• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Stratos

Smash Ace
For Switch 2 though not sure, but I guess we can count on a Luigi's Mansion 4. In Luigi's Mansion 1 it was about a haunted mansion, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (known as Luigi's Mansion 2) was about various haunted locations and finally in Luigi's Mansion 3 it was about a haunted hotel. In Luigi's Mansion 4 (if it's ever released or even mentioned), the only new thing I could think of (although the biggest possibility is that it will never happen), is different locations on different planets. But on the other hand, I also think about haunted parks and resorts attractions. In general, however, we consider Luigi's Mansion 4 perhaps finally in 2025.

Last edited:

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't be surprised if both Mario and Pokemon got their own dedicated spirit events that compile the big releases together. Wonder if anything from this year (like peach showtime or ttyd remake) will get included. I also expect another grabbag spirit event since well... They're not gonna not give Engage their due unless they're not pulling from Intelligent Systems' catalog for some reason.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
They're not gonna not give Engage their due unless they're not pulling from Intelligent Systems' catalog for some reason.
There's going to be a...huge bag of mixed emotions if Engage never gets anything during these spirit events.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
There's going to be a...huge bag of mixed emotions if Engage never gets anything during these spirit events.
And I think that would be silly, because these first party spirits don’t imply anything one way or another. If anything that would imply they didn’t care enough to represent Engage at all, as opposed to these last four recent titles that were apparently worth going out of their way for. Wouldn’t be surprised if we see Alear within the next three batches but also wouldn’t bat an eye if we didn’t.

I don’t think the presence or lack thereof for any individual character influences their chances outside of saying like, maybe Rauru or Oatchi is on their radar and leaving it at that. The next game is too far away to assume this is considered a satisfactory nod. Will be way more to sit on if we get some third party spirits, implying there are active conversations with that partner in respect to Smash.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If you're talking to me... why don't you just quote me?

And you can disagree with my point, that's fine, but there's no grounds on which to tell me to stop talking about it. I wasn't forcing anyone to participate, we were both being civil, it was only a few posts, and what we were discussing was a matter of perspective. I think some people agreed with me and some people agreed with the other side. That's often what happens in a debate.

This is very strange, to quote someone else to tell me to stop talking. With all due respect, I don't need you to police my conversations, especially with someone who seems to have had less of a problem with it than you.

And fwiw, I wasn't planning on responding again, because no one else had chimed in, and I agree we had said all we really could.
For not quoting you directly, I have my reasons.

Anyway, me posting what I posted as if you might be one to respond was treated by me as a mere possibility. Even though you weren’t planning to respond, which was another possibility that was, in this case, more likely, I only hoped what was happening would not drag on.

With that, I am now obligated to say this: Sorry if I was being accusatory towards you and in terms of anything else.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
**** it, I'm fully on the "Ultimate is getting more characters in 2024" train now.

I can't find the interview anywhere (and I'd appreciate anyone who could), but I remember Sakurai stating something to the effect that post-launch spirit events are meant to keep Ultimate up to date by including content from the newest games from Nintendo (and a handful of affiliates). This spirit event seems to be in that spirit ( :4pacman: ), which kind of begs the question: If there's a new Smash game in development right now, why would you include content from games like Tears of the Kingdom in Ultimate when their inclusion would be a selling point of this new game? The next Smash game is already fighting an uphill battle simply due to the nature of following Ultimate. You'd figure you'd want to save every potential new inclusion for the next game, even if they're in non-playable roles. Plus, another Smash would presumably be able to give these games a lot more in terms of content, even if they don't get playable characters. For example, why would you jump the gun on including Tears of the Kingdom in Ultimate when it would probably get at least a stage, music, and an assist trophy in the next Smash?

I always found it a little fishy that Ultimate was getting new content, given the presumed rigamarole of getting the infrastructure and staff necessary to make such updates, but it made enough sense in the context of a 25th anniversary. It's a big year for Smash, so I get wanting to get some content out the door before the year ends, with this being the only feasible way of doing that. However, the substance of the content is what's surprising. I think everyone in the thread was predicting the spirits would be something a little more... insular. Something that doesn't really expand the scope of Ultimate and more overtly celebrates Smash, like getting spirits of the Smash 64 fighters using their art. Their choice to instead expand Ultimate further and keep it up to date is really interesting.

I dunno, maybe I'm an insane person who is dramatically overthinking this. This whole thing just seems a little suspect in the grander future of the Smash franchise. The viability of this plan is dependent on whether the next piece of Nintendo hardware is backward compatible with the Switch. If it is, though, and especially if Ultimate is highlighted at all in the Switch 2's announcement, hoo boy.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If there's a new Smash game in development right now, why would you include content from games like Tears of the Kingdom in Ultimate when their inclusion would be a selling point of this new game?
To be fair I think everyone was predicting games like ToTK/XC3/Splatoon 3/Pikmin 4 would be part of these spirit events anyway.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If I had to guess what the next three events were...

2 - First Party Roundup 2 (Alear, Koraidon+Miraidon, Elefin, Prince Florian)

3 - Third Party Roundup (Bayonetta 3, Luke Streets, Sage Sonic, Sans Undertale)

4 - Anniversary celebration (Spirits for Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, and 4. As in, explicitly the games.)
Luke isnt from street fighter 2 tho.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
To be fair I think everyone was predicting games like ToTK/XC3/Splatoon 3/Pikmin 4 would be part of these spirit events anyway.
Could you find some posts suggesting this? I could be forgetting something, but I don't think I saw anyone think we'd just get spirits from late Switch entries. The prevailing sentiment I remember was that this event would be made up of the Smash 64 art of the original fighters, while the next Smash game would focus significantly on Switch games from the 2020s.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Could you find some posts suggesting this? I could be forgetting something, but I don't think I saw anyone think we'd just get spirits from late Switch entries. The prevailing sentiment I remember was that this event would be made up of the Smash 64 art of the original fighters, while the next Smash game would focus significantly on Switch games from the 2020s.
From this page alone:
You can see people speculating on it involving recent Nintendo games.

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
I think it makes sense that if they come back to Ultimate for the Sora Amiibo compatibility patch, it also makes sense they'd throw in the pngs of the most recent first party games. They probably just want to represent the post-smash years of the Switch as best they can before signing off completely, so that Smash is technically a truly "every part of the switch" game, even if only in Spirit (hehe).

At the same time the Great Amiibo Restock of late 2023 hangs in the back of my mind. It feels like they wouldn't have done that randomly, and so something would have to come to pass this year... but other evidence like the Studio S shenanigans and Sakurai ending his channel suggests that the next Smash is still a few years out...

You don't need hindsight to say what's most likely to happen, but my hopium still does believe that the amiibo patch isn't the last we'll see of Smash this year/console generation.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If there's a new Smash game in development right now, why would you include content from games like Tears of the Kingdom in Ultimate when their inclusion would be a selling point of this new game?
I get the sentiment here, but I think it's overstating what this is. I'm sure the next game would have more to offer than one measly spirit, certainly none of these spirits are satisfactory representations of these respective characters or titles.

I can't tell you the exact motivation for adding these to Ultimate, outside of the Sora amiibo update being a good excuse to toss in some bonus content, but it's a bit disingenuous to suggest they just blew their load on TOTK content and now it wouldn't be a selling point for Smash 6. It still would be - all the music, stage, character options are still going to be just as enticing with or without a Rauru spirit in Ultimate. Nobody is gonna see say, Rauru get announced as a character or AT and be like ehh well we got TOTK content last game. I really don't think anyone is attributing this much weight to them.

Would be different if we suddenly got a really bulky update with new stages and music from each of these new games. That would be more reason to be skeptical of the intent, and question why they'd do this now and not next game. This just feels like biding time.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Well, I don't mind more spirits for my collection.

But unfortunately, it won't do much for my burnout from this series.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well, I don't mind more spirits for my collection.

But unfortunately, it won't do much for my burnout from this series.
I found that mods really help a lot in that regard. There’s pretty much always something new to get excited about every week. If you learn how to mod yourself, you can put all your favorite characters into Smash and it gives you something fun to work on on the side. Right now, it’s primarily model imports, voice mods, and music but I’ve seen some promising advancements in movesets. The main thing that will be missing at that point that Brawl had are stage swaps with interesting layouts that aren’t more Battlefield clones.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
**** it, I'm fully on the "Ultimate is getting more characters in 2024" train now.

I can't find the interview anywhere (and I'd appreciate anyone who could), but I remember Sakurai stating something to the effect that post-launch spirit events are meant to keep Ultimate up to date by including content from the newest games from Nintendo (and a handful of affiliates). This spirit event seems to be in that spirit ( :4pacman: ), which kind of begs the question: If there's a new Smash game in development right now, why would you include content from games like Tears of the Kingdom in Ultimate when their inclusion would be a selling point of this new game? The next Smash game is already fighting an uphill battle simply due to the nature of following Ultimate. You'd figure you'd want to save every potential new inclusion for the next game, even if they're in non-playable roles. Plus, another Smash would presumably be able to give these games a lot more in terms of content, even if they don't get playable characters. For example, why would you jump the gun on including Tears of the Kingdom in Ultimate when it would probably get at least a stage, music, and an assist trophy in the next Smash?

I always found it a little fishy that Ultimate was getting new content, given the presumed rigamarole of getting the infrastructure and staff necessary to make such updates, but it made enough sense in the context of a 25th anniversary. It's a big year for Smash, so I get wanting to get some content out the door before the year ends, with this being the only feasible way of doing that. However, the substance of the content is what's surprising. I think everyone in the thread was predicting the spirits would be something a little more... insular. Something that doesn't really expand the scope of Ultimate and more overtly celebrates Smash, like getting spirits of the Smash 64 fighters using their art. Their choice to instead expand Ultimate further and keep it up to date is really interesting.

I dunno, maybe I'm an insane person who is dramatically overthinking this. This whole thing just seems a little suspect in the grander future of the Smash franchise. The viability of this plan is dependent on whether the next piece of Nintendo hardware is backward compatible with the Switch. If it is, though, and especially if Ultimate is highlighted at all in the Switch 2's announcement, hoo boy.
Don't do that to me.

Don't give me my personal best case scenario.

I'm spoiled enough as it is.

That said, are you implying the only thing to take from TotK is... Rauru?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t think it’s a sure thing but I’m not ruling out the possibility of future Fighter’s Passes for Ultimate. They did it with Mario Kart years after release so I don’t think it’s out of the question. If Switch 2 is backwards compatible, they could just keep building onto Ultimate without the need for a brand new game until further down the road.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don’t think it’s a sure thing but I’m not ruling out the possibility of future Fighter’s Passes for Ultimate. They did it with Mario Kart years after release so I don’t think it’s out of the question. If Switch 2 is backwards compatible, they could just keep building onto Ultimate without the need for a brand new game until further down the road.
Yeah I don't believe this will happen, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than the persistent Ultimate Deluxe proposition. If you're not ready to move on from Ultimate, and Switch 2 can play Ultimate, than just keep updating that game and apply some next gen patch to make it look prettier / run better. I'm pretty certain they're ready to move onto the next thing, but for the people who think it's more valuable to keep building onto what we already have then this is much more practical than a full rerelease with all content included. This way they wouldn't have to renew all these licenses under new conditions if they're already here.

Feel like it's important to mention though, this does just continue to exacerbate the existing issue of roster bloat. The longer we build on Ultimate the harder it is to scale back, so stretching this out for a couple more years feels good in the moment but will just lead to even greater heartbreak the following gen. Personally I'm ready to rip off that bandaid and just see what the future holds by now.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah I don't believe this will happen, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than the persistent Ultimate Deluxe proposition. If you're not ready to move on from Ultimate, and Switch 2 can play Ultimate, than just keep updating that game and apply some next gen patch to make it look prettier / run better. I'm pretty certain they're ready to move onto the next thing, but for the people who think it's more valuable to keep building onto what we already have then this is much more practical than a full rerelease with all content included. This way they wouldn't have to renew all these licenses if they're already here.

Feel like it's important to mention though, this does just continue to exacerbate the existing issue of roster bloat. The longer we build on Ultimate the harder it is to scale back, so stretching this out for a couple more years feels good in the moment but will just lead to even greater heartbreak the following gen. Personally I'm ready to rip off that bandaid and just see what the future holds by now.
The problem is that I’d find it harder to get hyped for new characters if I’m losing my favorites. For example, I’d love Illidan in Smash but I’d hate to lose Sephiroth to get him. Part of the fun is building exciting match ups with the characters already in the game. It would be awesome to see multiple favorites in the same game rather than a rotating door. Not saying Illidan is likely at all, just an example of one of my existing favorites and most wanted.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I found that mods really help a lot in that regard. There’s pretty much always something new to get excited about every week. If you learn how to mod yourself, you can put all your favorite characters into Smash and it gives you something fun to work on on the side. Right now, it’s primarily model imports but I’ve seen some promising advancements in movesets. The main thing that will be missing at that point that Brawl had are stage swaps with interesting layouts that aren’t Battlefield clones.
I've never done any modding myself and to be honest, I've never been much of a fan of them. They're cool to look at but I just prefer the official work.

But really, it's just Smash itself that I'm kind of burnt out from. You can only enjoy it for so long. Though this is no fault of the series. You see these other major game companies (even the ones involved in Smash) and they have so many characters of their own, and it's just a shame almost none of them made their own all-star crossover games. Instead, it's mostly just smaller companies making games like the Nickelodeon games and Multiversus.

Though this isn't the first time this has happened. I got burnt out from Smash 4 until Ultimate was released but I did enjoy Ultimate much longer.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
It is a bitter pill to swallow since Everyone is Here is most likely a one and done thing. So, certain characters won't return due to company's agreement and/or other reasons I can't think about.
Screenshot_20231104_165330_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I've never done any modding myself and to be honest, I've never been much of a fan of them. They're cool to look at but I just prefer the official work.

But really, it's just Smash itself that I'm kind of burnt out from. You can only enjoy it for so long. Though this is no fault of the series. You see these other major game companies (even the ones involved in Smash) and they have so many characters of their own, and it's just a shame almost none of them made their own all-star crossover games. Instead, it's mostly just smaller companies making games like the Nickelodeon games and Multiversus.
Is it the gameplay or the roster that you’re getting burnt out on? Either way, I totally understand. I know I’d have stopped playing regularly years ago if it wasn’t for mods but I agree that they’re not really a substitute for an official thing with higher production values. I’d still buy every game but I’d probably drop the game after a couple of months then pick it up again for a few days with each DLC character.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The problem is that I’d find it harder to get hyped for new characters if I’m losing my favorites. For example, I’d love Illidan in Smash but I’d hate to lose Sephiroth to get him. Part of the fun is building exciting match ups with the characters already in the game. Not saying Illidan is likely at all, just an example of one of my existing favorites and most wanted.
I get it and can agree with it to some extent, but unfortunately that's just what we have to be prepared for. Naturally someone like Illidan would have no bearing on Sephiroth individually so you should be able to appreciate them on separate terms, as cool as it would be to have them fight. Fans of other long running fighting games have needed to adapt to losing their favorites between games and finding new ones too, and while Smash is a special case of having that unique crossover appeal and deep sentimental value placed onto certain characters divorced from simply how they play... tough luck, ultimately.

I'm realizing though, as much as certain exclusions would have me mildly disappointed or scratching my head, there are only a handful of characters who I'd be completely devastated to lose. King Dedede, Little Mac and probably Ridley being removed would rattle me but I'm in a fortunate position where most of the characters I love deeply both inside and outside of Smash are relatively safe choices. I could part with most of the third parties and I'd live. So maybe I've been able to cope with this a little better than others, I'm more worried about the way the community will respond to cuts over how they'll affect me.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I get it and can agree with it to some extent, but unfortunately that's just what we have to be prepared for. Naturally someone like Illidan would have no bearing on Sephiroth individually so you should be able to appreciate them on separate terms, as cool as it would be to have them fight. Fans of other long running fighting games have needed to adapt to losing their favorites between games and finding new ones too, and while Smash is a special case of having that unique crossover appeal and deep sentimental value placed onto certain characters divorced from simply how they play... tough luck, ultimately.

I'm realizing though, as much as certain exclusions would have me mildly disappointed or scratching my head, there are only a handful of characters who I'd be completely devastated to lose. King Dedede, Little Mac and probably Ridley being removed would rattle me but I'm in a fortunate position where most of the characters I love deeply both inside and outside of Smash are relatively safe choices. I could part with most of the third parties and I'd live. So maybe I've been able to cope with this a little better than others, I'm more worried about the way the community will respond to cuts over how they'll affect me.
Yeah, I’ll be able to accept it either way and I won’t complain. If the end roster for the next Smash drops all my favorites and I don’t care about any newcomers, I’ll probably still buy it and play it for a while. I can always go back to Ultimate once I’m done.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How likely do you guys think balance patches may be?

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
This isn't my original opinion but I do hope that DK and Bowser receive their actual voices for the next game because of the Mario Movie. The Mario Movie has done so much for these characters and how they're perceived by the public eye, especially personality-wise, so I do think that there is at least some chance of Nintendo forcing the Smash team to make the more animalistic fighters finally act like the cartoony characters they were supposed to be in the first place.

By now, Nintendo would have to notice the dissonance between what they want these characters to be and what they are in Smash, right? Mario Wonder's animations had a lot of care put into them specifically to live up to the impact of the Mario Movie, so I think that other Nintendo franchises could also feel the ripple effect of that.

Besides, there's only so far you can push the animal voices when they're placed on characters that don't fit. All the DK characters are held back by it, despite the DK series being a wacky cartoon world. What makes Banjo exempt from roaring like a bear when Diddy is forced to make monkey noises? Why can't Bowser act goofy and have his voice, but his son can? It's wildly inconsistent and I believe the whole animal voice thing should have been abolished by Smash 4. It got rid of Brawl's grit in the art style, but a lot of grit remained in characters' mannerisms (Mario) and the animal voices.

While they're at it, I think they'd get new lines for all the Mario characters because of the Mario Movie as well. It does help that the current clips we have are pushing 2 decades in age, and with Kevin Afghani taking the new role of Mario and Luigi (hopefully his Wario either improves or they get someone else to do it) it'd be kind of ridiculous not to do new recordings.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
How likely do you guys think balance patches may be?
I'd probably say unlikely and assume the team that would handle that is probably moving onto another project by now. Spirit battles and amiibo compatibility feel like they would be under the management of different people, right? At the very least, it'd be a lot less work and I think most of these additions are gonna be on the "throwing us a bone" end of things rather than going in and revising stuff.

Would love to be wrong though, I think the game needs a shake-up and god knows some characters deserve to be nerfed.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'd probably say unlikely and assume the team that would handle that is probably moving onto another project by now. Spirit battles and amiibo compatibility feel like they would be under the management of different people, right? At the very least, it'd be a lot less work and I think most of these additions are gonna be on the "throwing us a bone" end of things rather than going in and revising stuff.

Would love to be wrong though, I think the game needs a shake-up and god knows some characters deserve to be nerfed.
And we can buff characters like Ganondorf, Zelda, and Little Mac while they’re at it. Buffs are usually more exciting than nerfs but some very overpowered characters could use it.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Is it the gameplay or the roster that you’re getting burnt out on? Either way, I totally understand. I know I’d have stopped playing regularly years ago if it wasn’t for mods but I agree that they’re not really a substitute for an official thing with higher production values. I’d still buy every game but I’d probably drop the game after a couple of months then pick it up again for a few days with each DLC character.
I think both. I'm not even speculating much now. Though, I still look for news (especially if it points to my MWs having a chance), even that doesn't really happen often and before long, I'm back to just thinking about other things that we could have had besides just Smash.

I think Smash just really needs an alternative. I was hoping PlayStation All-Stars was going to be that but crossovers don't seem to be Sony's thing and after ten years of not getting a sequel or even a successor, I've given up on them.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And we can buff characters like Ganondorf, Zelda, and Little Mac while they’re at it. Buffs are usually more exciting than nerfs but some very overpowered characters could use it.
Homie really tried to sneak in Zelda for buffs like she doesn’t have the strongest Final Smash in the game.

You know better. :snakefire:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Watch Smash Ultimate become the "Mario Kart 8" of the next generation. Kept alive purely cause of the copyright drama and 3rd parties earning their share, knowing well it cannot ever be realized again unless milked out till the last drops of fluid in the cow.

Worst thing? It might not even be a bad thing.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I think it makes sense that if they come back to Ultimate for the Sora Amiibo compatibility patch, it also makes sense they'd throw in the pngs of the most recent first party games. They probably just want to represent the post-smash years of the Switch as best they can before signing off completely, so that Smash is technically a truly "every part of the switch" game, even if only in Spirit (hehe).

At the same time the Great Amiibo Restock of late 2023 hangs in the back of my mind. It feels like they wouldn't have done that randomly, and so something would have to come to pass this year... but other evidence like the Studio S shenanigans and Sakurai ending his channel suggests that the next Smash is still a few years out...

You don't need hindsight to say what's most likely to happen, but my hopium still does believe that the amiibo patch isn't the last we'll see of Smash this year/console generation.
Sora's amiibo coming out this late reminds me of... was it Cloud's? amiibo coming out years after the other Smash 4 ones. In the end it came out when things were starting to gear up for Ultimate, iirc.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Who else wishes Smash in general put more effort into alts for other characters? Sora, Joker, Sephiroth, Hero, Byleth, Kazuya, and Steve’s alts in Ultimate are great steps in the right direction, IMO. I just wish other fighters had similar amounts of love with their alts.
Same, there's so much potential.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Who else wishes Smash in general put more effort into alts for other characters? Sora, Joker, Sephiroth, Hero, Byleth, Kazuya, and Steve’s alts in Ultimate are great steps in the right direction, IMO. I just wish other fighters had similar amounts of love with their alts.
I can understand somewhat with outright alternate costumes since that's still making a new model that needs proper physics applied and need to fit with the moveset and hit-boxes, but I don't see why we don't have some more obvious alternate colors. Why don't we have Shiny Lucario? Why don't we have outright Hilda colors for Zelda? Why don't we have a male and female Villager based on their New Leaf/Mario Kart 8 designs or with their hats, like in the GameCube Animal Crossing?

Last edited:
Top Bottom