• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I don't know a ton about Toaplan but like...

...Imagine if there were only two Pokémon in the next Smash, and they were Pikachu (because duh), and...Magnemite. And the reason Magnemite was chosen was because of an internet meme...an internet meme that was exclusive to Japan.

Insisting Toaplan's representation should come in the form of Zero Wing Specifically feels much the same, but on an even more extreme scale.
I see where you're coming from, and I don't think we'll get Zero Wing or Toaplan content generally due in part to what I'm just assuming is one-sided notoriety, but I think a big difference is that there are plenty of better qualified options in Pokemon than Magnemite. It may be due to a meme, but I don't think Toaplan has any character near as recognizable as CATS, or a game as well known as Zero Wing, at least in most of the world.

In Japan they probably have more well known games, but by the nature of their primary genre, I doubt they have any other noteworthy characters.

Of course this is actually pursuing the question of what Toaplan content would we get. Which is a question I don't think anyone who is actually involved in choosing the content has ever asked. Because without All Your Base, honestly... why would they?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I see where you're coming from, and I don't think we'll get Zero Wing or Toaplan content generally due in part to what I'm just assuming is one-sided notoriety, but I think a big difference is that there are plenty of better qualified options in Pokemon than Magnemite. It may be due to a meme, but I don't think Toaplan has any character near as recognizable as CATS, or a game as well known as Zero Wing, at least in most of the world.

In Japan they probably have more well known games, but by the nature of their primary genre, I doubt they have any other noteworthy characters.

Of course this is actually pursuing the question of what Toaplan content would we get. Which is a question I don't think anyone who is actually involved in choosing the content has ever asked. Because without All Your Base, honestly... why would they?
Yeah that's the thing, they generally wouldn't conduct themselves super well to playable representation to begin with. I don't think we need a character from them, I just think that Zero Wing would be kind of a weird choice to represent them in any form, and it's not All Your Base that's going to change whether or not they get content

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Eh, not really no. I think if some representation did happen it'd be deserved, seeing as they're major pioneers of the shoot em up genre, but we're not getting anything major from them anytime soon. I was very much just arguing in terms of the hypothetical unlikely scenario in that it did happen
Sure, as am I. I mean, getting Zero Wing content would probably go over most heads even in the west.

And they made some good games in the genre, but games like Defender and Xevious (which already has content in Smash) did predate them and were even more seminal, while series like Gradius and R-Type are much better known. I imagine we'd get something from one of them, first.

Does this mean that GTA could have become a Nintendo exclusive if not for Pixar (let's be honest, mostly Lasseter) thinking they're hot shots for creating a living unicycle?
Pixar is only involved in Uniracers, not the other stuff.

And I guess there's a timeline wherein that happened, but there's just so many ifs that that outcome can't be anything other than highly speculative.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I know I've written about this before, but I hope they make the decision to finally put a Gyromite based stage for R.O.B..
Every time I look at 75m and then remember that one time I watched a bit of Gyromite gameplay, and I can't help but wonder... couldn't the Smash Bros. dev team have just reskinned 75m into a Gyromite stage...?

List of video game characters that are by Nintendo but never released in Japan:

Tin Star (Tin Star)
Unicycle (Uniracers)
John Raimi (Geist)
Queen Azarel (Warlocked)
Chief Zog (Warlocked)
Mike Jones (StarTropics series)
Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe)

I mention them because in no game of the Super Smash Bros. series have they been shown either as fighters or as trophies (including assist trophies) or as stickers or as spirits. They may never have released their games in Japan but they are still of Nintendo.
For as much as I would LOVE for these series to get (AT LEAST) Trophies/Spirits, Sakurai himself seems to have made it clear that Western stuff (in that sense) supposedly won't be getting added to Smash in any capacity anytime soon. I'd like to be proven wrong, but he mentioned (during Melee's release) that no Western-made Nintendo content would be getting added, killing my hopes for StarTropics or Gumshoe...

By the way, if I remember correctly... Geist is still owned by Nintendo, right?

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
Zero wing has made it into Nintendo console finally
in other words CATS from zero wing first appearance on Nintendo console now make him possible smash candidate lol
also more official artwork of him
This isn't even really accurate, Zero Wing was added to the NSO genesis lineup over a year ago

But I would be absolutely gobsmacked if Nintendo has a checklist of "this character had a port so now they're eligible"

If they decide that heavy tf2 would be a good get, a lack of appearances isn't going to stop them talking to Valve

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
A day ago I challenged myself to form a lineup of exactly 100 unique fighters. The only caveat I made myself obey were that I could only have a maximum of six straight clone characters (same number as Melee). Otherwise, I gave myself no restrictions for the other 94 choices, meaning I was free to include whoever I wanted and reimagine/update returning choices as I pleased. This is what I came up with in a subpar collage.

Wanted to do this as a decent distraction for the thread. Feel free to give your thoughts and opinions, hopefully I can ignite some fresher discussion with this whole "100 fighters" thing.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think shoot-em-ups would make good assist trophies.
Unless your opponent(s) has a reflector, those summons are always in high tier or top tier for Assist Trophies like Pong or Sheriff.

I’ve never seen someone manage to KO Sheriff to this day.:mybodyisreggie:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Lets say for whatever reason theres only adult link in the next game!
How do we rep Young/Toon/Toy Link?
They are an important part of the link legacy!
I think in this edge case they could give adult link the awekening set and wind set both with huge headmasks!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Lets say for whatever reason theres only adult link in the next game!
How do we rep Young/Toon/Toy Link?
They are an important part of the link legacy!
I think in this edge case they could give adult link the awekening set and wind set both with huge headmasks!
I think keeping the Wind Waker and other Toon Link game stages would be a good way. Maybe even throw in a new Outset Island stage with Toon Link in the background or the same for a Link to the Past stage with toy Link.

We could also get a Tetra assist trophy or someone else from those games like the King of Red Lions. I think assist trophies are another great way to represent a series without having a playable character. We could also just get a completely original playable character from those games if we cut Link himself and still represent that part of the series. Vaati, Tetra, and the King of Red Lions could all make for fun characters.

Finally, they could give Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf alternate outfits inspired from their appearances in those games. Maybe even with the cel shading as well. I’m personally hoping that they give the Zelda cast actual alt models based on their appearance in each game throughout the series. That way, players can still play as their favorite version of each character. Since they’d just be alt outfits and need to keep the same skeleton and moves, that would mean we would have adult versions of Toon Link and Zelda but that would be interesting to see.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Incidentally, I would've loved to see Tetra playable instead of Toon Link, if time constrains weren't an issue.
Yeah, I think she probably would have had a more interesting moveset judging by playing as her in Hyrule Warriors. The King of Red Lions also had a fun moveset in that game and could be another interesting option.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So uh...

How does this affect Bayonetta?

I don't think it means much tbh.

Kamiya had an important influence on the franchise but he was only involved as supervising director and one of the writers in Bayonetta 3. Bayonetta is too big for Platinum Games to just drop but maybe we'll see a different direction in the next game... which 3's ending already implied.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Also... HIM/IT:
1695647811356.jpeg

I want to ask you guys:
1. How are the reffrences/ Colour Variety?
2. The two octorok designs i picked are the best for smash?
-Yes
-Definitivly
-Absolutly
So for everyone who doesnt want to guess here are all the reffrences:
1695648079452.png

1695648105367.png

1695648136348.png

1695648181411.png

1695648061915.png

1695648229021.png

7. Gameboy Grey scale Octorok
1695648350113.png

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Also... HIM/IT:
View attachment 378295
I want to ask you guys:
-Yes
-Definitivly
-Absolutly

I like the idea of adding more playable basic enemies. An octorok could be a fun and unexpected choice like Plant before it.

Oracle Link

Smash Master

I like the idea of adding more playable basic enemies. An octorok could be a fun and unexpected choice like Plant before it.
Yeah an octorok also avoids the Main issues plant had like
1 being from an overepped franchise!
and 2 being not one of the most beloved enemys!
(Also am i the only one confused that the octoroks are like the one design that changed in links awekening remake?)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah an octorok also avoids the Main issues plant had like
1 being from an overepped franchise!
and 2 being not one of the most beloved enemys!
(Also am i the only one confused that the octoroks are like the one design that changed in links awekening remake?)
Zelda’s got a ton of cool enemy designs like Mario. I think a Bokoblin, Lizalfos, Stalfos, Redead, Guardian, or Lionel would all make for fun characters as well.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So uh...

How does this affect Bayonetta?

Bayo is still very safe as far as third parties go. Kojima, Inafune, and Iragashi's departures in the early to mid-2010s didn't affect Snake, Mega Man, or the Belmonts from getting into Ultimate. The third-party IPs in Smash are bigger than any one creative and their corporate owners will not stop producing something for these series as long as there is some market demand, even if that just means rereleases, gacha games, and merch.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
They still haven't brought Takamaru as a newcomer to the Super Smash Bros series until now, but he did make an appearance in Samurai Warriors 3 (Wii version) and in fact there was the Murasame Castle mode which is based on Nazo no Murasame Jō ( The Mysterious Murasame Castle), in Takamaru's game as you know. in the Super Smash Bros series they put him as an Assist Trophy, but it's about time he came as a newcomer because I think he deserves it.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Also... HIM/IT:
View attachment 378295
I want to ask you guys:
-Yes
-Definitivly
-Absolutly
Personally, the actual design I'd go for with an Octorok would be sort of a fusion between the proportions of BotW's and the general look of LA's because that'd lend well to the legs actually being able to be used for like, close-range attacks and stuff beyond just the whole shooting attacks they can do.

That said, I do sort of feel Piranha Plant only really works if it's a one-time thing. Like, as a showcase of "look what wacky things can happen" it works pretty well but just imagine the hellhole this site would become if it was eventually determined that the first new Zelda character in technically over 20 years was an Octorok, or worse yet, if it was arbitrarily decided that like a Boo was also picked over Waluigi (even if neither of those assessments would technically be accurate). I like the idea of unusual reps but if it's just for the sake of it then it runs the risk of getting old fast

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Personally, the actual design I'd go for with an Octorok would be sort of a fusion between the proportions of BotW's and the general look of LA's because that'd lend well to the legs actually being able to be used for like, close-range attacks and stuff beyond just the whole shooting attacks they can do.

That said, I do sort of feel Piranha Plant only really works if it's a one-time thing. Like, as a showcase of "look what wacky things can happen" it works pretty well but just imagine the hellhole this site would become if it was eventually determined that the first new Zelda character in technically over 20 years was an Octorok, or worse yet, if it was arbitrarily decided that like a Boo was also picked over Waluigi (even if neither of those assessments would technically be accurate)
Actually i think longer tentacles+ La Cuteness would be in general the perfect look for octoroks in 3d!
I never liked how ugly they are in 3d zeldas! BTW the 3rd alt is based on the botw Forest octorok!

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
After reading this talk about mooks, I came up with a Salmonid concept that I think could be pretty fun in the shower. I've also been playing too much Salmon Run lately....I see Flyfish and Stingers when I close my eyes. Shudder

On top of wielding a frying pan for many of its normals I could imagine one also referencing boss salmonids for its other attacks.

Up Special - Drizzler. The salmonid pulls out a drizzer's umbrella and leaps into the air, protecting it from above.
Neutral Special - Small Fry. The salmonid throws a small fry which latches onto an opponent like a pikmin. The opponent will take damage and have their movement speed either until they deal enough damage to the small fry, or until a certain amount of time passes.
Side Special - Scrapper. The salmonid will charge forward in a scrapper's assault vehicle, being immune to all damage from the front. However the attack has a lot of endlag, giving the opponent an opportunity to attack from behind if it misses. The salmonid will also become briefly stunned if the vehicle absorbs enough frontal damage.
Down Special - Maws. A Maws will appear and swim forward for as long as the special button is held. When the button is released, the Maws will burst out of the ground for a powerful attack that ignores shields. Think like Shadow Sneak, but more powerful and the Salmonid itself stays in place.

Up Smash could have an explosion appear over its head from a miniature version of a Steelhead's bomb, and Down Smash could have it splash into the ground like a Flip Flopper. And I guess for F-Smash it can smack its opponent with a large pot lid, in reference to Slammin Lid? Idk that's about where I run out of unique ideas.

Final Smash - Xtra Wave - Horroborus appears and drops a bomb next to the Salmonid, which erupts into a massive explosion. Although it's telegraphed and the radius expands slowly, the Salmonid can move during the explosion.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
On the topic of mooks as fighters, here's a moveset I made for a Yiga Footsoldier as an Echo Fighter of Sheik:
Intro: Yiga appears from thin air and commences their intro animation from Breath of the Wild.

Stance/Idle 1: Yiga takes a pose loosely resembling Sheik’s, but with the Vicious Sickle in their right hand put close to their head facing upwards.
Idle 2: Yiga performs a modified passé.
Idle 3: Yiga twirls their Vicious Sickle.

Notable Palette Swaps
  1. Yiga Footsoldier (default)
  2. Sheik, Ocarina of Time (blue)
  3. Impa, Hyrule Warriors (cyan)
  4. Yellow Dye
  5. Gray Dye
  6. Purple Dye
  7. Green Dye
  8. Peach Dye
Walk: Sheik’s walk
Dash: Sheik’s dash
Damage: Their damage animation from Breath of the Wild.
Jump: Their jump from Breath of the Wild.
Crouch: Their proper battle stance from Breath of the Wild.

Normal Attacks
Jab: An inward knifehand strike, followed by an upward knifehand strike (4%, small knockback). Yiga then performs a barrage of knifehand strikes (1% each), ending with a palm thrust (2%, small knockback).
Forward+A: A roundhouse kick (3%, small knockback)
Up+A: A stretch kick (3%, small knockback) followed by an axe kick (4%, small knockback)
Down+A: A legsweep (4%, small knockback)
Dash Attack: Yiga lunges to perform an outward fanning knifehand strike with their Vicious Sickle (7%, small knockback)
Edge Attack: A corkscrew dropkick (9%, small knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Yiga squats on one leg and performs a roundhouse kick (5%, small knockback)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: A flying kick (6%, small knockback)
Air Forward+A: A lunging, downward arcing sknifehand strike (5%, small knockback)
Air Back + A: A side kick (9%, OK knockback)
Air Up+A: An upward corkscrew flying kick (3%) followed by a thrust kick with the opposite leg (4%, small knockback)
Air Down+A: Down Thrust; Yiga dives straight down and attacks with the Vicious Sickle (12% with a meteor effect, OK knockback)

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: A roundhouse kick (7%, small knockback) followed by a jumping spinning sidekick (7%, small knockback)
Up+A: Yiga spins inwards while facing the screen, performing an uppercut with their Vicious Sickle (13%, OK knockback)
Down+A: Yiga sweeps the floor with their Vicious Sickle (13%, OK knockback)

Grab Game
Grab: Yiga grabs the opponent with their open hand.
Pummel: A knee strike (1%)
Forwards+Throw: Yiga performs the tie shan kao (7%, small knockback)
Back+Throw: Yiga throws the opponent behind themselves and performs a mid-level sidekick (7%, small knockback)
Up+Throw: Yiga heaves the opponent up and then performs a handstand kick (3%, small knockback)
Down+Throw: A collar drag takedown followed by a somersault axe kick (3%, small knockback)

Special Moves
B : Duplex Bow
; Yiga fires an arrow that briefly paralyzes opponents upon contact (8%, small knockback). Unlike Link’s Bow & Arrow, this fires two arrows from the start.
B + ← → : Banana Grenade; Yiga throws an explosive Mighty Banana attached to a tripwire (14%, OK knockback). This explodes faster than Sheik’s Burst Grenade but lacks the vortex effect.
B + ↑ : Vanish; Yiga vanishes immediately and then bounces upward upon reappearing. Unlike Sheik’s, you don’t go into free fall after using it, but you can’t use it twice in a row.
B + ↓ : Bouncing Fish; Yiga leaps forward with an arced kick that rebounds then upon contact (12%, OK knockback)

Final Smash: Flurry Rush; Yiga dashes forward and slashes a single opponent with their Vicious Sickle. If it connects, the Yiga Clan symbol appears and the screen darkens as Yiga assaults the opponent with a flurry of slashes (53%, devastating knockback).

Gimmick: Echo Fighter of Sheik...though, saying that, here are changes I'd make to Sheik herself to differentiate the two:
  • Down Smash and Up Smash are swapped. This is more of a me thing, but the animations of the up and down Smash attacks make me feel like they're assigned to the wrong directions, hence why I'm changing them here.
  • Final Smash is now Goddess Harp. Sheik plays her song and weaponizes six of the elements of the Seven Sages in the following order
    • Nocturne of Shadow pulls in opponents with a black hole
    • Bolero of Fire attacks with an explosion
    • Serenade of Water attacks with rain
    • Requiem of Spirit raises sand and stone from the ground
    • Minuet of Forest attacks with a tornado of leaves
    • Prelude of Light finishes with a pillar of light
Taunts
Up: Yiga performs a pike.
Side: Yiga performs a taunt while summoning a glowing red ring of nine Hylian letters.
Down: Yiga crouches down and sniffs a Mighty Banana.

Winposes
1: A bunch of Mighty Bananas appears, only for it to turn out to be Yiga in disguise.
2: A glowing red ring of nine Hylian letters appears on the ground, from which Yiga pops up and strikes a pose.
3: Yiga spins their Vicious Sickle and strikes a pose resembling their battle pose.

Applause: Yiga curls their open hand into a fist and shakes it angrily.
Icon: Triforce
Boxing Ring Title: For the Bananas!
Star K.O.: https://youtu.be/Wh6iQXAii5s?t=141s
Victory Music: Victory! Breath of the Wild
Kirby Hat: The Yiga Clan mask

Top Bottom