• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but if it has too much than Nintendo Characters, then I'm scared that it will open floodgates to other Obscure characters and they will ruin Smash Bros franchise like Bubsy.
This is more confusing than Nabbitfan thinking the fanbase must shrink, but at the same time they gotta do something like Smash vs. Shonen Jump or a movie instead of a game.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Even tho, I'm gonna change my mind that Kazuya and other are not gonna be removed from the Game, but some of them could come as DLC Characters, since the Reboot's roster will become smaller than Smash 4.

You know what I'm gonna say about it.
Nintendo Allstars is Still Nintendo when it has 3rd Parties, but if it has too much than Nintendo Characters, then I'm scared that it will open floodgates to other Obscure characters and they will ruin Smash Bros franchise like Bubsy.
That won't open floodgates.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You know what I'm gonna say about it.
Nintendo Allstars is Still Nintendo when it has 3rd Parties, but if it has too much than Nintendo Characters, then I'm scared that it will open floodgates to other Obscure characters and they will ruin Smash Bros franchise like Bubsy.
There have been nearly twenty third party characters in Smash, and I don't think that anyone would say that the characters that we've got so far have lowered the bar to the level where someone like Bubsy would be expected.

(I don't know how many people have actually played Bubsy, but I played the first one on the SNES - it was a terrible Sonic the Hedgehog knock-off designed by someone who seemingly wanted to cash in on the craze without understanding why people enjoyed those games to begin with, leading to a game where the level design encourages you to go fast but you die in one hit or if you fall from a large enough height)

The third party characters that we've got have had some combination of a ton of history/influence (ex. :ultsimon::ulthero3::ultpacman:), long-lasting popularity or demand when it comes to Smash (ex. :ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultbanjokazooie:), or are generally seen as one of the best examples of their genre. (ex. :ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultcloud:) Even if there are cases where people might not have wanted a certain character in the game, I feel like most people would be able to understand why the third party characters that are currently in the game have been included.

(though some characters/games fit in multiple categories - Sonic's definitely got the history/influence, for example, and some of his games are the best in their genre)

Third party characters have been a part of Smash for a decade and a half now, and I can't think of a single interview, comment, or hint that they considered including any sort of flavour of the month meme pick that people prop up ironically because of how terrible it is. I can't imagine that we're going to get diminishing returns to such levels that Bubsy seems likely, let alone reaching the point where the developers feel the need to jettison most/all third party characters because of it.

I apologize for the rant; I've just been dealing with this sort of "third parties need to be cut" or "we need to limit third party characters to cartoony platformer mascots" since the Smash 4 days at least, which got really frustrating as someone who liked playing as Snake in Brawl. (nothing against cartoony platformer mascots, of course, but I don't see why third party content should be artificially limited like that)

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Unless we gonna keep Megaman, Simon, Pac-Man, Banjo-Kazooie and possibly Sonic (If SEGA returns to console Business) as Third Parties, so no problem.
But Ryu, Snake, Kazuya, Terry and Steve are gonna get removed because of their license getting expired and we won' gonna see them anymore in future Reboot.
This seems like a very poorly disguised scrimblo post.

Ryu especially isn't going anywhere. Capcom is eager to put him in crossovers, and he fills too many important gameplay and demographic niches.

I don't think you understand why a lot of these characters were chosen.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
This seems like a very poorly disguised scrimblo post.

Ryu especially isn't going anywhere. Capcom is eager to put him in crossovers, and he fills too many important gameplay and demographic niches.

I don't think you understand why a lot of these characters were chosen.
It's weird to see Simon be considered a Scrimblo Bimblo. Sure, he debuted in a platformer, much like various cartoony animals, but...

do I even need to say it?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Well, that poses the question. How do we know Kazuya is gonna leave? If Pac Man is in the game, Bamco is still involved in Smash. Harada specifically requested Tekken would be put in Smash, so is there anything big stopping them from reintroducing it?

Same with Snake, Ryu, and Steve. Konami, Capcom, and Microsoft are still involved, why cut them? Its just losing peoples interests.

Sure, you are a supporter for Nintendo All Stars, and I’m fine with it, but so many other people are gonna say “Well, if the game doesn’t have the characters I like, I’ll just go back to Ultimate” And then we’ll have another split in the community like with Melee, and Nintendo will lose customers and money.

Personally, I think Nintendo should try to get as many 3rd Parties back as possible for base, get the rest back for DLC, and keep building with more content from there.
It could be a case of not having enough time to add everything back. If we bring back Pac-Man back and add a Tales rep, Kazuya might just slip through the cracks. If we add Alucard, Simon might need to take a backseat. It's not even a permanent goodbye, they could very easily be DLC or in a future game.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
It could be a case of not having enough time to add everything back. If we bring back Pac-Man back and add a Tales rep, Kazuya might just slip through the cracks. If we add Alucard, Simon might need to take a backseat. It's not even a permanent goodbye, they could very easily be DLC or in a future game.
Thats a good point, a number of characters have had to be cut or held off due to timing issues. A lot depends on how well Ultimates code and models can be used when this new game is made.
Microsoft seems fairly likely to stay on board for Smash for a while, and there's a pretty good chance that Master Chief be their 3rd rep after Banjo and Steve.
Yeah, Chief or Doomguy seem to have the best shot for Microsofts next slot. Maybe Dragonborn if it isn’t them.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Pretty much anyone can get cut for any reason. Just look at clones-with their reused animations, you'd think they would never get cut since they don't have to make that many more, but even with 4 not focusing as hard on making clones more distinct as Brawl did, half of Melee's clones still had to wait, whether it was for DLC or for Ultimate.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The problem with theming the next Smash game around Nintendo All-Stars is... honestly, Ultimate already has a lot of Nintendo's All-Stars.

Most of the Nintendo series in Smash already have their core casts beyond a character or two (with Zelda as the possible exception, depending on how liberal you want to be in defining "core cast"). Likewise, beyond new series that debuted after Ultimate's release and a handful of fan favourites like Golden Sun and Advance Wars, most of Nintendo's particularly notable series already have a character in Smash.

Should Nintendo icons that haven't been added to Smash yet be added to Smash? Absolutely. I spent basically the entire DLC period fighting uphill against the notion that we have reached the bottom of the Nintendo barrel and only third parties deserve to be added at this point. However, there's no reason to take the opposite approach and claim that third parties are glorified marketing gimmicks that should be removed and forgotten about.

I don't know why so many in the community see the first v. third party debate as a zero-sum game where only one category contains characters of any value. Smash is so great because it treats all of its characters and licensed properties as inherently valuable and gives them the celebration and fanfare they deserve, regardless of whether the license in question for an obscure NES release or a blockbuster franchise with 30+ years of history and tens of millions of copies sold.

To start discriminating against who should and should not be in Smash on the basis of corporate ownership seems a little silly.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
If some anonymous person said that they wishes that Smash 6 is going to be SSB vs. WSJ, i want to say that One Punch Man and Tokyo Ghoul is at Young Jump (a seinen magazine); and that Fairy Tail, Inuyasha, and Sailor Moon are in other companies.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
There have been nearly twenty third party characters in Smash, and I don't think that anyone would say that the characters that we've got so far have lowered the bar to the level where someone like Bubsy would be expected.

(I don't know how many people have played Bubsy, but I played it on the SNES - it was a terrible Sonic the Hedgehog knock-off designed by someone who seemingly wanted to cash in on the craze without understanding why people enjoyed those games to begin with, leading to a game where the level design encourages you to go fast but you die in one hit or if you fall from a large enough height)

The third party characters that we've got have had some combination of a ton of history/influence (ex. :ultsimon::ulthero3::ultpacman:), long-lasting popularity or demand when it comes to Smash (ex. :ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultbanjokazooie:), or are generally seen as one of the best examples of their genre. (ex. :ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultcloud:) Even if there are cases where people might not have wanted a certain character in the game, I feel like most people would be able to understand why the third party characters that are currently in the game have been included.

Third party characters have been a part of Smash for a decade and a half now, and I can't think of a single interview, comment, or hint that they considered including any sort of flavour of the month meme pick that people prop up ironically because of how terrible it is. I can't imagine that we're going to get diminishing returns to such levels that Bubsy seems likely, let alone reaching the point where the developers feel the need to jettison most/all third party characters because of it.

I apologize for the rant; I've just been dealing with this sort of "third parties need to be cut" or "we need to limit third party characters to cartoony platformer mascots" since the Smash 4 days at least, which got really frustrating as someone who liked playing as Snake in Brawl.
I get what you're saying, but just because there's understanding and logic here, doesn't mean it must all be unanimously accepted. You're right that, for the most part, the third parties they've added fit the quota Smash goes by. But I find the problem lies in how many outside IPs they've added in such a small window of time, in comparison to the additions from anything that's already been in Smash before. I'll admit it's not strictly a problem that has to be pinned on third-parties, even if that's what a lot of the new series introduced are. But the rate Smash is currently growing at doesn't factor any of the preexisting flaws in the smaller aspects of the crossover, which haven't really been altered all that well.

...you know what, I have to say it: I'm appalled at the allergies to toning the franchise's expansion down that I'm seeing. I stand by my statement that the fanbase shouldn't shrink, but at the same time, I don't like the idea of Smash growing at the rate it did for the last two games, let alone much higher. Reducing this factor so that it doesn't expand at that speed would be better for what the series should become, and no, that's not going to NECESSARILY decrease or stagnate the quality of the series present, or any that end up added in the future. In fact, it might be a good excuse for them to explore other elements of franchises present, regardless of what company owns the IPs. None of this has to be a statement against certain types of franchises. But whatever the next Smash is, I don't think having most of its velocity carried over a second time will carry my interest in what Smash is becoming.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I get what you're saying, but just because there's understanding and logic here, doesn't mean it must all be unanimously accepted. You're right that, for the most part, the third parties they've added fit the quota Smash goes by. But I find the problem lies in how many outside IPs they've added in such a small window of time, in comparison to the additions from anything that's already been in Smash before. I'll admit it's not strictly a problem that has to be pinned on third-parties, even if that's what a lot of the new series introduced are. But the rate Smash is currently growing at doesn't factor any of the preexisting flaws in the smaller aspects of the crossover, which haven't really been altered all that well.

...you know what, I have to say it: I'm appalled at the allergies to toning the franchise's expansion down that I'm seeing. I stand by my statement that the fanbase shouldn't shrink, but at the same time, I don't like the idea of Smash growing at the rate it did for the last two games, let alone much higher. Reducing this factor so that it doesn't expand at that speed would be better for what the series should become, and no, that's not going to NECESSARILY decrease or stagnate the quality of the series present, or any that end up added in the future. In fact, it might be a good excuse for them to explore other elements of franchises present, regardless of what company owns the IPs. None of this has to be a statement against certain types of franchises. But whatever the next Smash is, I don't think having most of its velocity carried over a second time will carry my interest in what Smash is becoming.
To be fair to FP2, it did do a lot of polishing representation for franchises that are already in. It's why FFVII is no longer associated with "lol2songs", it saved XC2 from potentially being screwed by a newer Xenoblade, and the ARMS teaser meant we had to consider characters that were already represented in some form.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Have and enjoy fun with the cut roster of 30-40 characters. ;)

Agreed. This is the direction they should go with at this point that way there will be less complaints of cuts since it'd be a different step from Smash.
Again I don't want cuts but its going to happen. A new idea should at least heal the wounds.

Exactly. Imagine the matchups:

Cloud vs Ichigo
Goku vs Sonic
Min Min vs Luffy
Jotaro vs Joker
Ryu vs Yusuke
C. Falcon vs All Might etc

Plus it would shut up all those anime Goku requests once for all too.

Yeah and Nintendo Allstars should happen again.
That would also be cool to see. Return to Form to Nintendo's roots. A fighting game where we celebrate Nintendo's history, a better time for speculation and actually supporting your favourite character without becoming a cesspit

Said this before, but saying nintendo all stars as if smash isn't already still that just seems to be way too much of a hyper fixation on the word phrase Nintendo all stars itself, rather than actually knowing what you're talking about when you're saying it...

Yeah, a reboot would just be complete overhauls for like 64 and Melee vets and maybe some from Brawl... Smash bros vs shonen jump is just as ridiculous as any other troll proposal of stuff like making smash 6 a movie or a 3d smash etc lol. I don't get the point in these ridiculous proposals if they didn't happen from smash 4 to ultimate lol, even within the context of trolling lmao. We're not getting a full on reboot anyway, but I don't get what the point is of these troll idea of wanting smash to become less popular anyway lmao, outside of ridiculously low fruit trolling
Dude, do you anything of value to actually contribute to discussion instead of call anything you don't like a troll. Sounds like a form of projection to me.]

Also Smash 4 didn't back itself to corner to the point where Sakurai said he need significant cuts.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Dude, do you anything of value to actually contribute to discussion instead of call anything you don't like a troll. Sounds like a form of projection to me
It happens when it's hard to tell whether or not you truly want the fanbase to shrink. Smash vs. Shonen Jump has the potential to...not do so, as you'll have to deal with fans of various anime/manga franchises when talking about your character now, not just fans of other video games.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
It happens when it's hard to tell whether or not you truly want the fanbase to shrink. Smash vs. Shonen Jump has the potential to...not do so, as you'll have to deal with fans of various anime/manga franchises when talking about your character now, not just fans of other video games.
Obviously I would prefer the Nintendo reboot but Smash x Shonen Jump would honestly amazing a both a Video game and Shonen Fan but yeah you're right. The extra fans would make Smash even more a ****show than it already. Ultimate but on 1000x steroids. A Living Nightmare.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I’m not the biggest fan of a Smash VS Anime kinda game. Personally, I think that’ll widen the scope a bit too much and alienate a lot of fans. It’ll also probably start a lot of requests for a general “Smash VS Movies” game which will be a whole other hypothetical on top of the current one.

Anyhow, I wouldn’t say it’s a particularly likely event given how much Ultimate limited KH to Video game only content. Though I’m not entirely sure if the concept is being brought up more as a legitimate idea or just a cool concept.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People seriously need to try games out of your comfort zone. Some of the comments here scream sheltered Nintendo fanboy. And this is coming from a lifelong Nintendo fanboy.

It's one thing to expect franchise or character cut.

It's another to actively campaign for cuts. And its usually for very shallow reasons.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
People seriously need to try games out of your comfort zone. Some of the comments here scream sheltered Nintendo fanboy. And this is coming from a lifelong Nintendo fanboy.
Ironically I think it's preferring to keep things "pure" when it comes to PC game mods that makes me desire more first-party newcomers over third-party ones overall. What I mean by that is stuff like not replacing player models with stuff like Spongebob or Naruto, not replacing the fake cars in GTA with real ones, etc.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ironically I think it's preferring to keep things "pure" when it comes to PC game mods that makes me desire more first-party newcomers over third-party ones overall. What I mean by that is stuff like not replacing player models with stuff like Spongebob or Naruto, not replacing the fake cars in GTA with real ones, etc.
I mean, I also don't like mods like that.

There is a world of difference between wanting more third parties and "Let's put Lightning McQueen in Smash."

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I mean, I also don't like mods like that.

There is a world of difference between wanting more third parties and "Let's put Lightning McQueen in Smash."
Might not have been the best comparison, but I dislike the notion that the reason one might prefer first-parties overall is because they've played little to no games Nintendo didn't make. If someone didn't want Batman in Marvel vs. Capcom, that wouldn't mean they've never read any Batman comics, watched any Batman movies or TV series, etc.

MattX20

Smash Hero

It's another to actively campaign for cuts. And its usually for very shallow reasons.
I've stopped believing Smash was purely a Nintendo crossover once Snake entered the picture back in E3 of 2006. I can't imagine most, if any of the third parties that are involved with Smash currently and those who didn't get the shot this time around would pass up the opportunity to the next installment after the highest selling fighting game of all time.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Smash has become very reliant on 3rd Parties as of late for the hype they come with. It’d be a big marketing blunder to ditch the thing that gets eyes on the game.
I think this view is a little colored by the recent developments of DLC. Base game could be entirely different and should be expected to have comparatively less focus on third parties.
It's fair to expect that some cut characters could return as DLC, but remember that each cut character that has to be DLC prevents them from doing something new as DLC. So I don't think they'd use the DLC to get all the vets back 100%.

given how many 3rd Parties play a massive role in Nintendos legacy I don’t see how getting rid of them is gonna make Smash any better.
I mean, I'm fine with third parties that played an explicitly major role in Nintendo's legacy/history. But I think the third party roster has gone way beyond that being any sort of qualifying condition; thus, things should be reined in significantly. It keeps everything fair and focused on the Nintendo characters who are the real stars of the show. Third parties at the end of the day are just guests at the table.

people are gonna say “Well, if the game doesn’t have the characters I like, I’ll just go back to Ultimate” And then we’ll have another split in the community like with Melee, and Nintendo will lose customers and money.
It would take a lot for backlash to cuts to have a noticeable effect on sales. Even the split with Melee was centered almost exclusively on the competitive scene. The general public would largely understand if a third party character is cut since there's so many possible and reasonable justifications for it, like licensing costs, negotiation issues with various companies, the desire to add new content instead, ... .

f there were any first parties they thought were absolute must haves, they would have gotten in place of some of the third parties lol
Again, I think this is colored by the recent developments in DLC. The rate of third party inclusions in DLC is probably unsustainable for a base game. And while some vets could come back as DLC, they're definitely not going to waste all their paid content bullets on recycled old stuff.

third parties are glorified marketing gimmicks
I mean, most of them are.
But yeah, definitely some third parties can have merits, based on various arguments that differ from character to character.
A character like Banjo who was pretty firmly Nintendo at one point was a stark contrast to a lot of the other characters that got added due to DLC. And guess what? A smaller character like that can actually be just as or even more exciting than the big-name ones if they're intensely tied to Nintendo and have a lot of Nintendo fans that want them. There just aren't that many third parties who reach that level IMO while still fitting into a Nintendo-focused cast.

It's another to actively campaign for cuts
It's not any different than rooting for/against any other character for any other subjective or objective reasoning. Just because they've been in the game before doesn't change anything. Like, just because Sakurai or Nintendo determined at one point that a character is viable to roster over any number of alternatives doesn't mean everyone who didn't support that character should instantly change their mind about them, especially in the scenario of a new game where we could get more of said alternatives if they don't bring everyone back. A new game starts with the roster at zero; everyone ought to get a fair shot at consideration rather than being squeezed out due to decisions from like 10-20+ years ago that were made under special circumstances which may not be relevant anymore.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
A character like Banjo who was pretty firmly Nintendo at one point was a stark contrast to a lot of the other characters that got added due to DLC. And guess what?
I think a lot of fans of the third-party focus on DLC like to forget that Banjo and Geno are third-party characters who...became big in the Smash community because of their own Nintendo focus. They just focus on how they're owned by Microsoft and Square-Enix, and not how Banjo/Geno fans wish that was never the case.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Dude, do you anything of value to actually contribute to discussion instead of call anything you don't like a troll. Sounds like a form of projection to me.]

Also Smash 4 didn't back itself to corner to the point where Sakurai said he need significant cuts.
Eh, not really... Just think this idea is coming from the exact same place that the idea of a movie being a way to follow up a multi-player fighting game series would... and stuff like 3d smash... If you're proposing shonen jump characters in smash, then yeah, I guess Goku's a request enough, although not saying it's happening... Suggesting gimmicks like a movie etc is just what I don't get... If you said you don't view smash as just a cross over, then what do you play it for if you think stuff like movies are fine, even if they do also shrink the fanbase, regardless of however ridiculous that last part maybe... Most people I know who don't like people viewing smash as only a museum prefer to view what they add to the game specifically, but I don't think that's the case here... And this was never even proposed to a minor extent during smash 4, or even brawl where you'd expect people to think smash could have changed gameplay considering it was still way younger then in comparison to now... It's like proposing metroid be changed to a racing series or something lol, except way less sense since the gameplay of smash is literally referenced in the name... No matter what ultimate has done, another business as usual game would still be fine... Unless you want the fanbase to shrink... which I also question lol. Not much makes sense TBH so it's clear to see why it seems like trolling...

Even if Ultimate has backed itself into a corner, nothing really says they can't keep most of the roster... And they will definitely at least try to... But even if another business as usual smash title is like infinitely more likely, still doesn't make this any less puzzling... TBH they could probably just go way more high key on newcomers actually now that I think about it if a lot of the vets do go...

Ultimate is still flawed in several aspects, mainly just other modes which other smash games usually made sure to address and the idea of a game that doesn't have to outmatch the other in regards to roster etc will likely be better in the long run since Sakurai would be able to have a way more lax mindset, and focus on the flaws of Ultimate... A lesser Ultimate could honestly be a good thing for the series... And by lesser, I mean slightly lesser, in regards to roster count specifically, and even then, it certainly won't be by a huge amount... I wouldn't actively campaign for them or anything, but if they do happen, they could help in just single player outside of just the fighting And then DLC could easily pick up the slack for newcomer count... Just have base game be more setting the ground work for stuff that'd be tougher to add later...

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I mean, I'm fine with third parties that played an explicitly major role in Nintendo's legacy/history. But I think the third party roster has gone way beyond that being any sort of qualifying condition; thus, things should be reined in significantly. It keeps everything fair and focused on the Nintendo characters who are the real stars of the show. Third parties at the end of the day are just guests at the table.
This argument's been around since Brawl, and it seems unnecessarily gate-keepy to me. How does anyone decide what makes it so a third party character plays an "explicitly major role in Nintendo's legacy/history"? And how do you get people to agree on defining something like that?

It seems extremely subjective (it seems like the only unquestionable one would be Mega Man - cases could be made even against the likes of Sonic or Banjo/Kazooie), and can come across as people not wanting to leave their comfort zone in my experience. (Ex. Someone's never played a King of Fighters game, and rather than giving the series a shot with one of the numerous Switch releases, they say that Terry isn't important enough to Nintendo and should be cut, even though KOF inspired the creation of Smash, Terry's been on the SNES/Gamecube/Wii/Switch among other Nintendo platforms, and SNK is clearly very willing to have content in the game)

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I think this view is a little colored by the recent developments of DLC. Base game could be entirely different and should be expected to have comparatively less focus on third parties.
It's fair to expect that some cut characters could return as DLC, but remember that each cut character that has to be DLC prevents them from doing something new as DLC. So I don't think they'd use the DLC to get all the vets back 100%.
A very fair point, I suppose the plausibility of the idea depends entirely on how much returns for a base, trying to bring back every single cut character is unfeasible barring something insane like 5 DLC cycles or the majority of 3rd Parties being in base.
This got me curious, so I tallied what third parties have in terms of a relationship with Nintendo.

Honorary Nintendo Character:
:ultsimon::ultmegaman::ultbanjokazooie::ulthero3::ulthero4::ultbayonetta:
Multiplat that Includes Nintendo:
:ultryu::ultken::ultsteve::ultrichter::ulthero2::ulthero:
Known for Playstation but Often on Nintendo:
:ultsora::ultsnake:
Primarily Playstation:
:ultjoker::ultkazuya:
Known For Not Being on Nintendo:
:ultsonic::ultcloud::ultsephiroth::ult_terry:
It is worth noting, all of these characters have some games on Nintendo Systems. I love everyone, if you disagree, fair. Personally, I am very comfortable with Smash being a celebration of gaming as a whole instead of just Nintendo.
It would take a lot for backlash to cuts to have a noticeable effect on sales. Even the split with Melee was centered almost exclusively on the competitive scene. The general public would largely understand if a third party character is cut since there's so many possible and reasonable justifications for it, like licensing costs, negotiation issues with various companies, the desire to add new content instead, ... .
It is true that Nintendo would likely lose only a negligible amount of money, but given Nintendos complicated history with Melee, I don’t think they want to risk a similar situation. Ultimate has infamously great balance, and people are already experimenting with replacing the garbage online with a form of roleback, a resurgence of the competitive community if Smash 6 is lacks a lot of characters is certainly possible imo.

It is true that Nintendo probably doesn’t want to add everyone back, but they did dedicate like half of 4s DLC to returning vets, so I assume they’ll bring back a lot of characters in the event of cuts.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think if next Smash game was just first party then speculation would be mostly the same. Just instead of being told that Reimu has no shot and that Crash is a way better pick it'll be that Starfy has no shot and Isaac is a way better pick.
Honestly I really don't understand how someone can see the Smash fanbase in its current state as more open-minded in the first place. The fanbase may now occasionally talk about third-parties that are nowhere near Sonic or Pac-Man, but that's a HUGE emphasis on "occasionally" considering how much speculation devolved into "It's going to be Crash for sure this time!"

Apparently when everyone's on the table, no one is.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I just wanted to ask, do people here like Smash's gameplay, or do they just prefer the crossover aspect? Would they prefer it if it was a different genre entirely? Small tweaks to current formula, like the concept but would completely change the genre, are only in love with the concept but can't be bothered to think of any better genre, think it's absurd that people suggest anything different than what we have now, etc? Even stuff like roster theming? Like first parties or third parties.. Not trying to start a flame war but I'm legitimately curious on people's views on smash's current concept... Just in general, what are your views on this?

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but he would end up as Cameo Collectible Trophy along with others like Pacman or Megaman.
Next Game has only Nintendo Characters playable, unless 3rd Parties will appear as Mii Costumes, but they would have same function like Mii's Gear in Mario Kart 8/8 Deluxe.
Um, what? Seriously, what would even be the point of this? You're suggesting that 3rd party playables should be cut, but they could still appear as Mii costumes or something? They'd still be licensing those characters, in that case. The 3rd party characters are almost unanimously seen as the ones most likely to be cut, even by those of us who want Everyone Is Here to return, but the entire reason as to why that's the case is because of all the supposed complications in licensing. But if they're licensed anyway, that removes the single biggest hurdle for them.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
But if they're licensed anyway, that removes the single biggest hurdle for them.
They don't magically gain the license to use them in every Smash game for the rest of time or an Ultimate port. Need I mention Nocturne HD requiring you to pay extra for Dante again? What about how GTA's mobile ports lost a good chunk of songs and the Definitive Edition never fixed that?

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Um, what? Seriously, what would even be the point of this? You're suggesting that 3rd party playables should be cut, but they could still appear as Mii costumes or something? They'd still be licensing those characters, in that case. The 3rd party characters are almost unanimously seen as the ones most likely to be cut, even by those of us who want Everyone Is Here to return, but the entire reason as to why that's the case is because of all the supposed complications in licensing. But if they're licensed anyway, that removes the single biggest hurdle for them.
I'm pretty sure it's just some arbitrary Nintendo all-stars thing... As said, it's not realistic, but they definitely are more fixated on the phrase rather than knowing what it really entails...

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
I just wanted to ask, do people here like Smash's gameplay, or do they just prefer the crossover aspect? Would they prefer it if it was a different genre entirely? Small tweaks to current formula, like the concept but would completely change the genre, are only in love with the concept but can't be bothered to think of any better genre, think it's absurd that people suggest anything different than what we have now, etc? Even stuff like roster theming? Like first parties or third parties.. Not trying to start a flame war but I'm legitimately curious on people's views on smash's current concept... Just in general, what are your views on this?
I don't dislike the core gameplay. However, I do lament Ultimate's lack of variety, which seems especially glaring when you consider that every prior Smash (including Smash for WiiU and even the original N64 game) did a much better job of letting you play the game differently. Though, I've especially fell in love with platforming in Smash, as it seems like such a great fit for a series that began as a platforming-fighter hybrid in the first place, and it's extremely disheartening to see it increasingly de-emphasized post-Brawl.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That's because Tankman is making a bad faith argument.

It isn't about legality or even logic. It's about characters they like being in and the ones they don't like being excluded.

It's why they said things like Mega Man is supposedly okay, but Ryu is bound to be legally problematic.

Its... lowkey dumb.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
They don't magically gain the license to use them in every Smash game for the rest of time or an Ultimate port. Need I mention Nocturne HD requiring you to pay extra for Dante again? What about how GTA's mobile ports lost a good chunk of songs and the Definitive Edition never fixed that?
I wasn't talking about long-term licensing. I was talking about the inane suggestion to cut 3rd party as playable characters but keeping them for Mii costumes or something else. In such a scenario, they'd still be licensing them.

Top Bottom