• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Only because you're licensing all kinds of different Jump franchises in one game. Just look at DBFZ, or hell ANY Dragon Ball game for that matter, none of them have been taken off from store shelves. Licensing is a huge ***** don't get me wrong, but if it's just one jump franchise I don't think it's going to be that bad.
Unless it’s JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure lmao……..

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Too little too late to save Jump Force I say

I actually forgot that game existed for a hot second
That’s a shame because I was mildly interested in checking it out. I’ve been a big anime fan for around 20 years but the lack of an English dub along with its mixed reception kept me from giving it a chance. It’s unfortunate that licensing basically means a game like this will probably never be dubbed. I don’t think that’s much an issue for most people since I’m one of the few people that almost exclusively watches dubs over subs.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Considering J-Stars, the other Jump crossover fighter, is seemingly staying available, I don't think Goku's the issue here.

My guess is this either involves complications with either Yu-Gi-Oh and Konami or Dragon Quest: Dai's Adventure and Square Enix, seeing how neither of those two was involved in J-Stars.
I have a feeling it’s the latter, seeing as how the latter started as a video game and is in Smash

was Yugi in any other Jump crossover game? I feel like he was

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Considering J-Stars, the other Jump crossover fighter, is seemingly staying available, I don't think Goku's the issue here.

My guess is this either involves complications with either Yu-Gi-Oh and Konami or Dragon Quest: Dai's Adventure and Square Enix, seeing how neither of those two was involved in J-Stars.
I guess that kills any hope I might have had for a general anime crossover game not just limited to Jump. I’d have loved to see Edward Elric, Natsu Dragneil, Soul and Maka, Lelouch, and tons of others in the same game but that would probably be way more effort than it’s worth with trying to license so many outside characters.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Is there a reason to not find him memorable and fun to use?
He is a possessed doll that’s capable of using magic and shoot bullets and a whole fist and huge beam and cause beam to rain and transform into a canon and shoot his star spirit out of the body and can deal 9999 damage with timed hit functionality and the fastest of the party member plus the design is very cool and it’s easy to see how people do find him very memorable and people wants to see more of him and the truth is smash is the only game which would be possible for him to ever appear again
So the real question is where do you want the SMRPG fans to go after that game spawned a big fanbase? Both Nintendo and Square-enix are not doing anything with SMRPG for the past 25 years our only hope is Smash where they can listen to the fans just like they did to Banjo and K. Rool fans
I mean i get why hes liked its just a little bit too extreme for me to understand it!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yugi was in both DS games and is also in some of the mobile games
So yeah, Yugi’s not to blame for JF getting pulled. Gotta be DQ Adventure of Dai then. If I’m not mistaken that IS it’s first appearance in a Jump crossover. And I wager it’ll also be the last

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Question: Now that smash is more of a general Gaming crossover/Promotion! What would you think of lets say a dedicated Zelda or mario Smash game?
For me its the best spinoff idea!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Question: Now that smash is more of a general Gaming crossover/Promotion! What would you think of lets say a dedicated Zelda or mario Smash game?
I think it could be fun as a side game. As long as it doesn’t replace Smash itself, I’d welcome any games like this. It would give us a chance to see characters that would probably never make it into Smash like Goomba or a Lizalfos.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't particularly care about a smash game specifically about those games. Seems like a rather big waste of time.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I think it could be fun as a side game. As long as it doesn’t replace Smash itself, I’d welcome any games like this. It would give us a chance to see characters that would probably never make it into Smash like Goomba or a Lizalfos.
Or also some popular Chars like skull kiod or vaati that could than be ported over!

Ivander

Smash Legend
I think Hyrule Warriors does a good enough job as a dedicated Zelda crossover. And Mario already has plenty of game series like Mario Kart and whatnot. They don't really need dedicated Smash games.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
If it had different mechanics, it could be a fun experience. Besides, it's not like a spinoff like that would take the place of Smash or anything. More fighting game spinoffs made from established franchises can't really be a bad thing imo.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
If it had different mechanics, it could be a fun experience. Besides, it's not like a spinoff like that would take the place of Smash or anything. More fighting game spinoffs made from established franchises can't really be a bad thing imo.
It doesnt even really have to be an official smash game just something along the Lines of Kirby Fighters 2!

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
I think Hyrule Warriors does a good enough job as a dedicated Zelda crossover.
Agreed. Would've loved to see them continue with that concept of a fanservice-laden, series wide crossover (and I hope Age of Calamity isn't a sign of where Hyrule Warriors is headed, assuming the spin-offs continue at all).

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I guess that kills any hope I might have had for a general anime crossover game not just limited to Jump. I’d have loved to see Edward Elric, Natsu Dragneil, Soul and Maka, Lelouch, and tons of others in the same game but that would probably be way more effort than it’s worth with trying to license so many outside characters.
I think a Shonen Jump crossover Platform FIghter would be a hit. It'd be quite the undertaking though. Bamco does have the Smash experience and the rights to the well of material that is Shonen Jump. So if it's ever going to be done it'd be them. I think it'd be worth the effort but it has to absolutely be Smash Ultimate quality or else it flops and tanks the concept entirely. So I hope they don't do it unless they're ready to SPEND MONEY.

I think Dragon Ball would be a major issue but not in licensing, at least not anymore of an issue than any other licensing that is. It'd be with character representation. How do you portray Goku? Is he a transforming character? If so how does he do that and what does each transformation offer him? A slightly altered moveset for each iteration? If not do you do separate versions of him? What about Vegeta?

I'd ignore Super (love Super so no hate) and just keep to Z. Go for SSJ3 Goku as the character even though it's not his most "iconic" look. Then we could do SSJ2 Majin Vegeta. SSJ3 Gotenks and SSJ2 Kid Gohan would cover both transformations with a smaller body and both have unique moveset potential. Then you could have SSJ1 Future Trunks as a swordfighter to diversify the Saiyans further. Then for villains I'd go with Freeza, Super Perfect Cell (instant transmission), Kid Buu and Fat Buu (for body diversity again), Piccolo and 17/18 as a Pythra type character. Maybe throw in Kid Goku and Krillin as DLC but it'd getting ridiculous at that point. Dragon Ball warrants being the Mario equivalent series of such a concept but you obviously have to stop somewhere and show other series some love.

Like Yu Yu Hakusho just needs its 4 fighters to feel full. Maybe throw in Genkai (with a young alt) and Togoro but I'm already at like 15 characters with just two series haha.

Again it'd be quite the undertaking to do it properly and have it make the splash I think everybody knows it's capable of. I think you'd want to utilize every series you licensed for everything it was possibly worth to help with licensing. Make it with Esports in mind since you don't have to deal with Nintendo.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think a Shonen Jump crossover Platform FIghter would be a hit. It'd be quite the undertaking though. Bamco does have the Smash experience and the rights to the well of material that is Shonen Jump. So if it's ever going to be done it'd be them. I think it'd be worth the effort but it has to absolutely be Smash Ultimate quality or else it flops and tanks the concept entirely. So I hope they don't do it unless they're ready to SPEND MONEY.

I think Dragon Ball would be a major issue but not in licensing, at least not anymore of an issue than any other licensing that is. It'd be with character representation. How do you portray Goku? Is he a transforming character? If so how does he do that and what does each transformation offer him? A slightly altered moveset for each iteration? If not do you do separate versions of him? What about Vegeta?

I'd ignore Super (love Super so no hate) and just keep to Z. Go for SSJ3 Goku as the character even though it's not his most "iconic" look. Then we could do SSJ2 Majin Vegeta. SSJ3 Gotenks and SSJ2 Kid Gohan would cover both transformations with a smaller body and both have unique moveset potential. Then you could have SSJ1 Future Trunks as a swordfighter to diversify the Saiyans further. Then for villains I'd go with Freeza, Super Perfect Cell (instant transmission), Kid Buu and Fat Buu (for body diversity again), Piccolo and 17/18 as a Pythra type character. Maybe throw in Kid Goku and Krillin as DLC but it'd getting ridiculous at that point. Dragon Ball warrants being the Mario equivalent series of such a concept but you obviously have to stop somewhere and show other series some love.

Like Yu Yu Hakusho just needs its 4 fighters to feel full. Maybe throw in Genkai (with a young alt) and Togoro but I'm already at like 15 characters with just two series haha.

Again it'd be quite the undertaking to do it properly and have it make the splash I think everybody knows it's capable of. I think you'd want to utilize every series you licensed for everything it was possibly worth to help with licensing. Make it with Esports in mind since you don't have to deal with Nintendo.
I mean, that already exists on the DS.

I'd love to see them make a third installment on modern consoles. Unfortunately, they probably wouldn't stick with sprites, and the gameplay would have to be changed since it was made with the DS's touch screen in mind, but it would be neat to see what they could add given all that's happened since then. (JoJo has gotten a massive leap up in popularity, My Hero Academia hadn't started yet, Naruto had just started its time-skip when the previous game came out, and One Piece hadn't even reached its time-skip yet)

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
God!
Time to Bamco to hire Eighting and Ganbarion to remake both Battle Stadium D.O.N. and JUMP Ultimate Stars as one game with the art design of FighterZ.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I'd love to see them make a third installment on modern consoles. Unfortunately, they probably wouldn't stick with sprites, and the gameplay would have to be changed since it was made with the DS's touch screen in mind, but it would be neat to see what they could add given all that's happened since then. (JoJo has gotten a massive leap up in popularity, My Hero Academia hadn't started yet, Naruto had just started its time-skip when the previous game came out, and One Piece hadn't even reached its time-skip yet)
Maybe they can do a split-screen and in one side you have the action, while the other you have the manga panels? Switch has more buttons than NDS, so they can figured out how tu supply touch screen controls. (Example: use right stick to replace touch screen, or also ZL/ZR buttons). Switch screen is 6.2 inches, while each NDS is 3 inches, so it will adjust fine.

I would mantein the sprites, this was one of the reasons the developers could put quickly too many content.

I agree, Jump Super/Ultimate needs a good remake for Switch. Its one of the lost gems of Nintendo DS that never went out of japan.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Speaking of other fighting games, would you guys rather see Smash 6 turn into a fighting game such as Street Fighter, Fatal Fury, Mortal Kombat or the same gameplay we had for the past 5 games in the series?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Speaking of other fighting games, would you guys rather see Smash 6 turn into a fighting game such as Street Fighter, Fatal Fury, Mortal Kombat or the same gameplay we had for the past 5 games in the series?
Not really, but I do wish we get some mechanic changes. I've talked about dividing attacks into Light and Heavy buttons like NASB did, but there's other stuff too. Maybe more movement options and less landing lag.

Dunno, there's plenty of directions they could go mechanically. I like Ultimate and some stuff it has introduced, but I hope the next games aren't the exact same.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The thing I want the most for the next Smash that'll never happen is Marth somehow getting his Sigurd alt from Project M back.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I think people forget that smash not being a traditional fighter is the reason why it appeals to so many. Imagine if F-Zero turned into GTA lol with the only difference being that the GTA content was reskinned to just be F-Zero themed, in an alternate universe where GTA doesn't exist. Or if Pokemon was a racing series.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The exact opposite of what they should be doing.

What they should be doing is bringing the Smash brand to OTHER genres. Super Smash Karts, etc.

Same gameplay. Let other fighting games be other fighting games.

I think people forget that smash not being a traditional fighter is the reason why it appeals to so many.
And the fact that it's "toys knocking each other into pits" and not "fighters beating each other unconscious" is probably the reason why a lot of it's licenses are okay being in the game.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
The exact opposite of what they should be doing.

What they should be doing is bringing the Smash brand to OTHER genres. Super Smash Karts, etc.

Same gameplay. Let other fighting games be other fighting games.

And the fact that it's "toys knocking each other into pits" and not "fighters beating each other unconscious" is probably the reason why a lot of it's licenses are okay being in the game.
Well, that and how a platform fighter has way more potential in how you can express a characters kit. In games like SF, it's pretty obvious to tell which move does which. In Smash, half the stuff that characters can do would very much not work in something like SF like Steve's block placing or Hero's command menu cos attacking is way more important to those games. It is in smash of course but you're free with your movement way more in smash for example.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I still honestly dont get Geno i mean yeah super mario rpg is great but i just never got why Geno is That high! Nothing personal tho!
People find him cool.

You have and will be given other reasons. But that's really all it boils down to. If Geno wasn't in the game, it's not like all this popularity would've defaulted to Mallow.
So I can understand why people don't understand Geno fans, and there is a video on a channel I can't remember that explains it so well, but just imagine that your first RPG had Mario in it and a cute fluffy cloud boy that was a bit of a crybaby and you are on your way to save Princess Peach from someone who ISN'T Bowser and then suddenly this cool dude drops from the sky and stars telling this bad guy off and fights him one on one but needs help and then you fight with him at your side and he MORPHS HIS HAND INTO SOME SORT OF BARREL AND BLASTS A LASER BEAM!

Add that 1996 child experience with his design and how he's the Mario-verse equivalent of an angel possessing a doll to fix Heaven and you have a recipe for cool.

Now imagine trying to fight to get that character and franchise back when Nintendo has strayed so far from what it was. It's pretty much just that: some 1996 magic occurred and no one else understands that magic, but we will be damned if we stop fighting to bring it back.

dream1ng dream1ng I can't be sure, but I think Mallow would have more support than he does now, but not on the same level as Geno does. Geno really is the character that got most people who grew up with the game to be like 'Whoa...' so I'm fairly sure the push wouldn't be nearly as strong but would still likely be there.

So, I LOVE FIGHTING GAMES, but I have to say that Smash should stay Smash.

However, it's been my opinion for a while now that Nintendo should make their own true 2.5D fighting game with the Nintendo roster and have Sakurai as an advisor of some sort due to his KoF history. I've had the desire and opinion since Brawl, but it wasn't until Smash 4 where I learned more about Sakurai's past that I think he would be a valuable resource.

Funny how my inspiration for this was MUGEN which is basically what Smash has become except it's a platform fighter. I mean, you can't play as the Super Mario in MUGEN and not think at least once about how a Nintendo All-Stars wouldn't be dope as hell. Hell, the most iconic MUGEN Wario references Wario Land games more than Smash!

EDIT: This edit of Super Mario is a bit different from what I remember but it's mostly the same. Also, since I mentioned Wario, I decided to add a Mugen video of that Wario as well.

EDIT2: This edit is a bit different as well, but again mostly the same. Sorry if the music or format isn't preferable, I didn't make these! XD

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So... I think I'm going to start on a project soon. Its regarding past game's speculation cycles.

All I'll say right now is that if you were present for past speculation cycles, shoot me a PM. I'm gonna need people for this project.

For those who are just curious what it is, I'll try to have a bigger post explaining my idea tonight or tomorrow.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
So I can understand why people don't understand Geno fans, and there is a video on a channel I can't remember that explains it so well, but just imagine that your first RPG had Mario in it and a cute fluffy cloud boy that was a bit of a crybaby and you are on your way to save Princess Peach from someone who ISN'T Bowser and then suddenly this cool dude drops from the sky and stars telling this bad guy off and fights him one on one but needs help and then you fight with him at your side and he MORPHS HIS HAND INTO SOME SORT OF BARREL AND BLASTS A LASER BEAM!
Wasn't that PapaGenos' Why Geno Video?

dude hasn't been around for a while.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Another question: Should Smash 6 focus less on representation based on relevance, fan demand and franchise representation and focus more on real life representation such as race, sexuality, genders? for example characters being picked based on certain criteria like being female, gay, poc, non-binary?

Like what this dude says here about serious concerns
The main thing is that Smash is meant to be a celebration of gaming.

The lack of stuff like black or LGBT people is more or less an issue of the gaming industry as a whole, and the Smash devs would need to make some heavy digging to find multiple characters that add "representation" without most of them being either too obscure, not major enough of a character to accurately represent the source material as a whole or, in the case of someone like Elma, too much of a legal nightmare (Sony owns XCX tracks).

Also, the very idea that someone is added for what they are rather than what they do or which game they're from is pretty much the point where Smash stops being Smash. Instead of being a celebration of gaming, it'd be a celebration of SJWs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom