• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I mean, they have a pattern of releasing a new Gen every three years.

Gen X will already be next year and we've seen Greninja (or rather a Gen 6 slot) had a spot in design documents before Black/White 2 even came out, so it really could be either Gen X or 11.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Gen X will already be next year.
Thanks for the correction. I thought it was two years. I must have misread from before.

But yeah, unless Sakurai has access to what will come in Gen X, I doubt we will be seeing a Pokémon from that era in Smash.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Gen X will already be next year and we've seen Greninja (or rather a Gen 6 slot) had a spot in design documents before Black/White 2 even came out, so it really could be either Gen X or 11.
Unless they hold off on Gen 10 for an extra year to meet the 30th anniversary.

Yes I’m coping, couldn’t you tell :217:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Pokemon in Smash is weird to me because sometimes the representation almost feels divorced from the games despite that not being the case. Maybe it's just because again we missed the switch pokemon games' chance to get repped in smash, but in addition we have the sheer lack of human characters in the spirit board and even on the stages from the games. Pokemon is less afraid than ever to focus on the trainers themselves as protagonist and antagonist, but instead we have to focus on the marketable characters that are literally interchangable to the plot.

I mean, we do have the trainer (Though it's kind of a smash original version of the character rather than the Red from the canon), but it does feel like after brawl things from TPCi got a bit more sterile in terms of what could be done.

add that to how Pokemon is the most blatantly "we have to add the latest gen's psuedo-mascot over anything else" thing and it means that Pokemon just kinda feels.... underwhelming, I'd say? I dunno, maybe it's just a consequence of Gen 7 being ancient and not even getting a stage. And maybe it's me knowing that pretty much any chance of not getting a Gen X rep is out of the question (unless we do get the Scream Tail echo... I don't really care about that though tbh)
Gen 7 getting no stages is still so baffling to me to be honest. God I love retro stages, but I really wish Ultimate would have make room to at least a few more new stages. And yeah I agree that the way Smash deal with Pokémon is really weird. Even the stage selction is so weird now that I'm on that topic. Kanto is by far the most iconic region, and the location that they chose is Saffron city. I mean, I wouldn't say it's an awful choice by any mean, but when I think of most iconic Kanto location I think of Viridian forest, Lavender town, Mt. Moon, but to be fair Saffron city is fairly iconic in it's own way so I'm not going to complain too much. Then, both Johto and Hoenn got nothing, and both are full of amazing locations (Sprout tower, Slowpoke well, Goldenrod tower for Johto and Sky pillar or Meteor falls for Hoenn). At least after that I think the stage started getting better, Spear pillar is a pretty cool Sinnoh location (although again, definitely not my personal first choice but it's fine), and Unova Pokémon league and Prism tower are amazing for gen 5 and 6 (I do think Kalos Pokémon league is a bit stupid, but I'm not going to complain since Prism tower is here too). And I just never really liked personally the Pokémon stadium and Poké floats, I just don't like stage that are too generic.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah, but hear me out

They could have 30th anniversary DLC for Gen X for the year following its release :4pacman:
Counter cope argument:

For whatever reason, Pokemon waits about 2 years to jump to a new console. XY hit the 3DS in 2013, and Sword/Shield hit the Switch in 2019.

If the Switch 2 releases this year like everyone and their mother seems to be saying it will, Gen 10 releasing in 2026 wouldn’t be that weird at all.

Let me believe

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
For whatever reason, Pokemon waits about 2 years to jump to a new console. XY hit the 3DS in 2013, and Sword/Shield hit the Switch in 2019.
Sun and Moon released in 2016, which is pretty much my "every three years" argument from earlier.

They didn't specifically aim for things to be 2 years after a console's launch. It just happened to be that way by seemingly coincidence.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Gen 7 getting no stages is still so baffling to me to be honest. God I love retro stages, but I really wish Ultimate would have make room to at least a few more new stages.
This may be the most underwhelming aspect of the way Ultimate handled its legacy content to me. Because if they couldn't bring back every stage, I almost just wish they cut like 20 of the more expendable or redundant ones to make room for even just 3 or 4 more new ones in base. DLC mended this issue a lot where you could effectively ignore it now, but some of the base newcomers and the releases leading into Ultimate release got the short end of the stick.

Gen 7 not getting a stage is a particularly glaring omission, would have loved a Robobot stage (fat chance) and K. Rool coming with Gangplank Galleon would have been the icing on the cake. Yeah Pirate Ship already exists, but if we can have like ten grassy plains stages we can have two pirate ships. I get that the gap between wrapping up Smash 4 and finalizing plans for Ultimate was shorter than usual so it wasn't like they had a ton of games to catch up on but that was definitely one element that felt a bit lacking on release, to me at least.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Maybe we get a new mon in the next Smash as DLC and it can be from the gen that's already been out but that means the new smash is still 2026 ...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Gen 7 getting no stages is still so baffling to me to be honest
Eh, not really when you consider the new base game stages all had to be made with reused assets except for Dracula's Castle, and a 3DS game's assets would be too low-quality.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I wonder how it’d go if they decided to nuke the almost all of the veteran stages in order to have mostly brand new stages. It’d probably result in the stage list being drastically reduced, but it’d also feel fresher.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
On the topic of Nintendogs, Sakurai actually said that they weren't fit for battle. Now to be fair he did said the same thing about Villager and changed his mind, but yeah like others said it just feel wrong and I doubt he would changed his mind about them, especially with the franchises getting no games recently. I think the franchise having a stage is amazing representation, I remember being so excited when they announced the stages in Smash 3ds. I do wish more "franchise that will obviously never get characters" would get stages like this similar to Electroplankton and Pilotwings too. I think Brain age had a planned stages in Smash 4, it would have been cool to see that in Ultimate.

View attachment 382984
Come on... why you have to do me (and THEM) like that?
tumblr_nwntm18wTG1tu022ro2_1280.jpg

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I actually think there's a chance we get two Pokemon newcomers. Every Smash game has added at least two Pokemon that weren't in the last game, be it newcomers or cut veterans.

64: :pikachu64: :jigglypuff64:
Melee::mewtwomelee::pichumelee: (there's also data that suggests Meowth was planned but scrapped)
Brawl: :lucario::squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:
For: :4greninja::4mewtwo:
Ultimate: :ultivysaur::ultsquirtle::ultpichu::ultincineroar:

I'm not sure if I would put money on it, but it's not neccecarily a one-or-the-other situation between Gen 9 and 10.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Meowscarda might get some Anime Priority because Lika, the current Anime Protagonist, has a Sprigatito. So depending on where things go with her we might get Gen 9 regardless because Mascot Priority. I mean after all, that’s how Mewtwo and Lucario got in.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
i hope we dont get another G1 mon.
I don't see any real reason that we would, but I'd welcome someone like... I dunno, Gengar myself if it sets the precedent for Pokemon to get in not because they're especially relevant or fulfilling the quota, but instead just because they're fun and popular in their own right.

Which generation a Pokemon is from is kind of irrelevant to me. The Gen 1 guys are consistently relevant and highly regarded so if that's how it is then so be it. The value of the character is more important, seeing how a bulk of the most popular Pokemon appear in every game it doesn't really matter where they originated from after their generation is no longer the new hotness.

Not advocating for our whole lineup to be taken over by Gen 1 or anything, just saying another one wouldn't bother me all that much. Like, Pikachu / Charizard / Mewtwo are Kanto 'mon but they're so omnipresent that it barely matters where they came from, honestly. Maybe that's just me.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How come theY don't make Pokemon movies anymore?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So this question's been kicking around my head for a while, and while I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask it, I'd like to see what people here think.

What are some character archetypes you'd like to see included in Smash in the future? Whether they be mechanical or aesthetic, what are some niches you'd like to see filled?

FazDude

Smash Master
So this question's been kicking around my head for a while, and while I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask it, I'd like to see what people here think.

What are some character archetypes you'd like to see included in Smash in the future? Whether they be mechanical or aesthetic, what are some niches you'd like to see filled?
A stance change fighter where the actual character stays the same, but their moves change.

Case in point...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Meowscarda might get some Anime Priority because Lika, the current Anime Protagonist, has a Sprigatito. So depending on where things go with her we might get Gen 9 regardless because Mascot Priority. I mean after all, that’s how Mewtwo and Lucario got in.
I don't think that matters here, as Greninja and Incineroar were picked purely for their moveset potential and them being prominent in the anime afterwards was merely a coincidence. I think that it's actually Quaquaval who best fits this reasoning.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

I'd love more grapplers. They're usually who I play in fighting games and Incineroar and DK are the only ones I can really call grapplers.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Gen 7 getting no stages is still so baffling to me to be honest.
Gen 7 not getting a stage is a particularly glaring omission
Meanwhile, me with Corrin and Fire Emblem Fates not getting a stage:

Like I know it's not a favourable game, but it still had some great areas for stages and Fire Emblem in general can use some more stages based on a main location in the games.

Tetra/Captain Syrup, Takamaru/Lyn and Dillon would be cool for getting a Water-based Pirate character, a Samurai/Samurai-like character and a Cowboy character aesthetically. Mechanically, an FPS character with traits like ammunition, reloading and having to be careful with how much they currently have in their gun, a bit similar to Banjo's Wonderwing, could be interesting to see.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

A stance change fighter where the actual character stays the same, but their moves change.

Case in point...
Speaking of which, if this counts as an archetype, a "triplet character", where three characters are in one playable slot and the player can change from one to another. They all have the same moves, but each has their own strengths and weakness that power said attacks, so the attacks hit pretty differently depending on who you play as. A strong attack used by the strong fighter of the three could send the light and fast fighter of the three flying more than the strong guy!

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
I wonder how it’d go if they decided to nuke the almost all of the veteran stages in order to have mostly brand new stages. It’d probably result in the stage list being drastically reduced, but it’d also feel fresher.
I would ABSOLUTELY welcome a completely refreshed stage list. I hate to admit it, but almost half of the stages in Ultimate aren't fun to play on (a case of quantity over quality), and while legacy content is fun, I would much rather have a lot of new stages instead. There's so much untapped potential in stages that haven't been done yet and I'd love to see the team just go all-out on creativity.

I have a dream stage list for a theoretical Smash reboot that I update every now and then. Here's my latest one:

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I don't think that matters here, as Greninja and Incineroar were picked purely for their moveset potential and them being prominent in the anime afterwards was merely a coincidence. I think that it's actually Quaquaval who best fits this reasoning.
I will drink my own piss if that Josuke Duck gets in. Also Lucario. But now that you’ve mentioned it I now want them to skip straight to Generation 10 so we can avoid that Natural Disaster.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I would ABSOLUTELY welcome a completely refreshed stage list. I hate to admit it, but almost half of the stages in Ultimate aren't fun to play on, and while legacy content is fun, I would much rather have a lot of new stages instead. There's so much untapped potential in stages that haven't been done yet and I'd love to see the team just go all-out on creativity.

I have a dream stage list for a theoretical Smash reboot that I update every now and then. Here's my latest one:

Oooh, Minesweeper would be fun! Also, riding the train on MacBeth would be soo cool!

Top Bottom