• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Laniv

Smash Champion
Let Straight Lunge reflect projectiles so Mac has an answer to strong projectiles like Kazuya.
... honestly, yeah let's do it. If Villager can pick up beams of energy, surely Little Mac is tough enough to punch away lightning coming at him.

I am interested , How is , Little Mac , one of the most wanted First Party characters ?
...were you not around for pre-Smash 4 speculation? Mac was consistently one of the most wanted first parties, and one of the most wanted characters, period. People wanted that guy since before Brawl.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
OMG Momotsuki Momotsuki I knew I recognized that font welcome back where u been? Still making mods? This is almost shaping up to be like the old thread! Missing some other key posters tho haha
Hey! Unfortunately my Switch kicked the can about a year ago now and there's nothing that's enticing me to where I'm willing to save up or shell out for a new one. Lately I've mostly been playing Melee, Project+, and the beautiful abomination that is PMEX REMIX on my Wii. I'm kind of interested in getting into Brawl modding, too! I have an idea for a certain possessive ribbon-haired redhead.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
There is a slight issue with Everywhere Is Here - one of the Smash 4 stages has Boss Ridley, I forgot the name but the only way I can see that stage return is if they replace Boss Ridley with some other Metroid boss

I know some other Wii U stages couldn’t make it due to the amount of particle generation or something. Hopefully the next system is stronger
I mean it is technically a different character, since the Ridley in Smash is the 1-Super version, who canonically dies before Other M. Maybe if they wanted to they could show him in all his stages of growth or something. It could also be his X-Parasite version if they don't want to exclusively pull from Other M, but that'd ruin my idea for a playable X, so I'd rather they didn't

"Maybe it's worth slimming down the roster so that energy can be spent on X or Y" is something worth discussing to be certain
Definitely, I can 100% see the benefits to cutting returning characters to make room for new ones, but it isn't one-to-one anyway. Like, cutting Doctor Mario isn't going to suddenly mean they have enough time and resources to add Crash Bandicoot or something, they just aren't comparable

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I am interested , How is , Little Mac , one of the most wanted First Party characters ?

Zero Suit Samus , makes perfect sense because Samus should not be without her armor

Again , Earthbound / Mother , series is dead. Additionally i REALLY DON'T want any young children playable characters in Smash
Little Mac was genuinely one of the single most wanted characters during the lead up to Smash 4, particularly in the west. He was pretty much only behind Ridley, K. Rool, Mega Man, and the return of Mewtwo, right alongside Palutena.

I... really don't like this. Like, it's no more difficult than something like Jaqueline or Elijah, and I never see people struggling with those - it's literally just pronounced how it's spelt.
Yeah not gonna lie the Kazuya part bothered me too for the same reason. Incredibly anglocentric.

Also iirc fogbadge is Scottish. If you can't remember or pronounce (???) Kazuya's name and you come from somewhere that frequently uses Gaelic names...that's not okay, man. Glass houses and all.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Little Mac was genuinely one of the single most wanted characters during the lead up to Smash 4, particularly in the west. He was pretty much only behind Ridley, K. Rool, Mega Man, and the return of Mewtwo, right alongside Palutena.

Yeah not gonna lie the Kazuya part bothered me too for the same reason. Incredibly anglocentric.

Also iirc fogbadge is Scottish. If you can't remember or pronounce (???) Kazuya's name and you come from somewhere that frequently uses Gaelic names...that's not okay, man. Glass houses and all.
what makes you think I can pronounce Gaelic words? it’s just a random name I can’t pronounce how is that sinister?

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
A 'ittle ironic. I remember a non-videogame character for Smash thread, and you said you wanted Himawari (Naruto's daughter) in Smash, a young child.

just go to this thread, pretty sure that he will edit it after this post.
umm not certain how what i was posting about is even remotely related to adding non video game characters to smash.

Himawari , is 2 Years younger , 14 , than her brother , Boruto ,16 , as of the time skip. I am assuming they would at least use this age.

Additionally When I post young children . i mean AGE 12 or less.

If i meant anyone under the age of 18 , even , LINK , would have to be cut.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Champion
As a segue into a new topic, what are some things that people would like outside of the playable roster/stage selection?

Here are some things that I’d like:

Unranked Quickplay: This is my most wanted because I normally don’t like playing ranked modes

Expanded Squad Strike Modes: it would be cool to see elimination and tag team getting fleshed out into something like Smash Remix’s 12 Character Battle and Project M/+’s All-Star Smash.

These are some minor things that would be nice, but not as important to me.

Being able to have your fighter retained between matches.

Random Character Toggle: This is mostly just for fun in case I want to do random matches with a certain group of characters like Brawl cast only.

This is totally unrealistic because of how chaotic and taxing 8-player battles are, but 12-player battles could be fun to see (Super Smash Bros Rumble had it, and it was laggy, chaotic fun).

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Zero Suit Samus , makes perfect sense because Samus should not be without her armor

Again , Earthbound / Mother , series is dead. Additionally i REALLY DON'T want any young children playable characters in Smash
I am genuinely convinced that this dude is an AI

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Mac's problem isn't that his aerial attacks are too bad to be viable, it's that his ground moves don't have enough utility to really make up for not having good aerials.
Mac's problem is he is dead the moment there is no longer ground beneath his feet...in a game where getting back from getting knocked off the stage is the entire game.

So then you are saying even Sakurai spoke coward when he said the same thing ?

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
As a segue into a new topic, what are some things that people would like outside of the playable roster/stage selection?
Improved Smash Run with Online and Player Interaction

Squad Strike we can choose how many characters instead of being limited 3-on-3 or 5-on-5

Boss Rush/The True Arena

Spirits Mode to return in some shape and form and for Spirits to have descriptions this time

Bring back Fire Mario and Black Yoshi and Meta's Knight Final Smash from Brawl to 4

For the Adventure Mode to be a World of Light Sequel

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Just popping in to say FTC lost appeal in ABK case so it looks like MS will soon own ABK.

For Smash, have fun putting your favorite ABK characters under the MS umbrella!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
-Rollback netcode.
-Make Hazardless versions of stages selectable from stage select the same way Omega and Battlefield versions are.
-Remember my last color selection for each character. Smash 3DS did this. No idea why Wii U and Ultimate don't.
-Actually balance FS Meter FSes so that people will actually use them in competitive play.
-Kirby style Boss Rush mode.
-Bring back the Smash Run map as a Battle Royal. (64 players teleport in. Players run around killing creeps and collecting upgrades. Map shrinks over time. Last 4 surviving players have a Smash match.)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
what makes you think I can pronounce Gaelic words?
Okay let's try this from the top.

Your original comment wasn't an honest mistake.

Kazuya is not a difficult name to pronounce or spell. It's three syllables. It's read exactly as it's spelled. The game also says it aloud whenever you pick him or whenever he wins. Now maybe you never bought Kazuya, but considering how often you're online (you're a regular here) I'll be you watched some videos where he was mentioned.

If you honestly forgot how to spell it, you could have just used Google. It's right there.

Instead, you go ahead and make a drawn out joke about not being able to pronounce the name Kazuya.... On a text based forum, where pronunciation isn't even necessary. You even started to spell the word Kazuya for your joke, so you blatantly know how to spell it.

It was a slam about Kazuya, and even if you didn't intend it, it comes off as racially motivated. The joke is eerily similar to comments actual racists do when insulting other cultures. Especially east Asian ones like where Kazuya is meant to be from.

At best, the joke is horrifically tone deaf. At worst, it's covered with racial implications. You should have just said you didn't like Kazuya. It would have saved everyone the trouble.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace

This is totally unrealistic because of how chaotic and taxing 8-player battles are, but 12-player battles could be fun to see (Super Smash Bros Rumble had it, and it was laggy, chaotic fun).
1 MOST IMPORTANT ;

Mini Games

4 payload delivery
3 Volleyball
2 Mini-Golf
1 Soccer

WHY ? , Because this can draw the casuals who would be waay too intimidated by Smash's regular gameplay , to be interested in the game.

also would be delighted with any other suggestions of casual friendly mini games

New Items = ( Gold Flower & Morpho Sword )

12 character battle = ABSOLUTELY NOT. , 8 player battles are bad enough

I am genuinely convinced that this dude is an AI
Maybe it;'s just me , i just have an extremely hard time believing a character with the WORST AERIAL options in the game was highly desired.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Maybe it;'s just me , i just have an extremely hard time believing a character with the WORST AERIAL options in the game was highly desired.

These two things are not related? People wanting a character to be included and the characters implementation are not direct correlations. One blatantly came before the other. Which do you think is it?

There is no logic in your response. Wtf is this reasoning.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
1 MOST IMPORTANT ;

Mini Games

4 payload delivery
3 Volleyball
2 Mini-Golf
1 Soccer

WHY ? , Because this can draw the casuals who would be waay too intimidated by Smash's regular gameplay , to be interested in the game.

also would be delighted with any other suggestions of casual friendly mini games

New Items = ( Gold Flower & Morpho Sword )

12 character battle = ABSOLUTELY NOT. , 8 player battles are bad enough

Do you think people who wanted Mac wanted him for his bad air game which didn't even exist yet?

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman

Kazuya is not a difficult name to pronounce or spell. It's three syllables. It's read exactly as it's spelled. The game also says it aloud whenever you pick him or whenever he wins. Now maybe you never bought Kazuya, but considering how often you're online (you're a regular here) I'll be you watched some videos where he was mentioned.

If you honestly forgot how to spell it, you could have just used Google. It's right there.

Instead, you go ahead and make a drawn out joke about not being able to pronounce the name Kazuya.... On a text based forum, where pronunciation isn't even necessary. You even started to spell the word Kazuya for your joke, so you blatantly know how to spell it.

It was a slam about Kazuya, and even if you didn't intend it, it comes off as racially motivated. The joke is eerily similar to comments actual racists do when insulting other cultures. Especially east Asian ones like where Kazuya is meant to be from.

At best, the joke is horrifically tone deaf. At worst, it's covered with racial implications. You should have just said you didn't like Kazuya. It would have saved everyone the trouble.
This is what I was basically wanting to say earlier but didn't in case it was a horrifically tone deaf mistake and not full-on bigotry.

But, thinking about it, if I'd said something that tone deaf, I'd 100% want to be corrected so it didn't happen again.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

it’s not a joke. I literally can’t pronounce his name. and I’ve never heard his name, never played as him, never played with anyone who played as him, never played tekken, watched the sakurai presents on mute. also I don’t watch videos of other people playing games so it hasn’t come up ever. and it would seem I remember audio information better than visual.

I’ll give you the google thing though that I probably should have done.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace

These two things are not related? People wanting a character to be included and the characters implementation are not direct correlations. One blatantly came before the other. Which do you think is it?

There is no logic in your response. Wtf is this reasoning.
Everyone else who had no interest in him , would have figured out ; Little Mac would have a terrible air game. it is common sense.

Interesting how common sense is not logical according to you.

Moreover none of you have produced any evidence , he was significantly desired in the first place.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
it’s not a joke. I literally can’t pronounce his name. and I’ve never heard his name, never played as him, never played with anyone who played as him, never played tekken, watched the sakurai presents on mute. also I don’t watch videos of other people playing games so it hasn’t come up ever. and it would seem I remember audio information better than visual.

To give you the benefit of the doubt.

It's Kaa-zoo-yah.

Say it out loud until you learn it. Now you know. Now there is no excuse.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Honestly with the stages I really would rather see less returning stages for the sake of focus on more new stages, less redundancy on the stage roster, and potential updates/touch-ups on the stages that do return.
The main thing that miffles me about the returning stages is the amount of World 1-1 Mario stages we have that are redundant. This wouldn't be as baffling if not for the fact that we don't have a single stage for Bowser's castle yet.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Everyone else who had no interest in him , would have figured out ; he would have a terrible air game. it is common sense.

Moreover none of you have produced any evidence , he was significantly desired in the first place.
Literally check any fan poll from the Smash 4 era. He was like, top five or six at worst. Always in the top ten regardless.

And no, it's actually not "common sense" that he'd have bad air game. He doesn't jump in his games? Even ignoring the fact that his signature maneuver is a leaping uppercut, neither does Marth, and his air game is great. Boxers need incredibly strong legs, much like all martial artists, including swordfighters. Ergo, it's reasonable to actually expect good air game.

But that's the thing: it wasn't even logical to consider that as a factor. Sakurai introduced that aspect out of nowhere upon his reveal. A reveal which, by the way, garnered incredibly positive reactions from people online...because Little Mac was a very highly requested character.

Don't try to revise history when talking to those who lived through it.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Everyone else who had no interest in him , would have figured out ; he would have a terrible air game. it is common sense.

Alright dude. I'll admit it.

I fed the troll. I took the bait.

Lets just move on.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
sorry disliking a personality is sexist? how? that's literally personal. you're just seeing what you want to see as usual. the face thing is cause it's pure uncanny valley it'd be weird no matter who or what it was on
You do realize how this would come across if you said these things to/about a woman in real life right? If you said that you do not like a woman's personality to her This is not the first time you have been called out for being sexist about this specific thing and others. Like the time you went into a sexist tirade about Lara Croft or Bayonetta. It seems you have an issue with assertive women, or rather "their personality".

Heck, your handling of Kazuya might be an attempt at humor, but it comes off as racist. You should be conscious of how you say things on a text based forum. Not having basic capitalization and punctuation at times can even further obscure what you are trying to say. This has happened multiple times and people have called you out on it. Please be better.

Here are some things that I’d like:

Unranked Quickplay: This is my most wanted because I normally don’t like playing ranked modes

Expanded Squad Strike Modes: it would be cool to see elimination and tag team getting fleshed out into something like Smash Remix’s 12 Character Battle and Project M/+’s All-Star Smash.

These are some minor things that would be nice, but not as important to me.

Being able to have your fighter retained between matches.

Random Character Toggle: This is mostly just for fun in case I want to do random matches with a certain group of characters like Brawl cast only.

Here are a few things I would really like.

• A dynamic stage hazard toggle. The current binary one is disappointing. I would love platform layouts on Wily Castle. I want to set the right layout for Arena Ferox. Let me have static backgrounds on Umbra Clock Tower and Northern Cave.
  • On top of this, let me customize my hazard toggle for rulesets. I would love to have my random stage selection cycle between Town and City with Hazards, FoD with Hazards, or Pokemon Stadium 2 with Hazards Off. It would be great to have this accessibility.
  • Better Online.
  • Online Squad Strike.
  • Classic mode bosses shuffled a lit, give me less Master and Crazy Hand.
  • All Star mode like in Melee. Randomly going through the roster with a final boss, even if its just the hands it would be sick.
  • Boss Rush Mode.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Here's a question: If you could ask Sakurai any single question about any one Smash game, what would you ask him?

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Everyone who wanted him or otherwise knew nothing about how Sakurai would make , Little Mac , play except there'd be a lot of punching.
Have you ever seen a , boxing match , with lots of jumping ?

again common sense.

I fed the troll. I took the bait. Lets just move on.
feels like you are the troll.

no evidence.

claims which go against natural reasoning.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Everyone else who had no interest in him , would have figured out ; Little Mac would have a terrible air game. it is common sense.

Little Mac's character thread prior to and after his reveal in the Smash 4 section of the website is one of the longest

Not to mention all kinds of Brawl to 2012 Smash wishlist threads both here and on other sites always had Mac, Isaac, K. Rool, and Ridley on their lists. Just because you're too young to remember that era of speculation doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Kazuya.

Its right there lol If you can pronounce names like Sora and Ryu it shouldnt be hard.

Unless your one of those weirdos who says Rayu

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I wonder how Sakurai would try to explain no Boss Rush mode in Ult if asked about it in an interview.

That wouldn't be my "one question" tho. That'd probably be like 999 questions rolled into one run-on sentence that ends in a question mark.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here's a question: If you could ask Sakurai any single question about any one Smash game, what would you ask him?
How was the Mizzo meant to behave/attack in the Subspace Emissary before being scrapped and made into a single-room cameo?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Moving on from all the controversial stuff, how about a brand new topic.

Typically Smash has been Nintendo oriented, but Ultimate in particular added a ton of third party characters and franchises.

Do you think future Smash games will be more Nintendo oriented or do you think the series will become more third party oriented as it continues?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
- I'd love the return of custom moves, though it does necessitate either a rerelease or significantly smaller roster to be feasible.

- More and better single-player modes. Not necessarily any story modes, just some meaty, replayable solo stuff to sink my fangs into. Smash Run with a variety of map options could be particularly fantastic with regards to returning modes, but I'd love to see entirely new ones too!

- Custom alts. Let players change the hue, saturation, shininess etc. of certain textures or materials on a fighter. Obviously with some common-sense restrictions to prevent anything distasteful. Maybe to unlock the ability to customize alts on a given fighter, you have to complete a difficult single-player challenge with them!

- Let me change the sizes of Miis in-game again. I miss Small Mii Brawler so much.

- And probably a lot more stuff that I can't think of right now.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Moving on from all the controversial stuff, how about a brand new topic.

Typically Smash has been Nintendo oriented, but Ultimate in particular added a ton of third party characters and franchises.

Do you think future Smash games will be more Nintendo oriented or do you think the series will become more third party oriented as it continues?
I think that it will inevitably skew more third party as time goes on, if only due to a single Smash game tending to include more new fighters than Nintendo produces new IP in the same time period. So unless there's a greater backlog focus for first parties, it just seems sound to assume it will include more third party additions as time goes on.

Top Bottom