorf, Zelda, Charizard.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
That would complicate Diddy too much I feel, he doesn't need Dixie and Dixie needs to be her own character. And I don't trust them to make Diddy competitively viable without the Banana.

As for characters I'd revamp: Samus (just slightly, more blasting less physical stuff and add the melee counter) , Mario (remove FLUDD and do whatever I don't care) , DK (Headbutt needs to go at least, more punches less slaps too, better recovery), Mewtwo (less tail more psychic powers, also I'd get rid of Disable and even Confusion) , Kirby, Ganondorf, Zelda, Charizard.
I feel like as long as Diddy is Fast and Dixie is Great in the air it could be balanced.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Random question: has sakurai ever talked about how he picks stages?
I don't think he went over some kind of clear criteria. He has spoken of cases where a stage was switched with another(Yarn Kirby stage switched with Yarn Yoshi stage or vice versa or something like that), and I remember him saying all the stages in Ultimate were done from scratch(for... some reason. Like, why not port and update a bunch? You'd get way more that way. But eh. Odd development choice).

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Third parties are just more hype. There's really nothing to it other than they just inherently are or at least are better set up to be. It has nothing to do with the Ultimate cycle specifically. Third party inherently means crossingover with Nintendo's cast of characters. First-party options are to increase the representation of existing series with either fan requests or promotional picks or adding a new series. The former is fine but it's just fine at best because it's to be expected and it's mostly just more of the same even with fan-favorites like Krystal or Skull Kid making it and the latter is at least adding a new franchise to mix but let's be honest about Nintendo's unrepresented series in that they'd hardly be getting into the game on their own merits minus like the Ring Fit Trainer guy/gal maybe. Like most third parties would get laughed out of the discussion if they were showing numbers like Xenoblade and Astral Chain with Banjo being the one exception to this so far though (and I could be wrong) I think Banjo-Kazooie might have sold more than Xenoblade so far if you don't count the other Xeno series into the equation.
Hmmmm Sonic is my legitimate answer. I had a rough post somewhere where I laid out some things I would change about him. If they could just give him his Project M FAIR and unique Side-Special I'd be mostly satisfied but you could go further than that too. I don't really mind his other spin moves other than the Side-Special. NAIR makes sense since it's like your main attack in the classic games. Up-Smash is a cool multi-hit and I'm probably forgetting a few others but they mostly feel right to me. I think Down-Throw is another and it's like where he rolls all over them Puff style. Yeah that one's cool too.

My illegitimate answer is Banjo & Kazooie. I think way more could have been done with them on top of the moveset they were given. I think they were robbed of the DLC treatment that all the other characters got. Sakurai just made Wonderwing a really good attack for building damage and finishing stocks, put an extremely weaksauce limitation on it with no alternative reward strategy for good Banjo players versus bad Banjo players and called it a day with them. I think out of all the DLC it really looks like Sakurai was the least passionate about Banjo and that makes me sad.

I'll just go ahead and link my revision if anybody is interested in reading my full take on the situation. I think my additional aerials gimmick is a very creative one that further emphasizes Sakurai's design philosophy around them and I addressed other shortcomings on top of giving him a cool Shield-Special that'd give him another fun zoning tool.

https://smashboards.com/threads/nex...scussion-thread.515747/page-211#post-24692586

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't think he went over some kind of clear criteria. He has spoken of cases where a stage was switched with another(Yarn Kirby stage switched with Yarn Yoshi stage or vice versa or something like that), and I remember him saying all the stages in Ultimate were done from scratch(for... some reason. Like, why not port and update a bunch? You'd get way more that way. But eh. Odd development choice).
i thought he said that he meant just the melee stages that hadn't been back before?

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
They redid most of the Stages. The Smash Wii U ones have been proven to be direct ports from Smash Wii U.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
i thought he said that he meant just the melee stages that hadn't been back before?
I remember it as all were made from scratch, but I haven't seen the quote in ages. That'd make a lot more sense, imo. Either way, they clearly took a lot of time, so it makes sense that his priorities weren't purely on getting every stage back. Not all AT's were back either, or Trophies turned into Spirits, etc. Albeit, from my understanding, he had his team choose the Spirits(with of course at least Sakurai making sure each Spirit was plausible, cause licensing issues still exist, etc. So if some didn't make it in, that's one possible reason why).

JOJONumber691 JOJONumber691 Ah, thank you.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I suppose it makes sense that a new 3rd party got more hype during the dlc phase but during base speculation for the next game I'm gonna say I'll be hyped for any newcomers
Given what we know about the Smash 4 ballot, I think that, given base game consideration, the best time for a new ballot will be an interim between Smash installments.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Say, here's a more out-there topic for Smash:

Basically, a newly-elected Japanese politition is working to have game preservation treated the same way as other types of preservation: as in, making it important. Now I'll admit, I'm PROBABLY overestimating how big of a deal this is for Smash in particular, but if this works out, how do you think it'll affect certain characters/franchises' chances (if at all)?

Top Bottom