• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
... Considering the movie and that Wrecking Crew is treated as its own universe in Smash Bros, would you consider Foreman Spike to be a retro pick?
if you all thought i was bitter about rex getting left out in favour of his gal pals you wont have seen anything if toad is left out in favour of this guy

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Do you think Toad, Waluigi, Geno, Dixie Kong, and Bandana Dee are all that’s missing to have really complete representation of their respective series? We can always get others like Cranky Kong, Wart, or basic enemies but I’m curious if the support for these series would keep up if we got all of these.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Do you think Toad, Waluigi, Geno, Dixie Kong, and Bandana Dee are all that’s missing to have really complete representation of their respective series? We can always get others like Cranky Kong, Wart, or basic enemies but I’m curious if the support for these series would keep up if we got all of these.
I don’t think there is a way to make it “complete” there is always another one that comes right after the last one
Like we lets say they add Toad, Waluigi, Geno and Dixie Kong there is still room for Foreman Spike, King Boo, Fawful, Pauline and Funky Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. and Kamek

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Toad to me should have been in ages ago. Probably since Brawl or even Melee. Waluigi, at least since Smash 4. Bandana Dee would be awesome and I agree would round out the Kirby Cast nicely.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i don't see how you can argue mario series representation would be complete with geno. he's a one off character

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Geno is less a part of the Mario series than Birdo and Petey Piranha, he's certainly not necessary to have a "complete representation" of the series any more than Lana would be to have complete representation of Zelda.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
people forget that there is no Mario RPG's side of representation in smash beside a paper mario stage and Geno mii costume just because its not canon doesnt mean its not important
I would even say that Pokémon representation isn’t complete without PMD rep

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Geno is less a part of the Mario series than Birdo and Petey Piranha, he's certainly not necessary to have a "complete representation" of the series any more than Lana would be to have complete representation of Zelda.
True, but he’s still a Mario character that a lot of people would still support so I included him there. If I had left Geno out, I’m sure Id get a lot of replies saying we’d still need him. Besides my friend who has Lana as his most wanted character, I don’t really see anyone else pushing for her. I don’t see a ton of support for other characters from these series beyond the ones named. I’m just curious if there would be a general consensus on who the community would support after these or if people would generally be satisfied with the representation for these series and shift their support to other franchises.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
people forget that there is no Mario RPG's side of representation in smash beside a paper mario stage and Geno mii costume just because its not canon doesnt mean its not important
I would even say that Pokémon representation isn’t complete without PMD rep
well how do you represent a sub series with a fighter when there’s no set characters? You certainly can’t do it with someone who only appears in one of them

sounds more like you’re saying representation isn’t complete without the spin offs I like. The Mario RPGs are doing better than a lot of the other spinoffs and no Pokemon spinoffs have representation

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Great, there's more Mario RPG representation in Smash than Hyrule Warriors representation, and no one says any of those exclusive characters are necessary. Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser appear frequently in the Mario RPGs as the main characters. They represent them. If you want an exclusive character, the most important character is obviously Paper Mario, given he's the lead of a multi-game sub-series.

And if characters who appear in the mainline don't count, only exclusive characters count, then none of the Mario spin-offs are represented other than the Dr. Mario sub-series.

True, but he’s still a Mario character that a lot of people would still support so I included him there. If I had left Geno out, I’m sure Id get a lot of replies saying we’d still need him. Besides my friend who has Lana as his most wanted character, I don’t really see anyone else pushing for her. I don’t see a ton of support for other characters from these series beyond the ones named. I’m just curious if there would be a general consensus on who the community would support after these or if people would generally be satisfied with the representation for these series and shift their support to other franchises.
Well he's not necessary for complete representation. He's a very minor character in the series as a whole. He's popular online, but that's something else.

If you went to an average player and said "people online say the Mario series isn't completely represented until a specific one-time party member from one of the Mario RPGs is playable on the Smash roster" they'd be flummoxed. Not unjustifiably, tbh. Geno very well may get in, but he's certainly not necessary.

And people will always find someone to support. You add Toad, Waluigi and Geno and people will still support Paper Mario, Pauline and probably like Kamek or someone. It's not like there's a quota of candidates per series or something, but eventually people will look to who they deem next in line.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Toad, Dixie Kong, Waluigi, and Bandana Dee all feel like "should've been in this thing a long time ago" characters (especially the first of those characters hint hint). Geno's not too necessary; I'd argue that someone like Pauline or King Boo would make the Mario series feel more complete.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Toad, Dixie Kong, Waluigi, and Bandana Dee all feel like "should've been in this thing a long time ago" characters (especially the first of those characters hint hint). Geno's not too necessary; I'd argue that someone like Pauline or King Boo would make the Mario series feel more complete.
Yeah, I agree that Geno isn’t really necessary as far as importance to the franchise but he’s had strong support from the fan community for many years. I think if Geno were to make it in, it would be due to that fan support. While King Boo and Pauline are more important to the series as a whole, they don’t tend to get the same support. You could also make the argument that Luigi’s Mansion is separate from the Mario games in the same way as Warioware, Captain Toad, and Yoshi games. I personally still consider all of them Mario characters but I’ve seen others claim otherwise due to them having their own series. Waluigi himself has only ever appeared in spinoff games and never in the main series.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
People like to tout Bandana Dee as the last necessary inclusion, and while I understand the mentality to an extent, I think Kirby would benefit from having more than that. Bandana Dee is a much simpler way of showing off Kirby's scope, but the franchise has a lot more hidden variety it could display.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Strangely enough I see Geno as a square rep rather than Mario rep. Not sure why just his design seems more like it is was conceived by the rpg makers at square instead of the platform makers at Nintendo. And no I don't know anything about super mario rpg's development lol. It's just an impression, kinda like they wanted a Black Mage clone in the game to attract FF fans.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
people forget that there is no Mario RPG's side of representation in smash beside a paper mario stage and Geno mii costume
Geno and Mallow both have Spirits.

Yeah, I agree that Geno isn’t really necessary as far as importance to the franchise but he’s had strong support from the fan community for many years. I think if Geno were to make it in, it would be due to that fan support.
And shilling the remake.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Geno and Mallow both have Spirits.

And shilling the remake.
That too but I don’t think the remake alone without the years of fan support would have been enough for Geno to make it into Smash. The remake definitely doesn’t hurt though.

osby

Smash Obsessed
That too but I don’t think the remake alone without the years of fan support would have been enough for Geno to make it into Smash. The remake definitely doesn’t hurt though.
Nah, all fan support a character has instantly disappears if they get a new game and Sakurai only looks for popularity in characters who are in limbo for over a decade.

Everyone knows a real fan would never support a dirty shill pick.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
People like to tout Bandana Dee as the last necessary inclusion, and while I understand the mentality to an extent, I think Kirby would benefit from having more than that. Bandana Dee is a much simpler way of showing off Kirby's scope, but the franchise has a lot more hidden variety it could display.
that feels like what geno was saying with the the series isn’t complete without what I want

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
They represent them. If you want an exclusive character, the most important character is obviously Paper Mario, given he's the lead of a multi-game sub-series.
Why would another Mario be the important rep and not a character that actually originates from the sub-series. This doesn't mean just Geno either. Fawful and Vivian would count. We has Rosalina for the Galaxy games, Wario for the Wario, Yoshi for Yoshi etc

And if we going down the neccessary logic than the only character that is really important is just Mario or Mario and Luigi.

Regardless, whether a series is compete really just depends on how you view it but i think when comes to bigger franchises, completion is lot harder to define.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Well, this question certainly generated some discussion.

For Mario, I think you would still see at least decent support for the likes of King Boo and Pauline. There just might not be as clear frontrunners as there are now, unless somebody breaks out or snowballs. Especially since it's such a massive series, I think people will likely always be asking for Mario reps. Plus a new 3D Mario game may very well introduce a new candidate like Sunshine and Galaxy had Jr and Rosa.
As for myself, I'd like Waluigi and Toad, and after that you could count me as almost satisfied, though I'd like King Boo and I could see myself supporting Pauline more if she keeps getting roles.

Dixie Kong definitely feels missing. Though after her yeah I would be satisfied with the DK representation. As of right now he may be a bit short IMO but after his upgrade to playable status in TF and Mario movie appearance, I wouldn't rule out Cranky Kong turning into a pretty strong candidate if they have further plans for him. Like for example if he becomes a regularly playable character in future DKC games then he would probably start looking good.

After getting Bandana Dee I'd still like to see Marx and Magolor. Dee being the perceived frontrunner for so long has really bottlenecked the Kirby series support. But the series has many at least reasonably popular characters, so no I don't think support for Kirby reps would go away. Again what we see right now is largely the result of having had a clear perceived frontrunner for so long.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Strangely enough I see Geno as a square rep rather than Mario rep. Not sure why just his design seems less like it is was conceived by the rpg makers at square instead of the platform makers at Nintendo. And no I don't know anything about super mario rpg's development lol. It's just an impression, kinda like they wanted a Black Mage clone in the game to attract FF fans.
Tbh that’s how I see it as well Geno is more of a square rep than a Mario rep
Great, there's more Mario RPG representation in Smash than Hyrule Warriors representation, and no one says any of those exclusive characters are necessary. Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser appear frequently in the Mario RPGs as the main characters. They represent them. If you want an exclusive character, the most important character is obviously Paper Mario, given he's the lead of a multi-game sub-series.

And if characters who appear in the mainline don't count, only exclusive characters count, then none of the Mario spin-offs are represented other than the Dr. Mario sub-series.

Well he's not necessary for complete representation. He's a very minor character in the series as a whole. He's popular online, but that's something else.

If you went to an average player and said "people online say the Mario series isn't completely represented until a specific one-time party member from one of the Mario RPGs is playable on the Smash roster" they'd be flummoxed. Not unjustifiably, tbh. Geno very well may get in, but he's certainly not necessary.

And people will always find someone to support. You add Toad, Waluigi and Geno and people will still support Paper Mario, Pauline and probably like Kamek or someone. It's not like there's a quota of candidates per series or something, but eventually people will look to who they deem next in line.
I want a paper Mario rep but I don’t want it to be paper Mario simply because I don’t want 3 playable Mario’s in smash even as someone who did play paper Mario, characters such as Dimentio and Vivian are most exciting for me and I want to see more of them instead of paper version of the same Mario characters that we see every in every modern paper Mario game

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Tbh that’s how I see it as well Geno is more of a square rep than a Mario rep

I want a paper Mario rep but I don’t want it to be paper Mario simply because I don’t want 3 playable Mario’s in smash even as someone who did play paper Mario characters such as Dimentio and Vivian are most exciting for me and I want to see more of them instead of paper version of the same Mario characters that we see every in every modern paper Mario game
I really want Goombella. She’s easily my favorite character from any of the Mario RPGs. I’ll settle for a normal Goomba too since they’re my favorite Mario enemies.

sal ig

Smash Apprentice
Why would another Mario be the important rep and not a character that actually originates from the sub-series. This doesn't mean just Geno either. Fawful and Vivian would count. We has Rosalina for the Galaxy games, Wario for the Wario, Yoshi for Yoshi etc
Idk vivian (a character that appeared in one game) is no where close to as popular or requested nearly as much as paper mario not to mention that paper mario is a completely different character from 2d/3d mainline mario

Paper mario has is hammer, the allies that he gets in his games, stickers, paint, 1,000 fold arms plus he could 100 percent include vivian in his moveset

I also see a lot of people saying they don't want three marios in the game but the thing is doc is a semi clone at most that if he wasn't included as an echo in melle would not be requested for his inclusion in smash while paper mario would be a completely new character that better represents his series than vivian

But maybe that's just me

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
here is the thing go ask Paper Mario fans who is their favorite paper mario character i bet Paper Mario himself wouldn't even be in the top 5 if you make a poll for Paper Mario fans

Gengar84

Smash Hero
here is the thing go ask Paper Mario fans who is their favorite paper mario character i bet Paper Mario himself wouldn't even be in the top 5 if you make a poll for Paper Mario fans
I already put my vote in for Goombella. Silent protagonists are almost never my favorite characters in their games and that includes Mario.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I don't want Paper Mario myself but this isn't how it works. It's like asking Pokemon fans, "who's your favorite Pokemon" and not getting Pikachu as the most popular answer. Or asking Mario fans for their favorite Mario character. Importance, recognizability, iconicness, even general-audience-level popularity itself are not wholly measured by popularity polls.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I don't want Paper Mario myself but this isn't how it works. It's like asking Pokemon fans, "who's your favorite Pokemon" and not getting Pikachu as the most popular answer. Or asking Mario fans for their favorite Mario character. Importance, recognizability, iconicness, even general-audience-level popularity itself are not wholly measured by popularity polls.
the difference is Pikachu and Mario are original therefore they are 1st to be included by default the argument doesnt work for Paper Mario because he is a different version of the same character that is already playable and the popularity, iconic and recognizability stuff are only because he is just copy of the original which is Mario himself
like if you show a pic for a cat mario, paper mario, dr. mario, mini mario and lego mario to any random person they will all say its Mario
so a fan favorite pick makes sense for paper mario representation

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
the difference is Pikachu and Mario are original therefore they are 1st to be included by default the argument doesnt work for Paper Mario because he is a different version of the same character that is already playable and the popularity, iconic and recognizability stuff are only because he is just copy of the original which is Mario himself
like if you show a pic for a cat mario, paper mario, dr. mario, mini mario and lego mario to any random person they will all say its Mario
Why the opinion of a random person should be important if the fan-favorite status is the determining criterion?

SPEN18

Smash Champion
But whether you consider Paper Mario his own character or just another version/costume/aesthetic of the original Mario (tbh I also actually lean towards the latter), he's still a character in the Paper Mario games.
Honestly if you remove him from consideration as a potential Paper-Mario-exclusive rep on the basis of him being Mario, all that really accomplishes is make it extremely unlikely that a Paper-Mario-exclusive rep would ever get in. And personally I am fine with that (i.e. both with considering Paper Mario as just another version of Mario and also with not getting a PM-exclusive rep).

sal ig

Smash Apprentice
But by putting paper mario in the game they are making the representation for the series the biggest it can be bcs what if I want goombario in the game instead of vivian well paper mario uses them both on one of his attacks same as parakarry, bow, koops and the others plus the ones that didn't make it into his moveset could be apart of his taunts or final smash
But
On the other hand what if I want representation of the newer paper mario games vivian isn't going to have any of those included in her moveset so really it's all just thousand year door

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If we get another Square-Enix character outside of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, I’m personally hoping for Chrono Trigger followed by Octopath Traveller.

Crono is the obvious choice for CT but I would ideally want Magus. This is mostly due to my own personal bias but I think that Magus has a legitimate argument being at least planned to be in all three games but only making it in two due to time constraints.

Octopath is harder since all heroes have equal importance. Since all characters can use any job, perhaps the best approach might be a Bowser Jr. scenario pulling moves from each class. Barring that, if I could only pick one, I’d go with H’aanit from the first game. Again, mostly due to personal bias but we don’t really have a hunter/huntress character in Smash that can call animal companions so she’d be really unique.

Beyond those two series, I think Star Ocean could be a lot of fun. In the extremely unlikely event that we get a character, it would most likely be one of the main protagonists. My personal favorite characters from the Star Ocean franchise are Nel Zelpher and Albel Nox, both from SO3.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
In general, I never really got the whole "we need to represent the Mario RPGs" sentiment. Maybe it's in part because there's more original characters in them compared to many other Mario spinoffs? I mean, a separate series with this level of success and sales would probably warrant a rep, but these games are all represented by the main Mario cast just as well as the other spinoffs like Kart, Party, Baseball, or Tennis. Not to mention much of their sales success is obviously due to that Mario branding; while being a part of the Marioverse shouldn't negate their success, you also can't just completely divorce them from the Mario series for the purpose of evaluating whether they warrant an exclusive rep. Especially when main Mario cast members are usually at least among the most important characters in these games.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah, I never really look at my most wanted characters in terms of any kind of representation. I basically just want characters I like. Everything beyond that is mostly used to try to support that and come up with (semi) reasonable arguments why they could be considered. Sometimes I can’t come up with any realistic reason why they would even be on the table like my favorite video game character Zegram from Rogue Galaxy and I always mention that whenever I bring him up.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Been thinking about characters from companies already represented and others that are not and what I think could be likely for the next game. This is mostly in relation to my MWs but with a more detailed view.

Koei Tecmo - I know Koei Tecmo has been working with Nintendo for a long time but I think I've come to accept that it may not mean much for Hayabusa himself. These collaborations mostly involved either the Fatal Frame games or the Koei Warrior games, so it should be no surprise that what we got in Smash were related to those games instead of Ninja Gaiden. But as for a rep, that's likely going need a push, though Hayabusa seems to be getting that. We'll see in the next game if that's enough.

Arc System Works - I truly believe there won't just be one character from this company. Sol Badguy would be the most obvious rep since Guilty Gear is like their golden child series. He could be either in the base roster or as DLC. Either way, he'd be a hyped character.

Then there's also the River City (which already has spirits in Smash) and Double Dragon characters. I think Kunio and Riki may have more of a chance than Billy and Jimmy. Even though Double Dragon has the name recognition, River City always seemed to be more of a priority for Technos Japan and now for ASW. Plus, River City is the most active beat'em up series in the genre and really popular in Japan. So it wouldn't surprise me if Kunio and Riki make it in where as I think Billy and Jimmy would likely need more of a push for their inclusion. Either way, with the way ASW is promoting both series, there's a good chance that Sol won't be the only ASW character.

I know there are some BlazBlue fans here but it seems like every since Guilty Gear got back in the spotlight, BlazBlue seems like it's taken a backseat, so the chances of Ragna or Jin being playable seems very slim to me at this point. They could get Mii costumes, though.

Microsoft (id Software) - Apart from the Doom Slayer mii costume, id Software seems to get along well with Nintendo (according to them anyway). Sakurai has twice pointed out how DOOM is the father of FPS and Nintendo even made a trailer showing how you can play the whole series on the Switch. Plus, there's also the Switch exclusive cover for the 2016 game. Oh and of course, you could say Mario kind of indirectly led to DOOM's existence. It's the kind of significance that I'm sure Nintendo would be looking for in a series for Smash Bros. If the talks with Nintendo led to the mii costume in Ultimate, then there's a good chance that it could lead to him being playable character in the next.

SEGA (Atlus) - I'm not sure if SEGA has series that are that highly demanded or that obvious. Sonic and Bayonetta were very obvious and Persona had Atlus but I'm not sure what other series have going for them. The only series I can think of is Shin Megami Tensei and that's for the same reason as Persona. However, there's also kind of more to it than that. It's also one of the longest running RPG series in the genre (having started in the mid 80s) and it does feature direct collaborations with Nintendo. Plus, there's also Sakurai's obvious love for RPGs, so this could lead to a playable representation in the game. He and Nintendo would likely want to show where Persona really started from and you can't help but feel that Joker and a SMT rep in Smash feels more complete that way.

Nihon Falcom - For major Japanese companies that don't have anything in Smash so far, this is one I think has a good chance of being represented in the next. Like I said, Sakurai has an obvious love for RPGs. Therefore, it's no surprise that in his YouTube series, he made a video pretty much dedicated to Ys and Dragon Slayer, two pioneers of the RPG genre. Series with that kind of significance is just what Nintendo might want for Smash.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Plus, there's also the Switch exclusive cover for the 2016 game.
This isn't true and is the pinnacle of reaching when we're going "But the cover art!"

Oh and of course, you could say Mario kind of indirectly led to DOOM's existence
You can say this for so many games that this isn't even remotely noteworthy.

I know you're a massive Doom Slayer fanboy but he has more than enough merit without reaching for flimsy Nintendo connections that don't even matter.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If we get another Square-Enix character outside of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, I’m personally hoping for Chrono Trigger followed by Octopath Traveller.

Crono is the obvious choice for CT but I would ideally want Magus. This is mostly due to my own personal bias but I think that Magus has a legitimate argument being at least planned to be in all three games but only making it in two due to time constraints.

Octopath is harder since all heroes have equal importance. Since all characters can use any job, perhaps the best approach might be a Bowser Jr. scenario pulling moves from each class. Barring that, if I could only pick one, I’d go with H’aanit from the first game. Again, mostly due to personal bias but we don’t really have a hunter/huntress character in Smash that can call animal companions so she’d be really unique.

Beyond those two series, I think Star Ocean could be a lot of fun. In the extremely unlikely event that we get a character, it would most likely be one of the main protagonists. My personal favorite characters from the Star Ocean franchise are Nel Zelpher and Albel Nox, both from SO3.
Personally if another Square character joined the playable roster of smash i want it to be Neku.

So many bangers in the Twewy soundtrack

I can picture the trailer just being lifted from the game, where Neku wakes up in Shibuya dazed and confused and as he gets up he recieves the message "Join Smash. Or face erasure."
And too really throw people off bring Joker back and have Neku wake up in the Persona 5 version of Shibuya before revealing it's a smash bros thing.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
This isn't true and is the pinnacle of reaching when we're going "But the cover art!"
Yes it is. That was used for the Nintendo Switch cover art.

You can say this for so many games that this isn't even remotely noteworthy.

I know you're a massive Doom Slayer fanboy but he has more than enough merit without reaching for flimsy Nintendo connections that don't even matter.
If you bothered to read more than just two sentences, you would have seen where I mentioned what those other merits were.

Don't mess with me.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Yes it is. That was used for the Nintendo Switch cover art.

If you bothered to read more than just two sentences, you would have seen where I mentioned what those other merits were.
I read the whole thing, I'm pointing out where you're making silly reaches.

Don't mess with me.
Watch out guys, we got a badass keyboard warrior over here

Top Bottom