• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Just make them alts.

Yeah, and that was a bad thing that Smash did.
Eh, it makes them more interesting in my opinion. I had no knowledge or interest in the Ice Climbers before Smash but the concept of a duo character like that made them stand out.

Considering it has an attack that literally has it propelling itself at an enemy to stab it with the big blade on it's back while upside-down, I'm pretty sure it being goofy was intentional.
That’s true. Maybe goofy wasn’t quite the right word. I like plenty of silly Pokemon. I’m a big fan of Sunflora for example. There’s just something about the Baxcalibur line that just doesn’t really appeal to me. Not sure I can explain it better than “I don’t personally care for its design”.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
DarthEnderX DarthEnderX Alts? I know there is Alph with Olimar, but I would find a duo character with both Joe and Mac to be more interesting (as Gengar84 Gengar84 said) and perhaps some more moveset potential (to a degree) than just having one be playable and another be an alt. I kinda want them both together and not separate, as being separate would be kinda lame to me.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
DarthEnderX DarthEnderX Alts? I know there is Alph with Olimar, but I would find a duo character with both Joe and Mac to be more interesting (as Gengar84 Gengar84 said) and perhaps some more moveset potential (to a degree) than just having one be playable and another be an alt. I kinda want them both together and not separate, as being separate would be kinda lame to me.
I feel like Joe and Mac would work great either as solo characters as alts or a duo character like the Ice Climbers. True, each player only controlled one character in the games but I think they’d be fun as another option for an Ice Climber style character. As long as you don’t overload the roster with tons of gimmick characters like transform or duo characters, I think it’s fine to have a few here and there where they make sense. Darth seems completely opposed to the idea in general.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I feel like Joe and Mac would work great either as solo characters as alts or a duo character like the Ice Climbers. True, each player only controlled one character in the games but I think they’d be fun as another option for an Ice Climber style character. As long as you don’t overload the roster with tons of gimmick characters like transform or duo characters, I think it’s fine to have a few here and there where they make sense. Darth seems completely opposed to the idea in general.
Yeah, a solo character could work as well. I am just more into the duo character for those two myself. I have had this thought for a while now.

Stratos

Smash Ace
As I write this I admit that the unicycle from Uniracers would have no chance of coming as a player character in the Super Smash Bros. series and it's a matter of fact that Pixar had sued because they felt that since they were the first to make a live unicycle on a computer only they had the right to make while in fact Pixar's live unicycle was different than the live unicycle from Uniracers, I believe that anyone had the right to use a live unicycle as a protagonist. But if Pixar hadn't sued and the living unicycle from Uniracers existed as a player character in the Super Smash Bros. series, it would be original to have a fighter be a living object, but it's a question of what its moves and its Final Smash would be based on. However, as player characters in the Super Smash Bros. series, we have humans, animals, fantastic creatures, monsters, aliens, robots, mutants, angels, etc., but we definitely don't have a living object like the unicycle from Uniracers.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As I write this I admit that the unicycle from Uniracers would have no chance of coming as a player character in the Super Smash Bros. series and it's a matter of fact that Pixar had sued because they felt that since they were the first to make a live unicycle on a computer only they had the right to make while in fact Pixar's live unicycle was different than the live unicycle from Uniracers, I believe that anyone had the right to use a live unicycle as a protagonist. But if Pixar hadn't sued and the living unicycle from Uniracers existed as a player character in the Super Smash Bros. series, it would be original to have a fighter be a living object, but it's a question of what its moves and its Final Smash would be based on. However, as player characters in the Super Smash Bros. series, we have humans, animals, fantastic creatures, monsters, aliens, robots, mutants, angels, etc., but we definitely don't have a living object like the unicycle from Uniracers.
i know what you mean. uniracers (aka unirally) would have been quite interesting to see grow. but pixar now seems to have sole right to living unicycles and isn't doing anything with it

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
i know what you mean. uniracers (aka unirally) would have been quite interesting to see grow. but pixar now seems to have sole right to living unicycles and isn't doing anything with it
I know this isn't a patent but there's so many cases of patents and other legal mumbo jumbo actively stifling creativity, it's really frustrating

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I agree with Darth on this, I'd rather not get more Icies styled duo characters. I'd be fine with pairs who swap who's in the lead or companions with set commands/follow ups, but I don't want another desync duo. And if they do try it again, I want it to be a pair who are actually known for working together.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, I've been thinking about Pokemon stages.

The stages we'd get are probably going to be from one of three games.

Sword and Shield
Legends: Arceus
Scarlett and Violet

I can see one of the stadiums being a perfect stage for Sword and Shield. If Scarlett and Violet don't get Area Zero, we riot.

But what about Legends:Arceus? Should it get a stage? What would it be if it got one? Spear Pillar is already a stage.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Sword and Shield
Scarlett and Violet

I can see one of the stadiums being a perfect stage for Sword and Shield. If Scarlett and Violet don't get Area Zero, we riot.

But what about Legends:Arceus? Should it get a stage? What would it be if it got one? Spear Pillar is already a stage.
might I suggest instead the crown tundra as a stage? So I can pretend it’s Scotland

as for area zero, I say right down by the zero lab

legends? how about the hall of origin?

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Sword and Shield
Scarlett and Violet

We need to get an Area Zero stage in the next Smash. That area was so interesting compared to most Pokemon regions, particularly the depths in the DLC. The background music for both the world and battles there were great. I particularly love the final battle theme for the main story.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Kind of an unconventional choice, but I'd love to have a Pokémon Snap stage. There are enough interesting things you could do both with the Pokémon proper and Todd in the Zero One to make it a pretty fun experience.
I know Jigglypuff is already playable, but have three Jigglypuffs be on the stage and sing like in the Caves area from Pokemon Snap, and you can interrupt them somehow and they can then get mad at you. I think that'd be funny.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
When I want to do that I just...make a 2 player team. I don't try and distort the character's moveset to accommodate playing both simultaneously.
Hmmm, I am not sure. I am more of the kind of person who wants to control both at once.

Still, I would like Bub and Bub from Bubble Bobble to be in Smash as an Ice Climber duo, but I'ma be honest, it is either them, or Joe and Mac. I can't say I want both those sets of characters as Ice Climber duos.

But yeah, I think another duo character can work, especially if they make it so that they have something unique to them.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’d say the Ice Climber style duo character I want the most is H’aanit and Linde from Octopath Traveller. Unlike the Ice Climbers, the two are radically different in gameplay so it would be really interesting to see them play off each other. It might mean a bit closer to a Rosalina/Luma style but with H’aanit having more of a direct part in the fight than Rosalina. She can mix it up between her archery, axe attacks, and her beast companion. Some other similar ideas here could be Nia/Dromarch and Yuri/Repede.

The other duo characters I really want lean more closely towards a traditional transform character but with a few team attacks here and there. Some examples I’d love to see here are Dixie/Kiddy, Alohen/Shionne, and Vi/Caitlyn.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The other duo characters I really want lean more closely towards a traditional transform character but with a few team attacks here and there.
I still haven't gotten around to playing it, but I was so impressed with the way the NASB2 team handled the Angry Beavers in this respect. I never put the pieces together for an intuitive partner assist mechanic like that and now I feel like that'd have been the ideal way to do Diddy and Dixie. I think Pyra and Mythra are already solid, but if they ever give it another attempt with more of a two separate characters tag out sort of deal then that's how I'd like it to go down.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Regarding the types of player characters that are in the Super Smash Bros. series, I remembered that none of them are undead, i.e. skeleton, zombie, ghost, vampire, mummy, etc.. But as I wrote, a living object as a player character in the series Super Smash Bros. would be something very original.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I still haven't gotten around to playing it, but I was so impressed with the way the NASB2 team handled the Angry Beavers in this respect. I never put the pieces together for an intuitive partner assist mechanic like that and now I feel like that'd have been the ideal way to do Diddy and Dixie. I think Pyra and Mythra are already solid, but if they ever give it another attempt with more of a two separate characters tag out sort of deal then that's how I'd like it to go down.
NASB2 Angry Beavers is such a cool design for a platform fighter character. I'd definitely want them to give the Diddy and Dixie tag team mechanic another go, with something similar to how the Beavers are designed, but I guess with the other Kong always following behind (unless commanded to do a move) like in DKC. We're three technology generations past Brawl, I'm sure they could get it to work with no problem this time.

I'm also for Dixie and Kiddy as the duo, but only if Kiddy's stamina KO animation has him throw a tantrum on-stage and scream for 3 seconds before exploding.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
View attachment 382263

Can YOU name all of these fine creations? I can name... 2!

But I really just wanna know who the purple one on the right is :love:
From right to left:
Wart - Super Mario Bros 2
Hilda - Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds
Baby Rosalina
King Knight - Shovel Knight
Mythra
Culdra - Culdcept
Princess Shokura - Wario Land 4
Baby Peach
Garon - Fire Emblem Fates
Nyna - Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon

Only the monkey I don't know.
For the record, the monkey prince is Prince Saruno from Tsukutte Utau: Saru Band.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I get where you're coming from, but the issue of having only one of the Eeveelutions or a solo Eevee disconnected from its evolutions is the fact that Eevee's entire identity is defined by its versatility in gameplay through its evolutions. If Eevee was just another cute, gen 1 normal-type in the same vein as Clefairy, I don't think anyone would seriously be going to bat for it. In fact, people would probably bemoan that Eevee is so underpowered and doesn't have anything going for it that other Pokemon don't. People like Eevee because of the Eeveelutions. XD and Let's Go Eevee made Eevee their starter Pokemon, but the former immediately shoves evolution items in your face within the first 20 minutes of gameplay so you can immediately get your preferred form of the little guy and the latter gives you a whack of moves to represent the various Eeveelutions. It's telling that Eevee can be given top-billing in these games... so long as its evolutions are given some indirect focus to make Eevee stand out more.

The same principle applies to the Eeveelutions, as these Pokemon are most fondly thought of as a set. I can't see Umbreon being as popular in a world where it's just another Pokemon and not the Dark-type evolution of Eevee. All of the Eeveelutions also have approximately equal importance in the games, so it's really tough to make a case for an Eeveelution that particularly deserves to be in Smash above all else without appealing to some individual preference that isn't universal. Some may be happy that, say, Vaporeon got into Smash, but a lot more people would have a grievance that their favourite Eeveeultion has no representation while another one arbitrarily had a red carpet rolled out for it.
IF you were going to add just one Eeveelution as a solo character, perhaps the best way you could try to justify it would be to simply choose one based on a combination of overall popularity and marketing push, like Umbreon or Sylveon.
BUT again I think the best solution is to make solo Eevee, and give it an Extreme Evoboost style of Final Smash, so that all of its Evolutions can appear together as part of the moveset without having to implement any over-the-top, excessively gimmicky, or resource-intensive mechanics. And again, you can further reference the Evolutions with palette swaps. It's the simplest solution, and probably also the closest achievable thing to the "everybody's happy" scenario.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I am not that kind of person. I find that to be more work than it's worth.

And if they're gonna do it, it should at least be for characters that actually played that way.

Like Sonic/Tails, Magic Sword, Jonathan/Charlotte, or any DKC duo.
Well, it did happen with the Ice Climber characters, and plus, one more duo of that kind can't possibly hurt. Anyways, speak for yourself, but I personally think Sakurai would do such a thing with Joe and Mac.

Speaking of DKC duos, I hear Diddy was almost paired with Dixie as a tag team character for Brawl.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Regarding the types of player characters that are in the Super Smash Bros. series, I remembered that none of them are undead, i.e. skeleton, zombie, ghost, vampire, mummy, etc.. But as I wrote, a living object as a player character in the series Super Smash Bros. would be something very original.
steve has a zombie alt so that's one undead.

also yes i'm in favour of an object fighter. i have a soft spot for that character type

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Killer Instinct has pretty much all of those bases covered if we got someone from that game:

Skeleton: Spinal
Ghost: Hisako
Vampire: Mira
Zombie/Mummy: Kan-Ra
Object: Aganos

Granted, if we did get a character, it would likely be Fulgore, Jago, or Orchid but there are definitely a lot of great options for undead characters.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I've been thinking, anyone else think Pizza Tower could potentially get any recognition in the next game, as a spirit or trophy or Mii costume or whatever? The Cuphead mii costume was a big surprise for me in Ultimate and basically proved to me that more recent indie endeavors still have a fair shot at making it into the game in some fashion, even if it's something small. And yeah, while Pizza Tower isn't on a Nintendo console, that point is kind of moot when Persona's representation on Nintendo consoles was basically nonexistent when Joker made it in.

Idk, Pizza Tower is heavily inspired by a Nintendo title (Wario Land) and feels like a natural thing to reference in Smash, with the only big "obstacle" being that it's not actually playable on Nintendo hardware.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Undead characters?

Scorpion is my pick.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Which female characters do you guys expect to join?

Lara Croft, Ryza, Chun Li, 2B, Tifa Lockhart, Shantae, Arle Nadja, Morrigan, Jill, Hat Kid..
Just from top of my head.
Octoling and ring fit trainee are most likely although they have male version of them so idk if it counts

but if you ask me what female character could break the internet I would guess Reimu or Hatsune miku due to their massive community worldwide as they target people outside the smash community

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Which female characters do you guys expect to join?

Lara Croft, Ryza, Chun Li, 2B, Tifa Lockhart, Shantae, Arle Nadja, Morrigan, Jill, Hat Kid..
Just from top of my head.
someone from Hyperdimension Neptunia.
There are a lot of options to choose and I can't pick one to be in Smash.

Top Bottom