• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
To recap, there were no third-party newcomers to the Super Smash Bros series from the following companies:

Koei Tecmo
Arc System Works
The Tetris Company
Ubisoft
Oddworld
NetherRealm Studios

Although I know some other companies escape my mind.
I really hope Rayman appearing in the Mario and Rabbids DLC is a first step towards Rayman actually being playable in Smash just because I'm tired of Ubisoft being this weird anomaly in the series lmao

It's still so weird to me that they're like "nah, no playable character, Rayman as a trophy and a Spirit is enough"

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
To recap, there were no third-party newcomers to the Super Smash Bros series from the following companies:

Koei Tecmo
Arc System Works
The Tetris Company
Ubisoft
Oddworld
NetherRealm Studios

Although I know some other companies escape my mind.
  • Marvelous/G-Mode
  • Compile Heart/Idea Factory
  • MAGES.
  • Falcom
  • Level-5
  • Nippon ichi
  • Interplay
  • 5thExpansion (The "When They Cry..." guys)
  • Team17
  • Type-Moon
  • Take Two/Rockstar
  • Riot Games

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Kingdom Hearts took a bunch of influence from Star Wars anyways so in conclusion liking either or both is equally lame. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
no he kicked KH
So what? Let's be honest, KH's story has never been known to be great or all that well-written.

The same has been said and agreed about SSE's story, which just happened to be written by the same person.

You should know this by now. so that shouldn't be anything to fuss about.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Thank you for mentioning them to me because I had forgotten some of them.
Also, there's Electronic Arts. They're the biggest gaming company right now that currently has zero representation in Smash.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
So can I just mention...you know how before Smash Bros. Ultimate came out, we got all of those countdown images of various characters from Nintendo and the different 3rd party companies? If we ever do get Scorpion from Mortal Kombat in Smash Bros. and Sora is still around, I'll be majorly disappointed if we don't get an official image of Sora and Scorpion expressing positively towards the viewers while one hand from Mickey Mouse and another hand from Bugs Bunny are in the background above and behind their respective characters giving a thumbs-up.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So what? Let's be honest, KH's story has never been known to be great or all that well-written.

The same has been said and agreed about SSE's story, which just happened to be written by the same person.

You should know this by now. so that shouldn't be anything to fuss about.
oh i see when some takes a dig at a story they don't like that's fine but when i take a dig at a story i don't like that's not allowed?

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
oh i see when some takes a dig at a story they don't like that's fine but when i take a dig at a story i don't like that's not allowed?
Just to spite another poster? No, that's not allowed. Let's not forget, you did diss his username, which is why you brought up Star Wars in the first place. So it's not just a matter of you not liking Star Wars story. You dissed him over something many people have been saying for years and told him he shouldn't speak on it.

It's okay to voice your disagreements about the story but it's not okay to get personal based on your disagreements.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Just to spite another poster? No, that's not allowed. Let's not forget, you did diss his username, which is why you brought up Star Wars in the first place. So it's not just a matter of you not liking Star Wars story. You dissed him over something many people have been saying for years and told him he shouldn't speak on it.

It's okay to voice your disagreements about the story but it's not okay to get personal based on your disagreements.
and what dissing stories is fine? implying a story is objectively bad and everyone who likes it is wrong is fine? just because a snipe isn’t directed at some specific doesn’t mean it doesn’t sting

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
and what dissing stories is fine? implying a story is objectively bad and everyone who likes it is wrong is fine? just because a snipe isn’t directed at some specific doesn’t mean it doesn’t sting
What the heck...? This has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

If Chun-Li was in Smash, how would you feel if her Final Smash was Super Arts, with her Final Smash depending on the level of the meter?
I can picture that working.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Looks like Bandai Namco has set up a dedicated studio for their collaborations with Nintendo

This studio is hiring for a 2d and a 3d action game and they clarify how it is specifically commissioned by Nintendo

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Looks like Bandai Namco has set up a dedicated studio for their collaborations with Nintendo

This studio is hiring for a 2d and a 3d action game and they clarify how it is specifically commissioned by Nintendo
No way, I might actually be right about Smash doing a traditional big Ultimate sequel alongside a smaller experimental 3D spinoff

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
yes it does because this started off with darth insulting a story. read the posts
I will apologise to darth if he wants but I didn’t sling the first insult

What a curious development

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
yes it does because this started off with darth insulting a story. read the posts
A slight shot at a story. What does that have to do with you?

I will apologise to darth if he wants but I didn’t sling the first insult
Yes...you did. He was talking about a story and you dissed his username for it. You were the one who made it personal.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Kingdom Hearts and Star Wars both walk into a bar.

They both see The Last of Us: Part II.

They both insult The Last of Us: Part II.

The end.

This is all very ****ing stupid.

Also I do not like The Last of Us: Part II

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion

This definitely seems like it could be Smash related but I wonder what else it could lead to?

I explained that already you’re not listening
No, you didn't. And there's no way you can.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Kingdom Hearts and Star Wars both walk into a bar.

They both see The Last of Us: Part II.

They both insult The Last of Us: Part II.

The end.

This is all very ****ing stupid.

Also I do not like The Last of Us: Part II
I find most of life is

No, you didn't. And there's no way you can.
I did though. Implying a story is objectively bad is implying that everyone who likes it wrong or foolish. An insult. Not a direct one but an insult nonetheless. Now if that sounds crazy that’s because it is but what can you expect from the forum lunatic.

but more to the point I said I would apologise to darth if he wants me too, I don’t think he’s been back to accept or decline the offer but it’s there. And what else could this exercise of yours be about?

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I did though. Implying a story is objectively bad is implying that everyone who likes it wrong or foolish. An insult. Not a direct one but an insult nonetheless.

but more to the point I said I would apologise to darth if he wants me too, I don’t think he’s been back to accept or decline the offer but it’s there. And what else could this exercise of yours be about?
Dude...what is your problem? Who was talking about them being "objectively bad" in the first place? That's what I'm saying. This is completely random and has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Can please move from the SW/KH discussions. It's clear neither side actually knows nor care on what they are talking about so let's pin it. It's off-topic anyways full on ignorance
Fine. We can do that. Though I wasn't really talking about SW.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Dude...what is your problem?
madness. pure madness

Who was talking about them being "objectively bad" in the first place? That's what I'm saying. This is completely random and has nothing to do with what we're talking about.
I don’t think you understand what the word implied means

and once again I said I would apologise so I’m afraid you are the one dragging this out

Can please move from the SW/KH discussions. It's clear neither side actually knows nor care on what they are talking about so let's pin it. It's off-topic anyways full on ignorance
Hey I’ve seen SW my dislike comes from a place of knowledge. Also I’m not the one who brought it back up after it ended the first time

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Bandai Namco job listings virtually confirmed that they're getting started on a new Smash and we're here talking about Disney... come on guys LOL

Anyway, side-view action game seems pretty clear cut. 3D game though? My bets would be on an Uprising remaster because of their existing relationship with Sakurai (please please please) or Nintendo is handing ARMS over to Namco to spruce up for a sequel. Apparently they did some work on the original, and given their history with fighting games both internally at Nintendo and in general with Tekken and Soul Calibur, it might be a good idea to make them Nintendo's designated fighting game partner. Take all that with a grain of salt though, lol.

For Smash in particular, I'd be surprised if much work has been done on a proper project plan yet, but I'm sure they'd like to get things situated in the inevitable event that they start production for the next console. Wonder what this means for the timeframe that characters are typically decided on...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh no, I understand everything and it would have to take two to be "dragging this out".
hmm I said I would apologise that should have been the end of it. but really at this point it sounds you’re more interested in telling me I’m wrong than getting me to do the right thing

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Tbh, I think it's kinda crazy if that listing for a 2D action game does mean a new Smash in development (or at least the hiring/planning phase, I guess) because I've been saying for ages to friends on Discord that I think the next Smash will be announced in 2025 around the usual E3/Direct time and be released in mid-to-late 2026.

Of course if it ends up not being Smash this post might make me look stupid later, but I guess that's just the trade off I'll have to make lmao

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Warning Issued
You say I'm the one "dragging this out", yet you're still replying to me.

And I was the one who said we can move on...

Bandai Namco job listings virtually confirmed that they're getting started on a new Smash and we're here talking about Disney... come on guys LOL

Anyway, side-view action game seems pretty clear cut. 3D game though? My bets would be on an Uprising remaster because of their existing relationship with Sakurai (please please please) or Nintendo is handing ARMS over to Namco to spruce up for a sequel. Apparently they did some work on the original, and given their history with fighting games both internally at Nintendo and in general with Tekken and Soul Calibur, it might be a good idea to make them Nintendo's designated fighting game partner. Take all that with a grain of salt though, lol.

For Smash in particular, I'd be surprised if much work has been done on a proper project plan yet, but I'm sure they'd like to get things situated in the inevitable event that they start production for the next console. Wonder what this means for the timeframe that characters are typically decided on...
I just wonder if the next Smash game is going to be soon. Maybe, like right after Tekken 8.

But it's good to know they'll finally have a team dedicated to Smash.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Sakurai’s recent statements on his YouTube does make me think that we may get Ultimate+ or something like that. He’s said Time and time again that each game they’ve made a game they didn’t think was possible at the time and literally said something like “we’ll see what the future holds”.

What I mean by Ultimate+ isn’t a port with with a little new stuff. I mean I literally think they’ll try to one-up Ultimate. I’m sure a lot of assets will be reused the same way Ultimate reused For’s but if Ultimate is what we got out of For then I can’t imagine what we would get out of Ultimate for a sequel. Like Sakurai said, “we’ll see” I guess.

God with god, sir.

The story of KH was relevant to the topic that was being discussed(SSE).

In fact if was just weird to assume I think SW has a great story...because of my username? Like, am I supposed to assume you think Garfield or checks username Pokemon, I assume, have great stories?

Now Ender's Game, that's a great story.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Regardless of whether this news is actually related to Smash, it would make sense for development on Smash to be kicking off around now, that is, if they want to release the next game within the first 2 years or so of the next system's launch.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Regardless of whether this news is actually related to Smash, it would make sense for development on Smash to be kicking off around now, that is, if they want to release the next game within the first 2 years or so of the next system's launch.
Especially if the next console is indeed coming next year.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
I have voiced this opinion multiple times, but honestly I really think it might be better for Smash to start coming out later in a system's life than earlier, after seeing how releasing within the first 2 years affected Melee and Ultimate. Heck, they probably could've gotten away with Brawl being a 2009 game since Mario Kart Wii was already a big enough game for 2008.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I have voiced this opinion multiple times, but honestly I really think it might be better for Smash to start coming out later in a system's life than earlier, after seeing how releasing within the first 2 years affected Melee and Ultimate. Heck, they probably could've gotten away with Brawl being a 2009 game since Mario Kart Wii was already a big enough game for 2008.
Right? Its always been weird to me that the Smash game of any given console celebrates the previous console more than the console it was made for.

Ultimate mitigates this a bit with it's DLC sure, but still.

Top Bottom