• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yo, real talk.

Will the Mario RPG remake really help Geno's chances if getting in the next game? Will it finally be his turn 🤔
Well it can’t possibly hurt his chances. Even if it only helps a bit, I’d still say his chances are higher than they were before the remake. Square-Enix does have some other strong contenders so nothing is guaranteed.

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
I feel like the more animal crossing characters get added the less unique Villager will feel and I don't like that.
That being said you could give AC like 3 more characters that are all iconic I guess. Nook, Resetti, K.K. Slider. It'd be the next FE.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I feel like the more animal crossing characters get added the less unique Villager will feel and I don't like that.
That being said you could give AC like 3 more characters that are all iconic I guess. Nook, Resetti, K.K. Slider. It'd be the next FE.
How would it make Villager seem less unique? There's already multiple characters who fight using more unconventional means. The AC characters are literally just as or more distinct than, say, Mario and Luigi are.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I would say we’re fine with Villager and Isabelle but I’m admittedly biased because I’ve never really been a big Animal Crossing fan. I’m open to more AC characters as long as they’re either fun or more echoes that don’t require a ton of resources. I can’t speak as to how any particular character would play never having played the series but both Villager and Isabelle are pretty fun to use on occasion.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yo, real talk.

Will the Mario RPG remake really help Geno's chances if getting in the next game? Will it finally be his turn 🤔
I hope so, but how much will the remake actually help?

I mean, to me; it would help more if it were actually a new game with Geno in it.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I do admittedly think the decision to have Isabelle's moveset appear similar in design to Villager's (even if, mechanically and functionally, they do very different things) may have slightly shot AC in the foot going forward, but I do also think there's a lot of potential for AC characters going forward to have fundamentally unique moveset concepts.

Whilst the criticism of FE typically boils down to many FE characters being echoes or, on a visual and conceptual level, similar - I think AC is unique in that its characters (or at least, the most likely ones) all have pretty distinctive abilities with possibly Isabelle as the main exception. Just at a glance, I can imagine Tom Nook having a lot of money or shop-based theming, K.K. Slider having a prominent musical theming, etc (and even Isabelle could be "decloned" in terms of visual style a little further, if they wanted.)

I don't think AC is actually as limited in its pool of potentially fun and interesting choices as some people make it out to be, though I will admit, I don't really think AC needs more than like, three characters. At that point, I'd maybe want to even consider reworking Villager (given the design process for Villager was originally to represent all kinds of elements of AC in a single character, which is no longer an issue) but otherwise I think it'd be cool and there's a ton of potential there that's otherwise been pretty untapped :)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I can understand the hesitation to stuff Animal Crossing with a bunch of new characters, but I don't think that's necessary. I just think they should add Tom Nook, and then if they do end up playing similarly it'd be no different than Star Fox having three variants off a similar base.

Once you have the player character and both mascots, I think the series is essentially complete after that. I think KK Slider is great in his current position as a fun easter egg on Saturday nights, and Resetti would be great but the series seems to have retired him for now. If either of them were to be playable I think a guitar and a pickaxe as a weapon would make them quite different than anyone else on the roster anyway.

Not every huge series needs a ton of characters though, Animal Crossing is a series that is extremely popular but is somewhat more limited in its capacity to create capable fighter characters. I'll defend Tom Nook absolutely but I'm not clamoring for more after that, I think nonplayable content speaks just as much volume to a series' importance and AC has a lot to offer there.

Will the Mario RPG remake really help Geno's chances if getting in the next game?
I think the answer is yes, even if just a little bit. But I'm kinda burnt out on Geno discussion, I'd be glad to see him personally but he's too controversial of a topic for me to enjoy talking about very much. If he's in he's in but honestly, given Square Enix I don't think we'd see him until DLC comes around anyway. Assuming Nintendo wants to bring back Cloud and Hero on base roster, which I would hope they do.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I hope so, but how much will the remake actually help?

I mean, to me; it would help more if it were actually a new game with Geno in it.
I think a remake on its own might not help a ton but in combination with the fact that Geno was already pretty heavily requested and had at least some Smash appearance in the last two games may end up being pretty significant. If he didn’t already have support, I wouldn’t say it dramatically increases his chances though any new appearance does help. For comparison, Chrono Cross just got a big revamp on the Switch but because no one was really talking much about Serge beforehand or since, I’d say his chances are still pretty low.

To summarize, I believe the main reason Geno might make it in is the fan support. The remake only adds to that as opposed to being the main driver for his inclusion.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think a remake on its own might not help a ton but in combination with the fact that Geno was already pretty heavily requested and had at least some Smash appearance in the last two games may end up being pretty significant. If he didn’t already have support, I wouldn’t say it dramatically increases his chances though any new appearance does help. For comparison, Chrono Cross just got a big revamp on the Switch but because no one was really talking much about Serge beforehand or since, I’d say his chances are still pretty low.

To summarize, I believe the main reason Geno might make it in is the fan support. The remake only adds to that as opposed to being the main driver for his inclusion.
To be honest, I kinda knew all that already, but thanks for explaining.

Still, I think even more fans are going to join in the Geno bandwagon by becoming Geno fans themselves after the remake of Super Mario RPG comes out.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
To be honest, I kinda knew all that already, but thanks for explaining.

Still, I think even more fans are going to join in the Geno bandwagon by becoming Geno fans themselves after the remake of Super Mario RPG comes out.
Yeah that’s also likely. Although complete newcomers could just as easily become Mallow fans if they aren’t really following Smash speculation and want to see him instead. Who knows.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah that’s also likely. Although complete newcomers could just as easily become Mallow fans if they aren’t really following Smash speculation and want to see him instead. Who knows.
Yeah, that can be a problem. Though I think Geno has much more fans, and even Sakurai seemed to have wanted him in at some point, so who knows?

Still, it can be worse; what if neither of them are in the next Smash Bros. as a playable character, but Smithy is?! :troll:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm curious to know where everyone is standing on some of the first party franchises that have seen substantial growth during the Switch era. Namely I feel like Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Pikmin and Xenoblade are some of the series to watch.
Don't really care about new Fighters from any of those franchises. More interested in seeing new franchises represented.

People are really underestimating AC, which is absolutely bonkers given how consistently well it's been doing. This series just did 40mil copies.
Yeah, but...so what? You do the exact same crap in that series in every game. Crap that's pretty well represented by the 2 Fighters they already have.

Like, could they create a 3rd moveset that revolves around...buy furniture or some ****? Sure. Is anyone going to want or find that interesting? Probably not.

No disrespect to Toad
Good. I'll just stop there and assume the rest of that post turned out great.

I mean, it'll definitely HELP. The question is if it will be ENOUGH.

Well it can’t possibly hurt his chances. Even if it only helps a bit, I’d still say his chances are higher than they were before the remake.
I wouldn't be surprised if Smash is the reason the remake is even happening.

Sakurai: "I want to put Geno in Smash."
Nintendo: "I'm sorry, but it's just not worth adding such a forgotten 3rd party character. He's just not relevant these days."
Sakurai: "...........then remake it."

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Don't really care about new Fighters from any of those franchises. More interested in seeing new franchises represented.
I'm more "interested" in new franchises too, but when discussing prospects for the next game I think it's fair to point out which series have been important over the last few years, shown a fair amount of growth and offered new material to work with that could be fresh in Sakurai / Nintendo's mind when it comes time to narrow it down. We've seen that throughout pretty much the entire series and even if it's not the most exciting thing in the world, I doubt it will stop now.

There's a lot of great potential within those four franchises but I didn't really bring it up to ask if people wanted them to be in, just to acknowledge these are some of the big boys on campus lately and if we see them expand on first party IPs (which they will) these will be some of the first to get looked at after Mario and Pokemon. It's better to familiarize yourself with that now than be dumbfounded that they aren't all 30 year old characters later.

And honestly, as far as BRAND new modern era Nintendo IPs go, Splatoon and ARMS are already covered and from there Ring Fit seems like the only other obvious one from the last / current gen. Nintendo hasn't been pumping out new hits as much as they have been expanding on what they've already got lately.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I straight up believe Tom Nook is the most important Nintendo character missing from the roster right now, averaging out both general recognition and his significance within his own (hugely popular) series. By many people's metrics, Isabelle wasn't necessary either because Villager already represented the fundamental ideas behind Animal Crossing so well. For what it's worth, I was arguing that Isabelle would be her own unique character from day one. Isabelle and Tom Nook are pretty much of equal standing post New Horizons, sharing the spotlight as the face of the series and I suspect it will continue this way.

Personally I think giving Tom Nook a bit more of a "boujee" edge, that rich guy from a country club attitude, where he can use more luxurious vacation items and swing around bags full of bells on top of essentially pulling some ideas from Tanooki Mario is more than enough basis to work with. At its worst, which isn't even a bad thing, I feel like the AC characters can parallel the way the Star Fox gang is differentiated.
There are certainly others in the conversation for the most important missing character, but yeah Tom Nook is definitely in that upper echelon. Whether you rank him first, second, third, whatever, he should be in by now.
Some people thought he had become hopelessly outclassed by Isabelle, but he's holding his own in marketing, promotional material, and popularity quite well.

Yeah, I don't think a triple-up on the Villager moveset is the way to go. A lot of that talk I think spawns from the fan mentality of trying to just put in characters with the most minimal effort possible in hopes that we can get more of them, but that's not how development does or should work. Tom Nook is worth more than a last-minute clone kind of addition.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
And honestly, as far as BRAND new modern era Nintendo IPs go, Splatoon and ARMS are already covered and from there Ring Fit seems like the only other obvious one from the last / current gen. Nintendo hasn't been pumping out new hits as much as they have been expanding on what they've already got lately.
There's Astral Chain as well, which Nintendo now has full ownership of since January 2021. We don't know the details of why it got changed from co-ownership with Platinum, but it's officially fully owned by Nintendo now.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I'd like to see a mix of characters from new and existing franchises. Ult was definitely lacking when it came to new first party series, and I'd like to see that rectified in the next game, but there are also very many characters from existing franchises who seem overdue as well.

Yeah, but...so what?
Series that are highly successful naturally get more invested into them. They've proven they are an asset to Nintendo and lots of people know and love their characters. I don't think it's a bad thing to give multiple characters to consistently well-performing franchises. I mean, giving smaller series a chance to be represented and make the roster more diverse is also a priority, but I believe Smash is at its best with a good balance of both.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Series that are highly successful naturally get more invested into them. They've proven they are an asset to Nintendo and lots of people know and love their characters. I don't think it's a bad thing to give multiple characters to consistently well-performing franchises. I mean, giving smaller series a chance to be represented and make the roster more diverse is also a priority, but I believe Smash is at its best with a good balance of both.
Take a look at how many new Fire Emblem characters were added to Smash 4 and Ultimate, and compare that to how many new Zelda and Kirby characters were added in those games. Just because a franchise has a new successful game or two doesn't mean it should definitely get a new character added, when the series is potentially already well represented.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
As for the other AC characters, I'd love to see Resetti and Slider eventually.

I mean, practically speaking, it probably makes sense for the fans to focus on rallying behind Nook, and if more AC reps after that becomes a DLC or Smash 7 kind of thing, then so be it. Though I wouldn't rule out something like, say, Resetti making it in to fill a joke/surprise character spot.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Take a look at how many new Fire Emblem characters were added to Smash 4 and Ultimate, and compare that to how many new Zelda and Kirby characters were added in those games. Just because a franchise has a new successful game or two doesn't mean it should definitely get a new character added, when the series is potentially already well represented.
Kirby aside, since it could be due to one of Sakurai's personal hangups, I...really don't think this is as big of a counterpoint as you think. Zelda's biggest drawback seems to be following the Same Three Guys and then a rotation of side characters, and for whatever reason said side characters don't end up making the cut. I'll always maintain that we should have absolutely gotten Ghirahim back in 4, but that ship has sailed. Compare this to series like Mario which keep a mostly static cast but just has a lot of characters, or Fire Emblem and Xenoblade which have entirely new casts each time.

Splatoon and Animal Crossing, meanwhile, each have multiple very important and recurring characters that can, and honestly should, be added. You could fairly easily make unique movesets for Tom Nook, KK Slider, and Blathers (Resetti too, but Nintendo seems to be keeping him purely in the background now after he scarred those European toddlers or something), and all are prominent and important characters. Likewise, Splatoon has tons of options in the Octolings, DJ Octavio, Mr. Grizz, or any of the now-seven idols.

Splatoon and Animal Crossing are big enough where they can warrant having incredibly expensive sections of the roster, but the issue is they're caught playing catch-up due to Splatoon releasing post-Smash 4 and Animal Crossing getting snubbed from Brawl.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
That's because Zelda and Kirby have their most essential cast / trios represented, and Animal Crossing does not. I think both of those series could use way more than just their essentials but, outside of arguably Bandana Dee, they don't have anyone left in their own series as synonymous as Tom Nook is for Animal Crossing. And Bandana Dee is just his own can of worms altogether... I put him in the aforementioned Toad category.

I do think we should get Skull Kid or Midna next game but that's another conversation. Tom Nook is much "safer" in my eyes.

Also Opossum just said pretty much exactly what I wanted to say so just read his post for a more in depth explanation, lmao.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I mean if we're talking about what should happen, then it's hard to argue against Zelda getting more characters, and Kirby could use some more representation as well. In particular I think revamping the Zelda roster should be a priority next time. They're not the only series that could use more, though.
With AC in particular, the recent success is pretty overwhelming. Zelda's recent success is also pretty overwhelming. I expect new characters from both in some form, honestly.

On Fire Emblem, it has five completely unique fighters (not counting Roy here), which I think is reasonable; after that it depends on your stance on clones. Most likely, not every existing FE character will make it onto the next roster, though I don't expect a massive shakeup with FE outside of a few of its characters probably ending up low-priority and potentially getting a newcomer.

Regardless, nothing that's happened so far has completely blown up the concept of bigger series being more likely to get more reps, outside of very particular circumstances that throw things off.
Like for example, as was said above, AC and Splatoon have less right now because they joined later. Though honestly that just makes them pretty obvious candidates for roster expansion next time. Splatoon is of course a newer series than AC with only three mainline games, which may make the lack of multiple reps to this point a bit less egregious, but again both AC and Splatoon are due for something new in Smash 6.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Yo, real talk.

I'm not sure exactly how much it helps, but it's definitely good for him. I'd say the big thing to look at is if Geno can start sneaking his way into spin-offs. If he gets in Mario Kart 10 and stuff like that, then yeah he's like inevitably going to snowball his way into Smash lol. If not, it's still plausible but I wouldn't write him in as a lock or anything either.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Would you guys crucify me if I said Isabelle should’ve taken Villager’s place in Sm4sh?
I don't agree, but I do think that Isabelle is a more essential part of the roster than Villager. I think there's plenty of room for them both though.

Honestly i just think it'd be kinda redundant to include another Animal crossing character on the roster when i feel like you have already done a perfect job with Villager and Isabelle.
Plenty of series are quite redundant to add onto right now. Ultimately though, in Smash we're asking for characters first. Tom Nook is not just an important element of Animal Crossing, he is also just a beloved character from a series that many people like. We as the Smash community tend to underestimate the casual audience of friends who will pick cute silly characters on the roster from the games they've played - the novelty of Tom Nook being on the roster is one that will resonate with more people than ever after the success of New Horizons.

I feel like Animal Crossing is unfairly held to this standard of what it "needs" and what elements are necessary to represent. If we extended that judgement to every series on the roster, we'd be a lot more content with Mario, Zelda and Kirby I think - needless to say, we're not. Because we love the characters individually more than we do the idea of simply representing the necessary elements of the series. I think anyone saying this about AC simply doesn't have much attachment to the games and needs to step outside of themselves a bit.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I feel like Animal Crossing is unfairly held to this standard of what it "needs" and what elements are necessary to represent. If we extended that judgement to every series on the roster, we'd be a lot more content with Mario, Zelda and Kirby I think - needless to say, we're not. Because we love the characters individually more than we do the idea of simply representing the necessary elements of the series. I think anyone saying this about AC simply doesn't have much attachment to the games and needs to step outside of themselves a bit.
Not exactly a fair thing, i consider myself a pretty dedicated Animal crossing fan, i spent countless hours on these games (Except new horizons mind you but there were other games catching my attention at the time)

I just feel like in general most of the series representation is more and more of the same.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Not exactly a fair thing, i consider myself a pretty dedicated Animal crossing fan, i spent countless hours on these games (Except new horizons mind you but there were other games catching my attention at the time)

I just feel like in general most of the series representation is more and more of the same.
Fair enough then, sorry for making that assumption. I do believe it applies to many fans though, those who are more inclined toward action oriented characters or may be somewhat stuck in the past and having trouble accepting Animal Crossing as one of Nintendo's biggest success stories as of late.

The idea of Animal Crossing being on the same level as say, Zelda is a lot for some people to digest and I think the community has a tendency to continue to hold series in the same standing as they were when they were first exposed to them. Hence why a lot of older fans likely can't say much about Splatoon either, and why we bring up the same 25 year old characters every game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I disagree when it comes to some of the remaining options.

To stick to Tom Nook for a minute, there's already precedent for how he could work in a platform fighter, and that's by being this game's version of Business Casual Man from Slap City. He'd basically have a bell meter, and by landing certain attacks he'd get more money, while his stronger kill options would have him spend that money. This would also set him completely apart from Villager and Isabelle by necessitating a more aggressive, combo-heavy playstyle in order to accrue bells. And to go further, you could spend those bells on permanent upgrades to your moveset, making him a character that thrives off of rhythmic momentum to give himself a way to stay ahead.

He doesn't have to stick to the mold established by Villager and Isabelle.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
On Fire Emblem. People argue that the series is over represented and I disagree. Fire Emblem is a series with SEVENTEEN mainline games that has consistently released them since the Famicom/NES days. I feel its representation in Smash is well deserved, and I support the inclusion of Alear in the next game, specially if we do get cuts since we'll likely get newcomers to fill the voids of lost veterans of the same series.

On Zelda. I 100% agree the series could use one more character that isn't a variant of Link/Zelda/Ganondorf. The problem with the series is that every game reuses the same Hero/Heroine/Villain trio with all the other potential newcomers being sidekicks and NPCs. I would love it if we could get some form of Midna or Impa.

On Kirby. I feel a reason we haven't gotten any newcomers since Brawl could be conflict of interest. We all know Sakurai is also the creator of Kirby, and it's hard for him not to have favoritism for his little baby even when he doesn't add new characters (like when he made Kirby the starting character in World of Light in Ultimate). I do remember people criticizing the fact he added two Kirby newcomers in Brawl (anyone remember that review that said "Three Kirby characters" as a negative bullet point?) so he's probably trying to avoid another similar situation.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Would you guys crucify me if I said Isabelle should’ve taken Villager’s place in Sm4sh?
Crucify is way too strong but...isn't Villager the character you always play in Animal Crossing? I don't think it makes sense to have another character in his/her place.

I don't agree, but I do think that Isabelle is a more essential part of the roster than Villager. I think there's plenty of room for them both though.
Why do you think Isabelle is a more essential part of the roster than Villager?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly I'd be completely fine with newer franchises getting more fighters if a few of the older series got some of those last single characters to round them out; Impa for LoZ, BWD for Kirby, Dixie for DK.

Granted one person's rounding out is another ones' unfinished roster potential but even still the likes of Zelda, Kirby, & Donkey Kong having one new character between them in the last 10 years of Smash just feels unfortunate.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Why do you think Isabelle is a more essential part of the roster than Villager?
Well it boils down to what you value more. Personally, I feel more satisfied having more of a defined character in Smash. Isabelle is effectively the series mascot and she is a personality that players latched onto. We like and have developed a connection with Isabelle because of her character.

Villager is, by design, a blank slate to represent elements of the series and I just personally put more importance on the character with actual character. Push comes to shove I just get more out of Isabelle, and I think the essence of Smash is playing as those characters that you have that personal attachment to.

I will say though, I quite like Villager and it was a more novel idea before we got a bunch of other avatar-type characters later. Some work better for me than others, I just appreciate if we can achieve the same thing with a more dynamic personality.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
On Fire Emblem. People argue that the series is over represented and I disagree. Fire Emblem is a series with SEVENTEEN mainline games that has consistently released them since the Famicom/NES days. I feel its representation in Smash is well deserved, and I support the inclusion of Alear in the next game, specially if we do get cuts since we'll likely get newcomers to fill the voids of lost veterans of the same series.

On Zelda. I 100% agree the series could use one more character that isn't a variant of Link/Zelda/Ganondorf. The problem with the series is that every game reuses the same Hero/Heroine/Villain trio with all the other potential newcomers being sidekicks and NPCs. I would love it if we could get some form of Midna or Impa.

On Kirby. I feel a reason we haven't gotten any newcomers since Brawl could be conflict of interest. We all know Sakurai is also the creator of Kirby, and it's hard for him not to have favoritism for his little baby even when he doesn't add new characters (like when he made Kirby the starting character in World of Light in Ultimate). I do remember people criticizing the fact he added two Kirby newcomers in Brawl (anyone remember that review that said "Three Kirby characters" as a negative bullet point?) so he's probably trying to avoid another similar situation.
I don’t have any issues with the amount of Fire Emblem characters in Smash. I think people often overlook the fact that half the characters are variants of some kind, thus taking up a lot fewer resources than a unique newcomer. Ideally (in my opinion), we’d have a few more varied movesets using different weapons but it’s totally understandable that they chose this approach to save development time for other characters.

Zelda could definitely use a few more characters. It’s crazy to me that we haven’t had a completely unique character since Melee and even then, Ganondorf was just a clone of Captain Falcon. Kind of a missed opportunity for such a major Nintendo character in my view. The biggest issue is selecting exactly which characters are chosen as newcomers. Hyrule Warriors and Age of Calamity provided fun movesets for tons of characters. Rauru from Tears of the Kingdom could be a cool way to represent the abilities from that game.

For Kirby, I feel like it’s about time for another character as well. Bandana Dee makes the most sense as the fourth recurring playable character in the series. My personal dream Kirby pick is Bugzzy as a Pirahna Plant like surprise character. I’ve always really liked that enemy and my favorite to play as.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Fire emblem is also a series with hundreds of characters to chose from, it would honesty be unfair to only have a rep from one or two games.

(On that note Awakening is overrepresented and i wish they would remove one of them come next smash, preferably Lucina.)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Most series that are not always swapping out protagonists can grow more organically and FE practically has to start from scratch every time. It has really shot them in the foot in the context of roster variety.

Personally I feel like it would be nice to have more supplementary Fire Emblem characters, part of why the lineup feels boring is that "main character syndrome". Many of them feel flat or similar in general personality or appearance because they fulfill a similar role in their game. Then you look toward Fire Emblem's AT lineup, where you have series mainstay Tiki and Ike's rival in the Black Knight, and that feels like a far more exciting and diverse group of characters to me. I think the true rut FE has gotten itself into is pigeonholing itself into that one exclusive type of character.

On the flipside, I think Xenoblade was able to avoid this issue before it even started. Sure, Rex and Pyra are effectively both the protagonists. But Shulk and Pyra / Mythra fulfill such different roles in their story, they already feel like uniquely selected characters from their respective games over simply piling on the main guy and then moving onto the next one.

Does that make sense? I dunno. Maybe in a world where we got Azura over Corrin we'd be having a different kind of conversation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom