• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Ivander

Smash Legend
I remember Banjo scoring high, but in Japan? Do you have link?
I guess I should've said relatively instead of exclusively. But my point stands
Basically, according to Push who translates the stuff Sakurai talks about in the Famitsu Columns, Banjo-Kazooie was one of the most popular voted characters behind Sora and he was voted alot from both the West and Japan.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Chuderz Chuderz : Cutscene FS are visually interesting tbf. But gameplay-wise? Not so much.

And yeah, some old transformation FS can work as install supers. But most of them probably wouldn't work like Giga Bowser, Diddy, or Super Sonic.
Yeah I could see Super Sonic working though. Either that or improve his Final Smash alongside Diddy's so that it functions like Pikachu's where every move is a guaranteed connect until the end of the sequence. I don't understand why Pikachu's works like that but Sonic's and Diddy's don't. Seems kind of dumb.

Giga Bowser could only function properly as a boss other than the fact that he used to be Bowser's Final Smash transformation. I'd like it though if all bosses could also be Assist Trophies like Rathalos. Would be a good use of resources.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I'm amused by Smash Taunt with Pit's Palutena's Guidance and Solid Snake's Codec Conversations (which unfortunately he did not comment on all but the characters in Super Smash Bros. Brawl). Anyway, I hope at least Palutena's Guidance will be included in future games of the Super Smash Bros. series.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I figure I may as well weigh in on the whole... super specials and Final Smashes Chuderz Chuderz and Quillion Quillion are having. I'm mentioning them because at this point I'm not sure which posts to quote.

My thoughts on cutscene Final Smashes is that in a game where there can be players to whom the Final Smash is entirely irrelevant, there better be a good reason for a Final Smash to commandeer the camera. Unfortunately, most that do... don't have such a reason. You're telling me Grand Cross had to teleport us to some bloodsoaked valley? Chain Attack had to take place in the middle of scenic White Void? They couldn't have just, like... done it? Don't even get me started on Pyra, Mythra, and Kazuya's! The Final Smash starts somewhere else, but actually takes place on the stage! They are demonstrating my point for me: these Final Smashes do not need to teleport us somewhere else!

Now, there are some cutscene FSes that actually do earn the right to change the scene. King Dedede's Final Smash is based on the Masked Dedede fight and one of the things it takes from that is the cage, which is actively part of the choreography. Supernova's entire point is watching the big meteor destroy the solar system, and you can't see that from the stage. Captain Falcon's Final Smash - the very first cinematic FS - is about crashing into the opponent on the racetrack; for which there needs to be a racetrack. That isn't all of them, but it feels like they're vastly outnumbered by the ones that teleport you somewhere else for the hell of it.

It's not like we can't just... have someone do a string of attacks and not change the camera. There are a lot of FSes like that. And that's ignoring that, like... there are a whole bunch of potential things you can do in a Final Smash beyond just "make the character hit you a bunch" and "do something unbalanced and annoying". Are we just going to ignore the concept of "shooting a big laser"? We have several like that already and we could easily have more.

...Anyway, now that I've said my piece on that: y'all have been envisioning super specials and Final Smashes coexisting? I've definitely been thinking this whole "Y super" arrangement would just be what Final Smashes evolved into, not as its own thing. I guess it makes more sense if you go with the EX moves idea, but my version of the concept was always them being... well, outright supers.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Okay, I'm just gonna say it: if Xbox can get Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden, AND Persona 5 Royal, then there is LITERALLY NOTHING stopping Atlus from putting those games on Switch. Soul Hackers 2 is stupid enough, but they're just... sitting on free money here.

It'd at least make Joker's inclusion easier to justify...

Quillion

Smash Hero
Okay, I'm just gonna say it: if Xbox can get Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden, AND Persona 5 Royal, then there is LITERALLY NOTHING stopping Atlus from putting those games on Switch. Soul Hackers 2 is stupid enough, but they're just... sitting on free money here.

It'd at least make Joker's inclusion easier to justify...
Eh, they'll probably just take the cloud option considering every studio implicitly thinks the Switch is close to done.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Basically, according to Push who translates the stuff Sakurai talks about in the Famitsu Columns, Banjo-Kazooie was one of the most popular voted characters behind Sora and he was voted alot from both the West and Japan.
Should come as no surprise. I always told people this. Most Smash fans who started playing since Smash 64 have also played Banjo Kazooie. It's one of the most ambitious and critically acclaimed platform games of the N64, and Smash Bros is a platform fighter. Japan loved these games too, it also really loved DK64 and if I recall correctly they never had much backlash over that game there as here.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wonder why Punch-Out!! isn't very popular in Japan.

Have they just not played it? Do they see it as lame? It's just so strange to see something so beloved in the west be almost unknown over there. Especially since it was made by Japanese people. Was the Wii game not popular? It's so well made.

This makes me wonder how they'd react to an Advance Wars character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I wonder why Punch-Out!! isn't very popular in Japan.

Have they just not played it? Do they see it as lame? It's just so strange to see something so beloved in the west be almost unknown over there. Especially since it was made by Japanese people. Was the Wii game not popular? It's so well made.

A lot of it is likely a cultural thing. Punch-Out!!'s popularity in the west, the US especially, stemmed a lot from the celebrity aspect, with Mike Tyson being at basically the height of his career when the NES game came out. It brought a ton of spotlight to the series, so much so that it's remembered fondly so long after the contract expired, and people will still call the series "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" a lot of the time. It was at the right place at the right time to become a household name among NES titles.

Whereas in Japan it was like, just another NES game, for the most part. So it came and went closer to something like Excitebike, with the Wii game being maybe equivalent to ExciteBots or Excitetruck.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Considering that Days of Ruin didn't release in Japan until 2013 as a platinum status award for 3DS holders and I don't even know if there even is a release date for Reboot Camp in Japan(and I think I heard stuff about Advance Wars not being shown in the JP Directs), I wouldn't be surprised if there were lots of "Who?" from Japan if an Advance Wars character got in, even if a few may recognise Andy from his Spirit in Ultimate.

Thinking about characters and popularity among countries just reminds me how much I wish there were more Stages for non-character represented games, since stages don't need to worry about popularity and give free awareness for those games. An Advance Wars stage taking atop of a small city that is constantly getting captured by the different groups and COs(a representation of the soldier units taking over a city/building area) with different effects happening to the stage depending on who is in control, would be cool.

Edit: Gif for reference.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I figure I may as well weigh in on the whole... super specials and Final Smashes Chuderz Chuderz and Quillion Quillion are having. I'm mentioning them because at this point I'm not sure which posts to quote.

My thoughts on cutscene Final Smashes is that in a game where there can be players to whom the Final Smash is entirely irrelevant, there better be a good reason for a Final Smash to commandeer the camera. Unfortunately, most that do... don't have such a reason. You're telling me Grand Cross had to teleport us to some bloodsoaked valley? Chain Attack had to take place in the middle of scenic White Void? They couldn't have just, like... done it? Don't even get me started on Pyra, Mythra, and Kazuya's! The Final Smash starts somewhere else, but actually takes place on the stage! They are demonstrating my point for me: these Final Smashes do not need to teleport us somewhere else!

Now, there are some cutscene FSes that actually do earn the right to change the scene. King Dedede's Final Smash is based on the Masked Dedede fight and one of the things it takes from that is the cage, which is actively part of the choreography. Supernova's entire point is watching the big meteor destroy the solar system, and you can't see that from the stage. Captain Falcon's Final Smash - the very first cinematic FS - is about crashing into the opponent on the racetrack; for which there needs to be a racetrack. That isn't all of them, but it feels like they're vastly outnumbered by the ones that teleport you somewhere else for the hell of it.
I agree that some of them are weak sauce and should change that by spicing up the backgrounds. I'm guessing that basic white/void background thing is just a path of least resistance for the flashy camera angles they want. Shulk's should really knock you into his game for it because I don't really see why not for that one specifically and I feel the same about Duck Hunt's in that it should transport the opponents to the Wild Gunman game because I just don't see why not? It'd definitely be nice but I guess it wasn't a priority for Smash team and that's understandable.

I also actually quite like Simon and Richter's. I'm a fan of darky edgy aesthetics so yeah but besides that I just think it's an interesting/vibrant background.

It's not like we can't just... have someone do a string of attacks and not change the camera. There are a lot of FSes like that. And that's ignoring that, like... there are a whole bunch of potential things you can do in a Final Smash beyond just "make the character hit you a bunch" and "do something unbalanced and annoying". Are we just going to ignore the concept of "shooting a big laser"? We have several like that already and we could easily have more.

...Anyway, now that I've said my piece on that: y'all have been envisioning super specials and Final Smashes coexisting? I've definitely been thinking this whole "Y super" arrangement would just be what Final Smashes evolved into, not as its own thing. I guess it makes more sense if you go with the EX moves idea, but my version of the concept was always them being... well, outright supers.
Yeah I call them inescapable-attack-sequences and they're really good because they provide an alternative method of creating a Final-Smash while also being able to co-exist equally with cutscene ones. Big blast beam Final-Smash-attacks are the closest of the more wackier/fun/uncompetitive Final-Smash-attacks that'd be able to be fit in under this philosophy of mine but I find them to be more of an actual move that's easier to land and offers kind of broken stage-control to the character doing it with the most unfair example being Inkling being able move around freely/attack while doing theirs. I think having a caveat where distinguishing competitive and uncompetitive Final-Smash-attacks in the advanced settings is the ideal solution here allowing for coexistence between both player preferences. Though I wouldn't even bother going through any of this if Smash team didn't implement basically all my suggestions to the Final-Smash meter system because there'd really be no point because making these attacks competitive is much more than limiting them to two designs models.

For that last part I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying. I've heard others here discuss turning the X and Y buttons into some sort of new directional system unique to their inputs akin to how A and B buttons work currently (default settings of course) that I guess you'd call supers as opposed to specials but I'm not really a big fan of that idea. Sure it'd be more room for much more moves (having at least 4 supers with neutral, side, up, down from I understand) I guess but I just don't think it's congruent with Smash and also wouldn't the button essentially do nothing until you were in your super-state? I'm not sure I'd like that and it's kind of why I'd like Final-Smash-meter to be exclusively generated by taking/landing hits as opposed to Super-Smash-Specials which I'd like to have Super-Smash-Specials have their own dedicated charge/quasi-Rebel's-Guard button in order to give the player an active role in garnering these buffed up Special-attacks. I also think having them just being buffed version of the characters' existing specials saves resources and even empowered states basically require a model and a simple change in the characters' attributes/stats whereas having these hypothetical distinguished super-inputs be unique attacks would take a lot more resources. I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding/misrepresenting your statements but that's what I got from it.

My priorities kind of tend to focus on expanding upon proven concepts already in the game by way of universal distribution among the cast, finding and eliminating redundant button-real-estate and expanding upon the current established inputs. For example I believe the A-button itself is heavily unexplored. I've offered more detailed thoughts on this with my moveset expansion post linked in my signature under the Overhead/Crouch attacks spoiler, Walkable Jabs spoiler and the Aerial-Smash-attack spoiler. I'd also support the Special being expanded upon with the addition Back-Specials and Shield-Specials given to the entire cast which would essentially max out the Special-input's potential.

And while I'd like Final-Smash to have its own dedicated button so that it could allow for the player to use their specials while having a Final-Smash on deck I'd like it to be exclusive to R3/L3 inputs (the Gamecube controller needs to catch up, that Panda update was pretty much EXACTLY what Nintendo should be officially offering and on that note it'd also be nice to get an Elite-Pro-Controller while we're at it giving the option for a more upper-end controller with macros buttons which are just nice to have in general but would also provide more space for all these hypothetical dedicated buttons I've proposed) because I believe that just like the right/c-stick you need to limit what's allowed for R3/L3 inputs because not everything could/should be able to be mapped to these inputs.

Anyways I'd just like there to be a dedicated button for charge/meter-counter (think Limit-Charge and Rebel's Guard respectively) for my proposed Super-Smash-Special design philosophy because I'd prefer to give the player a more active role in generating this meter and I think in doing so it'd add more depth to the game. That's really all there is to it.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
(the Gamecube controller needs to catch up, that Panda update was pretty much EXACTLY what Nintendo should be officially offering and on that note it'd also be nice to get an Elite-Pro-Controller while we're at it giving the option for a more upper-end controller with macros buttons which are just nice to have in general but would also provide more space for all these hypothetical dedicated buttons I've proposed)
YES PLEASE.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Yeah that one. I don't know why forgot the last bit part although I think I read it.
I seriously doubt Nintendo will pass up Halo because of Japan.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Yeah that one. I don't know why forgot the last bit part although I think I read it.
I seriously doubt Nintendo will pass up Halo because of Japan.
They probably wouldn't? Halo apparently has a notable fanbase in Japan. Although I'm not sure how big it is, I still remember quite a bunch of Western sites headlining about people in Japan being very disappointed about Master Chief's Seiyuu/JP Voice actor being different in Halo 4. I don't think it would've gotten so much attention had the JP fanbase been smaller.

And while it's very common to parrot the idea that Japan doesn't like FPS games, that's not really true in the slightest as there are a bunch of FPS games that are notably popular in Japan, the most recent one being Apex Legends. But besides that, Half-Life, Team Fortress 2 and especially Dead Space have notable fanbases in Japan. And I think even Sakurai talked about Half-Life in particular. And Doom probably has some notability there as well considering Doom Guy got in Smash as a Mii Costume.

So no, I don't think Nintendo would pass up Halo because of what Japan may prefer. It all really depends on how much Nintendo and Sakurai want Master Chief over other characters they want.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
For that last part I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying. I've heard others here discuss turning the X and Y buttons into some sort of new directional system unique to their inputs akin to how A and B buttons work currently (default settings of course) that I guess you'd call supers as opposed to specials but I'm not really a big fan of that idea. Sure it'd be more room for much more moves (having at least 4 supers with neutral, side, up, down from I understand) I guess but I just don't think it's congruent with Smash and also wouldn't the button be essentially do nothing until you were in your super-state?
I'm in favor of the Y button just throwing out a regular B special for the corresponding input if there isn't enough charge for a super special. The super special button doesn't necessarily have to do nothing if you don't have enough meter.

An alternative I thought of is just mapping smashes to Y (while removing A-stick smash as default) while A+B can be repurposed as the super special input.

I'm not sure I'd like that and it's kind of why I'd like Final-Smash-meter to be exclusively generated by taking/landing hits as opposed to Super-Smash-Specials which I'd like to have its own dedicated button in order to give the player an active role in garnering these buffed up Special-attacks. I also think having them just being buffed version of the characters' existing specials saves resources and even empowered states basically require a model and a simple change in the characters' attributes/stats whereas having these hypothetical distinguished super-inputs be unique attacks would take a lot more resources. I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding/misrepresenting your statements but that's what I got from it.
Why can't both the super special meter and the Final Smash meter be charged by taking and landing hits?

Admittedly, I'd just do away with the FS meter entirely and leave the FS to the Smash Ball, but I don't see why both super specials and FS can't be charged the same way.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Just a head's up, there's a chance that the Direct leaks suggesting it'll happen this week are bogus. I won't throw it out completely, but it's apparently more like this:

Man, imagine if Smash Ultimate's reveal had to be delayed due to no E3...

Quillion

Smash Hero
At this point, E3 feels like something that's nice to have but isn't really that necessary.

We're just going to have a rash of reveals this summer, E3 or not.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Does anybody actually still play Ultimate nowdays or have we dropped the game despite it being called the Ultimate Smash game?

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
They probably wouldn't? Halo apparently has a notable fanbase in Japan. Although I'm not sure how big it is, I still remember quite a bunch of Western sites headlining about people in Japan being very disappointed about Master Chief's Seiyuu/JP Voice actor being different in Halo 4. I don't think it would've gotten so much attention had the JP fanbase been smaller.

And while it's very common to parrot the idea that Japan doesn't like FPS games, that's not really true in the slightest as there are a bunch of FPS games that are notably popular in Japan, the most recent one being Apex Legends. But besides that, Half-Life, Team Fortress 2 and especially Dead Space have notable fanbases in Japan. And I think even Sakurai talked about Half-Life in particular. And Doom probably has some notability there as well considering Doom Guy got in Smash as a Mii Costume.

So no, I don't think Nintendo would pass up Halo because of what Japan may prefer. It all really depends on how much Nintendo and Sakurai want Master Chief over other characters they want.
I know Half-Life being a thing there, but TF2? Not trying to snark, but do you have proof?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Does anybody actually still play Ultimate nowdays or have we dropped the game despite it being called the Ultimate Smash game?
I still play Ultimate quite a lot casually against the AI. The main thing that keeps my interest lately is modding. There are tons of new mods releasing all of the time and I want to learn how to start importing models myself so I can add whoever I want into the game. I’ve spent the last few weeks going through all of my music and selecting over 2,000 songs I’m going to loop and add to the game.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Haven't really played much since unlocking every character and finishing WoL. TBH, dropped the game faster than Smash Wii U, and it's because of the feeling that I've been playing the game for years with only minor changes.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Almost every day. Still favor quickplay teams but I've noticed the activity has fallen off the last few months pretty much around end of February.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Yes, I still do.
I know Half-Life being a thing there, but TF2? Not trying to snark, but do you have proof?
I could've mistaken TF2. I thought I saw a detailed post about TF2's JP community, but I could've been mistaken and got it mixed up with China and Korea's communities as well as the TF2 community raising 300k for post-earthquake/tsunami relief services for Japan.

Edit: Oh, and maybe because of that rabbit Vtuber playing it.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
curious if smash direction would change if Sakurai no longer directing next smash game things such as fan demand might get ignored in their picks.
we are lucky we did get many ballot characters this time around.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
curious if smash direction would change if Sakurai no longer directing next smash game things such as fan demand might get ignored in their picks.
Smash could get either better or worse if they move on from Sakurai, depending on who the successor is. But in any case, I doubt they'd completely abandon consideration of fan demand, given the degree to which they've used it thus far and the fact that they were willing to conduct a large-scale ballot in order to get outside input.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think fan demand is always going to at least going to be an important factor to consider when deciding a roster, even if it isn’t the sole reason a character might get chosen. The goal is to sell as many copies and to make as many people as happy as possible so I think fan demand will always be worth looking at. At the same time, it’s also important to surprise people with characters people might not be expecting so you don’t want to go entirely off fan demand either in my opinion.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'm positive they won't ignore fan demand even when Sakurai is no longer the director. Especially if they still plan on using the Smash Ballot in some capacity.

My main worry is that they'll ignore doing "out-there" or lesser known characters in favor of just doing recent, popular or easy characters. Because I don't think characters like Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt would have happened without Sakurai having a very good idea on how to make them work. Like seriously, I don't know how anybody else before 2013 could look at the Wii Fit Trainer and go, "That character with next to no identity from a Exercise game would easily fit in a fighting game."
That's probably the issue Sakurai has been having with finding a successor is finding someone who has a very good knowledge of fighting games and fighting game mechanics, a vast knowledge of games in general, how to make characters work and keeping them true, an importance of choosing characters that would be fun to play as compared to choosing characters because they are easy or recognisable, etc.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
I still play Ultimate quite a lot casually against the AI. The main thing that keeps my interest lately is modding. There are tons of new mods releasing all of the time and I want to learn how to start importing models myself so I can add whoever I want into the game. I’ve spent the last few weeks going through all of my music and selecting over 2,000 songs I’m going to loop and add to the game.
Cool. Speaking of mods, have you seen this yet?

Almost every day. Still favor quickplay teams but I've noticed the activity has fallen off the last few months pretty much around end of February.
You would think the ULTIMATE SMASH game would be played for much longer than that and not dropped like a rock. Yet Brawl and Melee and even 64 are still played to this day.

Massively. Sakurai's position, especially how big it has gotten over years with negotiations and contracts, isn't exactly a position you can hire any newbie for and required lots of experience, endurance and patience. The reason why Sakurai has stuck so long so I don't he will be replaced yet. To the point they would rather port an older title with updates than find a new one like Iwata planned if Sakurai didn't come for Brawl. It's that high level.
At the very best he have an protégé to help and eventually overtime.

On the unlikely chance it didn't happen then you basically say goodbye to fan demanded characters as evident FP1 and 2 exclude characters like Banjo and Sora who were from the ballot. Character picks will become are alot more corporate than it now. Better hope your favs aren't niche in any way and from big hitter, big seller franchise or a recent phenomenon cuz if they aren't any of the above, your toast.

Expect much less Soras, Terrys and Banjos and much more Heros, Blyeths, Min Mins and Pyras. Basically the more generic, less interesting picks.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

You would think the ULTIMATE SMASH game would be played for much longer than that and not dropped like a rock. Yet Brawl and Melee and even 64 are still played to this day.

Massively. Sakurai's position, especially how big it has gotten over years with negotiations and contracts, isn't exactly a position you can hire any newbie for and required lots of experience, endurance and patience. The reason why Sakurai has stuck so long so I don't he will be replaced yet. To the point they would rather port an older title with updates than find a new one like Iwata planned if Sakurai didn't come for Brawl. It's that high level.

On the unlikely chance it didn't happen then you basically say goodbye to fan demanded characters as evident FP1 and 2 exclude characters like Banjo and Sora who were from the ballot. Character picks will become are alot more corporate than it now. Better hope your favs aren't niche in any way and from big hitter, big seller franchise or a recent phenomenon cuz if they aren't any of the above, your toast.

Expect much less Soras, Terrys and Banjos and much more Heros, Blyeths, Min Mins and Pyras. Basically the more generic, less interesting picks.
I haven’t seen the mod pack itself but I have most of those mods individually. I’ve been having a blast playing with so many different mods in Ultimate and it’s cool that there’s always something new to look forward to. I used to be really into making my own mods back in Brawl and managed to make it into being one of the top 5 most downloaded modders on Kittykorp/Brawlvault (under the name Aafyre), which was the most fun I’ve ever had doing anything video game related. I’ve been out of the loop for 10 years so I completely forgot how to do everything so I have to learn from scratch lol.

I don’t get to brag much because I’m not that good at most things but I was really proud of that. I did have the number one most downloaded stage in Stage Builder in Ultimate a few times with my Chemical Plant Zone stage, which was really cool as well. I’m probably easily the worst competitive Smash player on these boards though.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace

Do you mean that the decision on which newcomer characters will come in future games of the Super Smash Bros. series should Nintendo decide for itself and not accept it from the fans?

Last edited:
Top Bottom