• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This is partially a joke, but Sonic's representation in smash feel borderline passive aggresive.

Remember Sonic disrupted the development of smash a little bit one of the few smash characters that werent in the planned roster of newcomers initially. And since then his representation in comparison to other third parties feels extremely lack luster.
That's incorrect; Sonic was meant to be in Brawl. The entire roster was intended from the start. Sonic just wasn't able to be gotten right away, and then suddenly saying yes did disrupt how development went. The only characters who didn't get in were the Forbidden 7, and we know nothing about anyone besides Dixie Kong not working out due to the team mechanics not panning out. Sonic may or may not have mattered for that, as some were clones(Toon Zelda, Toon Shiek, as well as Dr. Mario and Roy who were meant to return), and we are still left in the dark of who Pra_Mai was, with only Mewtwo having any major work done. The easier clones not getting in may have just been a development "we only have so much time" regardless. And regardless, Dixie Kong was dead in the water while the other 6 had a potential to pan out if Sonic ultimately wasn't available to come in(if he was there from the start, that could've also possibly saved the other 6).

If you meant it prevented 6 out of the Forbidden 7, then never mind. However, you still have the details off as he was planned from the start. Basically, all 35 characters plus the Forbidden 7 were all intended, so a total of 42. 6 have an unknown reason for not making it in, and Dixie's intended appearance was cut short with no possible relation to Sonic from any data. Though I guess her being on her own was possible, but considering she's still not here, I wouldn't put much into the idea she'd be solo right in Brawl. It really sucks she's not playable yet, that said.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Okay, but actual serious controversial question:

Is Hatsune Miku eligible for Smash Bros.?
I think she is in the grey area with wreck it Ralph and Clippy
But if R.O.B. Is eligible then I don’t see why she wouldn’t be especially when you can represent rhythm rep with her
Let’s not forget Vince is assist trophy and miiverse and pictochat stages were presented

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Also,

do we think MP4 has any chance to appear at this Direct, or is it going to once again be a no-show?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I think she is in the grey area with wreck it Ralph and Clippy
But if R.O.B. Is eligible then I don’t see why she wouldn’t be especially when you can represent rhythm rep with her
Let’s not forget Vince is assist trophy and miiverse and pictochat stages were presented
I don't know if there's a comparable character to Miku. Debut "game" being a voice synthesis program, but said program being used as the basis for a virtual idol (and universe of virtual idols) and rhythm game which has become popular in its own right. It's like if Clippy went on to be the basis for a game that trains you to type without making mistakes or something.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
They already know all they have to do is put the number 4 on the screen and say the game exists

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Phantasy Star? That would be a cool sleeper pic.
I guess they'll rep the classic series rather than the MMO.

Also, How guys are you feeling about the next SE rep?
Tifa? Geno? 2B? Tressa? Neku?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Compile: We should reskin this game because it looks too cutesy for Americans

Also Compile: Hey American kids, wanna play this new Kirby game?
That was an amusing trend around that time.

"We can't have these little girly princess titles for our male Western fans."

reskins Puyo Puyo and Panel de Pon as Kirby and Yoshi spin-offs respectively with all cute characters from both

"There we go, now these are men's games."
This just reminds me of that one DYKG talking about Nintendo of America trying to do different designs for the Pokemon when they were first trying to bring Pokemon to the West and tried to appeal to the West and how their version of Pikachu had a set of badonkers. Unless that was not correct.
From the classic games you have Alis as the "Marth" so to speak, plus Nei as a major fan favorite whose presence and influence is still felt in later games. You could also add Rika, who's basically Nei's successor.

From Online you could add the avatars Ash and Sue, but there are also characters such as Matoi, Rico and Elenor who are quite popular
Besides Ash and Sue, I think Kireek also has a chance...I mean, Sakurai does love his edgy characters. looks at Dark Pit, Iori and Sephiroth :cool:

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Also, How guys are you feeling about the next SE rep?
Tifa? Geno? 2B? Tressa? Neku?
I think getting new Square characters is going to get complicated depending on how much of the current Square roster returns for the next game. The balance between trying to get returning characters vs new characters feels very likely in this case.

As for who I think might show up next for Square, it feels like Geno has a pretty good shot considering his longtime popularity as a request and the big hurdle of irrelevancy being gone thanks to the remake coming out. Obviously I may be a bit biased since I really want him in, but I do think his chances have improved greatly since the remakes announcement.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
This just reminds me of that one DYKG talking about Nintendo of America trying to do different designs for the Pokemon when they were first trying to bring Pokemon to the West and tried to appeal to the West and how their version of Pikachu had a set of badonkers. Unless that was not correct.
Dude, I hope this **** is Lost Media. I don't want to imagine how cool the rest of the mons would became in America.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think getting new Square characters is going to get complicated depending on how much of the current Square roster returns for the next game. The balance between trying to get returning characters vs new characters feels very likely in this case.

As for who I think might show up next for Square, it feels like Geno has a pretty good shot considering his longtime popularity as a request and the big hurdle of irrelevancy being gone thanks to the remake coming out. Obviously I may be a bit biased since I really want him in, but I do think his chances have improved greatly since the remakes announcement.
Yeah Geno is definitely going to be talked about at least.

That said... Unless we get Everyone is Here 2, I'm not sure how ANY Square newcomer is going to get in over Cloud, Hero and Sephiroth. Its really hard to predict if the Square vets are even going to return, let alone newcomers.

I just hope Cloud stays at least.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah Geno is definitely going to be talked about at least.

That said... Unless we get Everyone is Here 2, I'm not sure how ANY Square newcomer is going to get in over Cloud, Hero and Sephiroth. Its really hard to predict if the Square vets are even going to return, let alone newcomers.

I just hope Cloud stays at least.
I think the one element that might give Square newcomers the edge is the desire to not make the Square representation look like a direct downgrade. Even if the new Square rep isn't as notable as the hypothetical missing characters, its still better to offer something new rather than making people want to play Ultimate instead.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I'm from the minority that ask for Primrose.
Any Octopath rep would be cool to me, what are the chances of it happening, tho? I think even Mana got a better shoot.

Yeah, i would be surprised if Geno isn't in the next game, he feels like he would be an easy inclusion, SE already accepted 3 of his most iconic characters in Smash, i doubt adding Geno would be much harder,, unless they want to push for 2B or something as the next character, which is...possible.

I'm also in the belief that the next game will just be a regular smash sequel with 8 or so cuts, so...

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
EVERYONE. HISTORY IS MADE TODAY!

Sukapon is finally international.
I'm just looking at Downtown Nekketsu March Super Awesome Field Day!

I'm so glad to see another Kunio-kun game finally added to the service after River City Ransom and Super Dodgeball.

I wish they showed the Battle Royal feature, though. I think that's the best feature in the game and one Smash Bros fans would be interested in seeing.

I know he will never happen.

But I love him so much. I'm so proud. ;-;
Why do you say he will never happen? He's already an AT. He might get upgraded in the next game.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
EVERYONE. HISTORY IS MADE TODAY!

Sukapon is finally international.
Hey that's cool that Joy Mech Fighter is coming over.

That said, Quest for Camelot is so frickin' random! Like it's odd enough that I'm seeing a game based on a movie getting a spot on the GB NSO, and done by the same people who did the Hercules GBC game, but not counting Goldeneye, isn't this our first NSO game to be based on a licensed movie/cartoon/etc? Like....I'm not against surprises, but this is just such a bizarre choice, especially when we don't have games like Super Mario Land, SML3: Wario Land, Wario Land 2, etc, yet.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I'm just looking at Downtown Nekketsu March Super Awesome Field Day!

I'm so glad to see another Kunio-kun game finally added to the service after River City Ransom and Super Dodgeball.

Why do you say he will never happen? He's already an AT. He might get upgraded in the next game.
Yeah, like we're all speculating, but we have no idea who will actually be in.
For all we know, Sakurai goes crazy and adds both my boy Sukapon and Takamaru, adds Adol Cris, Alis Landale and Jinx from LoL but leaves out Crash and Waluigi lol.
Anything is possible, only real rule is that it has to be a videogame character.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Any Octopath rep would be cool to me, what are the chances of it happening, tho? I think even Mana got a better shoot.

Yeah, i would be surprised if Geno isn't in the next game, he feels like he would be an easy inclusion, SE already accepted 3 of his most iconic characters in Smash, i doubt adding Geno would be much harder,, unless they want to push for 2B or something as the next character, which is...possible.

I'm also in the belief that the next game will just be a regular smash sequel with 8 or so cuts, so...
Octopath feels like a difficult series to represent by the very nature of its focus on having eight protagonists and how that almost makes choosing one over all the others a bit strange, at least form how I see things.

The remake existing makes Geno a much easier sell, especially if it is successful enough to warrant more Mario RPG projects between the two companies. A sequel feels like a very real possibility considering Super Mario RPG had two successor series, one of which originally being called "Super Mario RPG 2".

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't believe retro slots are a thing, and even if they were, he's too niche compared to the other options. Even if we were to get a Japan-exclusive character it would be Takamaru. Sakurai has gone on record that the scope of the game is getting to the point that he needs to talk to Nintendo about the sustainability of the franchise moving forward, and I don't believe he's as prone to spend his team's resources on a pick that niche at this point. Even the most recent surprise characters like Piranha Plant and Duck Hunt are widely recognizable and arguably video game icons in their own ways. As Smash has become a Hall of Fame for video game's greats, I see less and less room for obscure and forgotten Nintendo characters getting the spotlight.

I'd love to be wrong. I adore Sukapon. But I expect the next Smash game to prioritize bringing back every character and have a select few new characters that are notable omissions.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Octopath feels like a difficult series to represent by the very nature of its focus on having eight protagonists and how that almost makes choosing one over all the others a bit strange, at least form how I see things.

The remake existing makes Geno a much easier sell, especially if it is successful enough to warrant more Mario RPG projects between the two companies. A sequel feels like a very real possibility considering Super Mario RPG had two successor series, one of which originally being called "Super Mario RPG 2".

Yeah, i'm not betting in a Octopath rep, but it would be cool.
Tbf, you could also say the same about the starters or the arms characters that are all equally important, yet they still picked only one of them, so there's precedent for stuff like that. Octopath might be in another level as is the focus of the game like you said, tho, so idk.
I think Geno is very high in the likehood of begin the next SE rep, regardless.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
SNES it seems. Never played it but it looks like it borrows from more than puyo...
Then the game we are talking about is Kirby's Avalanche.

Fun fact: While a non-canon game, this is a game where Kirby had some actual dialogue...as in, he actually talks.

Top Bottom